AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 8 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- India’s 1st Kisan Rail was flagged off by railway minister Piyush Goyal & Agriculture minister Narendra Singh Tomar recently. The 1st Kisan rail ran from Maharashtra to which state?
3) West Bengal
5) KarnatakaAnswer-4) Bihar
Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Railways and Narendra Singh Tomar, Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare flagged off the India’s 1st Kisan Rail, a Special Parcel Train from Maharashtra’s Devlali to Bihar’s Danapur Railway station through video link. This is the 1st ever multi commodity train of Indian Railways(IR) that carries fruits like Pomegranate, Banana, Grapes etc and vegetables like Capsicum, Cauliflower etc. The train will run on a weekly basis.
- PM Narendra Modi addressed Conclave on Transformational Reforms in Higher Education under National Education Policy (NEP) organized by which ministry?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Education
3) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) Ministry of CoalAnswer-2) Ministry of Education
Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered the inaugural address at the Conclave on Transformational Reforms in Higher Education under National Education Policy(NEP) organized by the Ministry of Education in association with University Grants Commission(UGC) over a virtual platform and discussed various aspects of NEP 2020, which replaces the National Policy on Education framed in 1986 with academicians and scientists.
- Name the coastal village which is/are 1st in Indian Ocean Region termed as ‘tsunami ready’ by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 1) and 3)Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) recognises Venkatraipur and Noliasahi, villages of Odisha as ‘Tsunami Ready’ for their overall preparedness to face the tsunami. With this recognition, Odisha became the first state in the India and India became the 1st Country in the Indian Ocean region to achieve the honour from the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO. Note – Venkatraipur (Boxipalli) village is in Rangeilunda block in Ganjam district & Noliasahi village of Ersama block in Jagatsinghpur district.
- Which organization collaborated with Simplilearn to upskill professionals in digital skills?
1) National Skill Development Corporation
2) National Skill Enhancement Agency
3) Industrial training institute
4) Tata STRIVE Extension Centre
5) Skill Development and Entrepreneurship AgencyAnswer-1) National Skill Development Corporation
In order to support the continuity of digital skilling of the Indian workforce, Simplilearn, a global provider of digital skills training joined hands with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). Under this collaboration, Simplilearn will host more than 1,000 hours of free learning in digital skills and technologies for learners across India under the categories of AI and Machine Learning, Big Data, Data Science & Business Intelligence, Cyber Security, Software Development, Project management, and Digital marketing. This partnership is aligned to the Skill India Mission.
- Which is 1st state in India to partner with Google India to provide learning tools for schools?
5) KeralaAnswer-2) Maharashtra
Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Uddhav Thackeray announced the partnership with Google which will blend google’s learning programmes that integrate the classroom approach with online learning, over a virtual launch event. Maharashtra became the first state in India to collaborate with Google India for state-wide distribution of G suite for Education and Google Classroom.
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) amended the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Liquidation Process) Regulations, 2016 recently. Who is the chairperson of IBBI?
1) Tapan Roy
3) M S Sahoo
4) A S Mehta
5) Amitabh KantAnswer-3) M S Sahoo
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (t) of sub-section (1) of section 196 read with section 240 of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (31 of 2016), the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) amended the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Liquidation Process) Regulations, 2016 by the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Liquidation Process) (Third Amendment) Regulations, 2020.MS Sahoo is the chairperson of IBBI.
- Which organization in association with Indian School Certificate Examinations(CISCE) and Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)host an online program for training of Physical Education (PE) Teachers from CISCE Schools on “Khelo India Fitness Assessment of School Going Children”?
1) Athletics Federation of India
2) Indian Olympic Association
3) Sports Authority of India
4) Sports Federation of India
5) National Sports OrganisationAnswer-3) Sports Authority of India
Sports Authority of India(SAI) in association with Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations(CISCE) and Central Board of Secondary Education(CBSE) will host an online training programme through the Khelo India Mobile App (KIMA) to train the Physical Education (PE) teachers and head of the institutions from CISCE schools on “Khelo India Fitness Assessment of School Going Children”.
- Which language was dropped from list of examples of foreign languages in National Education Policy?
5) JapaneseAnswer-4) Mandarin
The National Education Policy (NEP) has dropped Mandarin or ‘Chinese’ from its list of examples of foreign languages that can be taught in schools. The language was included in the draft version of the Policy released in May 2019, but was missing from the final Policy document approved by the Union Cabinet.
- Mahinda Rajapaksa’s Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna party registers landslide victory in 2020 Sri Lankan Parliamentary elections. Who is the president of Sri Lanka?
1) Namal Rajapaksa
2) Basil Rajapaksa
3) Gotabaya Rajapaksa
4) Maithripala Sirisena
5) Shiranthi RajapaksaAnswer-3) Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Parliamentary elections in Sri Lanka were held on 5 August 2020 to elect 225 members to Sri Lanka’s 16th Parliament. Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) headed by Mahinda Rajapaksa has won 145 (plus five more seats from allies) in the elections, securing two-thirds majority in the parliament. The two-thirds supermajority will give them powers to change the constitution. Gotabaya Rajapaksa is the current President of Sri Lanka.
- As per Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), the 1st International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste will be observed on _________ 2020.
1) 21st September
2) 8th August
3) 29th September
4) 29th August
5) 15th AugustAnswer-3) 29th September
The Food and Agriculture Organization(FAO) unveiled a new Platform, to support the global reduction of food loss and waste. The official launch of the platform will be on the first International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste(IDAFLW) which will be observed on 29th September 2020.
- The Export-Import bank of India has extended a Line of Credit of USD 250 million to which country?
5) MalawiAnswer-3) Mozambique
Export-Import Bank on behalf of Indian Government, extended a Line of Credit of USD 250 million (about Rs. 1,870 Crores) to Mozambique to improve the power supply quality of the country.
- How much was the amount that was granted by Asian Development Bank to Reliance Bangladesh LNG & power limited for 718 mw power plant in Bangladesh?
1) USD 500 million
2) USD 300 million
3) USD 200 million
4) USD 100 million
5) USD 400 millionAnswer-3) USD 200 million
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a USD 200 million financing deal with the Reliance Bangladesh LNG and Power Limited (RBLPL) to build and operate a 718 megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in Bangladesh. The project will reduce the current energy deficit and lead to more private sector investment in the country’s electricity sector.The financing deal has two components of dollar 100 million each.
- What is the current reverse repo rate (as on August 7, 2020)?
5) 4.15%Answer-2) 3.35%
To state “2020-21 Resolution of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC)” a three-day meeting of Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) six-member MPC, headed by Shaktikanta Das was held from August 4-6, 2020 where it was forecasted that India’s real gross domestic product (GDP) will contract in the first half (H1) of FY21 as well as full FY 2020-21 in view of rising inflation and declining of economic growth amid the gradual lifting of COVID-19) countrywide lockdown. The central bank kept the repo rate unchanged at 4%, reverse repo rate at 3.35%, and marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 4.25%.
Policy Rates Repo Rate 4% Reverse Repo Rate 3.35% Marginal Standing Facility Rate (MSF) 4.25% Bank Rate 4.25% Reserve Ratios Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) 3% Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) 18%
- Who heads the committee formed by Reserve Bank of India to set up a new mechanism for stressed assets (committee will also evaluate resolution plans where debt is more than Rs 1,500 crore.)?
1) Diwakar Gupta
2) N. Manoharan
3) KV Kamath
4) Ashvin Parekh
5) None of the AboveAnswer-3) KV Kamath
RBI has decided to set up a new mechanism for stressed assets that need rescuing. In this regard, RBI will set up a committee under KundapurVaman Kamath, the former chairman of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) Bank and ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) Bank to set the parameters and benchmarks for this programme aimed at the resolution of stressed loans. This committee will also evaluate resolution plans where debt is more than Rs 1,500 crore.
- The RBI has decided to provide additional standing liquidity facility of ______ for National Housing Bank (NHB) & National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
1) 10,000 Cr
2) 15,000 Cr
3) 25,000 Cr
4) 30,000 Cr
5) 50,000 CrAnswer-1) 10,000 Cr
RBI announces additional special liquidity facility of Rs 5000 cr each for NHB & NABARD. NHB: RBI has decided to provide an additional standing liquidity facility (ASLF) of Rs 5,000 crore to National Housing Bank (NHB), over and above Rs10,000 crores already provided, for supporting housing finance companies (HFCs). The facility will be for a period of 1 year and will be charged at the RBI’s repo rate. NABARD: An ASLF of Rs 5,000 crore provided to NABARD for a period of 1 year at the RBI’s policy repo rate for refinancing Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC)- Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs) and other smaller NBFCs of asset size of Rs 500 crore and less to support agriculture and allied activities and the rural non-farm sector. A Liquidity support of Rs 25,000 crore was extended to the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) in April 2020.
- Which organization plans to set up ‘Innovation Hub’ to promote financial inclusion, efficient banking?
1) Forward Market Commission of India
2) Reserve Bank of India
3) Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India
4) Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority
5) Securities and Exchange Board of IndiaAnswer-2) Reserve Bank of India
To promote innovation across the financial sector by leveraging on technology into areas such as cybersecurity, data analytics, delivery platforms, and payment services, Reserve Bank will set up an Innovation Hub in India. The Innovation Hub will act as a centre for ideation and incubation of new capabilities which would facilitate and foster innovation. This move is on the lines of the RBI regulatory sandbox framework under which 6 proposals were received, the pilot studies or trials of which have been delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) signed MoU with which IIT to strengthen data-driven decision making?
1) IIT Kharagpur
2) IIT Kanpur
3) IIT Delhi
4) IIT Madras
5) IIT CalcuttaAnswer-3) IIT Delhi
National Highways Authority of India signed an agreement with Indian Institute of Technology Delhi to set up a Centre of Excellence (CoE) for use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in data driven decision making and Advance Data Management System for Highways (ADMS Highways). The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed in the presence of Dr. Sukhbir Singh Sandhu, Chairman NHAI and Dr V Ram Gopal Rao Director, IIT Delhi.
- Find the person who has been appointed as the 14th Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India.
1) Hardayal Prasad
2) Arvind Saxena
3) Pradeep Kumar Joshi
4) Rajiv Mehrishi
5) Girish ChandraMurmuAnswer-5) Girish Chandra Murmu
Ram NathKovind, President of India as per the powers conferred on him by Section 1 of Article 148 of the Constitution of India has appointed Girish Chandra(GC) Murmu as 14th Comptroller and Auditor General(CAG) of India, with effect from the date he assumes charge of his office. He succeeds Rajiv Mehrishi who completes his term on August 8,2020 as he attains the age of 65.GC Murmu will take oath on August 8, 2020 at the RashtrapatiBhawan. He is the first tribal person to become CAG of India. He will have a tenure up to November 20, 2024.
- Pradeep Kumar Joshi has been appointed the chairman of which organization?
1) University Grants Commission
2) Archaeological Survey of India
3) Central Board of Secondary Education
4) Union Public Service Commission
5) None of the AboveAnswer-4) Union Public Service Commission
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) appointed Professor Pradeep Kumar Joshi as its new Chairman. His tenure as the chairman of the UPSC will be till April 4, 2022. He succeeds Arvind Saxena who retires as the UPSC chairman on 6th August 2020.
- Hardayal Prasad who has been appointed as the MD&CEO of PNB housing finance is the former head of which company?
1) Export-Import Bank of India
2) SBI Card
3) National Housing Bank
4) Industrial Finance Corporation of India
5) Bharti Axa General InsuranceAnswer-2) SBI Card
PNB Housing Finance, promoted by Punjab National Bank(PNB)announced the appointment of Former State Bank of India(SBI) Card Head, Hardayal Prasad as its new Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO). Prasad will take over from Neeraj Vyas, the current interim CEO of PNB housing finance on 10th August 2020.
- Life Insurance Corporation of India has acquired 4.23% stake in which bank?
1) Axis bank
2) YES bank
3) HDFC bank
4) IDBI bank
5) RBL bankAnswer-2) YES bank
Life Insurance Corporation of India(LIC) has acquired 4.23% Stake(105.98 crore shares) of YES Bank by purchasing from the open market. With this acquisition, the hold of LIC in YES Bank has increased from 0.75%(19 crore shares) to 4.98%(125 crore shares). Period of acquisition is between September 21, 2017, and July 31, 2020.
- Which ministry has launched a new version of the India Water Resources Information System (India-WRIS)?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
3) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) Ministry of Jal ShaktiAnswer-5) Ministry of Jal Shakti
The Ministry of Jal Shakti(MoJS) has launched a new version of the India Water Resources Information System (India-WRIS) with new functions and features. It is open to the public, and accessible through the web portal www.indiawris.gov.in. The MoJS has established a dedicated organization, National Water Informatics Centre (NWIC) to maintain and update India-WRIS.
- Who authored the book titled “Amazing Ayodhya”?
1) S Hussain Zaidi
2) Mukul Deva
3) Kishwar Desai
4) Neena Rai
5) AshwinSanghiAnswer-4) Neena Rai
“Amazing Ayodhya” A book by Neena Rai promises to shed light on the history of Ayodhya. The book is set to give “authentic information” about the city of Ayodhya and will help in understanding the life and times of ancient Hindus. The book aims to gain knowledge of the architecture in Ayodhya, houses in Ayodhya, establishment of the city and animals which lived in Ayodhya. According to the publishing house Bloomsbury, the book is well-researched and is replete with descriptions and draws out comparisons of earlier eras with our current life and culture. The book will hit the stands in November.
- Sadia Dehlvi who passed away recently is a renowned _________.
5) ArchitectAnswer-4) Writer
The writer and activist Sadia Dehlvi died of cancer at the age of 63 at Delhi. She was born in 1957, came from the royal ‘Shama’ family, edited the Urudu women’s journal Bano. Dehlvi, writing focuses on women, minorities, Islamic spirituality, and Delhi’s heritage and culture. Her grandfather, Hafiz Yusuf Dehli, founded Shama, an iconic Urdu film in 1938 and literary monthly.
- Politician Shyamal Chakraborty who passed away in August 2020 is associated with which political party?
1) Bharatiya Janata Party
2) Communist Party of India (Marxist)
3) Indian National Congress
4) All India Trinamool Congress
5) National People’s PartyAnswer-2) Communist Party of India (Marxist)
The former Communist Party of India – Marxist (CPM) and former West Bengal Transport Minister Shyamal Chakraborty passed away at the age 76 in Calcutta. He served as the three-time transport minister of West Bengal from 1982 to 1996.
- Mukund Lath who is in news recently is a renowned __________.
4) Stunt Man
5) HistorianAnswer-5) Historian
A prominent culture historian and exponent of MewatiGharana, Mukund Lath passed away at the age of 82 on 6th August, 2020 in Jaipur. He was born on 9th October 1937 in Kolkata. He was awarded India’s fourth highest civilian honour, the Padma Shri, in 2010 for his contributions to the field of arts and cultural history.Some of his works on performing arts are: ‘A Study of Dattilam: A Treatise on the Sacred Music of Ancient India’ (1978), ‘SangitaevamChintan’ (1992), and ‘Transformation as Creation’ (1998).
- Which edition of National handloom day was celebrated on August 7, 2020?
5) 1stAnswer-3) 6th
Every year the Government of India (GoI) celebrates the National Handloom day on August 7, to create awareness about the Handloom Industry amongst the public at large and its contribution to socio-economic development. The 6th edition of the Nation Handloom Day is celebrated on August 7, 2020.The Union Government had declared 7th August as the first National Handloom Day in July 2015. The day chosen in order to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement, launched on August 7, 1905.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the name of single-window nodal agency which will be formed by ISRO to regulate private players in space?
5) None of the AboveAnswer-2) IN-SPACe
The decisions of the newly set-up Indian National Space Promotion and Authorisation Centre (IN-SPACe), the single-window nodal agency, on the launch dates of satellites and rockets and use of facilities of the Department of Space’s assets also by private players will be binding on all stakeholders including the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro). The Department of Space published the roles and responsibilities of IN-SPACe, formed after the department decided to open up the assets for all with an aim to boost the private sector’s participation in the space activities in the country, on the Isro’s website. According to it, IN-SPACe will have a chairman, technical, strategic and legal experts in space activities, safety and from other departments, academia and industries, and members of the PMO and Ministry of External Affairs.
- What is the capital and currency of Mozambique?
1) Dodoma & Shilling
2) Harare & RTGS Dollar
3) Lilongwe & Kwacha
4) Maputo & Metical
5) Lusaka & PulaAnswer-4) Maputo & Metical
The capital and currency of Mozambique are Maputo &MozambicanMetical respectively.
- Where is the HQ of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) located?
2) New Delhi
5) PuneAnswer-3) Mumbai
The HQ of Life Insurance Corporation of India(LIC) located at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Who is the present Director General of Sports Authority of India (SAI)?
1) Rajeev Mehta
2) Dorab Tata
4) Ishan Kishan
5) Sandip PradhanAnswer-5) Sandip Pradhan
Sandip Pradhan is the Director General of Sports Authority of India.
- Narayanpur Dam which is in news recently is built over which river?
5) TungaAnswer-1) Krishna
The water level has risen in the Krishna river and other rivers in Raichur district after increased outflow from Narayanpur Dam on August 8, 2020, leading to flood-like situation in the adjoining areas. The Reservoir Authority informed that the water inflow to Narayanpur Dam was around 2.20 lakh cusec at around 10 am on August 8.
- Which is 1st country in the Indian Ocean Region to achieve this status of “Tsunami ready” from the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO?
5) Sri LankaAnswer-3) India
Odisha became the first state in India and India became the first country in the Indian Ocean Region to achieve this status of “Tsunami ready” from the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO.