AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 6 October 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- “Dalle Khursani”, the famous chilli based on ‘which’ state got GI tag recently?
3) Andhra Pradesh
5) KeralaAnswer-4) Sikkim
On the basis of an application filed by the North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (NERAMAC) on behalf of Sikkim, the red cherry pepper chilli of Sikkim, “Dalle Khursani” earned the geographical indication (GI) tag from the Union Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT). It is considered as one of the hottest chilli in the world with medicinal values.
- The airport in which state/UT become Airports Authority of India (AAI)’s 1st 100% solar-powered airport?
3) Arunachal Pradesh
5) LadakhAnswer-1) Puducherry
AAI achieved a major feat on October 2, 2020, by converting the Union Territory of Puducherry’s airport into its first entirely solar-powered airport in the country i.e. “absolutely power-neutral” airport with the commissioning of 500KWp (kilowatts peak) ground-mounted solar power plant at a cost of Rs 2.8 crore. It was inaugurated by Lok Sabha member V Vaithilingam in the presence of Rajya Sabha member N Gokulakrishnan, AAI regional govt director R Madhavan, and Puducherry airport director Vijay Upadhyay among others. With this solar power plant, the airport will save a power bill of Rs 10 lakh per month and will also see a reduction in carbon emission footprint by 6,570 metric tonne, which is equivalent to planting 32,850 trees.
- Which state/UT has launched anti-pollution campaign named “Yudh Pradushan Ke Virudh”?
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) Jammu & KashmirAnswer-1) Delhi
Arvind Kejriwal, Delhi Chief Minister(CM) launched a mega anti-pollution campaign, “Yudh Pradushan Ke Virudh” to reduce pollution levels in Delhi. As part of this campaign Delhi government to use a technology developed by Pusa Agriculture Institute in order control the threat of stubble burning. CM announced that ‘Green Delhi App’, a photo-based complaint lodging App will be launched shortly.
- Which country has declared Phoenix settlement in the country as national heritage site?
4) South Africa
5) MosambiqueAnswer-4) South Africa
The South African government declared the Phoenix Settlement in Durban as a National Heritage Site on the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi even as several events were organised across the country to celebrate the occasion. Indian High Commissioner Jaideep Sarkar on Friday welcomed the announcement regarding the Phoenix Settlement where Gandhi established a commune, started his experiments with Satyagraha, and printed his newspaper Indian Opinion.
- Which company has launched android mini app store for Indian developers?
5) MicrosoftAnswer-2) Paytm
Paytm has launched its Android Mini App Store to support Indian developers, a move that will further intensify the tussle between the fintech major and tech giant, Google.
- Madhabi Puri Buch, the 1st whole time women member of ‘which’ organization has got 1-year extension?
1) Forward Market Commission of India
2) Reserve Bank of India
3) Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India
4) Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority
5) Securities and Exchange Board of IndiaAnswer-5) Securities and Exchange Board of India
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the term extension of appointment of Madhabi Puri Buch, Whole-Time Member (WTM), Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for one year effective from October 4, 2020 or until further orders, whichever is earlier. She is the 1st & only woman WTM and also the 1st from the private sector to be appointed a SEBI Board member. This is the 2nd extension of Madhabi Puri Buch’s tenure, following a 6-month extension in April 2020, after her three-year tenure ended in March, 2020.
- Who is the 1st Indian bureaucrat to be honoured with Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC)’s “Covid Crusader Award-2020”?
1) Nripendra Misra
2) P.K. Mishra
3) Iqbal Singh Chahal
4) Ajit Doval
5) Shaktikanta DasAnswer-3) Iqbal Singh Chahal
Iqbal Singh Chahal (I.S. Chahal), Municipal Commissioner of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai(MCGM), Maharashtra was honoured with “Covid Crusader Award-2020”, instituted by Indo-American Chamber of Commerce(IACC), apex bi-lateral Chamber a collaboration of India-US Economic Engagement and the US Consulate in Mumbai. He became the first Indian Bureaucrat to be recognised with this global recognition. Bhagat Singh Koshyari, Governor of Maharashtra presented the award over a virtual ceremony. He received the award under the Indian Bureaucrats Category for his contribution towards controlling the spread of COVID-19 in Mumbai, Maharashtra and his efforts to “flatten the curve” in Mumbai including Dharavi, Asia’s biggest slum.
- Who among the following is conferred with Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC)’s life time achievement award?
1) Azim Premji
2) Rahul Bajaj
3) Dhirubhai Ambani
4) Naveen Jindal
5) Ratan N. TataAnswer-5) Ratan N. Tata
The Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC) conferred IACC Lifetime and Global Excellence Awards to Ratan N. Tata for his pioneering role in the Business Relations of India-USA (United States of America) and for his lifetime achievement in Global Leadership. It is to be noted that this is the 1st time IACC conferred the Lifetime Achievement award to any individual. This award was announced in virtual event of IACC “Covid Crusader Award-2020”.
- Harvey J. Alter, Charles M. Rice and Michael Houghton has won 2020 Nobel prize in Physiology/medicine for discovering which virus?
1) GB Virus
2) Polio Virus
3) Hepatitis C Virus
4) Corona Virus
5) Ebola VirusAnswer-3) Hepatitis C Virus
The Head of the Nobel Committee, Thomas Perlmann announced the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 jointly to 2 Americans Harvey J. Alter and Charles M. Rice and one British-born scientist Michael Houghton for discovering the Hepatitis C virus, a major global health problem that causes cirrhosis and liver cancer at the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden. Note- The award is the 1st of six prizes being announced. The other prizes include in the fields of physics, chemistry, literature, peace and economics.
- Who addressed the International Webinar on Textile Traditions which was organized by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and Uttar Pradesh Institute of Design (UPID) on theme “Weaving Relations: Textile Traditions”?
1) Amit Shah
2) Narendra Modi
3) Raj Nath Singh
4) Ram Nath Kovind
5) Nitin GadkariAnswer-2) Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the first of its kind International Webinar on Textile Traditions organized by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and Uttar Pradesh Institute of Design (UPID). The theme of the International Webinar was “Weaving Relations: Textile Traditions”. The webinar was held to commemorate the 150th Birth Anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi. The Webinar was organized for exchange of ideas and sharing of best practices among weaves from different countries and also to enable creation of new avenues for collaboration.
- Name the nuclear capable surface to surface missile which was successfully tested recently at Abdul Kalam Island test range, Odisha (October 2020).
5) None of the AboveAnswer-2) Shaurya
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test-fired a new version of indigenously developed canister launched hypersonic nuclear-capable Shaurya missile from the Abdul Kalam Island test range off Dhamra, Odisha to a target in Bay of Bengal. Earlier on September 30, 2020, India successfully tested surface-to-surface supersonic cruise missile BrahMos. Shaurya, a surface-to-surface medium range missile is a land version of Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) K-15 (B-05) and can be used by both the Navy and the Army. It should be noted that while BrahMos is regarded as the fastest supersonic cruise missile in the world, Shaurya is also considered as one of the top 10 missiles in the world in its class, as per DRDO.
- DRDO successfully flight tested the Anti-submarine weapon system ‘SMART’ from Wheeler Island, Odisha recently. What does ‘S’ in SMART stands for?
5) None of the AboveAnswer-3) Supersonic
After the successful testing of a new version of indigenously developed canister launched hypersonic nuclear-capable Shaurya missile, on October 5, 2020, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the Supersonic Missile assisted release of Torpedo (SMART) from Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha. All mission objectives, including missile flight upto the range and altitude, separation of the nose cone, the release of Torpedo and deployment of Velocity Reduction Mechanism (VRM), were met perfectly. SMART will be used for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations beyond torpedo range. The technologies required for SMART were developed by DRDO laboratories, including Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL), Research Centre Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad (Telangana), Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE) Agra (Uttar Pradesh), Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL) Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh).
- Which country planned to send world’s 1st mining robot ‘Asteroid Mining Robot’ into space by November 2020?
5) United StatesAnswer-1) China
An IEEE Spectrum report stated that Origin Space, the Beijing-based company is set to send world’s first mining robot named ‘asteroid mining robot’ into space by November 2020 to identify and extract resources. The mining robot will be launched into space by a Chinese Long March series rocket. The 30-gram spacecraft, NEO-1, is likely to be launched as a secondary payload on a Chinese Long March rocket. This company also has another mission, Yuanwang-1 (‘Look up-1’), nicknamed ‘Little Hubble’, which is to be launched by late 2021 or early 2022.
- Who authored the book titled “Discovering the Heritage of Assam” (Union Minister Jitendra Singh released a coffee table book)?
1) Girish Kuber
2) JK Rowling
3) Kumar Padmapani Bora
4) Bomma Devara
5) BB LalAnswer-3) Kumar Padmapani Bora
Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (MoS) (Independent Charge-I/C) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO (Prime Minister’s Office), Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space released a Coffee Table Book on “Discovering the Heritage of Assam”. It was authored by Kumar Padmapani Bora with foreword by Amitabh Bachchan. It is published by Penguin Enterprise.
- Haji Hussain Ansari who passed away in October 2020 was the minister of minority welfare of which state?
5) MizoramAnswer-1) Jharkhand
Haji Hussain Ansari, Minister of Minority Welfare of Jharkhand passed away at the age of 73 at Medanta hospital in Ranchi, Jharkhand due to cardiac arrest after recovering from COVID-19. He was the senior leader of Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) party. He was also the sitting chairman of Haj committee. He is the first and only Muslim to become minister of Jharkhand. He was born in 1947 at Pipra village in Deoghar district, Jharkhand.
- Pradeep Maharathy who passed away in recently was the MLA from which state?
2) West Bengal
5) AssamAnswer-4) Odisha
Veteran Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) and former Odisha minister, Pradeep Maharathy (also known as Natu Bhai) passed away at the age of 65 at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar, Odisha after tested positive for COVID-19. He was born in 1955 in Puri, Odisha.
- When was the world animal day observed annually?
1) October 4
2) August 16
3) July 31
4) October 14
5) September 24Answer-1) October 4
World Animal Day is annually observed on the 4th October to enhance the status of animals to improve the welfare standards of animals around the world and celebrate the relationship of animals and human beings. The day aims to create awareness about the major role of the animals in protecting the environment and the wellbeing of humans. Heinrich Zimmermann, a German Editor, Writer and animal protection activist organized the first World Animal Day on 24th March 1925 at the Sport Palace in Berlin, Germany with an aim to improve the welfare of animals and later from 1929, the day is being celebrated on 4th October aligned with feast of St Francis of Assisi.
- What is the theme of world space week 2020 which was observed between October 4-10, 2020?
1) “Space Unites the World,”
2) “The Moon: Gateway to the Stars”
3) “Satellites Improve Life”
4) “Exploring New Worlds in Space”
5) “Remote Sensing’: Enabling Our Future”Answer-3) “Satellites Improve Life”
The largest annual space event in the world i.e. World Space Week (WSW) is celebrated annually from October 4-10 at the international level under the United Nations (UN) resolution 54/68 of 6 December 1999 to celebrate the contributions of space science and technology to the betterment of the human condition. The WSW 2020 is being celebrated on the theme of “Satellites Improve Life” and in WSW 2021 theme will be “Women in Space”. On 4 October 1957, the first human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1 was launched in outer space for space. Then on 10 October 1967, the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies entered into force also known as “Magna Carta of Space” was signed. That is why the space week is celebrated between these days commemorating their anniversaries.
- What is the theme of wildlife week 2020 which was celebrated between October 2-8, 2020?
1) “Listen to the young voices”
2) “Big Cats-Predators under threat “
3) “Life below Water: for People and Planet”
4) “RoaR (Roar and Revive) – Exploring Human-Animal Relationships”
5) “The future of wildlife is in our hands”Answer-4) “RoaR (Roar and Revive) – Exploring Human-Animal Relationships”
Wildlife Week is annually celebrated across India between 1st and 8th October with an aim to protect and preserve the flora and fauna of India. The first Wildlife Week was observed in 1957. The Wildlife Week 2020 is celebrated from 2nd October to 8th October 2020. Wildlife Week 2020 marks the 66th Wildlife Week which is celebrated under the theme RoaR (Roar and Revive) – Exploring Human-Animal Relationships.
- International Teachers day was observed every year on ________ (2020’s theme – “Teachers: Leading in crisis, reimagining the future”).
1) August 5
2) October 5
3) September 5
4) November 5
5) July 5Answer-2) October 5
World Teachers’ Day, also known as International Teachers Day is observed annually on October 5 to celebrate the teaching profession around the world and also to provide an opportunity to consider issues related to teachers and teaching. The day commemorates the anniversary of the adoption of the 1966 ILO/UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers in a conference summoned by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in Paris, France. The day is celebrated by UNESCO along with the United Nations Children’s Fund(UNICEF), the International Labour Organization(ILO) and Education International. Since October 5, 1994 the day has been celebrated. Theme of 2020– “Teachers: Leading in crisis, reimagining the future”.
- Who has launched the 1st of its kind report titled “Economic valuation of ecosystem services, National Zoological Park, New Delhi”?
1) Prakash Javadekar
2) Nitin Gadkari
3) Narendra Modi
4) Amit Shah
5) Nirmala SitharamanAnswer-1) Prakash Javadekar
Prakash Keshav Javadekar also launched a report of the Central Zoo Authority and The Energy and Resources Industries(CZA-TERI) titled “Economic valuation of ecosystem services, National Zoological Park, New Delhi” a first of its kind report on the importance of the zoos to the wellbeing of humans.
- The UN World Habitat Day 2020 was observed on 5th October. What is the theme of World Habitat Day 2020?
1) “Shelter for the Homeless”
2) “Housing for All – A Better Urban Future”
3) “Frontier technologies as an innovative tool to transform waste to wealth”
4) “Better Future with Better Housing”
5) None of the AboveAnswer-2) “Housing for All – A Better Urban Future”
The United Nations World Habitat Day was observed on 5th October. It is celebrated annually on First Monday of October. The World Habitat Day is observed to reflect on the state of human settlements and to emphasize the basic right of adequate shelter to all. The Theme of World Habitat Day 2020 is “Housing for All – A Better Urban Future”. The Global Observation of the Day will be hosted by the city of Surabaya, Indonesia.
- “Aenigmachannidae” which was discovered in western Ghats recently is the new family of ________.
1) Bony Fish
5) CatAnswer-1) Bony Fish
The team of Scientists from Germany, United Kingdom(UK), Switzerland and India discovered a new family of bony fish in the Western Ghats in Kerala. The new family is named Aenigmachannidae. Ralf Britz from Senckenberg Museum, Germany was the lead author of the report published in ‘Scientific Report’, an open access mega journal of the Nature Publishing Group.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the 1st Indian to receive Nobel prize?
1) Rabindranth Tagore
2) CV Raman
3) Har Gobind Khorana
4) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
5) Amartya SenAnswer-1) Rabindranth Tagore
India’s association with the Nobel Prize goes back, across centuries and latitudes. Poet, writer and thinker Rabindranth Tagore brought glory to the country when he became the first Indian to win the Nobel Prize for the country. The 52-year-old Tagore was accorded the honour in 1913, 12 years after it made its debut.
- Who is the present chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)?
1) Amitabh Kant
2) Ajit Doval
3) Rajiv Kumar
4) Ajay Tyagi
5) VK PaulAnswer-4) Ajay Tyagi
Ajay Tyagi is the present chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- Audrey Azoulay is the Director General of which organization?
1) World Bank (WB)
2) International Labour Organization (ILO)
3) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
4) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)Answer-5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Audrey Azoulay is the Director-General of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- Which is the 1st human-made earth satellite launched to the space?
1) Sputnik 1
3) Juno I
5) Naro-1Answer-1) Sputnik 1
On 4 October 1957, the first human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1 was launched in outer space for space. Then on 10 October 1967, the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies entered into force also known as “Magna Carta of Space” was signed. That is why the space week is celebrated between these days commemorating their anniversaries.
- Who is the chairman of DRDO?
1) Rajiv Verma
2) Amit Mishra
4) Satheesh Reddy
5) Sudhir MishraAnswer-4) Satheesh Reddy
G Satheesh Reddy is the present chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).