AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 5 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan virtually launched India’s first Mobile CNG Dispensing Unit. The mobile refueling unit will be operated by which Company?
1) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
2) Mahanagar Gas Ltd (MNGL)
3) Indraprastha Gas
4) Adani Gas
5) Petronet LNGAnswer-2) Mahanagar Gas Ltd (MNGL)
Country’s first Mobile CNG Dispensing Unit was virtually launched by Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan. On the occasion he informed that India’s CNG capacity has doubled since 2014. Minister inaugurated 5 stations through video conference. Mobile refueling Unit, operated by Mahanagar Gas Ltd (MNGL), Pune.
- The newly-built Majerhat Bridge which has been renamed as ‘Jai Hind’ bridge recently is located at which state?
1) West Bengal
5) BiharAnswer-1) West Bengal
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee named the newly-built Majerhat bridge in Kolkata as ‘Jai Hind’ bridge to commemorate the 125th Birth Anniversary of Subash Chandra Bose. The new bridge has been built in the place of an old one which collapsed in September 2018. It is 650-metres long and connects the Central part of Kolkata to the South western suburbs of Behala and others.
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu virtually released a commemorative Postage Stamp in honour of the 12th Prime Minister of India on December 4, 2020. Who was the 12th PM of India?
1) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
2) H D Deve Gowda
3) I K Gujral
4) Manmohan Singh
5) P V Narsimha RaoAnswer-3) I K Gujral
On December 4, 2020, Vice President Venkaiah Naidu virtually released a commemorative Postage Stamp in honour of the Late Prime Minister of India & Freedom Fighter, I K Gujral (Inder Kumar Gujral). Naresh Gujral, Member of Parliament, B. Selvakumar, Chief Postmaster General-Tamil Nadu Circle, Sumathi Ravichandran, PostMaster General, Chennai City Region participated in the virtual event. I K Gujral was the 12th Prime Minister of India, he served as the Prime Minister from April 1997-March 1998.
- Union Minister Harsh Vardhan addressed the 1st SCO-YSC 2020 (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation – Young Scientists Conclave) hosted by India from November 24-28, 2020 virtually. What was the theme of the event?
1) Shaping SCO-STI Partnership: Young Scientists Perspectives
2) Radical Economic Transformation
3) Socio emotional skill- importance of soft skill
4) Youth as bridge for Intra-SCO Exchanges
5) None of the aboveAnswer-1) Shaping SCO-STI Partnership: Young Scientists Perspectives
Union Minister for Science & Technology, Harsh Vardhan addressed the 1st SCO-YSC 2020 (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation – Young Scientists Conclave) held virtually from November 24-28, 2020 as an integral part of SCO Young Scientists Forum (SCO YSF). India is the Host and Organizer of the Forum. The Theme of the conclave was “Shaping SCO-STI (Science, Technology and Innovation) Partnership: Young Scientists Perspectives”.
- How many people have been pushed into Extreme Poverty in the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) According to “The Least Developed Countries Report 2020” released by UNCTAD (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development)?
1) 10 Million
2) 23 Million
3) 32 Million
4) 42 Million
5) 50 MillionAnswer-3) 32 Million
According to “The Least Developed Countries Report 2020: Productive Capacities for the New Decade” released by UNCTAD (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development), Pandemic has pushed around 32 Million People into Extreme Poverty in the Least Developed Countries (LDCs). Due to the Pandemic 32 million people live on less than USD 1.90 per day. According to the report, this is the worst economic performance of 47 countries in LDCs since the Third-World debt crisis of 1980s.
- Which is the 1st country to recognise Pfizer-bioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine?
4) United States
5) IndiaAnswer-2) Britain
The Government of Britain has become the first country to recognise Pfizer-bioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine, after recommendations by Independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) for its use. Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine has been proven to have 95% effectiveness against COVID-19 in the final phase trials.
- India’s largest Hyperlocal fintech startup, PayNearby Technologies Pvt. Ltd. launched the “PayNearby shopping card” powered by RuPay in collaboration with NPCI and which Bank?
1) HDFC Bank
2) YES Bank
3) Axis Bank
4) ICICI Bank
5) IDFC First BankAnswer-2) YES Bank
India’s largest Hyperlocal fintech startup, PayNearby Technologies Pvt. Ltd., in collaboration with YES Bank and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) launched the “PayNearby shopping card” powered by RuPay for its retail partners to provide maximum benefits of e-commerce in a risk-free mode over mass market category.
- Name the bank which partnered with Rupifi and Visa to launch Business Credit Card for MSMEs (December 2020).
1) HDFC Bank
2) YES Bank
3) Axis Bank
4) ICICI Bank
5) IDFC First BankAnswer-3) Axis Bank
Axis bank Ltd in partnership with Rupifi and Visa launched ‘Axis Bank Rupifi Business Credit Card’ for MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises). This Contactless Co-Branded credit card, powered by Visa is applicable only to the MSMEs businesses that transact on the aggregator platforms partnered with Rupifi PAN (Permanent Account Number) India for their business purchases. The card offers credit solutions to such MSMEs. It is only for domestic transactions.
- As per the official data released by Controller General of Accounts (CGA), the Central Government’s fiscal deficit increased to what percent of the annual budget estimate of FY21, at the end of October 2020?
5) 121.5%Answer-3) 119.7%
In accordance with the official data released by Controller General of Accounts (CGA), the Central Government’s fiscal deficit increased to Rs 9.53 lakh crore (9,53,154 crore), or 119.7% of the annual budget estimate of FY21, at the end of October 2020. It was 114.8% of the annual budget estimate at the end of September 2020. Also, in the first 7 months of the FY20, the deficit was at 102.4% of the annual target. The key reason behind this increase is poor revenue realization due to lockdown imposed to curb COVID-19.
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has signed a MoU with which financial institution to Cooperate in Agriculture Activities & Implementing Agriculture Export Policy?
1) Small industrial Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
2) World Bank
3) New Development Bank
4) Asian Development Bank
5) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)Answer-5) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) and National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to address the key interests of Agriculture and allied sectors for bringing better value to the stakeholders and Implementing Agriculture Export Policy (AEP). The MoU was signed virtually at the respective headquarters, by Dr. Sudhanshu, Secretary APEDA and Mr. Nilay D. Kapoor, Chief General Manager, NABARD.
- Name the Equity financing firm which partnered with NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) on a year-long partnership, to promote women entrepreneurship in India.
1) Sequoia India
2) Dragoneer Investment Group
3) Faering Capital
4) Mahindra Partners
5) Gaja CapitalsAnswer-1) Sequoia India
Equity financing firm Sequoia India partnered with NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) on a year-long partnership, to promote women entrepreneurship in India.
Sequoia India will mentor a group of women founders to equip them with domain knowledge and skills through mentorship sessions with investors and business leaders.
- CREDAI-MCHI partnered with which of the following organization/Companies for the first virtual edition of India’s largest real-estate expo from 4th December 2020 to 13th December 2020?
1) State Bank of India
4) Only 1 & 2
5) All 1, 2 & 3Answer-5) All 1, 2 & 3
CREDAI-MCHI partnered with State Bank of India, Google and BookMyShow for the first virtual edition of India’s largest real-estate expo from 4th December 2020 to 13th December 2020. This collaboration between CREDAI-MCHI, SBI Google & BookMyShow is the first of its kind in the Real Estate sector.
- Who has been appointed as the first Vice President of the World Liquefied Petroleum Gas Association (WLPGA)?
1) Shashi Shanker
2) Mukesh kumar Surana
3) Shrikant Madhav Vaidya
4) D Rajkumar
5) I Srinivas RaoAnswer-3) Shrikant Madhav Vaidya
Shrikant Madhav Vaidya, Chairman of Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) was appointed as the first Vice President of the World Liquefied Petroleum Gas Association (WLPGA), an authoritative voice of the LPG industry across the globe which represents the complete LPG value chain.
- Defence Ministry approved the Creation of 2 New Posts namely– Deputy Chief for Military Operations & Strategic Planning and Director General (DG) of Information Warfare. Who will be the 1st Deputy Chief of Army Staff for Military Operations & Strategic Planning?
1) Karambir Singh
2) R K S Bhadauria
3) Paramjit Singh
4) Bipin Rawat
5) M M NaravaneAnswer-3) Paramjit Singh
As a part of reorganisation of Army Headquarters, Defence Ministry approved the Creation of 2 New Posts – Deputy Chief for Military Operations & Strategic Planning & Director General (DG) of Information Warfare. The Deputy Chief (for Military Operations & Strategic Planning) will be the 3rd post of Deputy Chief in the Indian Army. Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) Lt General Paramjit Singh is set to become the First Deputy Chief of Army Staff for Military Operations & Strategic Planning.
- Who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Hindustan Unilever Limited’s relaunched adult nutrition brand, Horlicks Protein Plus?
1) Amitabh Bachchan
2) Salman Khan
3) Aamir Khan
4) Akshay Kumar
5) Rajkumar RaoAnswer-4) Akshay Kumar
Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) appointed Bollywood actor, Akshay Kumar as the brand ambassador of its relaunched adult nutrition brand, Horlicks Protein Plus, through a new TVC (Television Commercial). Through the campaign, he will represent the brand and encourage urban Indian adults to fight the protein deficiency on a daily basis by making ‘Protein ka routine’ (make protein a routine).
- Who has been appointed as the 27th Director General of Border Roads Organisation (BRO) recently?
1) S S Deswal
2) Rakesh Asthana
3) Rajeev Chaudhry
4) Alok Verma
5) M Nageshwar RaoAnswer-3) Rajeev Chaudhry
Lieutenant General (Lt Gen) Rajeev Chaudhry assumed charge as 27th Director General(DG) of Border Roads Organisation(BRO). He succeeds Lt Gen Harpal Singh. BRO is headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- Who has won the US $1 million annual Global Teacher Prize 2020 (the prize was founded by Varkey Foundation & organized in partnership with UNESCO)?
1) Dr Susanta Kar
2) Sadat Rahman
3) S Hareesh
4) Ranjitsinh Disale
5) Paul ZachariaAnswer-4) Ranjitsinh Disale
Ranjitsinh Disale, a teacher from Zilla Parishad Primary School, Paritewadi, Solapur district in Maharashtra, India won US $1 million annual Global Teacher Prize 2020. The Prize was founded by Varkey Foundation and organised in partnership with UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation). He won this award as he transformed the life of young girls at the Zilla Parishad Primary School and has ignited the Quick-Response (QR) coded textbook revolution in India.
- Who has been named as the first ever “Kid of the Year” by TIME Magazine?
1) Udit Singhal
2) Krishna Tirath
3) Sadat Rahman
4) Gitanjali Rao
5) Greta ThunbergAnswer-4) Gitanjali Rao
Gitanjali Rao,15-year-old Indian-American Scientist and Inventor has been named as the first ever “Kid of the Year” by TIME Magazine. She was selected from a field of more than 5000 nominees for her work “to tackle issues ranging from contaminated drinking water to opioid addiction and cyberbullying using technology”.
- Who represented India in the 5th Presidium Meeting of the BRICS Media Forum held virtually on November 30, 2020 to Combat Disinformation?
1) N. Ram, The Hindu group
2) Vineet Kumar Jain, The Times of India
3) Ashwini Kumar Chopra, Punjab Kesari
4) Virendra Kumar Charoria, Hindustan Times
5) Vivek Goenka, The Indian Express GroupAnswer-1) N. Ram, The Hindu group
5th Presidium Meeting of the BRICS Media Forum, was held virtually, the countries exchanged information from the economic issues to public health issues during the COVID-19 pandemic. The focus point of discussion was “virus of disinformation” in the era of pandemic. Heads of five leading news organisations from BRICS countries participated virtually, represented by N.Ram, Director of The Hindu group, India.
- Which Country hosted the Virtual Ministerial Roundtable of 7th IEF-IGU (International Energy Forum-International Gas Union) Ministerial Gas Forum?
5) MyanmarAnswer-3) Malaysia
Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan represented India at the Virtual Ministerial Roundtable of 7th IEF-IGU (International Energy Forum-International Gas Union) Ministerial Gas Forum held from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The Forum was hosted by the Government of Malaysia and was inaugurated by Muhyiddin Yassin, Prime Minister of Malaysia. It is a Biennial event and is being held Online for the First Time. The Theme of the Forum – “Towards Recovery and Shared Prosperity: Natural Gas Opportunities for a Sustainable World”.
- Which Police Station has topped the annual list of India’s Top 10 Police Stations for the year 2020 released by Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) during the virtual 55th annual DGPs and IGPs conference 2020?
1) AWPS-Suramangalam, Tamil Nadu (TN)
2) Kharsang, Arunachal Pradesh
3) Nongpok Sekmai, Manipur
4) Jhilmili (Bhaiya Thana), Chhattisgarh
5) Sanguem, GoaAnswer-3) Nongpok Sekmai, Manipur
Explanation:The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) released the annual list of India’s Top 10 Police Stations for 2020 during the virtual 55th annual DGPs (Director Generals of Police) and IGPs (Inspector Generals of Police) conference 2020 which was attended by the Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi, Union Minister Amit Anilchandra Shah, MHA among others. The list was topped by Manipur’s Nongpok Sekmai police station in Thoubal district as the best performing police station in India. It was followed by AWPS-Suramangalam in Tamil Nadu’s Salem city and Kharsang in Arunachal Pradesh’s Changlang district.
Following table shows the list of India’s Top 5 Police Stations for 2020:
Rank Police Station District State 1 Nongpok Sekmai Thoubal Manipur 2 AWPS-Suramangalam Salem City Tamil Nadu (TN) 3 Kharsang Changlang Arunachal Pradesh (AR) 4 Jhilmili (Bhaiya Thana) Surajpur Chhattisgarh 5 Sanguem South Goa Goa
- Who is the richest women of India according to the 2nd edition of “Kotak Wealth Hurun – Leading Wealthy Women” 2020?
1) Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
2) Roshni Nadar Malhotra
3) Nilima Motaparti
4) Leena Gandhi Tewari
5) Kanika TekriwalAnswer-2) Roshni Nadar Malhotra
The 2nd edition of “Kotak Wealth Hurun – Leading Wealthy Women” 2020 was jointly launched by Kotak Wealth Management, a division of Kotak Mahindra Bank (Kotak) and Hurun India. Roshni Nadar Malhotra (32 years), the chairperson of HCL Technologies has topped the Kotak Wealth Hurun India 2020 and was named as India’s richest woman with a wealth of Rs.54,850 crore. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Chairperson and Managing Director of Biocon Limited was named the 2nd richest women of India with a wealth of Rs.36600 crores. She is the wealthiest self-made woman on the list.
- The Bank of India agreed on Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) with AXA Investment Managers Asia Holdings Pvt Ltd to Acquire 49% Stake each in BOI AXA Investment Managers, BOI AXA Trustee Services. Where is the headquarters of Bank of India located?
3) New Delhi
5) KolkataAnswer-4) Mumbai
The Mumbai, Maharashtra headquartered – Bank of India (BOI) entered into a Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) with AXA Investment Managers Asia Holdings Pvt Ltd (AXA IM), a part of AXA Group. Through the SPA, BOI agreed to purchase AXA IMs:
Entire 49% equity shares in BOI AXA Investment Managers Private Limited (BAIM).
Entire 49% equity shares in BOI AXA Trustee Services Private Limited (BATS).
- The Department of Space (DoS) has signed first one of its kind Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with which company for launch vehicle development programme?
1) New Space India Ltd
2) Agnikul Cosmos Pvt. Ltd
3) Skyroot Aerospace
4) Antrix Corporation Ltd
5) Vector Space (India) Infraventure Pvt. Ltd.Answer-2) Agnikul Cosmos Pvt. Ltd
The Department of Space (DoS) has signed first one of its kind Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Agnikul Cosmos Pvt. Ltd under which the latter can access the facilities and technical expertise of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for its launch vehicle programme. It was signed by R Umamaheswaran, Scientific Secretary, ISRO, on behalf of DoS and Srinath Ravichandran, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Aginukul in Bengaluru, Karnataka. As a part of MoU, ISRO will provide full support to Agnikul for testing and qualifying its launch vehicle programme small rocket that can launch 100 kg satellites into low earth orbit.
- Tennis player, Enrique López Pérez has been banned for eight years after an investigation by the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) for match fixing. He is from which Country?
5) FranceAnswer-2) Spain
Spanish tennis player, Enrique López Pérez has been banned for eight years after an investigation by the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) found that he had partaken in three separate instances of match fixing activity in 2017. Additionally, he has been fined $25,000 (US).
- Who authored the book titled “40 Years with Abdul Kalam- Untold Stories”, which was released by Vice President of India M Venkaiah Naidu recently?
1) Dr A.Sivathanu Pillai
2) Dr Sundaram(S) Ramakrishnan
3) Romila Thapar
4) Jitendra Singh
5) Dr Shyam Kishor GuptaAnswer-1) Dr A. Sivathanu Pillai
The Vice President of India M Venkaiah Naidu released the book titled “40 Years with Abdul Kalam- Untold Stories”, a book on the life of the former President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The book was authored by Dr A.Sivathanu Pillai. The book is published by Pentagon Press LLp and the foreword was written by Pranab Mukherjee, former president of India.
- Padma Shri – Dr Sundaram (S) Ramakrishnan passed away recently. What was his profession?
5) EngineerAnswer-3) Scientist
Padma Shri Dr Sundaram(S) Ramakrishnan, Indian space scientist and former director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre-VSSC (January 2013 to June 2014) passed away at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala at the age of 71. He also served as a director of Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) from June 2010 to December 2012.
- Padma Bhushan Dharampala Chunni Lal Gulati, also called as “King of Spice”, passed away recently. He was founder and CEO of which Brand?
1) Goldie Masale
2) Ashok Masala
3) MDH Masala
4) Catch Masala
5) Kitchen King MasalaAnswer-3) MDH Masala
Dharampala Chunni Lal Gulati, the founder and CEO of MDH Masala India’s famous spices company, dies at the age of 97 due to cardiac arrest. The pioneer of the ready to use ground spices, also called as “King of Spice” was awarded India’s third highest civilian award “Padma Bhushan” in 2019.
- Indian Navy Day celebrates in annual day on which day to celebrate the achievements of Indian Navy and commemorate the launch of Operation Trident during the 1971 Indo-Pak war?
1) December 1
2) December 2
3) December 3
4) December 4
5) December 5Answer-4) December 4
Indian Navy Day is annually celebrated on 4th December to celebrate the achievements of Indian Navy and commemorate the launch of Operation Trident during the 1971 Indo-Pak war. The Navy day 2020 marks the commencement of the 50th Anniversary of the victory in the 1971 war – “Swarnim Vijay Varsh”. The theme of Indian Navy Day 2020 is “Indian Navy Combat Ready, Credible & Cohesive”.
- The year 2020 set to be among one of the Three Warmest Years Ever Recorded according to the “State of the Global Climate 2020” report published by __________.
1) United Nations Environment Programme
2) World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
3) The International Union for Conservation of Nature
4) Greenpeace International
5) India Meteorological Department (IMD)Answer-2) World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
According to the “State of the Global Climate 2020” Interim report released by the United Nations World Meteorological Organization (WMO) based on the temperature data from January-October (of 2020), the year 2020 is set to be among one of the Three Warmest Years Ever recorded (2019, 2016, 2015). The Finalized version of the 2020 report will be published in March 2021.
- According to the report titled “The Production Gap, 2020” produced by the UNEP, what is the average warming target as per the Paris Climate Agreement?
5) 1.5°CAnswer-5) 1.5°C
In accordance with the report titled “The Production Gap, 2020” produced by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) the world is planning an average annual increase of 2% for coal, oil, and gas production in 2030 as against the requirement of fossil fuel reduction by around 6% per year between 2020 and 2030 to attain warming target of 1.5°C.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the Mount Semeru, an active volcano, located?
4) New Zealand
5) RussiaAnswer-1) Indonesia
Semeru, or Mount Semeru, is an active volcano in East Java, Indonesia. It is located in the subduction zone, where the Indo-Australia plate subducts under the Eurasia plate. It is the highest mountain on the island of Java. This stratovolcano is also known as Mahameru, meaning ‘The Great Mountain. It came into the new when recently hot ash tumbled as far as 3,000 metres (9,800 feet) down the slopes of Mount Semeru. The 3,676-metre (12,060-feet) mountain in Lumajang district is the highest volcano on Indonesia’s most densely populated island of Java.
- Reang (Bru) tribe belongs to which Indian State?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
5) NagalandAnswer-4) Tripura
Reang (Bru) are one of the 21 scheduled tribes of the Indian state of Tripura. The Bru can be found all over the Tripura state in India. However, they may also be found in Mizoram and Assam. They speak the Reang dialect of Kokborok language which is of Tibeto-Burmese origin and is locally referred to as Kau Bru.
- World’s largest river island Majuli to have new cricket stadium of its own. Where is the Majuli Island located?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
5) NagalandAnswer-1) Assam
Mājuli or Majoli is a river island in the Brahmaputra River, Assam and in 2016 it became the first island to be made a district in India. It had an area of 880 square kilometres at the beginning of the 20th century, but having lost significantly to erosion it covers 352 square kilometres as at 2014.
- Where is the headquarters of International Energy Forum (IEF) located?
1) Washington D.C, US
2) Paris, France
3) Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4) Barcelona, Spain
5) Geneva, SwitzerlandAnswer-3) Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
The International Energy Forum is an inter-governmental, non-profit international organisation which aims to foster greater mutual understanding and awareness of common energy interests among its members. It was founded in 1991.
Secretary General – Joseph McMonigle
Headquarters – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Where is the headquarters of International Gas Union (IGU) located?
1) Washington D.C, US
2) Paris, France
3) Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4) Barcelona, Spain
5) Geneva, SwitzerlandAnswer-4) Barcelona, Spain
The International Gas Union was founded in 1931. It is a worldwide non-profit organisation registered in Vevey, Switzerland with the Secretariat currently located in Barcelona, Spain. It was founded in 1931.
President – Joe M. Kang
Headquarters – Barcelona, Spain