AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 4 September 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Which ministry has banned 118 Chinese mobile apps recently?
1) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
2) Ministry of Science and Technology
3) Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
4) Ministry of Home Affairs
5) Ministry of Finance
Answer-3) Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Ministry of Electronics and Information & Technology banned 118 Chinese Mobile Applications. The mobile applications have been banned as they were found to be harmful to the Sovereignty, Integrity, Defence of India and Public Order. The Government has banned them amidst the border tensions with China. The apps have been banned under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009.
- Pang Lhabsol is the festival celebrated in which state?
5) Arunachal Pradesh
Pang Lhabsol, a festival of cultural heritage and historical importance is one of the most historically and culturally significant festivals celebrated annually by Sikkim people. This festival is celebrated only in this state. It commemorates the blessing of Mount Khangchendzonga as the guardian deity of Sikkim. Also observed for the swearing treaty of blood brotherhood between the Lepchas and Bhutias at Kabi Longchok, Sikkim under the witness of Mount Khangchendzonga.
- Union cabinet has approved the launch of which mission to enable government officers and employees get the opportunity to improve their performance.
1) Mission Karmayogi
2) Mission Pragyoda
3) Mission Bhojden
4) Mission Jeevanlyf
5) None of the Above
Answer-1) Mission Karmayogi
The Union Cabinet has approved the launching of a National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB) or “Mission Karmayogi” to enable government officers and employees get the opportunity to improve their performance under ‘iGOT-Karmayogi’ Digital Platform. In this regard a sum of Rs.510.86 crore will be spent over a period of 5 years from 2020-21 to 2024-25 to cover around 46 lakh Central employees. The expenditure is partly funded by multilateral assistance to the tune of USD 50 million. The objective of this mission is to prepare the Indian Civil Servant for the future with right attitude, skills & knowledge, aligned to the vision of New India by focusing on competency led capacity building. This information has been provided by Prakash Keshav Javadekar, Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
- The union cabinet has approved the Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Bill 2020 recently. Which among the following language was added as the official language of J&K in addition to English and Urdu?
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) All the 1), 2) and 3)
Answer-5) All the 1), 2) and 3)
The Cabinet has also approved the introduction in Parliament of the Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Bill 2020 under which Kashmiri, Dogri and Hindi, apart from the existing Urdu and English, will be the official languages in the union territory (UT) of Jammu and Kashmir. The bill will be introduced in Parliament in the upcoming Monsoon Session and further details will be revealed after that. This information has been provided by Union Minister Prakash Keshav Javadekar, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC).
- The union cabinet has approved MoU with which country for cooperation in the field of good quality textiles?
2) United States
The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Textiles Committee, India and Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre, Japan for improving quality and testing of Indian textiles and Clothing for the Japanese market. In this regard, Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre, Japan will assign Textile Committee as their cooperative Testing and Inspection service providers in India for Textiles & Apparel products.
- India has signed MoU with which country in the field of Geology and Mineral Resources (approved by Union cabinet recently)?
The Central Government has approved MoU for cooperation in the field of geology and mineral resources between Geological Survey of India (GSI), Ministry of Mines of India, and Geological Survey of Finland (Geologiantutkimuskeskus), Ministry of Employment and the Economy, Finland. This MoU to develop the cooperation in the field of geology, training, mineral prognostication and suitability analysis, 3/4D modeling, Seismic and other Geophysical surveys finalized to strengthen the scientific links between both nations.
- Which department observed Swachhta Pakhwada from 1-15 September 2020?
1) Health ministry
2) Defence ministry
3) Fertilizers ministry
4) Skill Development ministry
5) Power ministry
Answer-3) Fertilizers ministry
The Department of Fertilizers is observing Swachhta Pakhwada from 1st to 15th September. All Public Sector Undertakings and other Organisations under the Department are participating in the Swachhta Abhiyan. Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said that Swachhta Pakhwada has gained even greater importance this year in view of the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic. He said that the efforts of the entire fertilizer industry, dealers and traders will yield visible positive results in the country’s endeavour for cleanliness.
- Name the organization which released the report titled, “Enhancing Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) for Food Systems”.
1) United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
2) International Labour Organization (ILO)
3) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
4) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Answer-1) United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
A report “Enhancing Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) for Food Systems” published by World Wide Fund (WWF), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), non-profit organization EAT & think tank Climate Focus based on strengthening food systems in the age of climate crisis. The report stated that Policymakers can improve the chances of achieving climate goals and limiting global warming to 1.5 degree Celsius by making more specific commitments to transforming national food systems. The report identified 16 ways to address the issue and put it forward in the public domain for policymakers to take action.
- How many women and girls will be pushed towards extreme poverty in 2021 as per the report released by United Nations (UN) Women and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)?
1) 35 million
2) 47 million
3) 29 million
4) 56 million
5) 87 million
Answer-2) 47 million
The United Nations (UN) Women and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) released new data which states that the COVID-19 pandemic will have negative impacts on the women and will increase the poverty rate of women and widen the gap between men and women in poverty. The summarized data is published as a report titled “From Insights to Actions: Gender Equality in the wake of COVID-19” by the UN Women. The pandemic is expected to reverse the progress made to eradicate poverty by the end of this decade and push around 96 million people into extreme poverty by 2021 of which around 47 million will be women and girls.
- Which country planned to host a summit of the council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on November 30?
India will host a summit of the council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on November 30 with a focus on contributing to the trade and economic agenda of the influential grouping, a senior official in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Which state signed MoU with Shri Vallabh Pittie International Group to invest Rs. 4000 crores in various sector?
2) Uttar Pradesh
5) Madhya Pradesh
Rajasthan government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Shri Vallabh Pittie (SVP) International Group to develop projects for textile, defence and aerospace, which includes aircraft Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) facility, aviation academy. Through this MoU, SVP will invest Rs 4000 crore for these projects, which will create employment opportunities for more than 4000 people.
- Andhra Pradesh government signed MoU with which institute of CSIR to set up a bulk drug park in the state?
1) Advanced Materials and Processes Research Institute
2) Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
3) Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology
4) Central Drug Research Institute
5) Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute
Answer-2) Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
Andhra Pradesh Industrial Infrastructure Corporation Ltd (APIIC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT) to set up a Bulk Drug Park (BDP) in the state. The park will be set up in a minimum of 2,000 acres at a cost of Rs. 6,940 crores in East Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh. It is being set up under the BDPs scheme of the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers, Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India.
- Which state government has signed MoU with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to develop the MSME ecosystem in the state?
2) West Bengal
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has inked the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Government of Maharashtra to develop the micro, small and medium enterprise (MSME) ecosystem in the state. This decision has been taken on the lines of the recommendations of the Upendra Kumar (UK) Sinha Committee on MSMEs set up by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) envisaged more focused engagement of SIDBI with State Governments for MSME promotion and development. As a part of MoU, Project Management Unit (PMU) will be deployed by SIDBI in Maharashtra.
- Who has been appointed as the new chairman of Press Trust of India (PTI)?
1) K.N. Shanth Kumar
2) Vineet Jain
3) Aveek Sarkar
4) Vijay Kumar Chopra
5) Chandramauli Kumar
Answer-3) Aveek Sarkar
The Board of Directors of Press Trust of India (PTI) announced that Aveek Sarkar (75 years), Editor Emeritus and Vice Chairman of Ananda Bazar Group of Publication was elected as the new Chairman of PTI, he will succeed Vijay Kumar Chopra, Chief Editor of the Punjab Kesari Group of Newspapers.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the MD & CEO of South Indian Bank?
1) V. G. Mathew
2) Murali Ramakrishnan
3) Achal Kumar Gupta
4) Pradeep M Godbole
5) Ranjana S Salgaocar
Answer-2) Murali Ramakrishnan
The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) approved the appointment of Murali Ramakrishnan as the New Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of The South Indian Bank, Kerala for a period of 3 years with effect from 1st October 2020. He succeeds V. G. Mathew whose tenure will be completed on 30th September 2020.
- S Krishnan was appointed as the MD&CEO of which bank recently?
1) Bank of Baroda
2) Indian Overseas Bank
3) Canara Bank
4) Bank of Maharashtra
5) Punjab & Sind Bank
Answer-5) Punjab & Sind Bank
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the appointment of S Krishnan as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Punjab & Sind Bank. He will replace S Harishankar.
- Name the person who has been given charge as the 1st ever CEO of Railway Board.
1) B.P. Nanda
2) Pradeep Kumar
3) P.S. Mishra
4) V K Yadav
5) None of the Above
Answer-4) V K Yadav
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the organizational restructuring of the Indian Railways, which includes the merger of eight Group A services and also approved the appointment of the current chairman of the Railway Board V K Yadav as the first ever Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of IR. Along with the CEO post he also holds the chairman post. Union Cabinet has already given a nod for the restructuring of Indian Railways in December 2019.
- Mustapha Adib has been appointed as the new Prime minister of which country?
President of Lebanon appointed the Lebanon ambassador to Germany Mustapha Adib as the New Prime Minister. He succeeds Hassan Diab, who resigned amid the economic crisis due to the aftermath of the blast in the Beirut port on 4th August 2020.
- Jeff Bezos becomes the world’s first person to hit a net worth of ________.
1) $100 billion
2) $200 billion
3) $250 billion
4) $150 billion
5) $50 billion
Answer-2) $200 billion
Jeff Bezos is worth $90 billion more than Bill Gates, who is the world’s second-richest person currently worth $116.1 billion. Amid a pandemic which has hurt businesses and economies alike, CEO of Amazon Jeff Bezos on August 26 became the first-ever individual to hit a net worth of $200 billion.
- What is India’s rank in 13th Edition of Global Innovation Index 2020 released by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University and INSEAD Business School (Switzerland tops)?
For the First time, India joined the group of Top 50 Countries in the 13th Edition of Global Innovation Index (GII) 2020, as it took the 48th rank with a score of 35.59 in the Annual report jointly released by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University and INSEAD Business School. The Theme of the 13th edition of the GII 2020 is “Who Will Finance Innovation?”.
Rank Country Score Income 48 India 35.59 LM* 1 Switzerland 66.08 HI* 2 Sweden 62.47 HI 3 United States 60.56 HI
- Which institute ranked top among Indian institutes in the World University Rankings 2021 released by Times Higher Education (THE)?
1) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Indore
2) Indian Institute of Management (IIMA), Ahmedabad
3) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Ropar
4) Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru
5) None of the Above
Answer-4) Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru
United Kingdom (UK) based Times Higher Education(THE) released the World University Rankings 2021. Indian Institute of Science(IISc) Bengaluru ranked under the 301-350 group ranking, tops among the 63 Indian institutions which were qualified for the THE rankings. IIT, Ropar which is under the 351-400 group rankings and IISc Bengaluru are the only Indian institutes in the world top 400 Universities. Overall Top 3 Universities:
Rank Institute 1 University of Oxford , England ,UK 2 Stanford University , California, UK 3 Harvard University , Massachusetts, US
Top 3 Institutes in India:
Rank Institute 301-350 Indian Institute of Science(IISc), Bengaluru 351-400 Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Ropar 401-500 Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Indore
- Adani Airport Holdings has acquired 74% stake in which international airport?
1) Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai
2) Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi
3) Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata
4) Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport, Lucknow
5) Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport, Indore
Answer-1) Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai
Adani Airport Holdings Limited(AAHL), holding company of Adani Group for its airports business has entered into an agreement to acquire 74% in Mumbai International Airport Limited(MIAL) or Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport. Through the agreement, AAHL will acquire the debt of current promoter GVK group and buy out minority shareholders. AAHL will acquire 50.50% stake of GVK Airport Developers Ltd (GVKADL) and 23.5% of minority partners ACSA and Bidvest in MIAL – for which it has obtained Competition Commission of India approval. Remaining 26% stake of MIAL will be with acquired by AAI.
- Under which section of Competition Act, 2002, Competition Commission of India approved incremental acquisition of 6.51% shareholdings in ClariantAGunder by SABIC International Holdings B.V?
1) Section 32(2)
2) Section 31(2)
3) Section 32(1)
4) Section 31(1)
5) Section 30(1)
Answer-4) section 31(1)
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved an incremental acquisition of 6.51% shareholding in ClariantAGunder (ClariantAG) by SABIC International Holdings B.V. (SABIC BV), a wholly owned affiliate of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation-SABIC under section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- Name the book which is set to be released by Pope Francis in December 2020.
1) “Ave Maria”
2) “Let Us Dream”
3) “Beloved Amazonia”
4) “Aperuit illis”
5) “In Your Eyes I See My Words”
Answer-2) “Let Us Dream”
Pope Francis is set to release the book “Let Us Dream” in December 2020. The book will be an outcome of numerous exchanges between Pope Francis and his Biographer Austen Ivereigh in the weeks following the Coronavirus outbreak around the world.
- David Capel who passed away recently is associated with which sport?
Former England all-rounder and legendary cricketer David Capel passed away at the age of 57 in Northamptonshire after a prolonged illness due to brain tumor.
- The researchers from Kerala and West Bengal have identified Systomus gracilus, a new cyprinid (family of freshwater fish) from which river?
1) Ganges river
2) Indus river
3) Brahmaputra river
4) Yamuna river
5) None of the Above
Answer-1) Ganges river
The researchers from Kerala and West Bengal have identified Systomus gracilus, a new cyprinid (family of freshwater fish) fish from Ganges River at Naihati of West Bengal. The discovery was published as an article in the ‘Journal of Experimental Zoology’. The Science and Engineering Research Board(SERB), statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology(DST) has funded this project.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Eklavya Model Residential Schools is established by which ministry?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Human Resource Development
3) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) Ministry of Coal
Answer-3) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
For the first Time, Sudha Painuli, a vice-principal of Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS) which is established under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs has been selected for National Award to Teachers (NAT) 2020. Sudha Painuli is the vice-principal of EMRS-Kalsi, Dehradun, Uttarakhand since its establishment. Sudha Painuli made it to the list of 47 outstanding teachers after a 3-stage rigorous online transparent process. Union Ministry of Education (formerly known as Ministry of Human Resource Development) and Department of School Education & Literacy constituted an Independent Jury at National Level to bestow the National Award to Teachers (NAT) for the year 2020. EMRSs are set up in States/UTs with grants under Article 275(1) of the Constitution of India.
- Name the ministry which released the Unlock 4.0 guidelines recently.
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Finance
3) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
4) Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
5) Ministry of Minority Affairs
Answer-1) Ministry of Home Affairs
The Union Home Ministry on August 26, 2020 issued the Unlock 4 guidelines.
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park is located in which state?
3) Andhra Pradesh
4) Tamil Nadu
Answer-4) Tamil Nadu
To help them overcome challenges owing to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, IT company HCL has extended its support to the Tamil Nadu based Arignar Anna Zoological Park and the Madras Crocodile Bank.
- Nelagadaranahalli Lake which is in news recently is located in which state?
2) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Toxic effluents discharged into lakes near Peenya Industrial Area has left the Nelagadaranahalli Lake contaminated with high-levels of non-biodegradable chemicals, as well as heavy metals. It is no exaggeration to say that Nelagadaranahalli Lake is the most polluted lake in the city. Nelagadaranahalli Lake too, falls under the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA). However, all the money spent by the BDA for the ‘development’ of the lake has served no purpose.
- Where is the headquarters of Punjab & Sind Bank located?
5) New Delhi
Answer-5) New Delhi
The headquarters of Punjab & Sind Bank is in New Delhi.