AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 30 & 31 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The Department of Economic Affairs in partnership with which organization launched the Sustainable Finance Collaborative (SFC) recently?
1) United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) India
2) International Labour Organization (ILO) India
3) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) India
4) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) IndiaAnswer-4) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India
The Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Ministry of Finance in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India launched the Sustainable Finance Collaborative (SFC). In this regard, a three days’ consultation centered on the broad scope of Sustainable Finance architecture in India was held to accelerate green finance by bringing together leading experts and organizations.Notably, before COVID-19, it was estimated that India needs over USD 2.6 trillion to meet the SDG targets by 2030.
- Who has launched the next generation start-up challenge contest named “Chunauti”?
2) Raj Kumar Singh
3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
4) Giriraj Singh
5) Pralhad JoshiAnswer-3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) launched next-generation startup Challenge contest “Chunauti” to encourage startups and software products with special focus on Tier-II towns. This contest is a part of Rs 95 crore programme, spanning over 3 years, will hunt for around 300 startups working in identified areas and to provide them seed funds of up to Rs 25 lakh and other support from government through the Software Technology Parks of India (STPI).
- India has granted the 4th tranche of USD 5 million to which country for the development projects in border area?
5) MyanmarAnswer-5) Myanmar
India granted the 4th tranche of $5 million to Myanmar for the development of the India-Myanmar Border Area. In this regard, the Indian Ambassador to Myanmar Saurabh Kumar handed over the ceremonial cheque to Lt-Gen Ye Aung, Minister for Border Affairs, Myanmar. This funding is on the lines of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed by ex-Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh in 2012 according to which India would grant a total of $25 million to Myanmar, divided into five tranches of $5 million each annually, starting 2017, for projects on India-Myanmar border.Myanmar shares around 1600 km border with four Northeastern Indian states — Manipur, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram.
- Which state is going to launch India’s 1st International Women’s trade centre?
1) Andhra Pradesh
4) Madhya Pradesh
5) BiharAnswer-3) Kerala
BijuPrabhakar, IAS, Secretary, Department of Social Justice, Women & Child Development announced that Kerala will set up India’s First International Women Trade Centre(IWTC) in accord with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations(UN) at Angamaly, Kochi, Kerala. This announcement was made during the webinar on “Scaling up Opportunities for MSME women Entrepreneurs in Kerala” organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI) Kerala State Council.
- The UT of Lakshadweep administration implemented the project Barn Owls with the support of forest department of which state?
3) Tamil Nadu
5) KarnatakaAnswer-4) Kerala
Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, on Sunday said that the Union Territory of Lakshadweep Administration successfully implemented the Project Barn Owls with the support of the Kerala Forest Department to manage the menace of the rodents effectively.
- Which country has co-sponsored United National Security Council Resolution introduced by Indonesia for greater participation of women in peacekeeping forces?
5) New ZealandAnswer-2) India
India co-sponsored United National Security Council Resolution for Greater Participation of women in peacekeeping forces. The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Resolution called on full, effective and meaningful participation of women in peacekeeping operations. The resolution was tabled by Indonesia has been seconded by India, which is the fifth largest troop contributor to UN peacekeeping operations. The resolution has been passed by a consensus.In May 2020, Indian Women Peacekeeper Major SumanGawani won the UN Military Gender Advocate award. She served as a peacekeeper with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan.
- Which state government has launched ‘Major Dhyan Chand VijaypathYojana’ scheme under which 19 International Players will get road connectivity to their homes?
2) Uttar Pradesh
5) MaharashtraAnswer-2) Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh (UP) Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya launched ‘Major Dhyan Chand VijaypathYojana’ scheme under which 19 International Players will get road connectivity to their homes.A road will be named after Late Cricketer and Former Cabinet Minister Chetan Chauhan.The initial list includes 19 International Players from the state, and later on more players are expected to be added to the list. The list includes Indian Cricketers Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Praveen Kumar, Piyush Chawla and Mohammad Kaif.
- Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance company has entered into partnership with which regional rural bank to offer life insurance (August 2020)?
1) Allahabad UP Gramin Bank
2) Andhra PragathiGrameena Bank
3) Assam GraminVikash Bank
4) Chaitanya Godavari Grameena Bank
5) Karnataka VikasGrameena BankAnswer-2) Andhra PragathiGrameena Bank
Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce(OBC) Life Insurance Company Limited(Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance)and Andhra PragathiGrameena Bank (APGB) have entered into a strategic tie up virtually. The distribution tie-up is to sell life insurance, health and pension products at all the branches of APGB. It is the 1st virtual launch of Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance tie-up with APGB.
- Name the 1st Indian origin women who has beenhonoured with memorial Blue Plaque?
1) Noor Inayat Khan
4) Arwa al-Sulayhi
5) Sayyida FatimaAnswer-1) Noor Inayat Khan
Noor Inayat Khan(Noor-un-NissaInayat Khan or Nora Baker), Britain’s World War II spy, who served in the Special Operations Executive(SOE) became the 1st Indian-origin woman to be honoured with a memorial Blue Plaque at her former family home in London, United Kingdom(UK). She is 1st Muslim war heroine of Britain and 1st female wireless operator sent from the UK into Nazi-occupied France to aid the French Resistance during World War II. She was born on January 1, 1914 in Moscow, Russia.
- Find the bank which is going to receive Brandon Human Capital Management(HCM) Excellence Award 2020 for its HR initiative,” NayiDisha”.
1) Canara Bank
2) Indian Overseas Bank
3) Bank of Maharashtra
4) State Bank of India
5) Punjab National BankAnswer-4) State Bank of India
State Bank of India (SBI) to receive Brandon Human Capital Management(HCM) Excellence Award(also known as the Academy Awards of Learning & Development)2020, a global recognition for its HR initiative,” NayiDisha”. The award winners will be honored at Brandon Hall Group’s annual HCM Excellence Conference, January 26-28, 2021 at the Hilton West Palm Beach, Florida.SBI partnered with M/s Chrysalis & developed the “NayiDisha” Programme.SBI has won the award in The HCM Spring Program under ‘Excellence in Learning and Development’ in 3 categories namely, Best Learning Program supporting a Change Transformation Business Strategy (Gold), Best Use of Blended Learning and Best Unique or Innovative Learning (Gold) and Development Program for its HR initiative (Silver).
- Who is the 1stdivyang sportsperson of the country to get prestigious Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award?
3) Satyendra Singh Lohia
4) Deepa Malik
5) Varun Singh BhatiAnswer-3) Satyendra Singh Lohia
Para-swimmer Satyendra Singh Lohia of Madhya Pradesh is the first Divyang Indian sportsperson of the country, who has been awarded today with the Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award. He is also the first Asian Divyang swimmer to cross the 42-kilometer Catalina Channel in the US in just 11 hours 34 minutes.
- Union Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ addressed the two-day World Urdu Conference organised by National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL). Where is the HQ of NCPUL located?
3) New Delhi
5) ChennaiAnswer-3) New Delhi
Union Minister for Education (formerly known as Human Resource Development, HRD Ministry), Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ addressed the inaugural session of the two-days World Urdu Conference organized by New Delhi based National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL) from August 27-28, 2020.
- Which edition of India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue (DPD) was held recently?
5) 21stAnswer-1) 14th
India and Singapore carried out a review of their defence ties at the virtual meet of the 14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue(DPD). The DPD was co-chaired by India’s Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar and Permanent Secretary (Defence), Singapore Mr Chan HengKee.
- Who represented India in the 8th East Asia Summit Economic Ministers’ meeting (EAS-EMM) held recently?
1) Ram Vilas Paswan
3) Nitin Gadkari
4) Nirmala Sitharaman
5) Dharmendra PradhanAnswer-2) PiyushGoyal
8th East Asia Summit Economic Ministers’ Meeting (EAS-EMM) was held virtually which was attended by Economic Ministers from the ten ASEAN Member States, Australia, China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, the Russian Federation and the United States. The Meeting was chaired by Tran Tuan Anh, Minister of Industry and Trade of Viet Nam. From Indian side it was attended by PiyushGoyal, Minister of Railways and Minister of Commerce and Industry.
- What is India’s rank based on average monthly wage as per the data prepared by Picodi.com (Switzerland tops)?
5) 108Answer-2) 72
In accordance with the global ranking of average wages prepared by Picodi.com, India ranked 72nd among 106 countries with an average monthly wage of Rs 32,800 (USD 437). Picodi.com is an international e-commerce platform, headquartered in Poland, provides discount coupons. Its analysis team looked into earnings of countries around the world and created a global ranking of average wages.
Rank Country Average Monthly Wage 72 India Rs 32,800 (USD 437) 1 Switzerland 4,49,000 (USD 5,989) 2 Luxembourg Rs 3,00,900 (USD 4,014) 3 United States Rs 2,64,900 (USD 3,534)
- Which country has launched the warship Type-054 class for Pakistan army?
3) Sri Lanka
5) ChinaAnswer-5) China
China launched the first of the four advanced naval warships, Type-054 class frigates for the Pakistan Navy. The Type-054 class frigate is manufactured by China Shipbuilding Trading Company Ltd (CSTC) and was launched in the Chinese state-owned HudongZhonghua Shipyard, Shanghai.
- The astronomers at Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) have discovered the aberration in the formations of the stars in dwarf galaxies recently. The ARIES is located in which city?
5) LucknowAnswer-3) Nainital
ARIES astronomers DrAmitesh Omar and DrSumitJaiswal from the Department of Science and Technology of Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), Nainital, Uttarakhand discovered the aberration in the formations of the stars in dwarf galaxies while studying several such galaxies. This will provide an understanding about the formation of stars and evolution of less massive galaxies in the Universe.
- Name the country which plans to host BRICS Games 2021.
4) South Africa
5) BrazilAnswer-1) India
Minister of State (MoS) (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs and Sports, KirenRijiju attended the meeting between the Sports Ministers of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa) nations. During the meeting, the Ministers assessed the impact of COVID-19 on sports and discussed ways to bring back normalcy in the industry.After the meeting, Sports Minister KirenRijiju announced that India may host the BRICS Games in 2021 and may align it with the Khelo India Games in India.Haryana will host the fourth edition of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG).
- The Bryan brothers, “Bob” Bryan and “Mike” Bryan who announced retirement recently was associated with which sport?
5) BasketballAnswer-1) Tennis
The Bryan Brothers, 42-year-old identical twins Robert Charles “Bob” Bryan and Michael Carl “Mike” Bryan, the most successful American doubles tennis players announced their retirement from the professional circuit with immediate effect.They won around 119 trophies which includes 16 Grand Slams, 39 ATP Masters 1000s, four Nitto ATP Finals, 438 weeks at No. 1, the 2012 Olympic gold medal and 2007 Davis Cup triumph.
- Name the former cricketer/Cricket coach who co-authored the book titled, “Pitching It Straight” with MS Unnikrishnan.
1) J. Arunkumar
2) Gurcharan Singh
3) Sanjay Bangar
4) Ravi Shastri
5) None of the AboveAnswer-2) Gurcharan Singh
Indian Cricket Coach Gurcharan Singh (85 years old) penned his memoir titled “Pitching It Straight” which is co-authored by sports journalist MS Unnikrishnan and published by Vitasta The book portrays the personal and professional life of Gurcharan Singh, who trained numerous young talents.
- Vasanthakumar who passed away recently is a renowned ________.
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 2) and 3)Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
H.Vasanthakumar, Congress Member of Parliament-MP(Kanyakumari Loksabha Constituency), founder and chairman of Vasanth& Co, founder and managing director of Vasanth TV (Tamil channel) passed away at the age of 70 in Apollo hospital, Chennai, TamilNadu due to COVID-19. He is the first MP from TamilNadu to die due to COVID-19. The Indian businessman and politician from Tamil Nadu was born on April 14, 1950 in Kanyakumari, TamilNadu.
- Purushotham Rai who passed away in August 2020 is a _________.
3) Athletics Coach
5) MinimalistAnswer-3) Athletics Coach
Athletics Coach Purushotham Rai passed away at the age of 79 due to Cardiac Arrest, a day before he was to be conferred with the Dronacharya Award from President Ram NathGovind in the lifetime category. Purushotham Rai was the third person to receive the award from Karnataka in athletics after the Late N. Lingappa and V R Beedu.
- The national sports day was observed annually on August 29 to commemorate the birth anniversary of whom?
1) P.K. Banerjee
2) Dhyan Chand Singh
3) Milkha Singh
5) Balbir SinghAnswer-2) Dhyan Chand Singh
National Sports Day is annually observed on 29th August to commemorate the birth anniversary of Indian Hockey Legend Major Dhyan Chand Singh. The day is celebrated to create awareness among the general public on the importance of sports and to attract attention towards sports in India.The Government of India decided to celebrate the 29th August of every year as the National Sports Day in 2012. Dhyan Chand, was born on 29th August 1905 in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.The Sports Authority of India hosted the first virtual National Sports and Adventure Award ceremony during National Sports Day 2020.
- The prize money of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award was increased from Rs. 7.5 lakh to _______.
1) 10 Lakhs
2) 25 Lakhs
3) 15 Lakhs
4) 30 Lakhs
5) 50 LakhsAnswer-2) 25 Lakhs
On 29th August 2020, KirenRijiju announced a hike in 4 of the seven categories of the National Sports and Adventure Awards.The prize money of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award was increased from Rs.7.5 lakh to Rs. 25 lakhs.Arjuna Award has been increased from Rs.5 lakhs to Rs.15 Lakh.The lifetime Dronacharya Award was increased from Rs.5 Lakh to Rs.15 lakh and regular Dronacharya Award was increased to Rs.10 lakhs from Rs.5 lakhs.Dhyan Chand Awardees will be given 10 lakh rupees instead of 5 lakhs rupees.
- The UN International Day Against Nuclear Tests was observed annually on ________.
1) January 6
2) September 31
3) June 15
4) August 29
5) March 12Answer-4) August 29
United Nations(UN)’s International Day Against Nuclear Tests is observed annually on 29th August to create awareness and to educate the people about the facts and effects of nuclear weapon test explosions and other nuclear explosions. The first International Day against Nuclear Tests was observed on 29th August 2010.
- Which Central Armed Police Force has launched the app named ‘Pensioners Corner’?
1) National Security Guard (NSG)
2) Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)
3) Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
4) Border Security Force (BSF)
5) Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)Answer-2) Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) has created & launched an in-house mobile Application(app), ‘Pensioners Corner’to get in touch with the pensioners and to bring them to the digital platform as a one stop solution. It will also cater to the needs of its pensioners. It is a part of its ‘e-karyalay’, an electronic office app launched in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Nubra valley which is in news recently is located in which state/UT?
3) Arunachal Pradesh
5) ChandigarhAnswer-4) Ladakh
The government has started work on a Rs 1,200 crore project to connect the Nubra valley and Zanskar valley in Ladakh to the national power grid. As part of efforts to boost infrastructure in the Ladakh region, the government has started work on a Rs 1,200 crore project to connect the northern most tip of the country – the Nubra valley and highly remote central area – the Zanskar valley, with the national power grid.
- Machagora dam built across Pench river is located in which state?
1) West Bengal
3) Madhya Pradesh
5) AssamAnswer-3) Madhya Pradesh
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) on Saturday rescued a youth trapped for 24 hours in waters released from the Machagora dam in Belkheda village of the Chhindwara district.
- The headquarters of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is located in which city?
3) New York
4) New Delhi
5) WellingtonAnswer-3) New York
The headquarters of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is located in New York, United States.
- Where is the headquarters of Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) located?
5) New DelhiAnswer-3) Vienna
The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization is an international organization that will be established upon the entry into force of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, a Convention that outlaws nuclear test explosions. Its seat will be Vienna, Austria.
- Narora Atomic Power Station is located in which state?
2) Uttar Pradesh
5) MaharashtraAnswer-2) Uttar Pradesh
Narora Atomic Power Station is a nuclear power plant located in Narora, Bulandshahar District in Uttar Pradesh, India.