AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 29 July 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Indian railways has handed over the specifically modified 10 railway broad gauge locomotives to which country (July 2020)?
5) Hong Kong
Indian Railways handed over the specifically modified 10 railway broad gauge locomotives to Bangladesh, which will help in handling the increasing volume of passenger and freight train operations in Bangladesh. All locomotives can attain speed of up to 120 km per hour and have a residual life of 28 years or more. The locomotives were flagged off virtually to Bangladesh by External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and Railway Minister Piyush Goyal. The year 2020 is marking the birth centenary of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman aka Bangabandhu, the first President of Bangladesh, who was born on March 17, 1920.
- PM Modi virtually launched high throughput COVID-19 testing facilities at which Indian cities?
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) All the 1), 2) and 3)
Answer-5) All the 1), 2) and 3)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually launched three high throughput COVID-19 testing facilities at Kolkata, Mumbai and Noida to increase the test capacity by 10000 tests per day in each city. The COVID-19 testing facilities are established in the national institutes of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- Central government in collaboration with which world organization has decided to convert the area of ravines in the region of Gwalior-Chambal belt of Madhya Pradesh into cultivable land?
1) World Economic Forum
2) World Bank
3) International Monetary Fund
4) Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
5) Food and Agriculture Organization
Answer-2) World Bank
Narendra Singh Tomar, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare announced that the Central Government in collaboration with the World Bank has decided to convert the area of ravines in the region of Gwalior-Chambal belt of Madhya Pradesh into cultivable land. The decision was made through a virtual meeting with Adarsh Kumar, representative of the World Bank.
- As per the report titled, “Implications of AI on the Indian Economy”, released by NASSCOM along with the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) and Google, a unit increase in Artificial Intelligence (AI) intensity can boost India’s GDP by ______%.
According to The report titled, ’Implications of AI on the Indian Economy’ by National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) along with the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) and Google, a unit increase in Artificial Intelligence(AI) intensity (measured as the ratio of AI to total sales in the firm) can result in a 2.5% increase in India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) in the immediate term.
- NTPC Limited plans to establish solar power plant in which country (July 2020)?
2) Sri Lanka
Answer-2) Sri Lanka
Under the aegis of International Solar Alliance(ISA) NTPC Ltd, Largest power generation utility of India plans to establish solar power plants in Sri Lanka as a part of the strategy to exhibit the presence of India in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) amid China’s attempt to attract nations into the “Belt and Road” initiative.
- Indian railways set the target to use Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tag for tracking wagons by which year?
Indian Railways is on a mission to RFID Tag all wagons by December 2022. The Indian Railways will complete this process of fitting radio-frequency identification tags (RFID) in all the wagons by December 2022. These tags will be used for tracking all wagons.
- Which state government has renamed ‘Bilung’ village after popular folk song ‘Rangabati’?
The Odisha government has renamed Bilung village in the Bamra Tehsil of Sambalpur district to ‘Rangabati Bilung’ in recognition of the popularity of the famous folk-song.
- What is the outlay of the scheme for promotion of bulk drug parks approved by the Government of India to create 3 drug parks from FY21 to FY25?
1) 1,000 crores
2) 3,000 crores
3) 2,000 crores
4) 1,500 crores
5) 2,500 crores
Answer-2) 3,000 crores
Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers, Devaragunda Venkappa Sadananda Gowda launched guidelines for four schemes of Department of Pharmaceuticals (under ministry of chemical & fertilizers), two each for Bulk Drugs and Medical Devices parks, on the lines of making India Atma Nirbhar (self-reliant) in pharma sector. The scheme for Promotion of Bulk Drug Parks, which has been approved by the Government of India (GoI) on March, 2020 was launched with an outlay of Rs. 3,000 crores for a period of 4 years i.e. from FY2020-2021 to FY2024-2025 to create 3 bulk drug parks in India. Also, the scheme for Promotion of Medical Devices Park, which has been approved by the GoI on March, 20, 2020 was launched with an outlay of Rs. 400 Crore for a period of 4 years. In addition to that Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Promoting Domestic Manufacturing of Medical Devices with the Outlay of Rs. 3,420 cr & PLI scheme for promotion of domestic manufacturing of KSMs, DIs, & APIs in India with the Outlay of Rs 6,490 cr.
- Home minister Amit Shah distributed ______ electric potter’s wheels to artisans of Gujarat Under KVIC’s ‘Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana’ recently.
Under the ‘Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana’ of the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) Union Home Minister Amit Shah distributed 100 electric potter’s wheels to 100 trained artisans of Gujarat in a programme at the Gandhinagar constituency through video conferencing from New Delhi.
- IRCTC and SBI Card launched a co-branded contactless credit card on RuPay platform recently. Where is the HQ of SBI card located?
2) New Delhi
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) and SBI Card launched a co-branded contactless credit card, IRCTC -SBI Platinum Card on RuPay Platform to reward the frequent railway (train) travelers. The card is equipped with Near Field Communication (NFC) technology by which users can facilitate their transactions at the point of sale(POS) machines by Tap and Pay Option. This enables consumers to transact safely and securely online. SBI Card: Headquarters– Gurugram, Haryana.
- Which general insurance company launched crop insurance campaign,’Bohot Zaroori Hai’ for farmers in Maharashtra and Karnataka?
1) Aegon Life Insurance Company
2) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company
3) Bharti AXA General Insurance Company
4) Paytm General Insurance Limited
5) Reliance General Insurance Company
Answer-3) Bharti AXA General Insurance Company
Bharti AXA General Insurance has launched its crop insurance campaign,’Bohot Zaroori Hai’ for farmers in Maharashtra and Karnataka to encourage them about their yield protection and financial security. It aims to create awareness to farming communities about the relevance and significance of crop insurance, which can alleviate rural distress caused by crop failure or damage due to unseasonal rains, monsoon failure among others. Bharti AXA General Insurance had received Rs 800 crore worth crop insurance mandate from the governments of Maharashtra and Karnataka to insure their farmers under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
- Which bank provided liquidity support of USD 16.20 million as a COVID-relief for the Government of Maldives (On occasion of Maldives’ independence day on July 26, 2020)?
1) Union Bank of India
2) Bank of Baroda
3) State Bank of India
4) Bank of Maharashtra
5) Punjab National Bank
Answer-3) State Bank of India
On the occasion of Independence Day of the Maldives on July 26, 2020, the largest Indian public sector bank, State Bank of India (SBI) provided liquidity support of USD 16.20 million as a COVID-relief for the Government of Maldives to overcome liquidity shortage. The fund will support economic relief measures by utilizing it for local businesses and defers loan repayment for over 200 retail accounts.
- Indian oil corporation partnered with Total SA for joint venture to manufacture and market high-quality innovative bitumen. Total SA is the company of which country?
Indian Oil Corporation(IOC) has formed an equal (50:50) Joint Venture(JV) with France’s Total S.A. to manufacture and market high-quality innovative bitumen derivatives and superior quality products like polymer-modified bitumen, crumb rubber modified bitumen among others for the growing road-building industry in India.
- Which PSU signed MoU with Carbon Clean Solutions Limited (CCSL) to explore the project development opportunities in the Compressed Biogas (CBG) value chain in India?
1) MMTC Limited
2) MSTC Limited
4) NHPC Limited
5) GAIL Limited
Answer-5) GAIL Limited
GAIL (India) limited and Carbon Clean Solutions Limited (CCSL) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to explore the project development opportunities in the Compressed Biogas(CBG) value chain in India.
- Who has been appointed as the member of Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) formed by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) to deal with violation of environment rules (July 2020)?
1) Anil Kumar Jha
2) Brigadier Amar Singh
3) Manoj Kumar
4) Sumit Deb
5) Biswajit Basu
Answer-1) Anil Kumar Jha
The government appointed the former chairman of Coal India Ltd. (CIL), Anil Kumar Jha, as a member of Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) that deals with violation of environment rules. The panel was earlier constituted in June 2017 for three years. Its tenure has now been extended till June 2021.
- Name the Indian climate activist who has become member of António Guterres’s new Youth Advisory Group on Climate Change.
1) Licypriya Kangujam
2) Archana Soreng
3) Ridhima Pandey
4) Vandana Shiva
5) Sunita Narain
Answer-2) Archana Soreng
The United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres named Indian climate activist Archana Soreng among 7 members to his new Youth Advisory Group on Climate Change. The members will advise him regularly on accelerating global action and also provide solutions to tackle the worsening climate crisis. This is to mobilize climate action as part of the COVID-19 recovery efforts. The other members of the group are Nisreen Elsaim from Sudan, Ernest Gibson from Fiji, Vladislav Kaim from Moldova, Sophia Kianni from the United States, Nathan Metenier from France, and Paloma Costa from Brazil.
- Who has been appointed as the MD&CEO of Tata AIA Life Insurance company?
1) Manoj Kumar
2) Rishi Srivastava
3) Naveen Tahilyani
4) Anil Kumar Jha
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) Naveen Tahilyani
Naveen Tahilyani was appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive officer (CEO) of the Tata American International Assurance (AIA) life insurance company. His appointment was under regulatory approval from Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). Tahilyani succeeds Rishi Srivastava who has been moved to the Group Agency Distribution, AIA Group, Hong Kong, as CEO.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the CEO and Director of Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN).
1) Alok Misra
2) Harsh Shrivastava
3) Naveen Tahilyani
4) Sunita Narain
5) Biswajit Basu
Answer-1) Alok Misra
Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN), a Self-Regulatory Organisation (SRO) for the microfinance industry announced that Dr. Alok Misra will take over the present CEO, Harsh Shrivastava on 1st August 2020 as the New Chief Executive Officer(CEO) and Director. Alok Misra is currently serving as the Professor and Chairperson of public policy and governance at Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurugram.
- Which pharma company seeks permission from DGCI for ‘phase 2&3’ clinical trials of Oxford vaccine under brand name “Covishield” in India?
1) Zydus Cadila
2) Bharat Biotech
3) Serum Institute of India
4) Panacea Biotec
5) Indian Immunologicals
Answer-3) Serum Institute of India
The Serum Institute of India (SII), which has partnered with British-Swedish pharma company AstraZeneca for manufacturing the University of Oxford vaccine candidate for COVID-19, has sought permission from the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) for conducting “phase 2/3 human clinical trials” of the potential vaccine.
- The world hepatitis day (WHD) was observed annually on July 28. What is the theme for WHD 2020?
1) “Find the Missing Millions”
2) “Invest in eliminating hepatitis”
3) “Hepatitis-free future”
4) “Know Hepatitis and Act Now!”
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) “Hepatitis-free future”
World Health Organisations (WHOs) World Hepatitis Day is annually observed on 28th July to encourage the national and international efforts towards hepatitis and to educate the individuals and general public about the need for global response outlined by WHOs Global hepatitis report 2017.The first World Hepatitis Day was observed on 28th July 2011. The theme of 2020 World Hepatitis Day is “Hepatitis-free future” focusing on prevention of Hepatitis B among mothers and newborns. The 28th of July was chosen to honor the birth anniversary of Nobel Laureate Dr. Baruch Blumberg, who discovered the hepatitis B virus(HBV) and developed the diagnostic test and vaccine for HBV.
- When was world nature conservation day observed annually?
1) May 16
2) June 19
3) July 28
4) August 14
5) September 3
Answer-3) July 28
July 28th of every year is celebrated as the World Nature Conservation Day. This day is celebrated all over the world to create awareness about the conservation of natural resources and on environmental issues. Aim: To focus our efforts on preserving our natural environment and keeping our home, Earth, healthy.
- The International day for the conservation of the mangrove ecosystems 2020 is observed every year on _______.
1) 25th July
2) 29th July
3) 31st July
4) 26th July
5) 28th July
Answer-4) 26th July
The International Day for the Conservation of the Mangrove Ecosystems is celebrated worldwide on July 26th of every year. The day was adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in the year 2015. This day is also known as ‘World Mangrove day’ Aim: To raise awareness of the importance of mangrove ecosystems as “a unique, special and vulnerable ecosystem” and to promote solutions for their sustainable management, conservation and uses.
- Who launched the Bureau of Indian Standard’s Mobile App, ‘BIS-Care’ recently?
1) Nitin Gadkari
2) Nirmala Sitharaman
3) Amit Shah
4) Ram Vilas Paswan
5) Narendra Modi
Answer-4) Ram Vilas Paswan
Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Ram Vilas Paswan launched the Bureau of Indian Standard’s Mobile App, ‘BIS-Care’, by which consumers can check the authenticity of the ISI and hallmarked products and also lodge complaints using this app. In addition to this, he also launched 3 portals of e-BIS: standardisation, conformity assessment and training Portals on www.manakonline.in for consumers.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Defence Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR) is located at which city?
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has established a COVID-19 testing facility at the Leh-based Defence Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR) to enhance the rate of testing to identify coronavirus cases in the Union Territory of Ladakh.
- Where is the HQ of International Union for conservation of Nature (IUCN) located?
3) New York
The HQ of International Union for conservation of Nature (IUCN) located at Gland, Switzerland.
- Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state?
Two rhinos were spotted on July 28, 2020 in a residential area near Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary as forest area remains flooded following rainfall in Assam. Hundreds of wild animals have been marooned, a total of 132 animals at the Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve have died due to floods related incidents.
- Where is the HQ of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) located?
The HQ of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) located at Paris, France.
- Who is the present Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution?
1) Nitin Gadkari
2) Harsimrat Kaur Badal
3) Prahlad Singh Patel
4) Narendra Singh Tomar
5) Ram Vilas Paswan
Answer-5) Ram Vilas Paswan
Ram Vilas Paswan is the present Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.