AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 29 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The Indian Railways set to meet its energy consumption of over 33 billion units by which year?
Indian Railways organized a discussion over a wide range of topics with the stakeholders, chaired by Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Railways, to become 100% self-sustainable for all its energy needs and to contribute to the National Solar Mission of India. Indian Railways is set to meet its energy consumption which will be over 33 billion units by 2030. The discussion is aimed to achieve the ambitious plan of Indian Railways to achieve 100% Electrification of Railways by 2023. The current annual energy requirements of Indian Railways are around 21 billion units. Indian Railways has developed a mega plan to install solar power plants of capacity 20 Gigawatt(GW) by utilizing vacant lands by 2030.
- The Business with an annual turnover of up to _______ are exempted from GST (August 2020).
1) Rs 20 lakh
2) Rs 50 lakh
3) Rs 40 lakh
4) Rs 25 lakh
5) Rs 10 lakh
Answer-3) Rs 40 lakh
Businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs 40 lakh are GST exempt. Initially, this limit was Rs 20 lakh. Also, those with a turnover up to Rs 1.5 crore can opt for the Composition Scheme and pay only 1% tax.
- Find the organization which launched India Component of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)-Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA).
1) Finance Commission (FC)
2) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
3) National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog
4) National Development Council (NDC)
5) None of these
Answer-3) National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog
National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog launched the India Component of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)-Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA). The NDC-TIA India team will focus on establishing a multi-stakeholder dialogue for decarbonizing transport and providing technical support on Green House Gas emission reduction measures in India. India’s Think-Tank NITI Aayog will be the implementing agency in India. NDC-TIA is part of International Transport Forum (ITF)’s work on Decarbonising Transport in India that also includes Decarbonising Transport in Emerging Economies – India component. It is supported by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU).
- Government of Assam approved the ‘Assam Skill Development University Bill’ to set up World Class Skill University at Mangaldoi, Darrang District. The University will be financed by which bank?
1) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
2) New Development Bank (NDB)
3) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
4) World Bank (WB)
5) None of th Above
Answer-3) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Government of Assam approved the ‘Assam Skill Development University Bill’, which provides for setting up of World Class Skill University at Mangaldoi, Darrang District at a cost of 900 crore rupees. The University will be the first of its kind in the North-East Region and will be financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB). Assam Industry and Commerce Minister Chandra Mohan Patowary made the announcement about the setting up of the university, after a cabinet meeting. The State Government of Assam has tied up with Singapore based ITE Education Service, for setting up of the Skill Development University.
- Name the Kerala’s 1st marine ambulance which was inaugurated by Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan recently.
5) None of the Above
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the State’s First fully equipped Marine Ambulance ‘Pratheeksha’. It was acquired by the Fisheries Department at Kochi for rescue operations at sea. ‘Pratheeksha’ – built by Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) is the first of the three marine ambulances ordered by the state.
- Which state/UT has launched ‘Iraada’ campaign to include eligible left-out beneficiaries under social welfare schemes?
2) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer-2) Jammu & Kashmir
In Jammu & Kashmir, Dr Sagar D. Doifode, Doda District Deputy Commissioner(DCC) launched ‘Iraada’ campaign to include eligible left-out beneficiaries, who have not yet been enrolled to receive the financial assistance benefits under various social welfare schemes, which includes old age pension, widow and handicap scheme. In other words, the campaign is for 100% coverage under social welfare schemes.
- Which bank lead the consortium of 6 banks which signed deal with Uttar Pradesh Expressway Industrial Development Authority to fund Bundelkhand Expressway project?
1) Central Bank of India
2) State Bank of India
3) Bank of Baroda
4) Punjab National Bank
5) Canara Bank
Answer-3) Bank of Baroda
The Uttar Pradesh Expressway Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) signed a deal with the consortium of 6 banks led by Bank of Baroda (BoB) for funding construction of Bundelkhand Expressway project. The consortium of banks includes Bank of Baroda, Union Bank of India, Bank of Maharashtra, Indian Bank, Bank of India and UCO Bank. Bank of Baroda accepted the leadership of this consortium. UPEIDA, which is responsible for the construction of the Bundelkhand Expressway project, has taken a loan of Rs.5900 crores from 6 banks.
- Which department has decided to integrate electronic Pension Payment Order (e-PPO) with DigiLocker?
1) Department of Investment and Public Asset Management
2) Department of Consumer Affairs
3) Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
4) Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
5) Department of Public Enterprises
Answer-4) Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
The Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare (DoPPW), Ministry of Personnel Public Grievances and Pension, has decided to integrate the electronic Pension Payment Order (e-PPO) with Digi Locker. ‘Bhavishya’ software was used to create the facility.
- Which country has launched India backed infrastructure projects like Hulhumale Central Park and renovation of the Arrival Jetty recently?
5) None of the Above
The government of Maldives launched India backed infrastructure projects viz. Hulhumale Central Park and renovation of the Arrival Jetty in Maldives during a ceremony which was attended by Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid, Hulhumalé MP Ali Niyaz, High Commissioner Sunjay Sudhir, MD of Housing Development Corporation Limited (HDC) Suhail Ahmed and officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Maldives.
- The 6th anniversary of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY) was observed on August 28, 2020. The PMJDY is operated by which department of finance ministry?
1) Department of Economic Affairs
2) Department of Expenditure
3) Department of Investment and Public Asset Management
4) Department of Financial Services
5) Department of Revenue
Answer-4) Department of Financial Services
The 6th anniversary of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY) was observed which was launched on August 28, 2014. On this occasion, Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman reiterated the importance of this biggest financial inclusion initiative in the world. It has been the foundation stone for the Indian government’s people-centric economic initiatives.
- How many percentage of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) accounts are operative?
As on 19th Aug’20 the total number of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY) Accounts is 40.35 Crore; Rural PMJDY accounts: 63.6%, Women PMJDY accounts: 55.2% -Out of total 40.35 crore PMJDY accounts, 34.81 crore (86.3%) are operative. -Total deposit balances under PMJDY Accounts stand at Rs. 1.31 lakh crore. A mobile application Jan Dhan Darshak App was launched to provide a citizen centric platform for locating banking touch points such as bank branches, ATMs, Bank Mitras, Post Offices, etc. in the country.
- Shinzo Abe the prime minister of which country has resigned from the post in August 2020?
1) South Korea
5) None of the Above
Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan announced his resignation owing to his worsening health condition due to ulcerative colitis. 65-year-old Shinzo Abe of Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) was the longest serving Prime Minister of Japan. The elected new party leader will hold the post for the remaining 1-year term of Abe.
- Who has been appointed as the MD & CEO of SBI funds management?
1) Vinay M Tonse
2) Ashwani Bhatia
3) PC Kandpal
4) Rajnish Kumar
5) Dinesh Khara
Answer-1) Vinay M Tonse
Vinay M Tonse, appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of SBI Funds Management Pvt. Ltd. (SBIFMPL). He replaced Ashwani Bhatia, DMD of SBI, who was appointed as MD (IT- Information Technology & SARG-Stressed Assets Resolution Group) of SBI. Since June 22, 2020 Vinay M Tonse was on deputation to SBIFMPL.
- Name the commerce and industry minister who addressed the ASEAN -India Business Council Virtual Meet.
1) Ramesh Pokhriyal
2) Prakash Javadekar
3) Piyush Goyal
4) Nitin Gadkari
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) Piyush Goyal
Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal addressed the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN)-India Business Council Virtual Meet. He extended India’s friendship and partnership to ASEAN countries and expected to achieve a target of 300-billion-dollar trade through Business with them. He emphasized 3 C’s Cooperation, Collaboration & Commitment as guide for the strategic partnership between India and ASEAN countries.
- Pacific Alliance Group plans to acquire _______ stake in Edelweiss Wealth Management (EWM) for about 2,000 crores.
Private equity (PE) firm PAG to make a strategic investment of approximately Rs 2,200 crore (USD 300 million) for a 51% stake in Edelweiss Wealth Management (EWM). PAG with this deal will become a majority owner of the EWM of Edelweiss Global Investment Advisors (which also houses Edelweiss Asset Management, India’s largest alternatives and asset reconstruction platform, which is not part of the investment). The EWM business includes investment banking and capital markets businesses. It is to be noted that this is the PAG’s 1st PE investment in India.
- Union Agriculture and Farmers welfare minister Narendra Singh Tomar has launched the integration of ICAR-IIHR Seed Portal with YONO krishi web app of which bank?
1) Punjab National Bank
2) Indian Bank
3) Canara Bank
4) State Bank of India
5) IndusInd Bank
Answer-4) State Bank of India
Narendra Singh Tomar, Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare virtually launched the integration of State Bank of India’s (SBI) YONO (You Only Need One) Krishi platform with government’s online seed portal Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) and Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) to help the farmers in increasing the crop production along with the crop quality and income generation.
- Tharanga Paranavitana who announced retirement from international cricket played for which country?
5) Sri Lanka
Answer-5) Sri Lanka
2020 Sri Lankan Opening batsman Nishad Tharanga Paranavitana announced retirement from all forms of International Cricket at the age of 38. He is Sri Lanka’s highest ever run-getter in first-class cricket with 12, 522 runs.
- Who has become 1st player to take 500 wickets in T20?
1) Sohail Tanvir
2) SL Malinga
3) DJ Bravo
4) SP Narine
5) Imran Tahir
Answer-3) DJ Bravo
West Indies All-Rounder Dwayne John Bravo became the first bowler in Cricket to scalp 500 wickets in Twenty20 (T20). He achieved the feat in the Carribean Premier League (CPL)2020 match between his team Trinbago Knight Riders and St Lucia Zouks. Bravo took the wicket of Rahkeem Cornwall (18) to register his 500th wicket.
- Which team has won Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Champions League 2019-20?
1) Real Madrid
2) Paris Saint Germain
3) Bayern Munich
Answer-3) Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich (FC Bayern München), German football club won their 6th Championship in the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Champions League 2019-20. Bayern Munich became the champions of Europe by defeating the first time finalists Paris Saint Germain(PSG) 1- 0 at the finals held in Estadio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Ayaka Takahashi who announced retirement recently belongs to which sport?
2) Table Tennis
Japan’s Ayaka Takahashi, who won gold medal (Japan’s 1st gold medal in badminton) in Rio Olympics in 2016 Women’s Doubles Badminton along with Misaki Matsutomo, announced that she will end her career (retires) on August 31, 2020 as she has a doubt whether her inner fire and body will get through another year. She cited the postponement of the Tokyo Olympics 2020 to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic as one of the reasons.
- Archana Mahanta who passed away in August 2020 was the folk singer in which language?
Veteran Assamese folk singer Archana Mahanta passed away at the age of 72 in Health City hospital, Guwahati, Assam following a brain stroke. She was also a reputed artist of All India Radio (Guwahati). She is the wife of late Khagen Mahanta (known as ‘Bihu King’) and mother of Angaraag ‘Papon’ Mahanta, popular Indian singer and founder of the folk-fusion band Papon and The East India Company.
- Justice A.R. Lakshmanan who passed away recently was the chairman of _____ law commission.
Former Supreme Court Judge Justice, A.R. Lakshmanan (full name- Arunachalam Lakshmanan), died at the age of 78 in a private hospital in Trichy, Tamil Nadu following a heart attack. Currently he was the sitting representative of Tamil Nadu in the Mullai Periyar Panel headed by Justice A. S. Anand. He served as the chairman of the Law Commission (18th Law Commission) after his retirement. He was born in Devakottai in Sivaganga district, Tamil Nadu on March 22, 1942.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Dachigam National Park is located in which state/UT?
1) Jammu and Kashmir
2) Madhya Pradesh
3) West Bengal
5) Uttar Pradesh
Answer-1) Jammu and Kashmir
The government of Jammu and Kashmir launched the e-auction portal www.saffroneauctionindia.com created by its department of agriculture to promote the trade of Kashmir Saffron. The department under the aegis of India International Kashmir Saffron Trading Centre (IIKSTC) in partnership with NSE-IT established the portal. To promote the e-trading of Geographical Indications(GI) tagged “Kashmir Saffron” between registered growers and buyers. Dachigam National Park is located in Jammu & Kashmir.
- “Kiran” helpline will be launched by which ministry to launch mental health rehabilitation?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Health and Family Affairs
3) Ministry of Social justice and Empowerment
4) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
5) Ministry of Panchayat Raj
Answer-3) Ministry of Social justice and Empowerment
“Kiran” helpline number, 1800-599-0019, will offer support in 13 languages. Citing the prevalence of mental health issues and the unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 crisis, the Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry has said it will on August 27, 2020 launch a toll-free helpline to enable access to mental health resources.
- The GST council was constituted under which article of Indian constitution?
1) Article 219A
2) Article 249A
3) Article 259A
4) Article 279A
5) Article 299A
Answer-4) Article 279A
GST Council is an apex member committee to modify or to procure any law or regulation based on the context of goods and services tax in India. The council is headed by the union finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman assisted with the finance minister of all the states of India. It was constituted on 15th September 2016 under Article 279A of the Constitution.
- Where does the Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) – Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) located?
The Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) – Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) is located at Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Silent Valley National Park is located in which state?
2) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Silent Valley National Park, is a national park in Kerala, India. It is located in the Nilgiri hills, has a core area of 89.52 km², which is surrounded by a buffer zone of 148 km². This national park has some rare species of flora and fauna.
- Who is the present Lieutenant Governor of Jammu & Kashmir?
1) Anandiben Patel
2) Anusuiya Uikey
3) B. D. Mishra
4) Manoj Sinha
5) R. N. Ravi
Answer-4) Manoj Sinha
Manoj Sinha was as Lieutenant(Lt) Governor of Jammu and Kashmir(J&K) by President of India recently.