AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 28 July 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- India exchanged note verbale with which world group to renew its agreement on scientific and technological cooperation for the next five years (2020-2025)?
1) South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
2) Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
3) European Union (EU)
4) Group of 20 (G20)
5) Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
Answer-3) European Union (EU)
India and European Union (EU) exchanged Note Verbale to renew its Agreement on Scientific and Technological Cooperation for the next five years (2020-2025) which expired on May 17, 2020. It was initially inked on 23 November 2001 and renewed two times in past in 2007 and 2015. This renewal is on the lines of the decision taken by both nations during the virtual 15th India-EU Summit which was led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from India’s side. The European Union delegation was headed by European Council President Charles Michel and President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen.
- The Karnataka cabinet approved the new industrial policy for 2020-2025 recently. The state will hold ____% shares in companies under Karnataka digital economy mission.
Karnataka Cabinet approved the new Industrial Policy for 2020-2025 that aims to attract Rs 5 lakh crore investment and create about 20 lakh employment over the next 5 years to help mitigate the economic impact of the COVID-19 crisis. The cabinet also approved, to set up the Karnataka Digital Economy Mission under section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013 to promote 7,000 start-ups, e-commerce and other gig economy companies. 49% of the share will be held by the state and remaining 51% by the industries.
- The Chauk Chauraha road is renamed by the Lucknow municipal corporation in the memory of whom?
1) Vinayak Damodar Savarkar
2) Syama Prasad Mukherjee
3) Arun Jaitley
4) Lalji Tandon
5) Sushma Swaraj
Answer-4) Lalji Tandon
The Lucknow Municipal Corporation, Uttar pradesh(UP), has named a road Lucknow-Hardoi as Tandon Marg and a crossing Chauk Chauraha as Lalji Tandon Chauraha after former Madhya Pradesh(MP) Governor Lalji Tandon.
- How many children missed out on early childhood education in South Asian region due to COVID-19, as per UNICEF research titled “Childcare in a global crisis: The impact of COVID-19 on work and family life”?
1) 22 million
2) 30 million
3) 12 million
4) 20 million
5) 28 million
Answer-1) 22 million
In accordance with the new research titled “Childcare in a global crisis: The impact of COVID-19 on work and family life” by the United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF), 22 million children from South Asian countries, including India, have missed out on early childhood education in their pre-school year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic closure. This report was produced by UNICEF’s Office of Research – Innocenti.
- Which public sector bank partnered with Uniken to secure its Internet banking channels?
1) Punjab National Bank
2) Bank of Maharashtra
3) Union Bank of India
4) Bank of Baroda
5) State Bank of India
Answer-2) Bank of Maharashtra
The state-owned Bank of Maharashtra has joined hands with Uniken, a pioneer in the field of digital security in India to secure its Internet banking channels on mobile, card, call centers and ATMs, among others, against cyber fraud. In this regard, the bank will use Uniken’s REL-ID technology for Omni-channel security for its online banking app MahaSecure.
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) signed tripartite MoU with Vijnana Bharati and ‘which’ IIT under MHRD’s Unnat Bharat Abhiyan?
1) IIT Madras
2) IIT Calcutta
3) IIT Kanpur
4) IIT Delhi
5) IIT Gandhinagar
Answer-4) IIT Delhi
The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) signed a tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Delhi and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA), a Swadeshi Science Movement under the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA), a flagship programme under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
- Name the person who has been appointed as interim prime minister of Somalia.
1) Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
2) Mahdi Mohammed Gulaid
3) Hassan Ali Khaire
4) Sharif Sheikh Ahmed
5) Omar Sharmarke
Answer-2) Mahdi Mohammed Gulaid
President of Somalia, Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo appointed Deputy Prime Minister Mahdi Mohammed Gulaid as the interim Prime Minister of Somalia following the impeachment of Hassan Ali Khaire, the previous Prime Minister of Somalia.
- Hichem Mechichi has been appointed as the new prime minister of which country?
Tunisian President Kais Saied appointed Hichem Mechichi (46-year-old), Interior Minister as its new Prime minister. He has a month to form a government i.e., should be capable of winning a confidence vote in parliament by a simple majority. He succeeded Elyes Fakhfakh, who resigned over allegations of a conflict of interest.
- The Croatian parliament approved the new government led by Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic recently. What is the capital and currency of Croatia?
1) Tripoli & Dinar
2) Buenos Aires & Peso
3) Zagreb & Kuna
4) Mogadishu & Shilling
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) Zagreb & Kuna
The Croatian parliament approved the new government led by Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic whose Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) party won the most parliamentary seats in the general election held on July 5, 2020. The capital and currency of Croatia are Zagreb & Croatian kuna respectively.
- Indian air force commanders conference was held between July 22-24, 2020. What is the theme of the conference?
1) “IAF proud to the Nation”
2) “IAF plan for the future”
3) “IAF protecting the Nation”
4) “IAF in the Next Decade”
5) None of the Above
Answer-4) “IAF in the Next Decade”
Rajnath Singh, Union Minister of Defence inaugurated the Air Force Commanders Conference(AFCC) at the Air Headquarters (Vayu Bhawan), New Delhi. The conference chaired by Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria was conducted from 22nd July 2020 to 24th July 2020. The theme of the conference was “IAF in the Next Decade”.
- Which edition of India-EU Joint Economic and Trade Committee (JETCO) meeting 2020 held recently?
The 14th Joint Economic and Trade Committee (JETCO) meeting 2020 was held virtually for the first time amid COVID-19 between India and United Kingdom (UK), which was co-chaired by Minister for Commerce and Industry Piyush Vedprakash Goyal and UK Secretary of State for International Trade, Elizabeth Mary Truss. They were assisted by Minister of State (MoS) for Commerce and Industry Hardeep Singh Puri and his counterpart, UK Minister of State for International Trade, Ranil Jayawardena.
- Union Health and Family welfare minister, Harsh Vardhan participated Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) health minister’s digital meet recently. Where is the HQ of SCO located?
3) New Delhi
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Harsh Vardhan participated digitally in the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Health Minister’s Digital Meet at Nirman Bhawan, Delhi. The meeting was chaired by Mikhail Murashko, Minister of Health of the Russian Federation. The Headquarters of SCO is located at Beijing, China.
- “Ziyuan III 03” is the high-resolution mapping satellite of which country?
1) South Korea
3) United States
5) North Korea
China sent a new high-resolution mapping satellite namely “Ziyuan III 03”, developed by the China Academy of Space Technology, into space through Long March-4B carrier rocket from Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in the Northern Province of Shanxi, China. It was the 341st flight mission by the Long March rocket series. Along with high-resolution mapping satellite, two small satellites were sent. One of the satellites, named Tianqi 10, was launched for the Beijing-based company Guodian Gaoke for a communication and data relay mission. The other small secondary payload, named Lobster Eye 1, carries a wide-field X-ray astronomy instrument used for dark matter detection. These 2 satellites were developed by the Shanghai ASES Spaceflight Technology Co. Ltd.
- ASTHROS is the mission of which space agency?
1) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
3) Centre national d’étudesspatiales (CNES)
4) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
5) China National Space Administration (CNSA)
Answer-2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
The work has begun on an ambitious new mission that will carry a cutting-edge 8.4-foot (2.5-meter) telescope high into the stratosphere on a balloon. Tentatively planned to launch in December 2023 from Antarctica, ASTHROS (short for Astrophysics Stratospheric Telescope for High Spectral Resolution Observations at Submillimeter-wavelengths) will spend about three weeks drifting on air currents above the icy southern continent and achieve several firsts along the way. Managed by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, ASTHROS observes far-infrared light, or light with wavelengths much longer than what is visible to the human eye. To do that, ASTHROS will need to reach an altitude of about 130,000 feet — roughly four times higher than commercial airliners fly. Though still well below the boundary of space, it will be high enough to observe light wavelengths blocked by Earth’s atmosphere.
- Which state is going to host 4th edition of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG) in 2021?
The Minister of State of Youth Affairs and Sports, Kiren Rijiju and Haryana Chief Minister, Manohar Lal Khattar announced that Haryana will host the 4th edition of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG) in 2021 through video conference. The Games will be held in Panchkula in Haryana. Star Sports will be the Official Broadcast Partner like the previous year. The games will take place after the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
- Who authored the book titled “The India Way: Strategies for an Uncertain World”?
1) S Jaishankar
2) Narendra Modi
3) Ram Nath Kovind
4) Venkaiah Naidu
5) Arun Jaitley
Answer-1) S Jaishankar
The India Way: Strategies for an Uncertain World, a book authored by External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar, argues about the standards of India in the global order. The book was published under the HarperCollins India publications. The book centers about the three burdens that India’s foreign policy carries.
- Name the person who written the book named “Quest for Restoring Financial Stability in India”.
1) B.P. Kanungo
2) M. K. Jain
3) Viral V. Acharya
4) N. S. Vishwanathan
5) Shaktikanta Das
Answer-3) Viral V. Acharya
The book titled “Quest for Restoring Financial Stability in India” authored by former Reserve Bank of India(RBI) deputy governor Viral V. Acharya. The book portrays his quest to restore financial stability in India and offers a concrete plan for sustained improvement. The book is published by SAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd.
- Olivia de Havilland who passed away recently is a renowned _________.
1) Pop Singer
4) Law Maker
Olivia de Havilland, two time Oscar Winner died at the age of 104 in Paris, France. She was known as a doe-eyed actress. She was born on 1st July 1916, in Tokyo, Japan. She served as the last surviving lead of the movie ‘Gone with the Wind’. Olivia won an Oscar award for the movie ‘To Each His Own’ under the category Best supporting actress. Again in the year 1949 she won the second Oscar award for the movie “The Heiress’.
- Actor John Saxon who passed away in July 2020 belongs to which country?
3) United Kingdom
5) United States of America
Answer-5) United States of America
American actor, John Saxon passed away at the age of 83 at his residence in Murfreesboro, Tennessee due to pneumonia. He was born on 5th August 1936 as Carmine Orrico in Brooklyn, New York, United States of America. He won the Golden Globe Award for the new star of the year in 1958 for the movie “This Happy Feeling”.
- Annabella Allan Short (@Annie Ross) who passed away recently is a renowned ________.
1) Jazz Singer
3) Folk Dancer
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) All the 1), 2) and 3)
Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
Annabella Allan Short popularly known as ‘Annie Ross,’ a British-American jazz vocalist, and actress of the 1950s, passed away at the age 89 in New York, United States. She suffered from emphysema and heart disease. She was born on 25 July 1930, in London, United Kingdom.
- Which edition of Central Reserve Police Forces (CRPF)’s raising day was observed on July 27, 2020?
The Central Reserve Police Forces (CRPF)’s raising day is observed annually on July 27. This year marks the 82nd year of its existence. The CRPF came into existence as Crown Representative’s Police on 27th July 1939. It was renamed as CRPF on the enactment of the CRPF Act on 28th December 1949 by the country’s 1st home minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated annually on which date?
1) 29th November
2) 26th January
3) 15th August
4) 26th July
5) 14th June
Answer-4) 26th July
26th July 2020 is celebrated as the 21st Kargil Vijay Diwas which marks the 21st anniversary of India’s victory against Pakistan under Operation Vijay, launched to recapture the Indian Territories captured by the Intruders of Pakistani army in the Kargil Drass sector in 1999.
- When was the Income Tax day or Aaykar Diwas observed every year?
1) July 31
2) July 24
3) July 22
4) July 27
5) July 20
Answer-2) July 24
24th July 2020 is marked as the 160th Income Tax day or Aaykar Diwas by the Income Tax Department. The Income Tax Day has been celebrated in India on 24th July since 2010. In 2010, The Income Tax Department declared July 24th as the annual Income Tax Day to mark the 150th year of this levy, the income tax was first imposed as a duty and came into force on 24th July 1860.
- Name the mobile app which was launched by Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Harsh Vardhan (during 14th foundation day of Ministry of Earth Science on July 27, 2020).
4) Dark Sky
5) None of the Above
On July 27, 2020, In the event of 14th Foundation day of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Earth Sciences launched the mobile app “Mausam” designed and developed by the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)’s Digital Agriculture & Youth (DAY) team, the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune and the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- Which state/UT government launched a free website portal named ‘Rozgaar Bazaar’ for job seekers, employers?
2) Tamil Nadu
5) Jammu & Kashmir
The Delhi chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal launched a free website http://jobs.delhi.gov.in named ‘Rozgaar Bazaar 2020’ via video conference. The portal connects the job seekers and the recruiters on one platform.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- NTPC’s LARA super power thermal station is located in which state?
2) Uttar Pradesh
State-owned power giant NTPC on July 27, 2020 announced its 1,600 MW Lara super thermal power station in Chhattisgarh has been fully operational after 800 MW Unit-2 of the project was made fully functional. Earlier in September, the 800 MW Unit-1 of the project was made commercially operational.
- Nag river is located in which state?
2) Arunachal Pradesh
Recently, the Bombay High Court said that the Nag river has become extremely polluted due to industrialisation and urbanisation. The Nagpur city derives its name from the Nag river which passes through the city. The Nag river originates from the Ambazari Lake in west Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- Where is the HQ of European Union located?
The headquarters of European Union is located at Brussels, Belgium.
- What is the capital of Somalia?
3) Addis Ababa
4) Djibouti City
The capital and currency of Somalia are Mogadishu & Somali Shilling respectively.
- Tadoba–Andhari tiger reserve is located in which state?
The Union Ministry of Coal has removed the Bander coal mine in Chandrapur district of Maharashtra from the list of mines that are up for the auction under the Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Act, 2015. Bander was a part of the Tadoba–Andhari Tiger Reserve, Maharashtra the ministry said in a withdrawal notice issued on July 21, 2020. This was according to the notification declaring the area as an ecologically sensitive zone issued by the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.