AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 23 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) has marked 1 crore treatments recently. What is the nodal agency for the implementation of AB-PMJAY?
1) Central Drugs Laboratory
2) Rural Health Training Centre
3) National Centre for Disease Control
4) National Health Authority
5) Central Health Education Bureau
Answer- 4) National Health Authority
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Harsh Vardhan to mark 1 crore treatmentsof the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana(AB-PMJAY), the flagship health assurance scheme of government since September 2018 has inaugurated the 1st edition of Arogya Dhara, a series of webinars titled “Ayushman Bharat: 1 crore treatments and beyond” which is created as an open platform for discussion on topical issues of public health and launched ‘Ask Ayushman’ a chatbot on WhatsApp & “Hospital Ranking Dashboard”.The National Health Authority(NHA) is responsible for implementing the scheme.
- The Mumbai based Textiles Committee of Ministry of Textiles was named as the 9th approved lab to test and certify PPE coveralls. Name the current textile minister of India.
1) Harsimrat Kaur Badal
2) Smriti Irani
3) Arvind Sawant
4) Piyush Goyal
5) Hardeep Singh Puri
Answer-2) Smriti Irani
Textiles Committee, Mumbai (Maharashtra) of Ministry of Textiles was named as the ninth approved laboratory to test and certify Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) body coveralls produced in the country for healthcare workers and other COVID-19 warriors. The Textiles Committee has worked hard to develop the testing equipment namely “Synthetic Blood Penetration Testing equipment” for Determination of the resistance of Protective Clothing materials to penetration by blood and body fluids.Union Textile Minister– Smriti Zubin Irani.
- What is the rank of India in manufacturing of PPE body coveralls?
India has become the world’s second largest manufacturer of personal protective equipment (PPE) body coveralls within two months, following China. PPE body coveralls are crucial to safeguard against the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Which among the following department has jointly organised “Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM) MSME Conclave 2020 “along with SIDM and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)?
1) Department of Youth Affairs
2) Department of Scientific and Industrial Research
3) Department of Rural Development
4) Department of Defence Research & Development
5) Department of Defence Production
Answer-5) Department of Defence Production
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh participates in Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs) E-conclave, “Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM) MSME Conclave 2020“, jointly organised by SIDM, Confederation of Indian Industry(CII) and Department of Defence Production. The Theme of the E-conclave is ‘Business Continuity for MSMEs in Defence & Aerospace Sector’ in which more than 800 Defence MSMEs participated.
- Government has notified the amendments to the General Financial Rules, 2017 to ensure that goods and services valued less than _______ crores are procured from domestic firms.
Government has notified the amendments to the General Financial Rules(GFR) 2017 to ensure that goods and services valued less than Rs 200 crores are procured from domestic firms, which states that the global tenders will be banned for government procurement upto 200 crores as announced in the AatmanirbharBharat Package. This move will boost domestic suppliers, particularly Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs).
- Ministry of commerce has lifted ban on export of non-medical masks. Khadi and village industries commission (KVIC) planned to export its mask to foreign countries. KVIC comes under which ministry?
1) Corporate ministry
2) Skill development ministry
3) Commerce ministry
4) Minority affairs ministry
5) MSME ministry
Answer-5) MSME ministry
As the Ministry of Commerce and Industries lifted the ban on export of non-medical / non-surgical masks of all types, now Khadi and village industries commission (KVIC) under MSME ministry is looking at exporting Khadi face masks to countries like the USA, Dubai, Mauritius, several European and Middle East countries through the Indian embassies. In this regard, KVIC has already developed double layered cotton masks and triple-layered silk face masks. If this came to effect then it will be a perfect example of “local the global”, a call-in wake of AtmaNirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- The union cabinet has approved the extension of senior citizens pension scheme named ‘Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana’ till which year?
Union Cabinet has approved the extension of the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) for further 3 years till March 31, 2023 from March 31, 2020. The assured rate of return for fiscal 2020-21 has been pegged at 7.4% per annum. Earlier, the scheme offered an assured return of 8%. The expected financial liability will range from an estimated expenditure of Rs 829 crore in the 2023-24 fiscal to Rs 264 crore in last FY 2032-33.
- How many crores has been approved as Special Liquidity Scheme for NBFCs/HFCs to address their Liquidity Stress by Union cabinet?
A Special Liquidity Scheme for NBFCs and HFCs was announced in AtmaNirbhar Bharat Package by the Ministry of Finance has received a Union Cabinet post facto approval. The outlay of the scheme is Rs 30,000 crore and will be administered by the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
- What is the revised Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) as per RBI monetary policy committee?
Explanation:The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released its Monetary Policy Statement 2020-21 in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The three-day (May 20 to 22,2020) Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) virtual meeting by the 6 members was headed by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das with the members Dr.PamiDua, Dr. Ravindra H. Dholakia, Dr.Janak Raj, Dr. Michael Debabrata Patra and Dr. Chetan Ghate.
Policy rate New Rate Previous Rate Change in Basis points (bps) Policy Repo Rate 4.00% 4.40 % 40 Reverse Repo Rate 3.35% 3.75% 40 Marginal Standing Facility Rate 4.25% 4.65% 40 Bank Rate 4.25% 4.65% 40 Cash reserve Ratio (CRR) 3% 3% No change Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) 18.00% 18.25% 25
- To which bank RBI has infused Rs. 15,000 crores as line of credit (loan for 90 days to swap USD)?
2) EXIM bank
4) ECGC Bank
Answer-2) EXIM bank
The Reserve Bank extended loan of Rs 15,000 crore to the Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM Bank), which will be given this loan for 90 days to swap US (United States) dollars.This will help deal with the economic challenges faced by Coronavirus.
- What is the Industrial production decrease in India as per RBI in March 2020?
According to the RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, there has been a 17 % decrease in industrial production in March 2020 with the output of 8 core industries (coal, crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertiliser, steel, cement and electricity) has decreased by 6.5 % and manufacturing has fallen by 21 %.
- What is the grant that was announced for emergency operations by World Bank for 100 developing countries (in USD)?
1) 160 billion
2) 180 billion
3) 220 billion
4) 200 billion
5) 140 billion
Answer-1) 160 billion
The World Bank announced emergency operations worth USD (United States Dollar) 160 billion to 100 developing countries over a 15-month period to fight the deadly Coronavirus. The coronavirus pandemic and shutdown is expected to put over 60 million into extreme poverty globally.
- Name the PSU which has signed agreement with NTPC to start joint venture for renewable energy project.
1) Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
2) Bharat Immunologicals and Biologicals Corporation
3) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
4) Central Warehousing Corporation
5) Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
Answer-3) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) and NTPC have signed a preliminary agreement to set up a joint venture for a renewable energy project and entered into a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on 21st May 2020 in New Delhi to formalize the agreement. The joint venture will gain significant growth in the renewable power sector
- The state owned Ircon International Limited (IRCON) has signed MoU with RZD International L.L.C., a subsidiary of government-owned Railways Company belongs to which country?
State-owned Ircon International Limited (IRCON) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with RZD International L.L.C. (Limited Liability Company), a subsidiary of government-owned Russian Railways Company, to explore opportunities for joint development of railways and other infrastructure projects in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
- Union Health minister Harsh Vardhan has attended Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) health ministers meet recently. The present chairperson of NAM,Ilham Aliyev belongs to which country?
Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan participated in the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Health Ministers meeting through video conference. The NAM Summit is organised in a time when international community faces a pandemic and the meeting was chaired by Minister of Health, Republic of Azerbaijan, Mr. OgtayShiraliyev. The Azerbaijan president Ilham Aliyev is the present chairperson of the NAM.
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has approved the proposal of which public sector bank to continue with 30% holding in India First Life Insurance?
1) Canara Bank
2) Indian Bank
3) Punjab National Bank
4) State Bank of India
5) Union Bank of India
Answer-5) Union Bank of India
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India(IRDAI) has approved the proposal of the state-owned lender Union Bank of India-UBI(which holds 25.1% stake in Star Union Dai-Chi Life) to continue with its 30% holding in IndiaFirst Life Insurance.
- The US based equity giant KKR has bought _____% stake in Jio platforms.
Reliance Industries Limited(RIL) announced the sale of a 2.32 % stake in its digital unit, Jio Platforms to US private equity giant KKR for Rs 11,367 crores, which is the 5th deal of Jio since 22 April that will inject Rs 78,562 crores in RIL to cut debt.
- Name the company which has acquired 10% stake in Gurugram based Voicezen.
1) Reliance Jio
2) Vodafone Idea
4) Bharati Airtel
Answer-4) Bharati Airtel
Bharti Airtel acquired a10% strategic stake in Voicezen, a Gurugram based startup in early stage focused on conversational AI technologies under the fast expanding Airtel Start-up Accelerator Program as a part of its strategy to deliver highly differentiated service experience.
- CCI has approved 100% acquisition of Emami cement by which company?
1) Nuvoco vistas
2) Dishman Carbogen Amcis
3) Jain Irrigation Systems
4) CIL Nova Petrochemicals
5) Duncan Engineering
Answer-1) Nuvoco vistas
The Competition Commission of India(CCI) has approved 100% acquisition of the total issued and paid up share capital of Emami Cement Limited(ECL)on a fully diluted basis, by Nuvoco Vistas Corporation Limited(NVCL) for an enterprise value of Rs 5,500 crore.
- Name the company which acquires popular GIF database GIPHY.
Facebook has acquired New York based GIF database GIPHY for $400 million to integrate its GIF library into Instagram and other Facebook apps, Vishal Shah, Instagram’s VP of product.
- Name the country which has launched a new space defense unity to monitor and counter threats to the country’s satellites recently.
1) United Kingdom
3) United States
Japan has launched a new space defense unity to monitor and counter threats to the country’s satellites. The main role of the unit is to monitor and protect Japanese satellites from enemy attacks or space debris and also to conduct satellite-based navigation and communications for other troops in the field.The capital and currency of Japan is Tokyo and Japanese yen respectively.
- Name the IIT which has discovered methods to prevent memory loss due to Alzheimer.
1) IIT Kanpur
2) IIT Guwahati
3) IIT Madras
4) IIT Delhi
5) IIT Gandhinagar
Answer-2) IIT Guwahati
The research team of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati headed by Professor Vibin Ramakrishnan, Department of Bioscience and Bioengineering and Professor Harsha Nemade, Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, IIT Guwahati with research scholars Dr. Gaurav Pandey and JahnuDaikia worked on a new idea to help in preventing or reducing the short-term memory loss associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Scientists at Pune based Agharkar Research Institute (ARI) have mapped two alternative dwarf genes – Rht14 and Rht18– in which crop?
According to the research published in The Crop Journal and Molecular Breeding, a team of Scientists at the Agharkar Research Institute (ARI) based in Pune (Maharashtra) have mapped two alternative dwarf genes – Rht14 and Rht18– in wheat that can eliminate rice crop residue burning.
- The SCTIMST has commercially launched RNA extraction Kit ‘Agappe Chitra Magna’ for detection of COVID-19. SCTIMST is located in which state?
2) Tamil Nadu
4) Andhra Pradesh
Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Science and Technology (SCTIMST), Trivandrum, Kerala with Agappe Diagnostics Ltd, Cochin, a vitro-diagnostics manufacturing company organised the commercial launch of The Agappe Chitra Manga, a magnetic nanoparticle-based RNA extraction Kit for the detection of COVID-19 at the Biomedical Technology Wing of SCTIMST.
- The researchers at which IIT has developed a solar ‘parabolic trough collector’ system for concentrating solar energy for industrial applications?
1) IIT Kanpur
2) IIT Guwahati
3) IIT Madras
4) IIT Delhi
5) IIT Gandhinagar
Answer-3) IIT Madras
Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M), developed a solar ‘parabolic trough collector’ (PTC) system for concentrating solar energy for industrial applications like desalination, space heating and space cooling.
- The ‘Pinangaandamanensis’ which is seen in Andaman Islands will be grown in Kerala now with the help of Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute. ‘Pinangaandamanensis’ is species of which tree?
A rare palm of South Andaman Island ‘Pinangaandamanensis’ will be grown in Palode (Kerala) with the help of Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute (JNTBGRI).
- Name the person who authored the book titled “Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes”.
1) Salman Rushdie
2) Ruskin Bond
3) Vikram Seth
4) Arundhati Roy
5) Amitav Ghosh
Answer-2) Ruskin Bond
Popular author Ruskin Bond has authored a book titled ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes. The e-book format was released on the occasion of his 86th birthday. The illustration of the new book has been done by Samrat Halder and published by Speaking Tiger’s children’s imprint Talking Cub.
- The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) is observed every year on May 22. What is the theme for IDB 2020?
1) Our solutions are in nature
2) Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health
3) Celebrating 25 years of Action for Biodiversity
4) Mainstreaming Biodiversity: Sustaining People and their Livelihoods
5) Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism
Answer-1) Our solutions are in nature
International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) is celebrated every year May 22 globally. The day was declared by the United Nations (UN) to raise awareness and increase understanding of biodiversity issues. Biological Diversity is not limited to nature alone, but also plants, animals, microorganisms and different ecosystems. Theme for the year 2020: Our solutions are in nature.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Galwan valley is located in which Indian state/UT?
3) Jammu & Kashmir
4) Arunachal Pradesh
The Chinese government often says the border dispute with India is a legacy of history. The dispute has influenced bilateral ties between New Delhi and Beijing for nearly 70 years despite dozens of rounds of negotiations over the years. Archival documents from 1962 reveal tit-for-tat allegations by India and China on soldiers trespassing in Ladakh sector’s Galwan Valley — where the most recent standoff took place. The Galwan Valley region, which China claims is part of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, is part of the 3,488 km long border dispute.
- Rhode Island belongs to which country?
1) United Kingdom
3) United States
Answer-3) United States
Infosys is partnering with Rhode Island in launching a privacy-first contact tracing solution to help people and state officials slow the spread of coronavirus as part of the state’s effort to safely reopen businesses while reducing occurrences of community transmission. Officially the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, is a state in the New England region of the United States. It is the smallest U.S. state by area and the seventh least populous, but it is also the second most densely populated.
- What is ‘S’ in SWAYAM (portal of HRD ministry) stands for?
Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ informed that the Students enrolled in Universities and affiliated colleges may undertake SWAYAM(Study Webs of Active–Learning for Young Aspiring Minds) courses and avail credits by completing these courses as per University Grants Commission (UGC)’s present regulations on credit framework for online learning courses. Pokhriyal further informed that UGC has shared a list of 82 Under Graduate & 42 Post Graduate Non-Engineering MOOCs courses with University Vice Chancellors and College Principals,which will be offered in July Semester 2020 on SWAYAM Platform.
- 4. ‘Mount Harriet’ National Park is located in which state/UT?
1) Andaman and Nicobar
2) Tamil Nadu
4) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-1) Andaman and Nicobar
Mount Harriet National Park is a national park located in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands union territory of India.
- Where is the HQ of Union Bank of India located?
The HQ of Union Bank of India is located at Mumbai, Maharashtra.