AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 23 July 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- India and Southern African Customs Union (SACU) revived initiative for Preferential Trade Agreement recently. Where is the HQ of SACU located?
5) Cape Town
A virtual meeting between India and Southern African Customs Union (SACU), consisting of South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini, have been revived to achieve a Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) and to discuss its various aspects. The Indian side was led by Srikar Reddy, Joint Secretary, Department of Commerce while SACU was led by Amb. Steve Katjiuanjo, Executive Director, Ministry of Industrialization,Trade and SME (small and medium enterprises) Development of Namibia. The Headquarters of SACU located at Windhoek, Namibia.
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) launched its 1st footwear training center in which city?
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has opened the first-of-its-kind footwear training center in Delhi to train the marginalized community of leather artisans. The center has been established with the technical know how of Central Footwear Training Institute (CFTI) in Agra which is a unit of the Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises.
- According to International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)’s 7th edition of “ITUC Global Rights Index 2020”, India ranked among 10 worst countries for working people. Where is the HQ of ITUC located?
1) New Delhi
In accordance with the 7th edition of “International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) Global Rights Index 2020-The World’s Worst Countries for Workers”, India became the new entrant in the 10 worst countries for working people in the world, with a rating of 5 that states “No guarantee of rights”. The index ranked 144 countries on the basis of respect for workers’ rights.The other countries among the worst ten are- Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Philippines, Turkey and Zimbabwe along with Egypt & Honduras being the other two new entrants apart from India.The headquarters of International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) located at Brussels, Belgium.
- Which country signed EPC agreement with Pakistan for 700 MW Azad Pattan hydel power project on Jhelum river.
3) United States
4) North Korea
Pakistan and Gezhouba Group Company Limited of China signed an Engineer Procurement and Contract (EPC) agreement for the 700 MW Azad Pattan Hydel Power Project on Jhelum River in the Sudhnoti District of Pakistan occupied Kashmir(PoK). Imran Khan, Prime Minister of Pakistan witnessed the signing in a ceremony in Islamabad. This 1.5 billion USD project is a 2nd power project under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor(CPEC).
- Which state/UT cabinet approved the doorstep ration delivery scheme named ‘Mukhya Mantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana’?
1) Tamil Nadu
The Delhi Cabinet has approved ‘Mukhya Mantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana’ to deliver ration directly to the homes of beneficiaries. This scheme and Centre’s ‘One Nation One Ration Card ‘scheme will be implemented on the same day in Delhi. After the completion of the tendering process and other formalities, the doorstep delivery of ration scheme will be implemented. This will take around 6 to 7 months.
- Name the public sector bank which signed corporate agency pact with Life Insurance Corporation of India.
1) Union Bank of India
2) Bank of Baroda
3) Oriental Bank of Commerce
4) Bank of Maharashtra
5) State Bank of India
Answer-1) Union Bank of India
Union Bank of India (UBI), after its amalgamation with Corporation Bank and Andhra Bank, has announced a corporate agency agreement with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to distribute latter’s policies. As per the pact, UBI can act as a financial supermarket by offering LIC products of term insurance, pension, plan, children plan, ULIPs, and endowment schemes to its account holders, whereby they can select products according to their choice.
- Fampay partnered with which bank to launch India’s 1st numberless card ‘FamCard’?
1) Nainital Bank
2) ICICI Bank
3) IDFC First Bank
4) Kotak Mahindra Bank
5) IDBI Bank
Answer-3) IDFC First Bank
FamPay, India’s first Neobank for teenagers, in partnership with IDFC First Bank launched India’s 1st numberless card, FamCard. The FamPay with National Payments Corporation of India(NPCI) developed this card. This card is accepted across the RuPay payment network of merchants. It is similar to a debit card which enables teenagers to transact in a cashless manner.
- India’s GDP to contract by _______ in FY21 as per estimation of Nomura.
As per the report of Nomura Holdings, Inc, a Japanese brokerage firm, India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) is likely to contract by 6.1%(-6.1%) in FY21 as economic activity continues to be weak due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Which Indian PSU has supplied 20.60 MT of DDT 75 % WP to South Africa for Malaria control?
HIL (formerly Hindustan Insecticides Limited), a PSU under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers has supplied 20.60 Metric tonne of DDT (dichloro-diphenyl-trichloroethane) 75 % Wettable powder (WP) to South Africa for their Malaria control program in three province adjoining Mozambique. The region is highly affected with Malaria and it has reported maximum morbidity and mortality due to the disease in recent years. It is to be noted that HIL is the sole manufacturer of DDT globally.
- India signed MoU with which country for the establishment of ‘Emergency Medical Services Unit’?
5) Sri Lanka
Government of India (GoI) has signed an agreement with Ministry of Health of Maldives for the establishment of ‘Emergency Medical Services Unit’ at Baa Atoll Dharavandhoo Hospital in Male.The project would cost MVR (Maldivian rufiyaa) 8.5 million (Approximately Rs 4,14,58,782) out of which MVR 7.5 million (Approximately Rs 3,64,03,786) is grant from India. It will be constructed by LF Construction Pvt Ltd of Maldives.
- Name the state which signed MoU with AMUL to help women self-help groups and to encourage the cooperatives in government sectors.
3) Tamil Nadu
4) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-4) Andhra Pradesh
The Government of Andhra Pradesh signed a MoU with AMUL (Anand Milk Union Limited) to empower women self-help groups (SHG) and to encourage the cooperatives in government sectors.
- Punjab government signed MoU with which IIT for skill development?
1) IIT Delhi
2) IIT Madras
3) IIT Kharagpur
4) IIT Mandi
5) IIT Ropar
Answer-5) IIT Ropar
The Punjab government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar (IIT Ropar), for Skill Development in Chandigarh.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the Chair of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) of the National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA).
1) S. Subramanian
2) Vidya Rajaram
3) Anantha Narayanan
4) R. Narayanaswamy
5) Suhas Tuljapurkar
Answer-4) R. Narayanaswamy
R. Narayanaswamy, Professor of Finance and Accounting in Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) was appointed as the Chair of the Technical Advisory Committee(TAC) of the National Financial Reporting Authority(NFRA), independent accounting and auditing regulator set up by the Government of India.
- Who has been appointed as the MD&CEO of SBI general insurance company?
1) Prakash Chandra Kandpal
2) Pushan Mahapatra
3) Devesh Srivastava
4) V Ramasamy
5) A K Das
Answer-1) Prakash Chandra Kandpal
Non-life insurer SBI General Insurance Company Limited announced that it has appointed Prakash Chandra(P C) Kandpal as its Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO), effective from July 20. He succeeds Pushan Mahapatra, who has been appointed as a director (strategic investments & digital initiatives), effective from 18th July, 2020.
- Sumit Deb has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of which PSU?
Appointment Committee of the Cabinet(ACC) approved the appointment of Sumit Deb as the Chairman and Managing Director of the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) till 28th February 2023, the date of his superannuation. Sumit Deb who is currently serving as the Director (Personnel) in NMDC, will take charge as the CMD of NMDC on or after August 1, 2020.
- Find the person who got 1-year extension in service as acting President of National Company of Law Tribunal (NCLT).
1) Acharya Dev Bhat
2) AB Pandey
3) Mahesh Kumar
4) BSV Prakash Kumar
5) MM Kumar
Answer-4) BSV Prakash Kumar
The Ministry of Corporate affairs has extended the tenure of Bethala Shanta Vijaya (BSV) Prakash Kumar, the acting President of National Company of Law Tribunal (NCLT) for one month with effect from 5th July. This is his second extension.
- Roshni Nadar Malhotra become the chairperson of which company (1st woman to chair listed Indian IT firm)?
1) Sonata Software
2) Tata Consultancy Services
3) HCL Technologies
4) Tata Communication
5) Tech Mahindra
Answer-3) HCL Technologies
Roshni Nadar Malhotra, India’s richest woman becomes the 1st woman to head a listed Indian IT company as she took over as the Chairperson of HCL Technologies from her father and billionaire Shiv Nadar(Founder & chairman).
- Who has been appointed as the chairman of Bajaj Finance (with effect from August 1, 2020)?
1) Jamnalal Bajaj
2) Rahul Bajaj
3) Sanjiv Bajaj
4) Rajiv Bajaj
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) Sanjiv Bajaj
Rahul Bajaj, the present non-executive chairman of Bajaj Finance has decided to step down on July 31, 2020 and he will be replaced by his son Sanjiv Bajaj (the present Vice Chairman of the company) from August 1, 2020.
- Who has received 2019 National award of excellence for outstanding research in forestry from the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE)?
1) Kannan CS Warrier
3) K. Ravichandran
4) C Buvaneswaran
5) None of the Above
Answer-1) Kannan CS Warrier
Kannan CS Warrier, Senior Principal Scientist (Scientist F) at the Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding (IFGTB) received the 2019 National Award of Excellence for Outstanding Research in Forestry from the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE).
- Find the person who has become the first recipient of Gulbenkian prize for humanity.
1) Greta Thunberg
2) Xiye Bastida
3) Kallan Benson
4) John Paul Jose
5) Lilly Platt
Answer-1) Greta Thunberg
A 17 years old climate activist from Sweden namely Greta Thunberg became the first recipient of the inaugural (1st edition) Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity, awarded by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. The award in the amount 1 million euro ($1.15 million) recognized her ability to mobilize younger generations for the cause of climate change.
- Name the Anti-tank guided Nag missile which was tested by DRDO at Interim Test Range in Balasore, Odisha.
The Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) conducted the flight trials of the HELINA (Helicopter-launched Nag Missile) anti-tank guided missile named “Dhruvastra” without Helicopter at the Interim Test Range in Balasore, Odisha.
- Which lab of DRDO developed World’s most agile and lightest surveillance drone named ‘Bharat’?
1) High Energy Materials Research Laboratory, Pune
2) Defence Electronics Research Laboratory, Hyderabad
3) Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory, Chandigarh
4) Defence Electronics Applications Laboratory, Dehradun
5) Defence Bio-Engineering & Electro Medical Laboratory, Bengaluru
Answer-3) Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory, Chandigarh
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) provides the drone named “Bharat” – indigenously developed by the Chandigarh based laboratory of DRDO (Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory – TBRL), to the Indian Army to monitor the high altitude areas and mountain terrains along the line of actual control in the Easter Ladakh (China Border). The Bharat series drones are listed among World’s most agile and lightest surveillance drones.
- Which country conducted a successful flight test of the MGTD-20 gas turbine engine made by 3D-printing for the 1st time (July 2020)?
The Russian Foundation for Advanced Research Projects in the Defense Industry informed that Russia for the first time conducted a successful flight test of the MGTD-20 gas turbine engine made by 3D-printing. The flight tests were held at Kazalbash aviation center in Tatarstan. The production of the aircraft is scheduled on 2021-2022.
- The ‘Mi-8AMTSh-VN’ is the attack transport helicopter of which country?
3) South Korea
5) Saudi Arabia
The Russian Helicopters manufacturing company(part of Rostec corporation) informed that Russia’s new Mi-8AMTSh-VN attack transport helicopter is being tested. The first phase of the tests is to be completed in November. After the test, two new vehicles of this type will also be tested.
- Barry Jarman who passed away recently is associated with which sport?
Former Australian test wicket keeper, an ex-International Cricket Council match referee Barry Jarman passed away at the age of 84 years, who played in 19 tests and scored two half-centuries among his 400 runs at an average of 14.81 and made a test debut in 1959.
- When was world oral health day observed annually?
1) April 12
2) July 21
3) June 26
4) May 14
5) March 20
Answer-5) March 20
World Oral Health Day(WOHD) is observed globally on 20 March every year.The objective of this day is to create global awareness and promote good oral health for everyone and empower individuals to maintain a healthy mouth at all ages. The theme of campaign 2020 is #Unite for Mouth Health. Note: The day was first declared by FDI World Dental Federation in 2007 and first officially celebrated in 2013.
- The Earth hour 2020 was observed on ________.
1) March 28
2) April 2
3) March 14
4) April 11
5) March 21
Answer-1) March 28
Earth hour 2020 is observed on March 28 (last Saturday of March annually), a one-hour observance(8.30 P.M- 9.30 P.M) is organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature(WWF).The main aim is to create awareness about global conversations on protecting nature.This year event is to ‘Raise your voice for nature’ and call for stronger climate action. Note:This Earth hour was started by WWF and partners as a symbolic lights-out event in Sydney in 2007.
- Prevention of Blindness Week was observed annually from 1 to 7 of which month?
In order to increase awareness towards blind people, Prevention of Blindness Week 2020 is observed from April 1 to April 7 every year, which is a campaign planned by the Government of India. Note:Under the Societies Registration Act of 1860, It was first started by Jawaharlal Nehru and Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur in 1960.
- Which year was declared as International Year of Creative Economy for Sustainable Development by United Nations?
The United Nations(UN) has declared 2021 as the International Year of Creative Economy for Sustainable Development at the 74th session of the UN General Assembly. The resolution recognizes the need to promote sustained and inclusive economic growth,foster innovation and provide opportunities, benefits and empowerment for all and respect for all human right Note:Indonesia was the main sponsor of the proposal, which was presented by a global grouping of countries, including Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Mongolia, Philippines and Thailand.
- The president of which country initiated the proposal to United Nations to declare 2021 as International Year of Peace and Trust?
The United Nations(UN) has adopted the Resolution on declaration of 2021 as International Year of Peace and Trust to strengthen the ideals of peace, both within and between countries, which was initiated by the President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov at the 106th plenary meeting of the 73rd session of the United Nation General Assembly.
- E-Sachivalaya portal is launched by which state?
1) Madhya Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
Haryana Chief Minister (CM) Manohar Lal Khattar launched e-Sachivalaya portal, a digital platform to enable people to take online appointments for virtual meetings with the chief minister, deputy CM, ministers and other heads of various departments. He also launched a web portal for plasma donation on the occasion.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Ballon d’Or is the annual prize awarded to person associated with which sport?
The prestigious Ballon d’Or, voted for by journalists and organized by French magazine France Football, is an annual prize awarded to the best male footballer in the world since 1956. The women’s Ballon d’Or was first awarded in 2018. Ballon d’Or 2020 scrapped for the first time in its 64-year history.
- Hornbill festival is celebrated in which state?
The famed Hornbill Festival in Nagaland is unlikely to be held this year in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, a senior official said on Monday. The 10-day Hornbill Festival that usually starts on December 1 celebrates the culture and heritage of different tribes of the State. It is attended by lakhs of people from across India and abroad.
- The Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) is located in which city?
The Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad is a globally recognized autonomous institution under Ministry of Earth Sciences, Govt. of India. The Centre provides free dedicated ocean information services to the Nation, using state-of-the-art technology and research, for increasing Safety and Profit. The three primary services provided are the Tsunami Early Warning Service, Ocean State Forecast Service and Potential Fishing Zone Advisory Service. Swachhata Pakhwada was held at the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services till 15 July.
- What does ‘A’ in ARC denotes?
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) recently issued a fair practices code for asset reconstruction companies (ARCs), stating that these entities must follow transparent and non-discriminatory practices in acquisition of assets. In order to enhance transparency in the process of sale of secured assets, invitation for participation in auctions shall be publicly solicited and the process should enable participation of as many prospective buyers as possible. The terms and conditions of such sale may be decided in wider consultation with investors in the security receipts as per SARFAESI Act 2002 and the spirit of Section 29A of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 may be followed in dealing with prospective buyers as per RBI.
- Which is world’s biggest desert lake?
Fishermen on the shores of Kenya’s Lake Turkana, the world’s biggest desert lake, have no doubt about what is to blame for their dwindling fish stocks: a giant hydroelectric dam built by Ethiopia on the River Omo, which feeds the lake.
- Who is the MD&CEO of Union Bank of India (UBI)?
1) G. Padmanabhan
2) Padmaja Chunduru
3) Pallav Mahapatra
4) T. C. A. Ranganathan
5) Rajkiran Rai G
Answer-5) Rajkiran Rai G
Rajkiran Rai G is the present Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Union Bank of India (UBI).
- Where is the headquarters of Fampay located?
3) New Delhi
The headquarters of Fampay located at Bengaluru, Karnataka.