AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 23 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Where is Asia’s Deepest Gas Field ‘R-cluster’, the 1st operational project of the 3 deep-water gas projects by Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), BP (The British Petroleum Company) located?
1) Mandovi Zuari River Basin
2) Narmada River Basin
3) Krishna-Godavari River Basin
4) Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna River basin
5) Brahmaputra River Basin
Answer-3) Krishna-Godavari River Basin
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), BP (formerly known as The British Petroleum Company plc) have commenced Gas production from Asia’s Deepest Gas Field ‘R-cluster’ situated in the KG-D6 block, Krishna-Godavari basin of the Bay of Bengal (eastern coast of India). The gas reserve is located at a water depth of greater than 2, 000 meters, making it the deepest offshore gas field in Asia. ‘R-cluster’ is the 1st operational project of the 3 deep-water gas projects that RIL & BP are developing together in the KG-D6 block. The other two projects are Satellites Cluster & MJ Field.
- Which organisation has collaborated with National Water Mission (NWM), Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS) for “JSA II: Catch the Rain” Awareness Generation Campaign for rainwater harvesting with the tagline “catch the rain, where it falls, when it falls”?
1) Food Corporation of India (FCI)
2) National Cadet Corps (NCC)
3) Environmentalist Foundation of India (E.F.I)
4) Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS)
5) Young India Foundation (YIF)
Answer-4) Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS)
On December 21, 2020, National Water Mission (NWM), Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS) in collaboration with Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS), Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports (MoYAS) launched the “JSA II: Catch the Rain” Awareness Generation Campaign in New Delhi. JSA stands for Jal Shakti Abhiyan. The awareness generation phase of the campaign will run from mid-December 2020 to March 2021 with the tagline “catch the rain, where it falls, when it falls”. The campaign focuses towards water conservation and rainwater harvesting with the involvement of youngsters.
- Where was India’s 1st Call Centre for Aquafarmers launched by Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA)?
1) Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
2) Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
3) Nagpur, Maharashtra
4) Hyderabad, Telangana
5) Ludhiana, Punjab
Answer-2) Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) has launched India’s 1st Call Centre for Aquafarmers at Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. The call centre will handle calls in English & Hindi. Through the Call Centre, MPEDA will address the technical issues, and impart knowledge about efficient farming methods. The call centre will primarily cater to the needs of aqua farmers in Andhra Pradesh, as it is responsible for 60% of India’s marine products export basket. The headquarters of MPEDA is situated in Kochi, Kerala.
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has proposed the adoption of E20 fuel for reducing vehicular pollution, what does E20 represents?
1) Mixing 10% Ethanol with 10% Gasoline
2) Mixing 20% Ethanol with Gasoline
3) Removing 20% Ethanol from Gasoline
4) Mixing 10% Ethanol and 10% Methanol with Gasoline
5) Mixing 20% Methanol with Gasoline
Answer-2) Mixing 20% Ethanol with Gasoline
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has proposed the adoption of E20 – a blend of 20% of Ethanol & Gasoline as automobile fuel to reduce vehicular emissions & also to cut India’s oil import bill. Ethanol is a biofuel, it is a common by-product of biomass left by Agricultural feedstock like Corn, Sugarcane, Hemp, Potato. At present, only 10% of ethanol blend is permissible in India, but India has reached only 5.6%.
- Where did Himachal Pradesh CM Jai Ram Thakur commenced the International Gita Mahotsav 2020 that will be held from 17 to 25 December, 2020?
The International Gita Mahotsav 2020 (17 to 25 December) commenced in Kurukshetra, haryana. Jai Ram Thakur, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister, Haryana Tourism and Education Minister Kanwar Pal, Kurukshetra MP Nayab Singh Saini among the others inaugurated the festival. The highlight of the day is when 55,000 school students will collectively recite 19 verses from the Bhagavad Gita on the concluding day. The international festival is held every year, where about 9,000 students will be from Kurukshetra and the remain will be from the rest of 21 districts in the state.
- Who represented India in the recently held India-Vietnam Virtual Summit 2020 where 7 MoUs (Memorandum of Understandings) were signed to enhance the Joint Vision for Peace, Prosperity and People to guide the future development on December, 2020?
1) Amit Shah
2) Narendra Modi
3) Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
4) Rajnath Singh
5) Nitin Gadkari
Answer-2) Narendra Modi
On December 21, 2020, the India-Vietnam Virtual Summit 2020 held which was co-chaired by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi and his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc. It held to review the entire gamut of bilateral relations, and to discuss regional & global issues of mutual interest, including post-pandemic economic revival. Both sides inked 7 MoUs (Memorandum of Understandings) and also set forth the Joint Vision for Peace, Prosperity and People to guide the future development of India – Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.
- Which Bank recently launched its ‘RuPay Select’ contactless debit card in association with National Payments Corporation of India(NPCI) on December, 2020?
1) State Bank of India
2) Indian Bank
3) Bank of Baroda
4) Union Bank of India
5) Central Bank of India
Answer-5) Central Bank of India
On December 21, 2020, the occasion of Central Bank of India’s 110th foundation day, the bank in association with National Payments Corporation of India(NPCI) launched ‘RuPay Select’, a unique variant of contactless debit card. It is the bank’s one-of-its-kind health & wellness focused card. On this occasion, the Central Bank of India also launched FASTAG (for electronic toll collection) in association with OSTA. Cardholders can avail complimentary membership and concessional access to golf courses, gyms, spas and restaurants.
- What is the name of package for which a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed by Bank of Baroda with Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard and renewed its existing MoU with the Indian Army?
1) Baroda Military Financing Package
2) Armed Force Finance Package
3) Baroda Military Loan Package
4) Baroda Military Salary Package
5) Armed Force Loan Package
Answer-4) Baroda Military Salary Package
On December 21, 2020 Bank of Baroda(BoB) to offer special customized banking services through ‘Baroda Military Salary Package’ has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard and renewed its existing MoU with the Indian Army. This package was also presented to the Indian Air Force. The bank has covered all 4 Armed Forces under the Ministry of Defence. A similar package was also introduced to Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) by the bank.
- Which organisation will receive USD 40 mn (Rs 295 crore) loan from Asian Development Bank to lend loans to MSME’s and affordable housing finance companies in India?
1) Northern Arc Capital Limited
2) Vivriti Capital Private Limited
3) Hinduja Leyland Finance Limited
4) Small Industries Development Bank of India
5) Ashv Finance Limited
Answer-1) Northern Arc Capital Limited
On December 21, 2020 The Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $40 million (around Rs 295 crore) loan to Northern Arc Capital Ltd(NACL) for on lending to microfinance borrowers, Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and affordable housing finance companies in India who are facing difficulties to attract debt funding from investors. As part of ADB’s ongoing COVID-19 response, this rupee denominated loan is given to NACL.
- What was India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) projection for FY 2021, which is forecasted by National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) in the ‘2020-21 Mid-Year Review of the Indian Economy’ report on December 2020?
On December 22, 2020 The ‘2020-21 Mid-Year Review of the Indian Economy’ of National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) has forecasted that India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) in FY21 will contract by 7.3%(-7.3%) from -12.6% estimated in September 2020 with anticipation that the economy will register marginal growth in the December quarter.
- Which organisation signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), Ministry of Jal Shakti for the use of High-Resolution Aquifer Mapping & Management in Arid Region of North-Western India, on December 2020?
1) Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture (ICAR-CRIDA)
2) CII- Triveni Water Institute
3) International Water Management Institute
4) Council of Scientific and Industrial Research–National Geophysical Research Institute (CSIR-NGRI)
5) National Ground Water Training & Research Institute (NGWTRI)
Answer-4) Council of Scientific and Industrial Research–National Geophysical Research Institute (CSIR-NGRI)
On December 21, 2020, a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) was signed between Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), Ministry of Jal Shakti and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research–National Geophysical Research Institute (CSIR-NGRI) headquartered in Hyderabad (Telangana) for use of advanced heliborne geophysical survey and other scientific studies in parts of Rajasthan, Gujarat and Haryana under the Aquifer Mapping Programme.
- What will be built in Vietnam using the USD 5 million Grant Assistance provided by India as per the agreement signed between Embassy of India, Hanoi and Telecommunications University, Ministry of National Defence, Vietnam?
1) Army Hi-tech Communication Network
2) Army Software Park
3) 5G Infrastructure
4) Petroleum Refining Park
5) Armed Force University
Answer-2) Army Software Park
The Embassy of India, Hanoi and Telecommunications University, Ministry of National Defence, Vietnam signed an agreement for US$ 5 million Indian Grant Assistance for Army Software Park at National Telecommunications University, Nha Trang, Vietnam. The agreement will facilitate setting up of IT infrastructure at the Army Software Park with provision for training and services in the field of software applications.
- Which Indian organisation signed an MoU with Vietnam National Cancer Hospital to collaborate in research and health care service to treat Cancer patients?
1) Tata Memorial Centre
2) Apollo Speciality Hospital
3) AIIMS, New Delhi
4) The Cancer Institute
5) Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology
Answer-1) Tata Memorial Centre
India-Vietnam signed 7 MoUs (Memorandum of Understandings) and also set forth the Joint Vision for Peace, Prosperity and People to guide the future development of India – Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership. One of them was to promote exchanges in the areas of training and scientific research, health care services, collaboration in diagnosis and treatment for cancer patients, a MoU was inked between Tata Memorial Centre (TMC) and Vietnam National Cancer Hospital.
- Which state government recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with UN Women to establish India’s first Gender Data Hub on December, 2020?
1) Tamil Nadu
On December 21, 2020 UN Women signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Kerala Govt’s Gender Park to establish India’s first Gender Data Hub at the Gender Park at 24-acre Kozhikode campus, where International Institute for Gender and Development is also present. Gender Park will function as the South Asian hub for gender equality that aims to share knowledge and experiences from the region.
- Which state government’s Department of Information Technology, Electronics, and Communication (DITECH) has signed an MoU with India Accelerator (IA) to build startup ecosystem?
5) Madhya Pradesh
Startup Haryana setup by the Department of Information Technology, Electronics, and Communication (DITECH), Government of Haryana has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India Accelerator (IA) to build a strong startup ecosystem in Haryana. The MoU will help in bridging the gap between Industry & startups.
- Where will be the Gujarat-Special Education Region (G-SER) established as per the MoU signed between Government of Gujarat & Cerestra Ventures?
On December 21, 2020, Government of Gujarat & Cerestra Ventures entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the establishment of Gujarat-Special Education Region (G-SER) at the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR). The G-SER will be spread over 1, 000 acres. G-SER will include residential and sports complexes for students. The establishment of G-SER will help in overall development of the region, and in the establishment of Gujarat as a knowledge-driven economy.
- What was recently added to the UNESCO’s “Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity” for its significance among Singapore’s tradition, on December 2020?
1) Bagpipe Culture
2) Washoku Cuisine
3) Gastronomic Meal
4) Beer Culture
5) Hawker Culture
Answer-5) Hawker Culture
Singapore’s tradition of communal dining at hawker centres has been included in the UNESCO’s (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) “Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity” for its cultural significance. Singapore hawker culture got this recognition two year after Singapore submitted a bid to be included in the list. The award took place at a virtual ceremony on December 16, 2020. Singapore must submit a report every six years to UNESCO, showing the efforts made to safeguarding and promoting its hawker culture.
- Who was recently honoured with ‘Legion of Merit’ (Degree: Chief Commander) by US President Donald Trump on December, 2020?
1) Rajnath Singh
2) Karambir Singh
3) Narendra Modi
4) Bipin Rawat
5) Manoj Mukund Naravane
Answer-3) Narendra Modi
On December 21, 2020, United States (US) President, Donald Trump conferred the ‘Legion of Merit’ (Degree: Chief Commander) to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi for Advancement of India-US strategic partnership & steadfast leadership and vision for India’s Emergence as a Global power. The Honor was also bestowed upon Scott Morrison, Prime Minister of Australia & Former Prime Minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe.
- Who was honoured with the title of ‘Global Visionary of Sustainable Business and Peace’ for promoting ‘unity, peace and sustainability’ by the Federation of Indo-Israel Chambers of Commerce (FIICC) on December, 2020?
1) Ratan Tata
2) Larry Ellison
3) Narendra Modi
4) Warren Buffett
5) Bill Gates
Answer-1) Ratan Tata
On December 21, 2020 The Federation of Indo-Israel Chambers of Commerce (FIICC) honoured Veteran industrialist Ratan Naval(N) Tata (82 years old) with the title of ‘Global Visionary of Sustainable Business and Peace’ for promoting ‘unity, peace and sustainability. During the event, FIICC announced the global partnership with Dubai headquartered IFIICC, an independent organisation that was recently launched as an international platform for collaboration between Israel and the Indian migration.
- Who received the 2020 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize (10000 USD)?
1) Yifeng Liu
2) Shai Evra
3) Kannan Soundararajan
4) Jack Thorne
5) Manjul Bhargava
Answer-2) Shai Evra
The 2020 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize (10000 USD) will be awarded to Shai Evra of Princeton University, United States and Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel for her research which concerns locally symmetric spaces of arithmetic groups and their combinatorial, geometric and topological structure.
- What will be created in India as per the proposal made by PM Narendra Modi during the 6th India-Japan SAMVAD Virtual Conference on December, 2020?
1) Tallest Buddhist Statue in the World
2) Mahabodhi Temple
3) Buddhist Stupa
4) Buddhist Monastery
5) Library for Buddhist Literature
Answer-5) Library for Buddhist Literature
On December 21, 2020, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi virtually addressed the 6th India-Japan SAMVAD Conference. During the Address, PM proposed to create a Library in India containing Traditional Buddhist Literature, Scriptures including digital copies from across the world. The conference was hosted by Nikkei Inc & Vivekananda International Foundation (VIF). The Library will also serve as a platform for research and dialogue for scholars.
- Who will lead the High-Level Committee (HLC) which will be constituted by GOI to commemorate the 125th Birth Anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on 23rd January 2021?
1) Rajnath Singh
2) Amit Shah
3) Bipin Rawat
4) Narendra Modi
5) Nitin Gadkari
Answer-2) Amit Shah
On Dec 22, 2020, the Government has decided to constitute a High Level Committee (HLC), to be headed by Union Minister Amit Shah, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), for commemoration of 125th Birth Anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. The Committee will decide on yearlong activities starting 23rd January, 2021. He was born on January 23, 1897. The Commemoration is being held as a tribute to the contribution that Netaji made to India’s freedom struggle.
- Who recently chaired the Meeting of National Museum Institute Society in New Delhi, to review the proposal of setting up an Indian Institute of Heritage (IIH) on December, 2020?
1) Pralhad Joshi
2) Prahlad Singh Patel
3) Narendra Modi
4) Kiren Rijiju
5) Hardeep Singh Puri
Answer-2) Prahlad Singh Patel
The Minister of State for Culture and Tourism, Prahlad Singh Patel chaired a meeting of the National Museum Institute Society in New Delhi. Outstation members attended the meeting through Virtual Mode. The agenda of the meeting was relating to announcement of Government to establish Indian Institute of Heritage (IIH), and also to deliberate upon changing the nomenclature of existing National Museum Institute Society to Indian Institute of Heritage Society (IIHS).
- Which company sold 4.47% stake in AU Small Finance Bank for Rs 1,247.69 crore through open market transactions on December, 2020?
1) Kohlberg Kravis Roberts
2) Advent International
3) Warburg Pincus
4) TPG Capital
5) General Atlantic
Answer-3) Warburg Pincus
On December 18, 2020 Redwood Investment Ltd, an entity owned by Warburg Pincus sold a 4.47% stake (13.7 million shares) in AU Small Finance Bank for Rs 1,247.69 crore through open market transactions. As per the latest shareholding data, Warburg Pincus held 4.58% of AU Small Finance Bank.
- Who became BBC’s 2020 Sports Personality of the Year?
1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Roger Federer
3) Virat Kohli
4) Lewis Hamilton
5) Lionel Messi
Answer-4) Lewis Hamilton
Seven-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton capped another successful year by claiming the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year for 2020.
- Which Mauritian badminton player was banned for 2 years for anti-doping violation by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on December, 2020?
1) Kate Foo Kune
2) Aatish Lubah
3) Martine de Souza
4) Nozomi Okuhara
5) Carolina Marin
Answer-1) Kate Foo Kune
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has banned Mauritian badminton player Kate Jessica Foo Kune for two years for an anti-doping violation on December, 2020. Foo Kune tested positive for a banned steroid during the 2019 African Badminton World Championships in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, but a Badminton World Federation (BWF) panel ruled she bore no fault or negligence.
- Which Tennis player was banned for 2 years by Tennis Integrity Unit on December, 2020?
1) Youssef Hossam
2) Mostafa Hatem
3) Sherif Sabry
4) Sandra Samir
5) Karim Hossam
Answer-2) Mostafa Hatem
Egyptian tennis player Mostafa Hatem was banned for two years as part of a match-fixing case by Tennis Integrity Unit on December, 2020.
- Veteran Congress leader and 2 times Chief Minister Motilal Vora passed away on December, 2020, he was the former CM of _______ state.
1) Madhya Pradesh
3) Himachal Pradesh
Answer-1) Madhya Pradesh
On 21st December 2020, Motilal Vora, a veteran congress leader who twice served the Chief Minister(CM) of Madhya Pradesh(MP), passed away at the age of 93 in a private hospital in Delhi. He died due to post COVID-19 complications. He was born on 20th December 1927 in Nimbi Jodha, near Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- When was National Mathematics Day observed annually, marking the birth anniversary of India’s renowned mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan?
1) 19th December
2) 21st December
3) 18th December
4) 22nd December
5) 14th December
Answer-4) 22nd December
The National Mathematics Day is annually observed across India on 22nd December to mark the birth anniversary of the renowned mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. The day aims to create awareness among people about the importance of mathematics. Former Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh decided and proclaimed the 22nd December of every year as the National Mathematics Day.
- Which state has highest number of Leopards as per the ‘Status of Leopards in India, 2018’ report released by Union Minister Prakash Javadekar, that recorded India’s 60 % jump in Leopard population compared to 2014?
3) Tamil Nadu
5) Madhya Pradesh
Answer-5) Madhya Pradesh
On December 21, 2020, Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC), Prakash Javadekar released the ‘Status of Leopards in India, 2018’ report. The report states that India has recorded a 60% rise in Leopard population across the country and it now has 12, 852 Leopards. The states Madhya Pradesh (3, 421), Karnataka (1, 783) & Maharashtra (1, 690) recorded the most number of leopards.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Kilauea volcano located?
5) New Zealand
Kīlauea is an active shield volcano in the Hawaiian Islands. Historically, Kīlauea is the most active of the five volcanoes that together form the island of Hawaii.
- In which state does the world heritage site Bodh Gaya located?
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) Madhya Pradesh
Bodh Gaya is a village in the northeast Indian state of Bihar. Considered one of the most important Buddhist pilgrimage sites, it’s dominated by the ancient brick Mahabodhi Temple Complex, built to mark the site where the Buddha attained enlightenment beneath a sacred Bodhi Tree.
- Who is the current Governor of Gujarat state as of December, 2020?
1) Acharya Devvrat
2) Om Prakash Kohli
3) Lalji Tandon
4) Kalraj Mishra
5) Kalyan Singh
Answer-1) Acharya Devvrat
Acharya Devvrat is an Indian politician who is the Governor of Gujarat since July 2019.
- When was the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) founded?
The National Tiger Conservation Authority was established in December 2005 following a recommendation of the Tiger Task Force, constituted by the Prime Minister of India for reorganised management of Project Tiger and the many Tiger Reserves in India.
- Who is the current Prime Minister of Japan on December, 2020?
1) Shinzō Abe
2) Shigeru Ishiba
3) Tarō Asō
5) Yoshihide Suga
Answer-5) Yoshihide Suga
Yoshihide Suga is a Japanese politician who has been Prime Minister of Japan since September 2020.
- Who established Azad Hind Government in 1943 that remains a cause for the fall of British Empire in India?
1) V. O. Chidambaram Pillai
2) Jawaharlal Nehru
3) Subhas Chandra Bose
4) Motilal Nehru
5) Vallabhbhai Patel
Answer- 3) Subhas Chandra Bose
Azad Hind Government was established by Subhas Chandra Bose in 1943 which remained a cause for the fall of British Empire in India.
- Which is the capital of Vietnam?
2) Ho Chi Minh City
3) Phnom Penh
Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, is known for its centuries-old architecture and a rich culture with Southeast Asian, Chinese and French influences.