AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 22 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (GoI) has launched scheme for 100% solarization of Konark Sun Temple. The Konark sun temple is located in which state?
1) West Bengal
5) JharkhandAnswer-4) Odisha
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) announced that the Government of India launched a scheme for 100% solarisation of Konark Sun Temple and Konark town in Odisha.The objective of this scheme is to advance the Prime Minister’s vision to develop the historical Sun Temple town of Konark as ‘Surya Nagri’ and to meet all the energy requirements of the Konark town with solar energy.Odisha Renewable Energy Development Agency (OREDA) will be implementing this scheme.
- How manydefence itemswas approved for procurement from local suppliers to boost ‘Make in India’ by defence ministry recently.
5) 38Answer-2) 26
The Department of Defence Production(DDP), Ministry of Defence in order to further encourage procurement from local suppliers to boost ‘Make in India’, has approved 26 defence items out of 127 already notified have now been notified under clause 3(a) of the Public Procurement (Preference to Make in India) Order 2017.
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change gave environmental clearance to Oil India Ltd (OIL) for drilling and testing of hydrocarbons at Dibru-Saikhowa National Park. The Dibru-Saikhowa NP is located in which state?
4) Himachal Pradesh
5) UttarakhandAnswer-3) Assam
Public Sector Undertaking(PSU) major Oil India Ltd(OIL) informed that the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change(MoEF&CC) gave environmental clearance for extension drilling and testing of hydrocarbons at 7 locations inside the Assam’s Dibru-Saikhowa National Park(NP).
- In which Indian state the women Rural Livelihood Mission has started ‘Didi Vehicle Service’ for rural women for the safe delivery and other emergency services?
1) Madhya Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) Tamil NaduAnswer-1) Madhya Pradesh
In the tribal-dominated Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh (MP), the women Rural Livelihood Mission started Didi Vehicle Service for rural women for the safe delivery and other emergency services. This vehicle service is completely free.
- With which country India has signed the 2nd Addendum to the Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade (adds 5 ports of call and 2 routes) recently?
1) Sri Lanka
5) AfghanistanAnswer-4) Bangladesh
India & Bangladesh signed the 2nd Addendum to the Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade in Dhaka. Under this pact- Increased 5 more ports of call from earlier 6(Total- 11) & extended 2 ports of call in each country; 2 new Indo Bangladesh Protocol(IBP) routes(from 8 to 10) & new locations are also added to the existing routes to facilitate the trade between two countries.
- Name the world organisation which joined hands with Airtel Africa to extend e-learning support to students.
1) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
2) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
3) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
4) Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)Answer-3) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) partnered with Bharti Airtel’s Africa Arm to support the school children in the coronavirus affected areas and provide them access to remote learning and financial assistance to their families through mobile cash transfer.
- Name the person who is set to take charge as chairman of the World Health Organization Executive Board (chosen at 73rd session of world health assembly).
1) Harsh Vardhan
2) Nirmala Sitharaman
3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
4) Prakash Javadekar
5) Narendra ModiAnswer-1) Harsh Vardhan
Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan is set to take charge as the chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board at its 147th session, as the proposal regarding his appointment was signed at WHA73. He is the Indian incumbent minister at the Ministry of Science & Technology, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Earth Sciences. He will succeed Dr Hiroki Nakatani of Japan.
- Keva Bain has been elected as the president of 73rd session of World Health Assembly. He belongs to which country?
5) BahamasAnswer-5) Bahamas
Keva Bain from the Bahamas, country’s permanent representative to the United Nations (UN), has been elected to serve as president of the 73rd World Health Assembly.
- Which Indian state has rolled out ‘Rajiv Gandhi KisanNyay Yojana’ for farmers?
1) Madhya Pradesh
5) Tamil NaduAnswer-2) Chhattisgarh
The state government of Chhattisgarh has launched its ambitious ‘Rajiv Gandhi KisanNyay Yojana’ on May 21, 2020 (29th death anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi) to encourage crop production in the state and to give the farmers the right price for their produce.
- Name the bank which has been appointed as advisor to assist in monetising assets of 6 Wind-up Schemes of Franklin Templeton.
1) UCO bank
2) Kotak Mahindra bank
3) City Union bank
4) RBL bank
5) Ujjivan SFBAnswer-2) Kotak Mahindra bank
Franklin Templeton Trustee Services Pvt. Ltd. has appointed an independent advisor Kotak Mahindra Bank to work together with Franklin Templeton Asset Management (India) Pvt. Ltd (the AMC), to assist the Trustees in monetizing portfolios of the 6 schemes that are being wound up & make payouts to the affected investors.
- Which multinational company has partnered with banking & insurance products company Intellect Design Arena to launch iTurmericFinCloud platform?
5) InfosysAnswer-1) IBM
IBM (International Business Machines) ties up with the Intellect Design Arena Limited, a full spectrum banking and insurance products company, has launched iTurmericFinCloud platform through IBM public cloud targeting financial institutions which are looking to switch to the latest tools and technologies.
- What is the revised growthrate of India in FY21 as per ICRA Limited?
5) -7%Answer-4) -5%
ICRA Limited (formerly Investment Information and Credit Rating Agency) has sharply reduced the India’s FY21 (Fiscal Year 2020-21) growth forecast to minus 5 % from 1%-2% growth predicted earlier, due to the multiple extension of lockdown and labour mismatches results in further delays in supply chain resumption.
- The central board of direct taxes (CBDT) has exempted companies with a turnover of over ₹50 crore and involved in only B2B transactions from the requirement of accepting payments only by electronic modes like ________.
3) Master card
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 2) and 3)Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), a statutory authority functioning under the Department of Revenue in the Ministry of Finance, has exempted firms engaged in business-to-business (B2B) transactions, from the requirement of accepting payments only by e-payments facilities using debit cards powered by RuPay or BHIM-UPI (Bharat Interface for Money- Unified Payments Interface).
- As per Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO), what is the expected fall in exports in India in the current fiscal year?
5) 30%Answer-4) 20%
The Federation of Indian Export Organisations(FIEO), apex body of exporters informed that Indian exports are expected to fall by 20% in the current fiscal, in value terms it will be around USD 50 to 60 billion & also imports due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Name the Indian company which has joined hands with Thomas Jefferson University of Philadelphia to develop vaccine for COVID-19.
2) Indian Immunologicals Limited
4) Bharat Biotech
5) PiramalAnswer-4) Bharat Biotech
Vaccine manufacturer Bharat Biotech and Thomas Jefferson University of Philadelphia have signed an exclusive deal to develop a new vaccine candidate for COVID-19 at Jefferson with the support from the Department of Biotechnology, Bharat Biotech aims for human trials in early December 2020. The vaccine is developed from the existing deactivated rabies vaccine as a vehicle for coronavirus proteins.
- Name the Indian state which has signed MoU with SIDBI and launched “Startup fund” to promoted young entrepreneurs.
1) Madhya Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) Tamil NaduAnswer- 3) Uttar Pradesh
The Government of Uttar Pradesh launched the ‘Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund’ to promote entrepreneurship among the youths of the state and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath termed the MoU between the state and Small Industries Development Bank of India(SIDBI).
- The subsidiary of which company has acquired 10% stake in Adjaristsqali Netherlands BV (ABV) from the International Finance Corporation?
1) JSW Energy
2) SJVN power
3) Reliance power
4) Tata power
5) NHPC ltdAnswer-4) Tata power
Tata Power announced that its subsidiary Tata Power International Pte Ltd(TPIPL) has acquired a 10% stake in Adjaristsqali Netherlands BV(ABV) from the International Finance Corporation(IFC) for USD 150,000 (about Rs 1.13 crore). The increase in stake has increased TPIPL’s shareholding in ABV to 50%.The agreement is signed among TPIPL, ABV, and the IFC. The acquisition is done as per the provisions of the shareholder agreement.
- Union HRD minister has launched Online Master’s Programme (to strengthen Bharat Padhe online) of which university in Hindi recently?
1) Banaras Hindu University
2) Indira Gandhi National Open University
3) Jawaharlal Nehru University
4) Lovely University
5) Calcutta UniversityAnswer-2) Indira Gandhi National Open University
Union HRD (Human Resource Development Minister) Shri Ramesh PokhriyalNishank launched IGNOU’S (Indira Gandhi National Open University) Online Programme for Master of Arts (MA) in Hindi, through facebook live session. The launch was done keeping in mind the prevailing situation and adherence to the partial-lockdown as per the Government’s directives.
- The researchers of which country has developed “heat resistant” coral to fight bleaching?
2) United Kingdom
3) South Korea
5) ChinaAnswer-4) Australia
A team of scientists of Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) and Australia’s national science agency, the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) and the University of Melbourne successfully discovered corals with increased heat tolerance which has potential to reduce the impacts of coral reef bleaching due to climatic change. The research was funded by the CSIRO, Paul G. Allen Family Foundation (USA), AIMS and the University of Melbourne.
- Union HRD Minister released three handbooks on measures taken by the Board to adopt value-based global standards of education. Who prepared the handbooks?
1) National Board of Accreditation
2) National Book Trust
3) Educational Consultants (India) Limited
4) National Council of Educational Research and Training
5) Central Board of Secondary EducationAnswer-5) Central Board of Secondary Education
Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal‘Nishank’ released three handbooks through video conferencing in New Delhi. The 3 handbooks were prepared by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on measures taken by the Board to adopt value-based global standards of education.
- When was the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development observed annually?
1) May 25
2) May 23
3) May 19
4) May 17
5) May 21Answer-5) May 21
World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is celebrated every year on May 21 globally. The day celebrates not only the richness of the world’s cultures, but also the essential role of intercultural dialogue for achieving peace and sustainable development.
- The International tea day was observed every year on ______.
1) 21st may
2) 22nd may
3) 23rd may
4) 24th may
5) 25th mayAnswer-1) 21st may
The International Tea Day is annually celebrated by tea-growing countries like India and Sri Lanka since 2005 and in December 2019, the United Nation approved the proposal to celebrate the International Tea Day put forth by the Government of India in the session of the Intergovernmental Group on Tea and designated May 21st as International Tea Day.
- National Anti-Terrorism Day is observed every year on May 21. The day commemorates the death anniversary of whom?
1) Vallabhbhai Patel
2) Jawaharlal Nehru
3) APJ Abdul Kalam
4) Indira Gandhi
5) Rajiv GandhiAnswer-5) Rajiv Gandhi
National Anti-Terrorism Day is observed every year on May 21 in order to raise awareness amongst people that terrorism has no religion, also to spread the message of peace, harmony, and brotherhood. The day commemorates the death anniversary of former India’s youngest Prime Minister (PM) Rajiv Gandhi. He served the nation from 1984 to 1989.
- Cyclone Amphan has landfall between Digha in West Bengal and Hatiya island in Bangladesh recently. Name the country which proposed the name Amphan?
5) OmenAnswer-3) Thailand
A powerful super-cyclone Amphan, making landfall at 2.30 p.m. between Digha in West Bengal and andHatiya island in Bangladesh with winds of about 120mph (190km/h), has killed at least 22 people and destroying thousands of homes.”Amphan”, pronounced as “Um-pun”, means sky. The name was given by Thailand in 2004, years ago.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is ‘S’ in SGL denotes?
5) SavingsAnswer-2) Subsidiary
Public sector lender UCO Bank has imposed a penalty of Rs 5 lakh for violating norms on government bond holding. The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a penalty of Rs 5 lakh on UCO Bank for bouncing of SGL forms, the bank said in a regulatory filing. A subsidiary general ledger (SGL) account is maintained with the RBI for holding government securities and treasury bills in paperless form. The account is used for facilitating delivery and payment trades.
- Where is DihingPatkai Elephant Reserve located?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
4) Himachal Pradesh
5) AssamAnswer-5) Assam
DehingPatkai Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the Dibrugarh and Tinsukia Districts of Assam and covers an area of 111.19 km² rainforest. It is part of the Assam valley tropical wet evergreen forest and consists of three parts: Jeypore, upper Dihing River and Dirok rainforest.
- Who is the DG of Indian Meteorological Department (IMD)?
1) Mrutyunjay Mohapatra
2) Rahul Chaudhry
3) T. Muralidharan
4) Atul Sahai
5) Irfan RazackAnswer-1) Mrutyunjay Mohapatra
Indian Meteorological Department (IMD): Director General- Mrutyunjay Mohapatra
- Where is the Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport located at?
5) ChennaiAnswer-3) Lucknow
Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport is an international airport serving Lucknow, the capital of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Where is the HQ of Tea Board of India located?
5) KolkataAnswer-5) Kolkata
The Tea Board of India is a state agency of the Government of India established to promote the cultivation, processing, and domestic trade as well as export of tea from India. It was established by the enactment of the Tea Act in 1953 with its headquarters in Kolkata (formerly Calcutta).