AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 22 & 23 November 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Which Company sealed the contract to build 87.569 Kms of India’s first high-speed rail corridor or Bullet Train Project -‘Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR)’ from the National High-Speed Rail Corporation (NHSRCL)?
1) Bombardier Transportation
2) L&T (Larsen & Toubro)
3) Royal Track
4) Ircon International Ltd
5) Balaji Railroad Syestem Ltd
Answer-2) L&T (Larsen & Toubro)
The Transportation Infrastructure business of L&T (Larsen & Toubro) Construction, the construction arm of L&T secured the contract to build 87.569 Kms of India’s first high-speed rail corridor or Bullet Train Project -‘Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR)’ from the National High-Speed Rail Corporation (NHSRCL). The project is valued more than INR 7, 000 Crores. The order includes the construction of viaducts, one station, major river bridges, maintenance depots, and other auxiliary works. This particular package represents only 17.2 % of the total length of the project. The MAHSR is 508 kms long and will cover 155.76 kms in Maharashtra, 4.3 in the Union Territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and 348.04 Kms in Gujarat. The High-Speed Rail will operate at a speed of 320 Kmph and will cover the 508 kms in 2 hours with limited stops and 3 hours with all stops.
- The solar capacity of India has decreased to what % in Q2FY21 in comparison with the same period in 2019 according to the report by Mercom Communications India?
In accordance with the report by Mercom Communications India, the solar capacity of India was decreased in Q2FY21 as it added just 438 megawatt (MW) solar capacity, a down of 80% from 2,177 MW the same period in 2019. As of September 30, 2020, India’s total solar installed capacity was at 37.4 Gigawatt (GW). The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has proposed “Development of Wind Parks/Wind-Solar Hybrid Park” scheme with proper infrastructure including evacuation facilities in place. It aims to address the issues faced by renewable energy projects, in particular wind energy projects.
- How many (approx) lamps were lit during Ayodhya Deepotsav 2020, was world’s largest display of oil lamps according to Guinness World Records?
1) 6 lakh
2) 20 lakh
3) 15 lakh
4) 5 lakh
5) 4.5 lakh
Answer-1) 6 lakh
6,06,569 lamps were lit during Ayodhya Deepotsav 2020, was world’s largest display of oil lamps. According to Guinness World Records, 606,569 lamps were lit as part of Deepotsav celebrations on the occasion of Diwali in Ayodhya, which is the largest display of oil lamps.
- Which Country has destroyed mock ICBM with Ship-Launched Raytheon SM-3 Block IIA for the first time?
1) United States
Answer-1) United States
The Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) System-equipped Navy destroyer, United States Ship (USS) John Finn launched a Raytheon Standard Missile (SM)-3 Block IIA to successfully shot down a mock intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) target for the first time during a missile defense test by Pentagon, the US Department of Defense. The missile test was conducted in an area of Open Ocean near Hawaii, United States (US) while the unarmed target ICBM was launched from the Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site on the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. The USS John Finn collected tracking data from the Command and Control Battle Management and Communications network to destroy the target missile.
- India became the 4th Country in the world to have its independent regional navigation satellite (The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) (operational name NavIC –Navigation with Indian Constellation)) recognised by International Maritime Organization (IMO)? IRNSS is developed by ________.
1) ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization)
2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration
3) Defence Research and Development Organization
4) New India Space Limited
5) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
Answer-1) ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization)
The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) (operational name NavIC –Navigation with Indian Constellation) has been accepted as a component of the World Wide Radio Navigation System (WWRNS) for operation in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) by the International Maritime Organization (IMO). India became the Fourth Country in the world to have its independent regional navigation satellite recognised by IMO. The Other three countries are the United States (US), Russia and China. The Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) of IMO approved the recognition of IRNSS as a component of the WWRNS during its meeting (102nd session) held from November 4-11, 2020. IRNSS was developed by ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization). The Government of India approved the project in May, 2006.
- Six organizations including UNICEF India, partnered to strengthen POSHAN Abhiyaan. POSHAN Abhiyaan is under which ministry?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Health & Family welfare
3) Ministry of Women & Child Development
4) Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
5) Ministry of Consumers Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
Answer-3) Ministry of Women & Child Development
International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO), UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) India, Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI), Pregnancy and Obesity Nutrition Initiative (PONI), Alive & Thrive, Nutrition International and ARTIST for Her (Asian Research & Training Institute for Skill Transfer) have partnered to strengthen the implementation of the POSHAN (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition) Abhiyaan. POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission) is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD), Government of India, which ensures convergence with various programmes i.e., Anganwadi Services, Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), Scheme for Adolescent Girls (SAG).
- Which Ministry launched a campaign for Diwali- “Local4Diwali”?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Textiles
3) Minister of Commerce and Industry
4) Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
5) Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprise
Answer-2) Ministry of Textiles
The Union Ministry of Textiles has launched a campaign for Diwali- “Local4Diwali”. The campaign has been launched to promote the Indian handicraft which is the cultural heritage of the country and also a source of livelihood for many.
- Which Financial Institution has approved a $50 million (about Rs 370 crore) policy-based loan to help boost West Bengal’s Digital Platforms for Public Finance Reforms?
1) World Bank
2) Asian Development Bank
3) European Development bank
4) New Development Bank
5) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
Answer-2) Asian Development Bank
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved a $50 million (about Rs 370 crore) policy-based loan to help boost West Bengal’s Digital Platforms for Public Finance Reforms.
To improve operational efficiencies and resource planning and management in West Bengal. To integrate the financial and information systems and expand the automation reforms in the state govt’s operation, which is expected to strengthen the delivery of public services and generate fiscal savings.
- What is India’s GDP forecast for the Fiscal 2020 (April 2020-March 2021) according to The Moody’s Investors Service (November 2020)?
1) -9.6% (contract by 9.6%)
2) -10.6% (contract by 10.6%)
3) -11.6% (contract by 11.6%)
4) -8.9% (contract by 8.9%)
5) -11.2% (contract by 11.2%)
Answer-2) -10.6% (contract by 10.6%)
The Moody’s Investors Service has revised upwards the India’s GDP (Gross Domestic Product) for the Fiscal 2020 (April 2020-March 2021) to -10.6% (contract by 10.6%) from -11.5% projected earlier. The upward revision is due to the latest stimulus prioritizes manufacture and job creation, and changes the focus to longer-term growth.
It has also projected India’s GDP growth for fiscal 2021-22 at 10.8%, against the previous estimate of 10.6%. The medium term growth is expected to be around 6%.
- Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG) signed MoUs with 8 leading oil & gas marketing companies & technology providers to set up 900 Compressed Bio-Gas (CBG) plants with an outlay of Rs 30,000 Cr across India under the SATAT initiative. Expand the SATAT.
1) Supportive Alternative towards Affordable Transportation
2) Sustainable Alternative towards Alternative Transportation
3) Sustainable Alternative to Affordable Transportation
4) Sustainable Alternative towards Affordable Transportation
5) Sustainable Alternative towards Affordable Transition
Answer-4) Sustainable Alternative towards Affordable Transportation
Union Minister Dharmendra Debendra Pradhan, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG) signed Memoranda of Understandings (MoUs) with 8 leading oil & gas marketing companies & technology providers to set up 900 Compressed Bio-Gas (CBG) plants with an outlay of Rs 30,000 Cr across India under the Sustainable Alternative towards Affordable Transportation (SATAT) initiative. The MoUs were inked with 4 Companies viz. JBM Group, Adani Gas, Torrent Gas and Petronet LNG for setting up of Compressed Bio-Gas (CBG) plants, and with 4 technology providers in CBG sectors- IndianOil, Praj Industries, CEID Consultants & Bharat Biogas Energy for facilitating availability of technology for the projects. Notably, in September 2020, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) included CBG in priority sector lending framework as biofuels can reduce India’s fuel import bill by Rs. 1 lakh crore.
- Which global Financial Services Corporation partnered with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) entered into partnership under the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative (W-GDP) Initiative to launch Project Kirana?
4) American Express
5) CITI Group
Mastercard and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) entered into partnership under the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative (W-GDP) Initiative to launch Project Kirana. Project Kirana is a 2 year economic empowerment program for women that drives small business growth through digital financial inclusion. The programme will be implemented by DAI and ACCESS Development Services in the selected cities of Uttar Pradesh, including Lucknow, Kanpur and Varanasi.
- ATP, the governing body of the men’s professional tennis circuits has renewed its partnership with __________ for next 3 years (November 2020)?
Infosys and the ATP, the governing body of the men’s professional tennis circuits — the ATP Tour, the ATP Challenger Tour and the ATP Champions Tour — have announced the renewal of their partnership for another three years.
- Who has been elected as the External Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU)?
1) Rajiv Mehrishi
2) Girish Chandra (G.C.) Murmu
3) Manoj Sinha
4) Om Birla
5) N K Singh
Answer-2) Girish Chandra (G.C.) Murmu
Girish Chandra (G.C.) Murmu, 14th Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India elected as the External Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU) for 3 years. He will take charge of this position from the Supreme Audit Institution of Switzerland.
The election took place at the IPU’s virtual meeting of the 284th session.
- Who has won the Children’s Climate Prize 2020 under the 2020 Clear Air Category at the 5th edition of Children’s Climate Prize?
1) Khushi Chindaliya
2) Licypriya Kangujam
3) Vinisha Umashankar
4) Ridhima Pandey
5) Yamuna Menon
Answer-3) Vinisha Umashankar
Vinisha Umashankar (13 year old), 9th Grade school girl from Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu (TN), India won the Children’s Climate Prize 2020 under the 2020 Clear Air Category at the 5th edition of Children’s Climate Prize. She won the award for designing a solar ironing cart which uses solar panels to power a steam iron box instead of the conventional charcoal. Isabella Lövin, Swedish Minister for Environment and Climate and Deputy Prime Minister presented the award to Vinisha over a virtual event. The award consists of a diploma, medal and a cash award of 100000 Swedish Krona (SEK) (around Rs.8.64 lakh)
- The 12th Counter Terrorism Dialogue was held virtually between India and the _____________ (November 2020).
2) United States
4) European Union
5) African Union
Answer-4) European Union
The 12th Counter Terrorism Dialogue was held virtually between India and the European Union (EU). During the meeting both sides accepted to support each other in their fight against terrorism. The Dialogue was co-chaired by Mr Mahaveer Singhvi, Joint Secretary for Counter Terrorism, Ministry of External Affairs of India and Ms Joanneke Balfoort, Director for Security Policy, European External Action Service. Both EU & India discussed sanctions as a tool to combat terrorism. Discussions were held on the working arrangement between Europol and the Indian Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and EU law enforcement authorities to prevent and combat organised crime and terrorism.
- What is the rank of India’s Supercomputer – PARAM Siddhi-AI according to 56th Edition of the TOP500 project which ranks and details the 500 most powerful non-distributed computer systems in the world?
According to 56th Edition of the TOP500 project which ranks and details the 500 most powerful non-distributed computer systems in the world, India’s Supercomputer – PARAM Siddhi-AI – Ranked 62 in the list of most powerful non-distributed computer systems in the World. In a non-distributed computer system (co-located), all the components are in a single location. The Top500 project Rankings are published twice a year. Another Supercomputer, Pratyush – Ranked 77 featured in the Top 100 while “Mihir” – Ranked 145 featured in the list of Top 500 supercomputers in the list. Both Pratyush and Mihir are located at two Government Institutes.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the acquisition of retail and wholesale undertaking and logistics and warehousing undertaking of the Future Group by which of Reliance Companies?
1) Reliance Retail Ventures Limited (RRVL)
2) Reliance Retail and Fashion Lifestyle Limited (RRVL WOS)
3) Reliance Logistics Private Limited
4) Both 1 & 2
5) All 1, 2 & 3
Answer-4) Both 1 & 2
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the acquisition of retail and wholesale undertaking and logistics and warehousing undertaking of the Future Group by Reliance Retail Ventures Limited (RRVL) and Reliance Retail and Fashion Lifestyle Limited (RRVL WOS). The approval was given under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- Five Indian Banks acquired 6.67% stakes (representing 50,000 equity shares) each in the proposed financial tech firm, IBBIC Pvt Ltd. for Rs 5 lakhs. Which of the following is not one of those banks?
1) Indian Bank
2) Canara Bank
3) Axis Bank
4) Bank of Baroda
5) State Bank of India
Answer-5) State Bank of India
Indian Bank, Canara Bank, Axis Bank, South Indian Bank, Bank of Baroda (BoB) acquired 6.67% stakes (representing 50,000 equity shares) each in the proposed financial tech firm, IBBIC Pvt Ltd. for Rs 5 lakhs. The acquisition is to be completed by December 31, 2020. It is proposed to be incorporated as a financial technology (fintech) company. Objective is to provide a platform to explore, build and implement Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) solutions for the Indian financial services sector. The company name is subject to approval of the Registrar of Companies (RoC), Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Which edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy was conducted in Andaman Sea (November 2020)?
The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy was conducted in Andaman Sea close to the strategic Strait of Malacca. The Indian side was represented by Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette while the other side is represented by His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate along with Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies.
- Where did the phase 2 of the 24th Edition of the Four-nation Naval Exercise Malabar 2020 take place (November 17-20, 2020)?
1) Bay of Bengal
2) South China Sea
3) Arabian Sea
4) Indian Ocean
5) Andaman Sea
Answer-3) Arabian Sea
Phase 2 of the 24th Edition of the Four-nation Naval Exercise Malabar 2020 took place in the Arabian Sea from November 17-20, 2020. This is the First time since 2007 that all the QUAD (Quadrilateral Security Dialogue) Countries (India, United States, Japan, Australia) are participating in the Malabar Naval Exercise. The Phase-1 of the Four-Nation exercise took place in the Bay of Bengal from November 3-6, 2020. Both Phase-1 & Phase-2 of the exercise was restricted to sea phase and were conducted in “Zero Contact” format due to Pandemic. Australia is taking part in the exercise for the first time after 2007.
- Which Oil company has successfully conducted a ‘Proof of Concept’ feasibility study on ‘zero-emission electric mobility’?
1) Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL)
2) Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL)
3) Oil India Ltd (OIL)
4) Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL)
5) Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL)
Answer-4) Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL)
The Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL), through its company statement has notified that it successfully conducted a ‘Proof of Concept’ feasibility study on ‘zero-emission electric mobility’ at one of its fuel stations in Bengaluru, Karnataka. This study will help in promoting electric mobility in the country. In accordance with the study Zero-Emission Electric Mobility is a concept that allows the electric vehicle (EV) to charge using solar power and ensuring zero emissions. The other oil company, Oil India Limited (OIL) launched the Rs 220 crore seismic survey programme at Kakatpur in Puri District, Odisha in the Mahanadi Basin (Onland) as a part of the National Seismic Programme (NSP). This was launched to locate oil and gas in Indian sedimentary basins.
- Pfizer Inc & BioNTech Completed the COVID-19 Vaccine – “BNT162b2” Trial with 95% Success Rate. Pfizer Inc is a pharmaceutical company of which Country?
3) United States of America
Answer-3) United States of America
The Pfizer Inc of the United States of America (USA) and its partner BioNTech of Germany completed the Phase 3 trial of their COVID-19 vaccine candidate, BNT162b2 against SARS-CoV-2 with 95% effective, this highest success rate. Pfizer and BioNTech will submit an application to the United States Food and Drug Administration for Emergency Use Authorization and share the data of the trial with other regulatory bodies across the globe.
- Javier Mascherano (Argentina) announced his retirement. He belonged to which sport?
Former Barcelona and Argentina great Javier Mascherano announced his retirement from football on Sunday, drawing curtains on his illustrious career spanning 17 years.
- Who is the author of the book titled “Balochistan: Bruised, Battered and Bloodied” published by Bloomsbury India, set to be released in November 2020?
1) Roshaan Khattak
2) Francesca Marino
3) Hussain Haqqani
4) Sarbpreet Singh
5) Douglas Stuart
Answer-2) Francesca Marino
Italian Journalist Francesca Marino’s latest book titled “Balochistan: Bruised, Battered and Bloodied” Published by Bloomsbury India is set to be released in November 2020. The introduction of the book notes that the insurrection in Balochistan has become hostile in 2006 after the murder of Nawab Mohammad Akbar Shahbaz Khan bugti. The foreword of the book was written by Hussain Haqqani, former Pakistan Ambassador to the United States. The photographs in the book were taken by Roshaan Khattak.
- When the National Newborn Week 2020 was annually celebrated across India with the theme “Quality, Equity, Dignity for every newborn at every health facility and everywhere”?
1) 15th November to 21st November
2) 1st November to 7th November
3) 8th November to 14th November
4) 22nd November to 28th November
5) 29th November to 5th December
Answer-1) 15th November to 21st November
National Newborn Week is annually celebrated across India from 15th November to 21st November to increase the awareness on the importance of newborn care for the survival and development of the newborn. The National Newborn week, dedicated to promote the reduction of newborn mortality rate in India. This was conceptualised by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The theme of National Newborn Week 2020 is “Quality, Equity, Dignity for every newborn at every health facility and everywhere”. Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of health and family welfare, chaired the event to mark the National Newborn Week 2020 and released a detailed progress card on India Newborn Action Plan(INAP) (2014 – 2020) targets and roadmap plans.
- The United Nations (UN)’s World Television Day is observed across the globe on which day?
1) November 19
2) November 20
3) November 21
4) November 22
5) November 23
Answer-3) November 21
The United Nations (UN)’s World Television Day is annually observed across the globe on 21st November to recognise the increasing impacts of television on decision making and to focus on the issues like economic and social issues. The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/51/205 of 17th December 1996 and proclaimed the 21st November of every year as the World Television Day. The first terrestrial television in India was started in Delhi in 1959 at a makeshift studio.
- When the World Town Planning Day (WTPD) also known as World Urbanism Day is celebrated?
1) November 7
2) November 8
3) November 21
4) November 22
5) November 23
Answer-2) November 8
World Town Planning Day (WTPD) also known as World Urbanism Day is annually across the globe on 8th November to provide an opportunity to unite the planners and celebrate planning around the world. The ISOCARP – International Society of City and Regional Planners promotes the celebration of World Town Planning Day or World Urbanism Day.
- Which Insurance Company launched its First Digital App, ‘ANANDA’ (Atmanirbhar Agents New Business Digital App, a first of its kind in the Indian Life Insurance industry?
1) New India Assurance Co. Ltd (NIACL)
2) United India Insurance Co. Ltd (UIIC)
3) Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
4) Aviva Life Insurance
5) Bharti AXA Life Insurance
Answer-3) Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) launched its First Digital App, ‘ANANDA’ (Atmanirbhar Agents New Business Digital App). The digital tool supports the on boarding process to get Life Insurance policy with the help of the Agent / Intermediary without any paperwork. ANANDA is a first of its kind in the Indian Life Insurance industry with LIC pioneering the process through its in-house IT (Information Technology) enabled systems.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Atlantic Ocean’s largest protected marine reserve.
1) Watamu Marine National Park
2) Tristan da Cunha
3) USS Monitor
4) Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary
5) Point Calimere
Answer-2) Tristan da Cunha
The isolated UK Overseas Territory of Tristan da Cunha, which is home to the world’s most remote human settlement, declared the largest fully protected marine reserves in the Atlantic Ocean at 687,000 square kilometres. This will close over 90 percent of their waters to harmful activities such as bottom-trawling fishing, sand extraction and deep-sea mining.
- Rupsi Airport is located in which state?
Airports Authority of India (AAI) stated that Rupsi Airport at Kokrajhar district, Assam is ready to start commercial operation under the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) by January 2021. It is Assam’s 7th airport and Northeast’s 14th airport. It is a British-era airport that was originally constructed during World War-II to supply arms, manpower and ammunition to the Allied forces. The flight operations came to a halt in the 1980s. At an estimated cost of Rs 69 crore it has been re-developed.
- Where is the headquarters of ADB (Asian Development Bank) located?
1) Washington D.C, US
2) Manila, Philippines
3) New York City, US
4) Rome, Italy
5) Geneva, Switzerland
Answer-2) Manila, Philippines
The Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in the Ortigas Center located in the city of Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines. The company also maintains 31 field offices around the world to promote social and economic development in Asia.
- Kabartal Wetland also known as Kanwar Jheel is declared as a Ramsar site. Which state does it lie in?
3) Madhya Pradesh
5) Uttar Pradesh
Ramsar Convention declared Kabartal Wetland also known as Kanwar Jheel in Begusarai, Bihar as a site of international importance. Kabartal Wetland has been included in the ‘List of Wetlands of International Importance’ established by Article 2.1 of the convention. After designating Asan Conservation Reserve (ACR), Dehradun, Uttarakhand and Kabartal Wetland, Begusarai, Bihar, as Ramsar sites, the total number of Ramsar Sites in India is 39, the highest in South Asia.
- What is the Currency of Thailand?
The capital and currency of ‘Thailand’ is ‘Bangkok’ & ‘Thai baht’ respectively.