AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 21 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The Indian railways has operationalised 1st 12,000 hp electric made in India Locomotive named WAG12. Name the company which manufactured the locomotive (JV with France based Atlsom).
1) Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
2) Chittaranjan Locomotives Works
3) Diesel Locomotives Works
4) Madhepura Electric Locomotive Pvt. Ltd
5) Diesel-Loco Modernization WorksAnswer-4) Madhepura Electric Locomotive Pvt. Ltd
Indian Railways(IR) operationalised its 1st 12,000 horsepower(hp) electric made in India Locomotive(loco), WAG12(with Number 60027) from Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Station(Mughalsarai Junction), Uttar Pradesh to Shivpur. It is manufactured by Madhepura Electric Locomotive Pvt. Ltd.(MELPL) Factory, Bihar which is a joint venture between French giant Alstom(74% share) & IR(26% share).
- As per National Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (NRIDA), “Coir Geo textiles “has been got nod for rural road construction under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana ph III. NRIDAfunctions under which ministry?
1) Rural Development ministry
2) Home Affairs ministry
3) Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries ministry
4) Commerce and Industry ministry
5) Road Transport and Highways ministryAnswer-1) Rural Development ministry
According to the National Rural Infrastructure Development Agency under Union Ministry of Rural Development, Coir Geo textiles has been finally gets nod as a good material for rural road construction under the third phase of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, (PMGSY-III).
- Ministry of Labour & Employment had decided to reduce the Employees’ provident fund contributions to ____% from the existing 12% for three months till July 2020.
5) 11Answer-3) 10
In order to retain more money in the hands of the employer and the salary payer, Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India (GoI), had decided to reduce the Employees’ provident fund (EPF) contributions to 10% from the existing 12% for three months till July 2020.
- The administration in UT of Jammu and Kashmir issued a new set of rules “Jammu and Kashmir Grant of Domicile Certificate Rules 2020”. Who is the Lieutenant Governor of J&K?
1) Girish Chandra Murmu
2) Praful Patel
3) Anil Baijal
4) R. K. Mathur
5) Ramesh BaisAnswer-1) Girish Chandra Murmu
The administration in the Union Territory (UT) of Jammu and Kashmir issued a new set of rules named “Jammu and Kashmir Grant of Domicile Certificate Rules 2020” which defines the rules for issuing domicile certificates in the UT.About Jammu and Kashmir: Lieutenant Governor- Girish Chandra Murmu.
- In which district “Tatpar” program is launched to help the migrant workers to get back to their native places.
5) HyderabadAnswer-2) Ranchi
Ranchi district launched the “Tatpar” program to help the migrant workers to get back to their native places on bus instead of tiresome travel by foot. The administration launched a helpline “1950” to support the migrant workers in arranging buses.
- Mee Annapurna’ is the initiative launched for farmers welfare across which state?
5) MaharashtraAnswer-5) Maharashtra
After the Department of Agriculture, Govt of Maharashtra announced a 3-year empanelment of insurance companies and intermediaries for implementation of crop insurance scheme, the Integrated Risk Insurance Brokers Limited(IRIBL), announced ‘Mee Annapurna’ for farmers welfare across Maharashtra.
- Name the UT which has started an initiative ‘SUKOON’- COVID-19 Beat the Stress, in order to spread awareness about psychological impact of lockdown.
1) Jammu & Kashmir
5) Andaman & NicobarAnswer-1) Jammu & Kashmir
In Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), the Department of Information and Public Relations (DIPR) has started an initiative ‘SUKOON’- COVID-19 Beat the Stress, in order to spread awareness about psychological impact of lockdown and measures to be adopted to overcome them.
- Tensions escalate along LAC in Sikkim as China accuses India of trespass. What is ‘A’ in LAC stands for?
5) AngerAnswer-2) Actual
China has accused the Indian Army of crossing into its territory and of “blocking” its patrols and “attempting to unilaterally change the status” on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) between the two countries in Sikkim and Ladakh. As both sides increased troop strength at points of conflict along the LAC, sources indicated that military commanders were holding talks to defuse the situation.
- Name the initiative which was launched to provide psychological support through a website, a toll-free helpline to all school going children, parents and teachers.
5) ShikshaAnswer-1) Manodarpan
Manodarpan initiative is launched to provide such support through a website, a toll-free helpline, national directory of counselors and interactive chat platform among others so as to provide psychosocial support to students, teachers and families for mental health and emotional wellbeing. Beneficiaries– Will benefit all school going children in the country, along with their parents, teachers and the community of stakeholders in school education.
- Name the 1st bank in India to introduce video-KYC facility for Savings Account customers.
1) Axis Bank
2) YES Bank
3) Kotak Mahindra Bank
4) IndusInd Bank
5) ICICI BankAnswer-3) Kotak Mahindra Bank
In view of the ongoing lockdown in the country due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), Kotak Mahindra Bank has become the 1st bank in India to allow video Know your customer (KYC) facility for its customers opening savings account (SA) on Kotak 811 platform.
- Name the e-commerce company which has partnered with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance for digital motor insurance policy.
5) FlipkartAnswer-5) Flipkart
Flipkart partnered with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company to offer digital motor insurance policy to customers of e-commerce major. This enables consumers to purchase the motor-insurance policy using the Flipkart mobile application.
- The DGDE of which ministry has signed MoU with eGov Foundation to drive e-governance and improved citizen services across cantonment boards in the country.
1) Health and family welfare ministry
2) Defence ministry
3) Chemicals and Fertilizers ministry
4) Skill Development and Entrepreneurship ministry
5) Power ministryAnswer-2) Defence ministry
Directorate General Defence Estates(DGDE), Ministry of Defence & eGov Foundation has signed Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) on May 8 through video conference to implement a cloud-based platform to deliver various citizen services under the program e-Chhawani & to drive e-governance and improved citizen services across all 62 cantonment boards in the country.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the chairman of NABARD recently till July 2022.
1) P.V.S Suryakumar
2) Govinda Rajulu Chintala
3) Shaji K V
4) Harsh Kumar Bhanwala
5) Ajay TyagiAnswer-2) Govinda Rajulu Chintala
The appointments committee of the union cabinet appointed Govinda Rajulu Chintala as Chairman of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD). He was the successor of Harsh Kumar Bhanwala. Shaji K V and P.V.S Suryakumar have been appointed as Deputy Managing Directors (DMD) of NABARD.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the new president of Indian steel association.
1) Arnab Kumar Hazra
2) T V Narendran
3) Ravinder Kumar Bhan
4) Priya Relan
5) Dilip OommenAnswer-5) Dilip Oommen
Indian Steel Association unanimously appointed Dilip Oommen, CEO of ArcelorMittal Nippon Steel India as the new President for the next two years with immediate effect after T V Narendran,CEO of TATA Steel stepped down on May 1, before the end of his term in August. This was decided in the Extra Ordinary Boards Meeting of ISA held on May 19,2020.
- Moeketsi Majoro has been sworn in as Lesotho’s new Prime Minister. What is the capital of Lesotho?
4) San Marino
5) Vatican CityAnswer-3) Maseru
Moeketsi Majoro (58) has been sworn in as Lesotho’s new prime minister (PM) after Thomas Motsoahae Thabane, who has stepped down as prime minister following months of pressure after he was named as a suspect in the 2017 murder of his ex-wife Lipolelo.About Lesotho: Capital– Maseru.
- Savita Kumari and Ankit Shisodia who has been provisionally suspended by NADA is associated with which sports?
5) GymnasticAnswer-1) Powerlifting
The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) provisionally suspended powerlifters Savita Kumari and Ankit Shisodia for violating anti-doping rules. Athletes were given an opportunity to present themselves before the Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel (ADDP) and explain their cases on the date and time fixed by the panel for a hearing.
- The world bee day was annually celebrated on May 20. What is the theme for the day for the year 2020?
1) “Bee, the honey maker”
2) “Peace with Bee”
3) “Save the Bees”
4) “Bee Engaged”
5) “Let the bee live”Answer-4) “Bee Engaged”
The May 20th of every year is celebrated as the World Bee Day to commemorate the birth anniversary of Anton Jansa, the pioneer of beekeeping born in 1734 in Slovenia and to acknowledge the role of bees in the ecosystem. The United Nations (UN) approved the proposal of World Bee Day in December 2017 and the first World Bee Day celebrated on Sunday, May 20, 2018. The theme of world Bee Day 2020 is “Be Engaged”.
- The theme for world metrology day 2020 is “Measurements for global trade”. The day is observed annually on ______.
1) May 17
2) May 21
3) May 19
4) May 20
5) May 18Answer-4) May 20
World Metrology Day (WMD) is celebrated every year on May 20, celebrating the International Systems of Units. The term Metrology is a study of measurements. On this day, many nations internationally collaborate to create awareness about metrology and its advancement in the respective field. Theme for the year 2020: Measurements for global trade.
- Union HRD minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has launched ‘National Test Abhyas’ app for mock test of NEET and JEE. Who developed the app?
1) National Council of Educational Research and Training
2) National Testing Agency
4) Central Board of Secondary Education
5) National Informatics CentreAnswer-2) National Testing Agency
Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launched an Artificial Intelligence(AI)-powered mobile app called the ‘National Test Abhyas’. The app is developed by National Testing Agency(NTA) to enable candidates to take mock tests for upcoming exams such as Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) main, National Eligibility cum Entrance Test exam(NEET) under the NTA’s purview.
- As per the new guidelines the data collected by NICthrough Aarogya Setu app can be retained up to _________ days (at max).
5) 60Answer-4) 180
The contact, location and self-assessment data, collected by the National Informatics Centre (NIC), will not be retained beyond the period necessary to satisfy the purpose for which it is obtained. The period, unless a specific recommendation to this effect is made, will not ordinarily extend beyond 180 days (in Aarogya setu) from the date on which it is collected, after which it will be permanently deleted as per the new guidelines of government.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- ‘Hanko’ which is in news recently is a personal stamp used in documents in which country?
3) South Korea
5) JapanAnswer-5) Japan
In Japan, where the government has been fiercely engaged in tackling the novel coronavirus pandemic, a centuries-old ritual is sharing the blame for impeding social distancing efforts. The extensive and almost unavoidable use of the ‘hanko’– a personal seal generally made from wood or plastic. The hanko is a personal stamp that is equivalent to a signature in other countries, and is an essential part of several transactions. Small-sized and circular or square-shaped, the stamp is wet by an ink pad called ‘shuniku’, and the mark that it leaves on a document is called ‘inkan’.
- Who is the present union railway minister?
1) Prakash Javadekar
2) Harsh Vardhan
3) Nirmala Sitharaman
4) Piyush Goyal
5) Ravi Shankar PrasadAnswer-4) Piyush Goyal
Piyush Goyal is the current Minister of Railways in India.
- Where is the HQ of Kotak Mahindra Bank located?
2) New Delhi
5) MumbaiAnswer-5) Mumbai
The HQ of Kotak Mahindra bank is located at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- What is the currency of Lesotho?
5) PesoAnswer-1) Loti
The Capital and currency of Lesotho is Maseru &Lesotho loti respectively.
- Where is the HQ of National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) located?
2) New Delhi
5) MumbaiAnswer-2) New Delhi
The HQ of National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) located at New Delhi.