AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 21 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- According to the report of National Cancer Registry Programme 2020, cancer in India may rise from 13.9 Lakhs in 2020 to 15.7 lakhs in 2025. The report was released by which institute of ICMR?
1) National Institute of Research in Tribal Health
2) National Centre for Disease Informatics and Research
3) National AIDS Research Institute
4) National Institute of Epidemiology
5) National Institute of Pathology
Answer-2) National Centre for Disease Informatics and Research
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) – National Centre for Disease Informatics & Research (NCDIR), Bengaluru released a new Report of National Cancer Registry Programme 2020. The report estimates that cancer in India will rise by 25% in 2020 and may rise 12% from the 1392179 cases in 2020 to 1569793 cases in 2025 and tobacco related cancers are estimated to constitute around 27% of all cancers.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal to set up the National Recruitment Agency (NRA) recently. The NRA will be registered under which act?
1) Companies Act, 2013
2) Societies Registration Act, 1860
3) Public Trust Act, 1950
4) Credit Societies Act, 1904
5) None of the Above
Answer-2) Societies Registration Act, 1860
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal to set up the National Recruitment Agency (NRA) that will conduct a Common Eligibility Test (CET) for non-gazetted posts (Group B and C) of Staff Selection Commission (SSC), the Railway Recruitment Boards (RRBs) and the Institute of Banking Service Personnel (IBPS). Candidates who qualify CET can apply to any recruitment agencies for higher level of examination. Therefore, CET will be a first level test (preliminary) to shortlist candidates which will be held twice a year with score validity of three years. NRA will be a Society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- The cabinet has approved proposal for leasing out how many airports of AAI under private public partnership to Adani Enterprises (August 2020)?
The Central Government has approved the proposal for leasing out three airports namely Jaipur, Guwahati and Thiruvananthapuram airports of Airports Authority of India (AAI) under Public Private Partnership (PPP) to Adani Enterprises Ltd. for Operation, Management and Development Adani Enterprises Ltd. is declared as the successful bidder in a Global Competitive Bidding conducted by AAI, for a period of fifty years.
- Find the country which signed cultural agreement with India to strengthen the strategic bilateral relations through promoting the people to people exchange.
On 20th August 2020 India signed a cultural agreement with Israel, which outlines a three year programme of cooperation for 2020 to 2023, to strengthen the strategic bilateral relations through promoting the people to people exchange. This is one of a series of agreements which will be followed by the signing of a water agreement by our Ambassador in India.
- Name the organization which published the report titled, “Youth and COVID-19: Impacts on Jobs, Education, Rights and Mental Well-being”.
1) World Bank (WB)
2) International Labour Organization (ILO)
3) United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
4) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
5) United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Answer-2) International Labour Organization (ILO)
United Nations(UN)’s International Labour Organization (ILO) published the survey report titled “Youth and COVID-19: Impacts on Jobs, Education, Rights and Mental Well-being” which found that 50% of young people across the world are possibly subject to anxiety or depression and around 17% of them are already affected by it. and 38% of youths do not have a clear idea about the career or future.
- ‘Nai Udaan’ is the scheme launched by which ministry?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Finance
3) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
4) Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
5) Ministry of Minority Affairs
Answer-5) Ministry of Minority Affairs
Government of India, Ministry of Minority Affairs is implementing the scheme Nai Udaan- Scheme for Support to Minority Students for preparation of Main Examination, who clear Prelims conducted by Union Public Service Commission, Staff Selection Commission, State Public Service Commissions The objective of the Scheme is to provide financial support to the minority candidates clearing prelims conducted by Union Public Service Commission, Staff Selection Commission and State Public Service Commissions to adequately equip them to compete for appointment to Civil Services in the Union and the State Governments and to increase the representation of the minority in the Civil Services.
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched the subsidiary NPCI International Payments Limited (NIPL) recently. Who is the CEO of NIPL?
1) Ritesh Shukla
2) Dilip Asbe
3) Rajiv Kumar
4) Ajay Tyagi
5) Harsh Patel
Answer-1) Ritesh Shukla
The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched a wholly-owned subsidiary, NPCI International Payments Limited (NIPL) to internationalize (or export to foreign markets) NPCI’s indigenously developed offerings and technological acumen, i.e. real-time payment system, Unified Payments Interface (UPI) and card payment network, RuPay along with a few more offerings of NPCI. It is also responsible to co-create payment technologies with other countries. NPCI has appointed Ritesh Shukla as Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of NIPL.
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) has launched a contactless digital initiative ‘LAKSHMI digiGO’ recently. Where is the HQ of LVB located?
The Chennai headquartered Lakshmi Vilas Bank(LVB) has launched ‘LAKSHMI digiGO’, a contactless digital initiative that will enable customers to open a savings account instantly. This initiative will help people to avail the most required banking services instantly through the website on account of COVID-19 pandemic.
- Name the company which has received 75 Crore under Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)’s Fund of Funds for Start-ups initiative (August 2020).
1) Nexus Venture
2) Inventus Capital
3) Unitus Ventures
4) Accel Partners
5) Blume Ventures
Answer-3) Unitus Ventures
Unitus Ventures has received an investment of Rs 75 crore (USD 10 million) under Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)’s Fund of Funds for Start-ups initiative enabled by the Government of India. The fund will strengthen the deployment of its second Rs 300 crore fund, which was launched in 2018.
- Which organization signed MoU with Jute Corporation of India (JCI) to improve the production and productivity of raw Jute in the country?
1) National Seed Storage Laboratory
2) Indian Society of Seed Technology
3) Federation of Indian Seed Trade
4) National Seeds Corporation
5) None of the Above
Answer-4) National Seeds Corporation
National Seeds Corporation (NSC) and Jute Corporation of India (JCI) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to improve the production and productivity of raw Jute in the country. The MoU was signed virtually in the presence of Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar and Union Minister for Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani.
- Which IIT signed MoU with Bureau of India Standards to cooperate in standardization and conformity assessment?
1) IIT Mandi
2) IIT Roorkee
3) IIT Delhi
4) IIT Ropar
5) IIT Madras
Answer-2) IIT Roorkee
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee and Bureau of India Standards (BIS) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for collaboration in areas of Standardisation and Conformity Assessment based on equality and reciprocity.
- L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering signed MoU with which company to build a CO2 to methanol demonstration plant?
L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering (LTHE), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with power utility major NTPC Ltd (formerly known as National Thermal Power Corporation Limited), a Maharatna PSU. As per the MoU LTHE will be the engineering, procurement and construction management partner to build a carbon dioxide (CO2) to methanol demonstration plant in NTPC Power Station.
- National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) partnered with CSIR – National Aerospace Laboratories (CSIR-NAL) to establish an innovation cum incubation center. Where does CSIR-NAL located?
The National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) under the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research- National Aerospace Laboratories (CSIR-NAL), partnered to establish an innovation cum incubation center to promote the startup in the field of aerospace technologies. The CSIR-NAL located in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Who has been appointed as the prime minister of Trinidad and Tobago in August 2020?
1) Keith Rowley
2) Eric Williams
3) George Chambers
4) Basdeo Panday
5) Kamla Persad-Bissessar
Answer-1) Keith Rowley
Keith Rowley (Full name- Keith Christopher Rowley) sworn in as Prime Minister of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago for a 2nd consecutive 5-year term at the President’s House, following victory in general elections held on August 10, 2020. In addition to him, his new cabinet ministers were also sworn in. He is from the ruling People’s National Movement (PNM).
- Francisco Asue has been appointed as the prime minister of Equatorial Guinea recently. What is the capital of Equatorial Guinea?
5) None of the Above
Francisco Pascual Eyegue Obama Asue was reappointed as the Prime Minister of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea and He was sworn in at the People’s Palace in Malabo before President Teodoro Obiang on 18th August 2020. On 14th August 2020, The Asue government tendered the resignation to President Teodoro Obiang, following the criticism of the president. The capital and currency of Republic of Equatorial Guinea are Malabo and Central African CFA franc.
- What is India’s rank in Digital Quality of Life 2020 index released by SurfShark (Denmark tops the index)?
In accordance with the 2nd edition of global research “Digital Quality of Life (DQL) Index 2020” released by online privacy solutions provider SurfShark, India ranked 57th out of 85 countries in terms of overall category “Digital Quality of Life 2020” with 0.5 index points which has been topped by Denmark with 0.79 points.
Rank Country Digital Quality of Life 2020 57 India 1 Denmark 2 Sweden 3 Canada
- The first ever _______ rocket fully manufactured by the private sector company “Economic Explosives Ltd (EEL)” have been successfully test fired recently.
5) None of the Above
In a major boost for Make in India, the first ever Pinaka rockets fully manufactured by the private sector company “Economic Explosives Ltd (EEL)” have been successfully test fired by the army at a firing range in Pokhran, Rajasthan. Six Pinaka rockets were test fired as part of the final developmental trials and are the first munition of its kind made by the private sector in India. These rockets have been manufactured on the lines of the transfer of technology (ToT) agreement between Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and private sector, five years ago. With the entry of private sector, the single source dependency on Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) will be reduced.
- Which dwarf planet was given “Ocean World” status by researchers recently?
Researchers have given Dwarf Planet Ceres the status of an “Ocean World”. The scientists have analyzed the data collected by NASA’s Dawn Spacecraft and published the findings as a series of papers in the journals Nature Astronomy, Nature Communication and Nature Geoscience.
- Name the country which has unveiled the surface to surface ballistic missile Martyr Qassem Soleimani.
Iran (officially the Islamic Republic of Iran) has inaugurated a locally made surface-to-surface ballistic missile, called Martyr Qassem Soleimani, which has a range of 1,400 kilometers-km (870-mile) and a new cruise missile, called Martyr Abu Mahdi which has a range of over 1000 km(620-mile).
- Which space agency has observed South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA), a strange dent in Earth’s magnetic field over South America and the nearby Atlantic Ocean?
1) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
3) Centre national d’étudesspatiales (CNES)
4) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
5) China National Space Administration (CNSA)
Answer-2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) observes the South Atlantic Anomaly(SAA), a strange dent in Earth’s magnetic field over South America and the nearby Atlantic Ocean which was there for more than 10 years is growing and splitting this change in the magnetic field will affect the earth. The scientists of NASA in geomagnetic, geophysics, and heliophysics research groups observe and model the SAA to monitor and predict its future changes to help with the challenges in satellite missions and humans in space.
- The scientist of which country has developed the AUM (Air Unique-quality Monitoring) – for real-time remote monitoring of air quality parameters?
1) United States
World Health Organisation (WHO)’s reports show that the worsening state of poor air quality is responsible for more than 7.5 million fatalities worldwide annually. The scientists in India have developed an indigenous photonic system – AUM (Air Unique-quality Monitoring) – for real-time remote monitoring of air quality parameters. The system has been developed by the team (GVP-SIRC & GVP College of Engineering, Visakhapatnam; VIT University, Vellore) with the support from the Department of Science and Technology’s Clean Air Research Initiative. The system titled AUM (Air Unique-quality Monitoring) had CATS Eco-Systems, Nashik as the technology transfer partner for commercialization.
- Name the company which is going to sponsor team India for Tokyo Olympics.
Indian Olympic Association (IOA), a governing body for the Olympic Movement in India and INOX Group has signed a sponsorship agreement to support Team India for Tokyo Olympics, which was rescheduled to be held from July 23 to August 8, 2021.
- Who authored the book titled “India Tomorrow: Conversations with the Next Generation of Political Leaders”?
1) Pradeep Chhibber
2) Harsh Shah
3) Maya Ajmera
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 1) and 3)
Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
The book will give a snapshot of contemporary Indian politics through interviews with 20 of the country’s most prominent next-generation politicians. The book includes interviews of Politicians below the age of 50 years only and released in August, 2020. The book is written by American academicians Pradeep Chhibber and Harsh Shah and published by Oxford University Press (OUP).
- Bhaskar Maity who passed away in August 2020 is associated with which sport?
Former Indian Football Goalkeeper turned Coach, Bhaskar Maity passed away at the age of 67 due to massive stroke at a hospital in Navi Mumbai.
- Gopalaswamy Kasturirangan who passed away recently is related to which sport?
Former Cricketer, Administrator and Pitch Curator Gopalaswamy Iyenger Kasturirangan passed away at the age 89 due to heart attack at his Bengaluru Residence. He was born on 12th October 1930 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Sadbhavan Diwas was observed annually on August 20 to commemorate the birth anniversary of whom?
1) Narendra Modi
2) Rajiv Gandhi
3) Indira Gandhi
4) Manmohan Singh
5) VP Singh
Answer-2) Rajiv Gandhi
Every year 20th August is celebrated as the Sadbhavana Diwas which is also known as Communal Harmony Day, to commemorate the Birth Anniversary of former Prime Minister of India, Rajiv Gandhi. 20th August 2020, marks the 76th Birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi. He was known as the “Father of Information Technology and Telecom Revolution in India”. The Government of India posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award to Rajiv Gandhi in 1991.
- The world mosquito day was observed annually on ________.
1) 17th August
2) 15th August
3) 20th August
4) 31st August
5) 25th August
Answer-3) 20th August
The World Mosquito Day is observed on 20th August every year to raise awareness about the Causes and Prevention of Malaria and to commemorate the discovery made by British Doctor Sir Ronald Ross in 1897 that female Anopheles mosquitoes transmit Malaria between humans.
- The Microsoft Research Lab have developed an interactive neural machine translation (INMT) app that translates between Hindi and which language?
Joint efforts among local Indian organizations and Microsoft Research Lab have developed an interactive neural machine translation (INMT) app that translates between Hindi and Gondi.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- NTPC Kudgi Super thermal power station is located in which state?
NTPC Ltd, India’s largest power generation company, would be able to reduce the transportation cost of coal to fuel to its NTPC Kudgi Super thermal power station in Karnataka, to around Rs 200-500 per metric tonnes (MT) thereby bringing down the cost of electricity generation, the transit time will also be reduced by 8-15 hours.
- Kalapani valley is located in which state?
2) Madhya Pradesh
China has increased its troop deployment near Lipulekh, the place that became a trigger for strained relations between New Delhi and Kathmandu. Lipulekh is tri-junction between India, Nepal and China situated atop the Kalapani Valley in Uttarakhand.
- Lingaraj Temple which is in news recently is located in which state?
The Odisha government has decided to give a facelift to the 11th century Lingaraj Temple, akin to its pre-350-year structural status. This announcement has come despite the massive financial burden on the State economy in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic. The efforts will be to create a spiritual and ecological ambience in and around the Lingaraj Temple. The redevelopment plan of the peripheral area of the temple, known as ‘Ekamravan Kshetra’, in Bhubaneswar, has been approved. Further, the government is planning a barrier-free access between the Temple and Bindusagar lake.
- Where is the HQ of Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) located?
2) New Delhi
The HQ of Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) located at Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- What is the capital of Trinidad and Tobago?
3) Port of Spain
Answer-3) Port of Spain
The capital and currency of Trinidad and Tobago are Port of Spain & Trinidad and Tobago dollar respectively.