AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 20 August 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Who has launched “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge- Innovate Solutions for #Aatmanirbhar Bharat” to support start-ups?
1) Piyush Goyal
2) Raj Kumar Singh
3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
4) Giriraj Singh
5) Pralhad Joshi
Answer-3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
Ravi Shankar Prasad, Union Minister of Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology launched the “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge- Innovate Solutions for #Aatmanirbhar Bharat” to provide a strong ecosystem of startups, innovation and research in India. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras and Center for Development of Advance Computing (CDAC) have developed two microprocessors named SHAKTI (32 bit) and VEGA (64 bit) respectively using Open Source Architecture under the aegis of Microprocessor Development Programme of Ministry of Electronics and IT.
- Who launched the book titled, “Farm Livelihood Interventions under DAY-NRLM (Strategy, Convergence Framework, Models)”?
1) Pralhad Joshi
2) Shripad Yasso Naik
3) Hardeep Singh Puri
4) Narendra Singh Tomar
5) Prakash Javadekar
Answer-4) Narendra Singh Tomar
Union Minister of Rural Development and Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar addressed the State Rural Livelihoods Missions across the country through video conferencing. The meeting was also addressed by Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda and Union Minister of Food Processing Industries, Harsimrat Kaur Badal. Narendra Singh Tomar also released a book “Farm Livelihood Interventions under DAY-NRLM (Strategy, Convergence Framework, Models)”.
- According to the report titled, “Tackling the Covid-19 youth employment crisis in Asia and the Pacific”, around 4.1 million youths have lost jobs in India. Which organization released the report?
1) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) & World Bank (WB)
2) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) & International Monetary Fund (IMF)
3) International Labour Organization (ILO) & Asian Development Bank (ADB)
4) International Labour Organization (ILO) & World Bank (WB)
5) None of the Above
Answer-3) International Labour Organization (ILO) & Asian Development Bank (ADB)
The International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) released the joint report titled “Tackling the Covid-19 youth employment crisis in Asia and the Pacific”, which stated that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, around 41 lakh youths have lost their jobs in India.
- How much amount was approved by Asian Development Bank (ADB) for the for Delhi-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS)?
1) USD 2 billion
2) USD 1 billion
3) USD 750 3illion
4) USD 500 million
5) USD 5 billion
Answer-2) USD 1 billion
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 1 billion (about Rs 7,485 crore) loan to construct the modern, high-speed 82-kilometer Delhi – Meerut, Uttar Pradesh Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) in India, a first of its kind in India. The finance of the Delhi- Meerut RRTS project will be given in 4 tranches between August 2020 and May 2025. The NCR Transport Corporation (NCRTC) will execute the project.
- Which organization has released a draft framework for grant of recognition to an industry association as a Self-Regulatory Organization (SRO) for Payment System Operators?
1) Forward Market Commission of India
2) Reserve Bank of India
3) Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India
4) Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority
5) Securities and Exchange Board of India
Answer-2) Reserve Bank of India
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released a draft framework for grant of recognition to an industry association as a Self-Regulatory Organization (SRO) for Payment System Operators (PSOs). This draft framework is released on the lines of an announcement in the Statement on Developmental and Regulatory policies issued as part of the Monetary Policy statement dated February 6, 2020. The framework is placed for public comments till September 15, 2020. Notably, SRO will serve as a watchdog to guard against unprofessional practices within an industry or profession.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released the “Framework for authorization of Pan-India Umbrella Entity for Retail Payments” recently. What should be the minimum paid-up capital of umbrella entity?
1) 250 Cr
2) 100 Cr
3) 1000 Cr
4) 500 Cr
5) 750 Cr
Answer-4) 500 Cr
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released the “Framework for authorisation of Pan-India Umbrella Entity for Retail Payments” on the lines of the feedback received on the “draft framework for authorisation of a Pan-India New Umbrella Entity for Retail Payment Systems” which was placed on Reserve Bank’s website on February 10, 2020 for public comments. The Board for Regulation and Supervision of Payment and Settlement Systems (BPSS), will be the final authority to issue authorisation for setting up umbrella entity / entities for retail payments comprising of Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), White Label PoS (point of sale system), Aadhaar-based payments and remittance. The minimum paid-up capital of the umbrella entity should be Rs 500 crore. All entities eligible to apply as promoters of the umbrella entity should be owned and controlled by resident Indian citizens under the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA).
- Which insurance company has entered into Bancassurance agreement with SBM Bank India recently?
1) Future Generali India Life Insurance
2) Bharti AXA Life Insurance
3) Reliance Nippon Life Insurance
4) HDFC Standard Life Insurance
5) PNB MetLife India Insurance
Answer-2) Bharti AXA Life Insurance
Bharti AXA Life Insurance has entered into a bancassurance partnership with SBM Bank (India) Limited (SBM Bank India). Through this partnership, Bharti AXA Life Insurance will offer its entire suite of life insurance products, including protection, health, savings and investment plans, to the customers of SBM Private Wealth, the retail banking arm of SBM Bank India. It will benefit the people in the following cities-Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Ramachandrapuram.
- Which payments bank has launched an Aadhaar authentication based digital savings account ‘Jan Bachat Khata’?
1) Airtel Payments Bank
2) India Post Payments Bank
3) Paytm Payments Bank
4) Fino Payments Bank
5) Jio Payments Bank
Answer-4) Fino Payments Bank
Fino Payments Bank Limited(Ltd) launched Jan Bachat Khata (JBK), an Aadhaar authentication based digital savings account for its customers. JBK will bring neo-banking experience to the consumers. The primary target segment is low income household families and direct benefit transfer (DBT) beneficiaries. JBK is in line with the bank’s customer centric innovative offerings.
- Find the insurance company which has collaborated with BSE EBIX to sell General insurance products.
1) United India Insurance Company
2) The Oriental Insurance Company
3) The New India Assurance Company
4) Universal Sompo General Insurance Company
5) TATA AIG General Insurance Company
Answer-4) Universal Sompo General Insurance Company
Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Ltd has collaborated with BSE EBIX Insurance Broking Private Limited (BSE EBIX) to sell General Insurance products in a fully digital environment using the distribution network of BSE EBIX. The partnership was initiated with the issuance of the recently launched Corona Kavach cover of Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Ltd through certified Point of Sales Persons (PoSPs) of BSE EBIX.
- Edelweiss Tokio Life Insurance has partnered with which company for AI infrastructure?
3) Element AI
4) 10 Pearls
Answer-3) Element AI
Edelweiss Tokio Life Insurance Company Limited has partnered with Element AI, a global developer of AI (Artificial Intelligence)-powered solutions and products, to develop, design and implement a strategic AI roadmap for the new age insurer and prioritise their investments into AI.
- Find the private sector bank which in collaboration with KFin Technologies Private Limited launched a unique digital solution called ‘Loan against Securities’.
1) YES Bank
2) HDFC Bank
3) ICICI Bank
4) RBL Bank
5) IndusInd Bank
Answer-1) YES Bank
Yes Bank in partnership with KFin Technologies Private Limited has launched ‘Loan against Securities’, a unique digital solution that enables customers to lien mark their mutual funds digitally and avail quick and hassle-free loans. The digital solution is launched under YES BANK’s ‘Loan in Seconds’ platform, which allows the customers to set an instant credit limit against securities held.
- Which state/UT’s police has signed MoU with All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) for ‘Dhanwantari Rath’?
1) Tamil Nadu Police
2) Delhi Police
3) Uttar Pradesh Police
4) Gujarat Police
5) Maharashtra Police
Answer-2) Delhi Police
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) and Delhi Police for extending ayurvedic mode of preventive and promotive health services in the residential colonies of the Delhi Police through mobile units named ‘Dhanwantari Rath’. AYURAKSHA is a joint venture of AIIA & Delhi Police for maintaining the health of Delhi Police personnel who serve as frontline warriors during COVID-19 through Ayurveda immunity boosting measures.
- Which ministry has signed MoU with Rural development ministry to support the rural poor people?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Human Resource Development
3) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) Ministry of Coal
Answer-3) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
Union Minister of Rural Development and Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar addressed the State Rural Livelihoods Missions across the country through video conferencing. The meeting was also addressed by Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda and Union Minister of Food Processing Industries, Harsimrat Kaur Badal. During the occasion, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) and Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to take the convergence endeavor (efforts of both ministries) ahead and support rural poor including tribal communities.
- Name the sports federation which signed MoU with International Professional Scouting Organization to conduct scout workshops throughout India?
1) Billiards and Snooker Federation of India (BSFI)
2) Boxing Federation of India(BFI)
3) All India Football Federation(AIFF)
4) National Rifle Association of India(NRAI)
5) Archery Association of India (AAI)
Answer-3) All India Football Federation(AIFF)
All India Football Federation(AIFF) signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with International Professional Scouting Organization (IPSO) to conduct online Scouting Workshops throughout India.
- Luis Rodolfo Abinader has been sworn-in as the 54th president of Dominican Republic recently. What is the currency of Dominican Republic?
Luis Rodolfo Abinader Corona has been sworn in as the 54th President of Dominican Republic. Luis Rodolfo Abinader is a businessman who has never held any other elected office. He succeeds Danilo Medina of Liberation Party. The capital and currency of Dominican Republic are Santo Domingo & Dominican Peso respectively.
- Ashok Lavasa has resigned from the post of election commissioner of India recently. Who is the present chief election commissioner of India?
1) Sunil Arora
2) Nasim Zaidi
3) AK Jyoti
4) Om Prakash Rawat
5) None of the Above
Answer-1) Sunil Arora
Ashok Lavasa, one of the two Election Commissioners of India resigned from his post inorder to take charge as the Vice President of Asian Development Bank (ADB) next month. The current Chief Election Commissioner of India is Sunil Arora.
- Ibrahim Boubacar Keita has been resigned from the post of president of which country recently?
Mali President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita announced his resignation with immediate effect following a military mutiny in the Republic of Mali.
- The St Christopher School located in which state has won the first ever Pallikkutam national award for innovation in education instituted by Rajagiri Media?
1) West Bengal
St Christopher School in Chessore Village, Nagaland won the Gold Award along with cash prize of Rs.1 Lakh from the first ever Pallikkutam National Award for Innovation in Education instituted by Rajagiri Media. The awards were announced over a virtual meeting. The award was sponsored under the CSR initiative of the Federal Bank Ltd. The winners of the awards were chosen by an expert jury formed by the Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIM-K).
- Who has been awarded Star 2020 e-citation certification by world book of records, London?
1) Prabavathi R
2) Prashant Manohar Gaikwad
3) Kapil Sharma
4) Santosh Shukla
5) Ganesh Vilas Lengare
Answer-5) Ganesh Vilas Lengare
Solapur based activist Ganesh Vilas Lengare has been awarded Star 2020 E-citation Certification by World Book of Records, London. He has been awarded for his efforts to help the poor people during the lockdown caused by COVID-19.
- Which institute ranked top among the institute of national importance in Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2020 released by vice president Venkaiah Naidu?
1) IIT Bombay
2) IIT Delhi
3) IISc Bengaluru
4) IIT Madras
5) IIM Ahmedabad
Answer-4) IIT Madras
Vice-President of India, Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu, e-released the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2020 from New Delhi. He was the chief of the virtual ceremony while Union Minister of Education, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Minister of State (MoS) for Education Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre were the Guest of Honour. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras topped the category of Institute of National Importance while Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), Khordha (Odisha) topped the category of Private or Self-Financed Universities.
Rank Name State Institute of National Importance, Central Universities & CFTIS 1 Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras Chennai, Tamil Nadu 2 IIT Bombay Mumbai, Maharashtra 3 IIT Delhi New Delhi
- Which state/UT ranked top in best performing states in operationalization of Health and Wellness Centers (HWCs) released by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare?
State of Punjab has secured first rank in the list of best performing states in operationalisation of Health and Wellness Centers (HWCs) released by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare(MoHFW), Government of India.
- Reliance Retail Ventures has bought 100% direct ownership of which online pharmacy company recently?
Reliance Retail Ventures Ltd (RRVL), a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has acquired 60% equity stake in Vitalic Health Pvt Ltd(Vitalic) and 100% direct equity ownership of its subsidiaries namely Tresara Health Private Limited, Netmeds MarketPlace Limited and Dadha Pharma Distribution Pvt Limited (collectively known as Netmeds) for a cash consideration of around Rs 620 crore (USD 83.08 million). The deal values Netmeds around Rs 1,000 crore. RRVL’s investment is aligned with its commitment to provide digital access to everyone in India.
- Name the institute which has developed Ayurveda based Biodegradable Face Mask “Pavitrapati” and Anti-Microbial body suit named “Aushada Tara”.
1) Defence Research & Development Establishment (DRDE)
2) Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR)
3) Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT)
4) Defence Electronics Research Laboratory (DLRL)
5) Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR)
Answer-3) Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT)
Defence Institute of Advanced Technology(DIAT), Pune has developed Ayurvedic based Biodegradable Face Mask named “Pavitrapati” and Anti-Microbial Body Suit named “Aushada Tara”. Note: The Transfer of Technology (ToT) for this product was signed between DIAT and Kolhapur based Textile Company Siddheshwar Techtessile Pvt Ltd, Maharashtra for production on mass scale.
- Which zone of Indian railways has procured 2 Ninja Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) recently?
1) Central Railway
2) Northern Railway
3) Southern Railway
4) Eastern Railway
5) Western Railway
Answer-1) Central Railway
Indian Railways introduces Drone based surveillance technologies which has emerged as an important and cost effective tool for security surveillance over a large area with limited manpower. Central Railway’s Mumbai Division of the Indian Railways procured 2 Ninja Unmanned Aerial Vehicles(UAV) to increase the security and surveillance in the Railway premises like the station, tracks, yards and workshops.
- Which IIT has developed the e-classroom software named ‘DEEKSHAK’?
1) IIT Delhi
2) IIT Kharagpur
3) IIT Patna
4) IIT Ropar
5) IIT Madras
Answer-2) IIT Kharagpur
Researchers at IIT Kharagpur have developed an e-classroom software, DEEKSHAK. With COVID-19 lockdown and social distancing, educational institutions across the world have shifted to electronic mode. Meeting software platforms are being popularly used for online classes. But the users are frequently experiencing challenges with regard to security issues, and more importantly, the operational requirements of an electronic classroom which is significantly different from a corporate meeting.
- Under the aegis of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA), a Price Monitoring and Resource Unit was recently set up at which state?
2) Uttar Pradesh
A Price Monitoring and Resource Unit (PMRU) has been set up in Karnataka under the aegis of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA), Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India. PMRU will function at the State level under the direct supervision of the State Drug Controller for increasing outreach of NPPA. Till now National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) is headquartered at Delhi only and with the setting up of PMRUs in States/ UTs, NPPA shall have outreach at State Level as well.
- The astronomers from the European Southern Observatory (ESO) discovered the nearest black hole from the planet earth recently. The study was published in which journal?
1) New Astronomy
2) Journal Nature
3) Astronomy and Astrophysics
4) The Astrophysical Journal
5) Nature Astronomy
Answer-3) Astronomy and Astrophysics
Astronomers from the European Southern Observatory (ESO) discovered the nearest black hole from the planet Earth, reported the Universe today. It is located in the constellation of Telescopium (near the constellation of Sagittarius) just 1000 light-years away from the Earth, added the report. It is estimated that the black hole is at least 4.2 times the sun’s mass. The study revealing the details of the nearest black hole to the Earth has been published in Astronomy & Astrophysics. The astronomers are of the belief that a second mass like the one discovered now is on the horizon. Unlike every other black holes found till now, this black hole is easier to observe. The astronomers’ team first discovered this by tracking two companion stars in the system named HR 6819. The group of astronomers discovered the HR 6819 black hole by using the 2.2-meter MPG / ESO telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile.
- Who has authored the book titled, “Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump”?
1) Barack Obama
2) Francis Fukuyama
3) Carl Bernstein
4) Glenn Beck
5) Michael Cohen
Answer-5) Michael Cohen
Michael Cohen’s memoir about President Donald Trump titled “Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump” published by Skyhorse Publishing is set to release on 8th September 2020. Skyhorse describes “Disloyal” as a devastating business and political horror story of the century. On 13th August 2020, Cohen released the foreword of the book with the writing of his former boss.
- Nishikant Kamat who passed away in August 2020 is a renowned _______.
3) Music Director
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 1) and 3)
Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
Filmmaker-actor Nishikant Kamat passed away at the age of 50 due to multiple organ failure at the AIG Hospitals, Hyderabad. He was suffering from Liver Cirrhosis for the last two years. He won the National Award for Best Feature Film in Marathi for Dombivali Fast in 2006.
- United Nations’ World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is observed annually on August 19 since which year?
United Nations(UN) World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is annually observed on 19th August to pay tribute to honour all humanitarian workers and United Nations and associated personnel who dedicated their lives to help the people in extreme circumstances around the world and lost their lives in the cause of duty. The First WHD was observed on 19th August 2009. The 19th August 2020 marks the 11th World Humanitarian Day. The date 19th August was chosen in memory of the 19th August 2003 bombing in Canal Hotel, Baghdad, Iraq which killed 22 people including Sergio Vieira de Mello, Chief Humanitarian in Iraq.
- World Photography Day is observed annually on _______.
1) 19th August
2) 18th August
3) 15th August
4) 25th August
5) 29th August
Answer-1) 19th August
The World Photography Day also known as World Photo Day is observed annually on 19th August with an aim to inspire photographers across the globe to share a single photo with a purpose of sharing their world to the world. The day celebrates the arts, crafts, science and history of Photography. The first official World Photo Day was marked on 19th August 2010 when the first global online gallery was hosted with around 270 photographers who shared their photographs. The French Government purchased the patent and announced the invention of the Daguerreotype process as a gift “Free to the World” on 19th August 1839.
- Which animal was brought under exchange programme from south Africa that arrives at Mysuru zoo recently?
1) African Rat
2) African Elephant
3) African Cheetah
4) African Tiger
5) African Giraffe
Answer-3) African Cheetah
The century-old Mysuru zoo has become the second Indian zoo to house the African cheetah, the fastest land animal, as it managed to get a male and two females from a cheetah conservation centre in South Africa under an animal exchange programme. The big cats landed at the Bengaluru international airport on Monday and they were safely brought to the zoo here by a team from the zoo the same night. The cheetahs will remain in quarantine for 30 days under close observation. The zoo claimed it was the country’s first international animal exchange post-COVID-19.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- The Antananarivo is the capital city of which country?
5) South Africa
The first-ever flight from Antananarivo (capital of Madagascar) to Mumbai, Air Madagascar will be evacuating 61 Indians stranded due to COVID-19 pandemic and to bring back about 160 Malagasy citizens from India.
- Where is the HQ of Universal Sompo General Insurance Company located?
2) New Delhi
Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Ltd is a joint venture between Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Karnataka Bank, Dabur Investment Corp and Sompo Japan Insurance Inc. Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- What is the capital of Mali?
The capital and currency of Mali are Bamako and West African CFA franc respectively.
- Salal dam is built over which river?
An alert was issued by the Salal Power Station on 20th August ahead of the opening of dam gates, asking people to stay away from Chenab river banks as water levels were likely to rise and affect Jammu and Kashmir’s Reasi district.
- Who is the present Director General of International Labor Organization (ILO)?
1) Vladimir Norov
2) Zurab Pololikashvili
3) QU Dongyu
4) Tedros Adhanom
5) Guy Ryder
Answer-5) Guy Ryder
Guy Ryder is the present Director General of Geneva based International Labor Organization (ILO).