AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs Quiz 19 October 2023 to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2023 updates.
Our Current Affairs October 2023 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Current Affairs Quiz.
- According to the 15th annual Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index (MCGPI 2023) released in October 2023, India is ranked _______ out of 47 countries, while _________ tops the list.
1) 40th; Iceland
2) 45th; Netherlands
3) 43rd; Denmark
4) 45th; Iceland
5) 43rd; NetherlandsAnswer-2) 45th; Netherlands
According to the 15th annual Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index (MCGPI 2023), India is ranked 45th out of 47 countries. The overall index value of India increased from 44.5 in 2022 to 45.9 in 2023. India was ranked 41st out of 44 in 2022.
The 2023 Index is topped by the Netherlands with overall index value of 85.0, followed by Iceland (83.5) and Denmark (81.3).
With the lowest index value of 42.3, Argentina is ranked 47th in MCGPI 2023.
i. The MCGPI 2023 compares 47 retirement income systems across the globe and covers 64% of the world’s population.
ii. The Global Pension Index uses the weighted average of the sub-indices of adequacy, sustainability and integrity to measure each retirement system against more than 50 indicators.
- Name the company that has recently (in Oct ‘23) signed a contract with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) for the construction of one Training Ship for the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) at a cost of Rs 310 crore under the Buy Indian -Indigenously Designed Developed and Manufactured (IDDM) category.
1) Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers
2) Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
3) Hindustan Shipyard Limited
4) Goa Shipyard Limited
5) Cochin Shipyard LimitedAnswer-2) Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has signed a contract for the construction of one Training Ship for the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) with Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL), Mumbai(Maharashtra) at a cost of Rs 310 crore under the Buy Indian -Indigenously Designed Developed and Manufactured (IDDM) category in New Delhi, Delhi.
i. Facilities: This is the first ICG’s dedicated training platform with integral helicopter capabilities and modern high-tech surveillance and monitoring systems.
ii. Benefits: The training ship is set to provide basic sea training to 70 Coast Guard and other international under-trainee officers and prepare them for the multi-dimensional maritime aspects of Coast Guard life.
- According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)’s 1st first–ever global estimation of the impact of disasters on agricultural production report released in October 2023, the Global aggregate losses for the past 30 years (1991-2021) due to disaster events amounts to USD ____________.
1) 3.2 trillion
2) 2.6 trillion
3) 3.8 trillion
4) 4.0 trillion
5) 2.8 trillionAnswer-3) 3.8 trillion
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) released a report titled ‘The Impact of Disasters on Agriculture and Food Security 2023-Avoiding and reducing losses through investment in resilience‘ which is the first–ever global estimation of the impact of disasters on agricultural production focused on crops and livestock.
i. As per the report, the Global aggregate losses for the past 30 years (1991-2021) due to disasters events amounts to USD 3.8 trillion, corresponding to about USD 123 billion per year.
ii. This value is equivalent to 5% of global agricultural Gross Domestic Product (GDP), and nearly 300 million tonnes of accumulated losses per year, or the real GDP of Brazil in the year 2022.
The disaster events include floods, droughts, insect infestations, storms, disease and war.
The report has been prepared and jointly produced by the Statistics Division (ESS) and the Office of Emergencies and Resilience (OER) of FAO.
Between 1991-2021, lower and lower-middle-income countries lost 10% to 15% of their agricultural GDP due to disasters. Small Island Developing States (SIDS) lost nearly 7% of their agricultural GDP.
- Which organisation has recently (in Oct ‘23) approved a USD 181 million loan to build quality infrastructure and services toward improving urban livability and mobility in the peri-urban areas of Ahmedabad, Gujarat?
1) United Nations Development Programme
2) International Monetary Fund
3) World Bank
4) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
5) Asian Development BankAnswer-5) Asian Development Bank
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a loan worth USD 181 million to build quality infrastructure and services in the peri-urban areas of Ahmedabad, Gujarat to control urban sprawl.
i. Scenario in Ahmedabad:
Ahmedabad is expanding horizontally to adjoining areas (peri-urban areas) due to rapid industrial growth.
Since peri-urban areas are unplanned smaller urban local bodies (ULBs), it can’t accommodate the high population due to urbanisation.
Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority (AUDA) which is responsible for planning of those areas, identified five growth centers surrounding Ahmedabad city.
Ahmedabad Peri-urban Livability Improvement Project was created with an aim to provide basic infrastructure in these growth centres.
- In October 2023, ________________ became the first Russian bank to register with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) as a foreign portfolio investor (FPI) for a Category I FPI License.
3) Alfa Bank
4) VTB Bank
5) PromsvyazbankAnswer-2) Sberbank
Russian State-owned Sberbank has become the first Russian bank to register with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) as a foreign portfolio investor (FPI) for a Category I FPI license.
i. Foreign portfolio investment (FPI) involves an investor purchasing foreign financial assets to access equities, bonds, derivatives, mutual funds, and guaranteed investment certificates among others.
ii. Category I FPI license is only given to government or government related foreign investors or regulated entities such as banks, sovereign wealth funds, investments trusts, pension funds, asset management companies.
- In October 2023, Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) announced a plan to invest Rs ____________ as equity in IndianOil NTPC Green Energy Pvt Ltd for setting up renewable power plants.
1) 1,660.15 crore
2) 3,789.28 crore
3) 2,589.34 crore
4) 1,986.80 crore
5) 4,765.01 croreAnswer-1) 1,660.15 crore
Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), a state-owned Maharatna company, is set to invest Rs 1,660.15 crore as equity in IndianOil NTPC Green Energy Pvt Ltd for setting up renewable power plants.
i. IndianOil NTPC Green Energy Pvt Ltd is a joint venture (JV) company with a 50:50 share between IOCL and NTPC Green Energy Ltd, (a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTPC Limited) formed in June 2023.
ii. The new JV was formed to set up renewable energy projects (Solar photovoltaics (PV) wind, any other renewable energy, energy storage, or any combination of the same) with a minimum generation of 650 megawatt (MW), to meet 24X7 power requirements of refineries of the IOCL.
- Name the actor who will receive the Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award at the 54th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa in November 2023.
1) Bernardo Bertolucci
2) Martin Scorsese
3) Wong Kar-wai
4) Michael Douglas
5) Krzysztof ZanussiAnswer- 4) Michael Douglas
American actor and producer Michael Douglas will be honoured with the Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award at the 54th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) to be held in Goa from 20th to 28th November, 2023.
i. The announcement was made by Union Minister Anurag Singh Thakur, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB).
He has received several awards including 2 Academy Awards(Oscars) and a Primetime Emmy Award.
He won the Academy Award 1988 and a Golden Globe 1988 for his role in Wall Street.
As the producer of the movie ‘One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest’, he won Academy Award 1975.
He won The Emmy Award: Outstanding Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie for ‘Behind the Candelabra’ in 2013.
Note- The Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to individuals for their outstanding contribution to the growth and development of World cinema. It was instituted in 1999 at the 30th IFFI which was held in Hyderabad (Telangana).
- Name the personality from India who has been recently (in Oct ‘23) appointed as the next Ambassador/Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations (UN).
1) Saurabh Kumar
2) Arindam Bagchi
3) Sanjay Verma
4) Ausaf Sayeed
5) Vinay KwatraAnswer-2) Arindam Bagchi
Arindam Bagchi, Additional Secretary [External Publicity(XP)] and Spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has been appointed the next Ambassador/Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations (UN) and other international organisations in Geneva, Switzerland.
i. Arindam Bagchi is set to take over the post from Indra Mani Pandey, the incumbent Indian envoy to the UN in Geneva. Pandey has been holding the position since September 2020. and is now set to return to New Delhi, Delhi after a three-year term.
ii. Earlier, he served as Ambassador to Croatia from 2018 to 2020 and Deputy High Commissioner to Sri Lanka.
- When was the United Nations (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2023 observed across the globe?
1) 15th October 2023
2) 17th October 2023
3) 14th October 2023
4) 16th October 2023
5) 13th October 2023Answer-2) 17th October 2023
The United Nations (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, also known as End Poverty Day, 2023 was observed across the globe on 17th October 2023 with the theme of “Decent Work and Social Protection: Putting Dignity in Practice for All”.
i. The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was first observed as World Day for Overcoming Extreme Poverty on 17 October 1987.
ii. UN’s International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was first observed on 17th October 1993.
- When was World Trauma Day 2023 observed across the globe with the theme of ‘Embracing Resilience, Overcoming Trauma’s Impact’?
1) 16th October 2023
2) 18th October 2023
3) 15th October 2023
4) 17th October 2023
5) 14th October 2023Answer-4) 17th October 2023
World Trauma Day 2023 was observed across the globe on 17th October 2023 with the theme of ‘Embracing Resilience, Overcoming Trauma’s Impact’.
i. 17th October 2023 marks 13th World Trauma Day.
ii. World Trauma Day is a part of Bone and Joint Action Week which is annually observed from October 12 to October 20.