AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 19 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Central government has announced to raise the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) limit in defence manufacturing under automatic route from 49% to _______%.
5) 81Answer-4) 74
Centre will notify a list of weapons/platforms for ban on import with year wise timelines for boosting defence production in India, as a part of Make in India initiative. There will be indigenisation of imported spares, and separate budget provisioning for domestic capital procurement. This will help reduce huge Defence import bill. Foreign Direct Investment limit in defence manufacturing under automatic route is being raised from 49% to 74%. Corporatisation of Ordnance factory board (OFB) was also announced. To ensure time-bound defence procurement, centre will set up a Project Management Unit (PMU) to support contract management.
- What is the additional fund allocated for MGNREGA to provide employment boost in the country?
1) 30,000 cr
2) 40,000 cr
3) 10,000 cr
4) 25,000 cr
5) 50,000 crAnswer-2) 40,000 cr
Under the MGNREGA scheme, an additional Rs 40,000 crore will be allocated for employment generation in the rural parts of the country. This will help to generate nearly 300 crore person days to provide relief to the migrant workers.
- Name the programme which was launched for online education (1 to 12) announced under “Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan”.
1) PM e-Suraksha
2) PM e-Abhiyan
3) PM e-Vidhya
4) PM e-Kalyan
5) PM e-SamudraAnswer-3) PM e-Vidhya
A programme named “PM eVIDYA” is to be launched immediately. It is a multi-mode access to online education consisting of: DIKSHA for school education in states/UTs: e-content and QR coded Energized Textbooks for all grades (one nation, one digital platform) One earmarked TV channel per class from 1 to 12 (one class, one channel) Extensive use of Radio, Community radio and Podcasts Special e-content for visually and hearing impaired. Top 100 universities will be permitted to automatically start online courses by 30th May, 2020.
- In which state the first of its kind of initiative, Charan Paduka campaign started to provide shoes or slippers for the migrant labourers passing through the state?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Uttar Pradesh
5) OdishaAnswer-1) Madhya Pradesh
In Madhya Pradesh, in a first of its kind of initiative, Charan Paduka campaign has been started for the migrant labourers passing through the state. Under this campaign, the migrant labourers going barefoot are being providing shoes and slippers to reduce their pain.
- Name the state which has launched the first cyber security accelerator for start-ups in India.
1) Tamil Nadu
3) Andhra Pradesh
5) KarnatakaAnswer-5) Karnataka
Karnataka’s Centre of Excellence on Cyber Security (CySecK) launched the first cyber security accelerator for start-ups in India, Hack is an Accelerator for Cyber Security in Karnataka (H.A.C.K) inaugurated on 16th May 2020 by Additional Chief Secretary in Charge of Department of IT, BT and S&T, EV Ramana Reddy.
- The Gujarat government has made digital payment mandatary in which city?
5) PorbandarAnswer-4) Ahmedabad
Preventing the spread of Covid-19 through currency notes, Gujarat govt has mandated digital payment for all home delivery services in the worst-hit city of Ahmedabad and also issued protocol to be followed by the delivery persons.
- Name the country which has developed “i-Feel you”, an intelligent bracelet which will help users respect social distancing rules.
5) ChinaAnswer-1) Italy
The Genoa-based Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) has developed “i-Feel you”, an intelligent bracelet which will help users respect social distancing rules. The technology was launched at a video conference which involved the participation of Liguria governor Giovanni Toti and IIT President Giorgia Metta.
- The Canara bank has launched a special business vertical dedicated for gold loans to meet the financial needs of its customers recently. Who is the MD&CEO of Canara bank?
1) T.N. Manoharan
2) L.V. Prabhakar
3) S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao
4) Padmaja Chunduru
5) Rajnish KumarAnswer-2) L.V. Prabhakar
Canara Bank has launched a special business vertical dedicated for gold loans to meet the financial needs of its customers as they are in need of immediate credit support to meet their emergency needs due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Canara bank Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer(CEO)– L.V. Prabhakar.
- Benjamin Netanyahu has been sworn as the Prime Minister for the 5th time for which country?
5) IsraelAnswer-5) Israel
Benjamin Netanyahu has been sworn as the Israel Prime Minister (PM) for the 5th time after signing of power-sharing deal with rival-turned-partner Benny Gantz of Blue and White Party. He will now chair the post until 13 November 2021.
- Name the company which has bought 1.34% of stake in Jio platforms for Rs 6,598.38 recently in May 2020.
3) General Atlantic
5) SinopecAnswer-3) General Atlantic
Reliance Industries Limited(RIL) announced the sale of 1.34% stake in its digital services subsidiary, Jio Platforms to global Private Equity (PE) firm General Atlantic for Rs 6,598.38 crores, to accelerate consumer business and cut debt.
- Name the body/organisation which has developed an online dashboard National Migrant Information System (NMIS) to track movements of migrants.
1) National Biodiversity Authority
2) Airports Authority of India
3) Electronics and Computer Software Export Promotion Council
4) National Disaster Management Authority
5) Migrant Labour CouncilAnswer-4) National Disaster Management Authority
The National Disaster Management Authority(NDMA) developed an online dashboard National Migrant Information System(NMIS) on the existing NDMA-Geographical Information System(GIS) portal to capture the information regarding movement of migrants and facilitate the smooth movement of stranded persons across states.
- The CSIR – Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI) has developed two mobile indoor disinfection sprayers named BPDS and POMID to combat COVID-19. Where is CMERI located?
5) DhanbadAnswer-2) Durgapur
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-CMERI), Durgapur, West Bengal has developed two mobile indoor disinfection sprayer units Battery Powered Disinfectant Sprayer (BPDS) and Pneumatically Operated Mobile Indoor Disinfection (POMID) for cleaning and disinfecting pathogenic micro-organism.
- International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI) along with which other institute has jointly developed new generation Fe-Mn based alloys for biodegradable metal implants.
1) S.N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
2) Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology
3) Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
4) Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology
5) Institute for Advanced Studies in Science TechnologyAnswer-2) Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology
The Autonomous institutes under the Department of Science & Technology(DST) namely The International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials(ARCI) and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and technology(SCTIMST) have jointly developed new generation Iron-Manganese(Fe-Mn) based alloys for biodegradable metal implants for use in humans.
- The International Museum Day (IMD) was observed annually on May 18. What is the theme for IMD 2020?
1) “Museums as Cultural Hubs: The future of tradition”
2) “Hyperconnected museums: New approaches, new publics”
3) “Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion”
4) “Museums and Cultural Landscapes”
5) “Museums and contested histories: Saying the unspeakable in museums”Answer-3) “Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion”
International Museum Day (IMD) is celebrated every year on May 18 globally, to create awareness on the importance of museums for the development of society. The day is organized by the International Council of Museums (ICOM) and has been celebrated since 1977. Theme for the year 2020: “Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion”.
- When was the world AIDS vaccine day 2020 observed?
1) May 15
2) May 18
3) May 12
4) May 21
5) May 24Answer-2) May 18
May 18, 2020, World AIDS Vaccine Day (or HIV Vaccine Awareness Day) has been celebrated all over the world to recognize and acknowledge the hard work of the thousands of health professionals, volunteers, members of the medical field and scientists who have been working together for so many years to make HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) / AIDS (Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) vaccine.
- The theme of World Hypertension Day 2020 is “Measure Your Blood Pressure, Control It, Live Longer”. When was the day observed annually?
1) 17th May
2) 1st June
3) 19th May
4) 30th April
5) 5th MayAnswer-1) 17th May
World Hypertension Day is annually observed on 17th May to create awareness and educate people to prevent and control the Hypertension. This day was initiated by the World hypertension League (WHL) an affiliated section of the International Society of Hypertension(ISH) in May 2005.The theme of World Hypertension Day 2020 is “Measure Your Blood Pressure, Control It, Live Longer”.
- World Telecommunications and Information Society Day is celebrated every year on May 17. Where is International Telecommunication Union (ITU) located?
5) LondonAnswer-4) Geneva
World Telecommunications and Information Society Day (WTISD) is celebrated every year on May 17 to raise awareness about the importance of the internet and other means of information and communication in bringing the world closer. Theme for the year 2020: “Connect 2030: ICTs for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”. The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) was located at Geneva, Switzerland.
- The International day of living together in peace observed annually on May 16 since which year?
5) 2017Answer-3) 2018
The International Day of Living Together in Peace is celebrated every year on May 16th since 2018 with an aim to uphold the desire to live and act together, united in differences and diversity, in order to build a sustainable world of peace, solidarity and harmony.
- The Denmark based scientist has discovered a new species of a parasitic fungus and it is named after _______.
5) TwitterAnswer-5) Twitter
According to the study published in the journal MycoKeys, Ana Sofia Reboleira, a biologist from the University of Copenhagen’s Natural History Museum of Denmark, has discovered a new species of a parasitic fungus ‘Troglomyces Twitteri’ by using image of millipede circulating on social media platform Twitter.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is CSIR – Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI) located?
5) GhaziabadAnswer-2) Mysuru
The Mysuru-based CSIR-Central Food Technological Research Institute has joined hands with the Income Tax Department (Karnataka and Goa) to provide relief food to migrant labourers affected by the COVID-19 lockdown. So far, the institute has supplied five tonnes of fruit bars, 500 kg of Spirulina Chikki and five tonnes of flavoured water to the IT Department which is feeding nearly 10,000 migrant workers daily in Bengaluru and surrounding areas.
- Name the trojan/malware which has been identified as malwarethat steals personal financial information, warning issued by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In).
3) Ice IX
5) EventBotAnswer-5) EventBot
In a latest, the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) has issued a detailed warning to people against the trojan called ‘EventBot’ which has been identified as malware or trojan that steals personal financial information and can affect Android smartphone users in the country. A trojan is essentially a type of malware that is attached to what seems to be a legit programme.
- The department of posts (India Post) functions under which ministry?
1) Ministry of External Affairs
2) Ministry of Communications
3) Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
4) Ministry of Human Resource and Development
5) Ministry of Electronics and Information TechnologyAnswer-2) Ministry of Communications
India Post. The Department of Posts (DoP), trading as India Post, is a government-operated postal system in India, which is a subsidiary of the Ministry of Communications.In a bid to tribute migrant workers, India post, Mumbai has released a Special Postal Cover dedicated to migrant workers at the Bicentennial Hall of the historic,Mumbai, Maharashtra.The five migrant workers from different sectors such as two from construction sector, a taxi driver, a jewellery craftsman and a tailor were called to release the postal cover.
- Where is the HQ of Canara bank located?
2) New Delhi
5) BengaluruAnswer-5) Bengaluru
Canara Bank is one of the largest public sector banks owned by the Government of India. It is headquartered in Bengaluru.
- What is the capital and currency of Italy?
1) Rome & Euro
2) Madrid & Pound
3) Athens & Pound
4) Athens & Euro
5) Rome & PoundAnswer-1) Rome & Euro
The capital and currency of Italy is Rome and Euro respectively.