AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 18 November 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Where was the ‘Statue of Peace’ unveiled virtually by PM Narendra Modi to mark the 151st Birth Anniversary Celebrations of Jainacharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj?
1) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
2) Patna, Bihar
3) Pali, Rajasthan
4) Kevadiya, Gujarat
5) Golpark, Kolkata
Answer-3) Pali, Rajasthan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually unveiled the ‘Statue of Peace’ to mark the 151st Birth Anniversary Celebrations of Jainacharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj at Vijay Vallabh Sadhana Kendra, Jetpura, in Pali, Rajasthan. The statue is 151-inch tall and has been made from Ashtadhatu – 8 metals (Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead, Zinc, Tin, Iron and Antimony or Mercury) with Copper being the major constituent. Vijay Vallabh is a Jain Saint who lived from 1870-1954. He worked selflessly towards spreading the message of Lord Mahavira. He worked for the spread of education, eradication of social evils, and wrote literature. He gave active support to the Freedom Movement and the cause of Swadeshi.
- Where will be the Jai Bhawani women’s cooperative textile mill (Asia’s first Solar Power-Enabled Textile Mill) set up?
1) Bengaluru, Karnataka
2) Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
3) Surat, Gujarat
4) Parbhani, Maharashtra
5) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Answer- 4) Parbhani, Maharashtra
Jai Bhawani women’s cooperative textile mill which is set to come up at Parbhani, Maharashtra will be the first Textile Mill in Asia which will operate on Solar Power.
The Textile Mill is spread across Thirty acres of land and will process cotton to cloth.
Once Functional, the mill will provide jobs to many women in the district. Ginning, Pressing, Weaving and Spinning of cotton will be done in the mill itself.
It is being set up at a cost of INR 100 Crores and will add momentum to the industrial sector in the district. Parbhani is the leading cotton producing district in Maharashtra. Majority of the farmers grow cotton as it is seen as a profitable investment.
- During 73rd World Health Assembly (WHA), World Health Organisation (WHO) launched the first “Global Strategy to Accelerate the Elimination of __________”
1) Cervical Cancer
2) Breast Cancer
Answer-1) Cervical Cancer
During the close of 73rd World Health Assembly (WHA), World Health Organisation (WHO) launched the first “Global Strategy to Accelerate the Elimination of Cervical Cancer” which projected vaccination, screening and treatment can reduce new cases of cervical cancer by more than 40% and five million related deaths by 2050. Cervical cancer is the fourth-most common cancer among women globally. The programme aims to complete the following targets by 2030 globally:
90% girls fully vaccinated with the Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine by 15 years of age. 70% women screened using a high-performance test by 35 years and again by 45 years. 90% of women identified with cervical disease receive treatment.
- Which Country has successfully test-fired two missiles namely DF-26B intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM) and DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM)?
3) South Korea
The Chinese conventional missiles namely DF-26B intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM) and DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM) have successfully hit a moving ship (mobile at-sea) target in disputed waters south of Hainan Island and north of the Paracel Islands. Notably these missiles were launched on August 26, 2020 and the claim of hitting the target by these missiles is given by nearly three months later. The DF-26 was launched from Qinghai Province in northwest China, and the DF-21D ASBM from eastern China in Ningbo, Zhejiang. The DF-21D has a range of approximately 1,800km while DF-26 has a 4,000km range and it can carry either a nuclear or conventional warhead.
The DF-21D and DF-26 are in categories banned under the Russia-US Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, which the US withdrew from in 2019.
- What amount was allocated from Finance Ministry for Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS) benefits for 2019-20?
1) 10,555 crore
2) 39,097 crore
3) 25,454 crore
4) 5,970 crore
5) 50,970 crore
Answer-2) 39,097 crore
In accordance with the notification by Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) under Department of Revenue, the Finance Ministry has approved the allocation of Rs 39,097 crore under the Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS) for the exports made during FY 2019-20. It also approved an allocation of Rs 15,555 crore for MEIS benefits for exports made during the period April 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020. Notably, these allocations are strictly utilized for issuance of duty scrips only for exports made during the respective periods, i.e. Rs 39,097 crore for 2019-20, Rs 10,555 crore for the period April 1, 2020 to August 31, 2020 and Rs 5,000 crore for the period September 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
- Rajasthan Government launched two schemes ‘Vaatsalya Yojana’ and ‘Samarth Yojana’ during observation of child rights week from November 14 to 20, 2020. These schemes are for ________.
3) Backward Students
4) Financially weak students
5) Orphan and Destitute children
Answer-5) Orphan and Destitute children
The state government of Rajasthan is observing child rights week from November 14 to 20, 2020 through skill development activities, awareness programmes and new welfare schemes. The initiatives were taken from the Nehru Child Protection Fund, which was announced in the 2020-21 State Budget. The week was virtually inaugurated by Rajasthan Chief Minister (CM) Ashok Gehlot. During the week the CM launched Vaatsalya Yojana and Samarth Yojana for orphan and destitute children.
- Which State/UT launched a free breakfast scheme “Dr Kalaignar Mu.Karunanidhi Kaalai Sitrundi Thittam” (named after Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Dr Malaignar M Karunanidhi breakfast scheme) for Government and Government aided school’s students?
3) Tamil Nadu
5) Andhra Pradesh
Puducherry Government formally launched a free breakfast scheme “Dr Kalaignar Mu Karunanidhi Kaalai Sitrundi Thittam” (Dr Malaignar M Karunanidhi breakfast scheme) named after Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister for Government and Government aided school’s students.
Around 80, 000 students from 419 schools would benefit from the scheme. Puducherry Government has set aside INR 6 crore as additional amount to implement the breakfast scheme, the amount is in addition to INR 8 to 9 Crore kept aside for providing milk to students at government schools. Initially, the scheme will cover 106 schools since some schools remain closed due to the pandemic.
- Which Financial organaisation had launched a unique savings account for Indian women named as ‘Eva’ (Smriti Mandhana appointed as Brand Ambassador)?
1) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Limited
2) Equitas Small Finance Bank Limited
3) Janalakshmi Small Finance Bank Limited
4) AU Small Finance Bank Limited
5) ESAF Small Finance Bank Limited
Answer-2) Equitas Small Finance Bank Limited
Equitas Small Finance Bank Limited (ESFBL) launched ‘Eva’, a unique savings account for Indian women. The product addresses the wellbeing of women in every aspect such as Health, Wealth and Prosperity. Smriti Mandhana, Indian Woman cricketer has been appointed as the new brand ambassador of ESFBL.
- Which Bank launched ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ Campaign to protect individuals from cyber frauds?
1) ICICI Bank
2) IDFC Bank
3) Yes Bank
4) Axis Bank
5) HDFC Bank
Answer- 5) HDFC Bank
HDFC Bank launched a campaign, ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ to increase awareness on cyber frauds and ways to prevent them. The campaign supports the International Fraud Awareness Week 2020(November 15 – 21), a global movement to reduce the impact of fraud. ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ campaign will talk about the steps to be followed like not to share the card details, CVV(Card Verification Value), Expiry Date, OTP(One Time Password) NetBanking/ MobileBanking Login ID & Password over Phone, SMS, email and social media.
This helps the general public to keep their money safe. HDFC Bank initially launched the ‘Mooh Band Rakho’ campaign to fight COVID 19. It has now extended to fighting cyber fraud.
- India has entered a technical recession in the first half of FY21 for the first time in its history as per the reports ‘nowcast’. Who published the ‘nowcast’ for the first time (November 2020)?
1) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
2) World Bank (WB)
3) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
4) State Bank of India (SBI)
5) Fitch India
Answer-3) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
In accordance with the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) first ever estimation based on high-frequency data namely “nowcast”, India’s Gross domestic product (GDP) contracted 8.6% in the quarter ended September 2020 i.e. Q2FY21. Nowcast is prepared by a team of economists including Michael Debabrata Patra, RBI’s deputy governor. As per it, India also has entered a technical recession in the first half of FY21 for the first time in its history as the economy had slumped about 24% in Q1FY21 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rises to 7.61% in October 2020 as compared to 7.27% in the previous month of September, 2020.
- Which entity launched ‘StAR MF Corp Direct Portal’ a direct investment portal for corporates with more features?
2) NSE Mutual Fund Platform (NSEMF)
3) Edelweiss Partners
4) MF Utility
5) BSE StAR MF
Answer- 5) BSE StAR MF
BSE StAR MF, the Mutual Fund distribution platform of BSE (formerly Bombay Stock Exchange), launched ‘StAR MF Corp Direct Portal’, a direct investment portal for corporates with more features. The portal will simplify and provide end-to-end value-based services to the Asset Management Companies (AMCs), distributors, investors, and mutual fund industry participants.
The portal simplifies the investment process of mutual funds and will reduce the time and increase the efficiency for corporate
- Which Financial Institution signed an agreement with Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM), which handles government’s disinvestment programme to provide advisory services on asset management?
1) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
2) World Bank (WB)
3) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
4) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
5) European Investment Bank (EIB)
Answer-2) World Bank (WB)
Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM), which handles government’s disinvestment programme has signed an agreement with World Bank (WB) under which the latter provide advisory services to DIPAM for asset monetization. This was approved by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
This project would facilitate and accelerate the non-core asset monetization process and help unlock the value of these unused/ marginally used assets for further investments and growth.
- Which State Government signed MoUs with Four Separate Firms – IBM (International Business Machines) India, Singapore Polytechnic International (SPI), India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) and LV Prasad Film & TV Academy (LVPA) for promoting Skill Development among Youth?
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Answer-4) Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh State Skill Development Corporation (APSSDC) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Four Separate Firms – IBM (International Business Machines) India, Singapore Polytechnic International (SPI), India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) and LV Prasad Film & TV Academy (LVPA) for promoting Skill Development among Youth.
The MoU has been signed to impart industry-driven skill courses to students from ITI (Industrial Training Institutes), Polytechnic and Graduation.
- Which Telecom Company signed a Tripartite Agreement with Andaman & Nicobar Administration and Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) for operation and management of Chennai-Andaman & Nicobar Islands Submarine Cable (CANI-SMC) Project?
2) Reliance Jio
3) Vodafone Idea Limited
4) BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd)
5) Tata Tele Broadband
Answer-4) BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd)
A Tripartite Agreement was signed between Andaman & Nicobar Administration (A & N), Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF), BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd) for operation and management of Chennai-Andaman & Nicobar Islands Submarine Cable (CANI-SMC) Project. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had inaugurated the INR 1224 Crore worth Submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) connecting Chennai and Port Blair in August, 2020.
- Who has been appointed as brand ambassador of Financepeer (Google incubated education fee financing company)?
1) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
2) KL Rahul
3) Virat Kohli
4) Jasprit Bumrah
5) Rohit Sharma
Answer-5) Rohit Sharma
Rohit Sharma, India’s leading cricketer, signed with Financepeer, Google incubated education fee financing company, as its brand ambassador. Rohit Sharma will be supporting Financepeer to transform the education sector and introduce innovation across the various segments of education.
This collaboration between Rohit Sharma and Financepeer will increase the reach of edtech and Fintech platforms of Financepeer among the Indian parents and schools. As a part of this collaboration Rohit Sharma will participate in the digital activities of Financepeer.
- Who has been appointed as the 1st chairperson of Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH)?
1) Bibhu Prasad (B.P.) Kanungo
2) Mahesh Kumar (M.K.) Jain,
3) Michael Debabrata(M.D.)Patra
4) Shaktikant Das
5) Senapathy (Kris) Gopalakrishnan
Answer-5) Senapathy (Kris) Gopalakrishnan
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed Senapathy (Kris) Gopalakrishnan, co-founder and former co-Chairman, Infosys as the 1st chairperson of Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH). He is currently the Chief Mentor of Start-up Village, an incubation hub for start-ups. RBIH will be guided and managed by a Governing Council (GC) led by a Chairperson of RBI. The governing council has also 9 other members.
On August 6, 2020 RBI in its Monetary Policy Statement on Development and Regulatory Policies announced that RBI will set up a RBIH to promote innovation across the financial sector by leveraging the technology and creating an environment that facilitates and fosters innovation.
- Nitish Kumar has been sworn in as the CM of Bihar for 7th time (Four Consecutive Terms). Who has sworn in as first women deputy CM of Bihar along with Tarkishore Prasad?
1) Vidya Devi
2) Tara Namdeo
3) Sonali Namdeo
4) Renu Devi
5) Rama Devi
Answer-4) Renu Devi
Nitish Kumar of Janata Dal (United) party was sworn-in as the 23rd Chief Minister (CM) of Bihar. His swearing-in ceremony was administered by Governor Phagu Chauhan, along with Nitish Kumar 14 Ministers from NDA (National Democratic Alliance) took oath as Ministers. Nitish Kumar has been sworn in as the CM of Bihar for Four Consecutive Terms.
He is also taking charge as CM of Bihar for the seventh time in two decades.
Four-Time BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) MLA’s (Member of Legislative Assembly), Tarkishore Prasad (Constituency – Katihar) and Renu Devi (Constituency – Bettiah) were sworn-in as Deputy Chief Ministers.
Renu Devi is the First Woman Deputy CM of Bihar.
- Maia Sandu is set to become first woman President of which Eastern European country?
1) Czech Republic
Maia Sandu, leader of the Action and Solidarity party and former Prime Minister of Moldova, backed by the European Union (EU) won the Presidential runoff votes with around 57.75% of votes. She is set to become the first woman President of Moldova.
Maia Sandu, won the election defeating the pro-Russian incumbent president, Igor Dodon by 15 points (42.25% of votes).
- Who has been appointed as MD & CEO of HDFC Mutual Funds ,currently serving as the Executive Director & Chief Investment Officer (CIO) of SBI Funds Management (FM)?
1) Milind Barve
2) C S Setty
3) Navneet Munot
4) Neeraj Vyas
5) Ashwani Bhatia
Answer- 3) Navneet Munot
The Board of directors of HDFC Mutual Funds approved the appointment of Navneet Munot as its managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO). He will succeed Milind Barve, the current MD of HDFC Asset Management Company Limited.
Naveet is currently serving as the Executive Director & Chief Investment Officer (CIO) of SBI Funds Management (FM). He also served as the CIO of Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund. He is the chairman of Indian Association of Investment Professional.
- Which State’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission won World Travel Mart’s ‘Highly Commended’ Award in the category of ”Meaningful Connections” for promoting RT during the COVID-19 pandemic?
1) Tamil Nadu’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission
2) Kerala’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission
3) Maharashtra’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission
4) Goa’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission
5) Telanagana’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission
Answer-2) Kerala’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission
Kerala’s Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission received World Travel Mart’s ‘Highly Commended’ Award in the category of ”Meaningful Connections.” for its activities that aimed at promoting RT during the COVID-19 pandemic. It received the award for its activities like ”Work at Home Videos” developed by RT Mission entrepreneurs and storytelling audio and video series of various Mission units in the state that posed multiple challenges to the tourism sector. This award is the 5th International Award for the RT Mission since its formation in 2017. The Mission has also won 3 National Awards.
- Where will be United Nations (UN) Climate Conference also known as COP 26 held in 2021?
1) Rome, Italy
2) Glasgow, United Kingdom
3) Madrid, Spain
4) Santiago, Chile
5) Brisbane, Australia
Answer- 2) Glasgow, United Kingdom
The UK (United Kingdom) Government announced SSE, ScottishPower, NatWest Group and National Grid as the first Principal Partners for the 2021 United Nations (UN) Climate Conference also known as COP26. As Principal Partners, they will be the top tier of sponsorship for COP 26. COP26 is scheduled to take place on November 1-12, 2021 at SEC Centre, Glasgow, Scotland (UK).
- Name the Football club which became the first Premier League club to sign up for United Nations (UN) Sports for Climate Action Framework.
3) Real Madrid
5) Manchester United
Answer- 1) Arsenal
Football club Arsenal became the first Premier League club to sign up for United Nations (UN) Sports for Climate Action Framework to support the ambition to achieve climate neutrality by 2050.
- Masatoshi Koshiba, an astrophysicist who was the co-winner of the 2002 Nobel Prize in Physics, passed away recently. He belonged to which country?
3) South Korea
Masatoshi Koshiba, a Japanese astrophysicist passed away at the age of 94. He is the co-winner of the 2002 Nobel Prize in physics “for pioneering contributions to astrophysics, in particular for the detection of cosmic neutrinos”. He was born on September 19, 1926 in Toyohashi, Aichi, Japan. He was Senior Counselor of International Center for Elementary Particle Physics (ICEPP) and Emeritus Professor of University of Tokyo. He was the founding member of the Edogawa NICHE Prize Steering Committee.
- When is the National Epilepsy Day observed in India?
1) November 13
2) November 14
3) November 15
4) November 16
5) November 17
Answer-5) November 17
The National Epilepsy Day is annually celebrated across India on 17th November to create awareness about Epilepsy, its causes, risk factors, symptoms and treatments. This National Epilepsy Day is observed by the Epilepsy Foundation of India. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), more than 50 million people across the globe have epilepsy, which makes it one of the most common neurological diseases. Almost 80% of people suffering from Epilepsy reside in low and middle income countries.
- Which day is globally observed as International Students’ Day to ensure every student has access to education around the world?
1) November 14
2) October 5
3) November 15
4) November 16
5) November 17
Answer- 5) November 17
International Students’ Day is celebrated annually on November 17 across the globe. It is an international observance of the student community. The day aims to ensure every student has access to education around the world.
The International Students Council in London declared November 17 as the International Students Day in 1941.
During World War II, on this day, in 1939 Nazis attacked the University of Prague, where over 1,200 students were sent to the concentration camps, and many others were killed. Eventually all the Czech universities and colleges were closed. This was because, the students held a series anti-Nazi demonstrations in Prague, Czech on October 28, 1939 against the killing of Jan Opletal and worker Václav Sedláèek and against the occupation of Czechoslovakia.
- Which State Government has decided to celebrate the Tribal Pride Day on 15th November 2020 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Freedom fighter and martyr Birsa Munda?
4) Madhya Pradesh
Answer-4) Madhya Pradesh
Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Chief Minister (CM) of Madhya Pradesh (MP) has decided to celebrate the Tribal Pride Day in Madhya Pradesh (MP) on 15th November 2020 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Freedom fighter and martyr Birsa Munda. He also stated that starting from 2020 every year the 15th November will be celebrated as Tribal Pride Day.
The Department of Culture and the Tribal Welfare Department organised a program in the Tribal Museum of Bhopal to commemorate the birth anniversary of Birsa Munda.
He also announced that the name of MP’s Tribal Welfare Department will be changed to Tribal Affairs Department.
- Which State Coastal Security Police launched “Kadalu App” to support and help the fishermen?
2) Andhra Pradesh
3) Tamil Nadu
On 13th November 2020, Kota Srinivasa Poojary, Karnataka’s Minister for Fisheries, Inland Transport Department and Muzrai launched the “Kadalu App” to support and help the fishermen. He launched the app at the Fishing Awareness programme held in Moodukudu, Krishnapura, near Udupi. The app was conceptualised and developed by Coastal Security Police for the Department of Fisheries, Government of Karnataka. The Kadalu app will support the fishermen to submit the information about their arrival and departure from the fishing harbors through their smartphones.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Chandoli National Park located?
5) Madhya Pradesh
Chandoli National Park is a National Park spread over Satara, Kolhapur and Sangli Districts, Maharashtra State, India, established in May 2004. Earlier it was a Wildlife Sanctuary declared in 1985.
- Barren Island Volcano (India’s only active volcano) lies in which Indian State/UT?
1) Dadra & Nagar Haveli
2) Andaman Sea
5) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-2) Andaman Sea
Barren Island is a remote stratovolcano located east of India in the Andaman Islands. Its most recent eruptive episode began in September 2018 and has included lava flows, explosions, ash plumes, and lava fountaining (BGVN 44:02). Barren Island is an island located in the Andaman Sea. It is the only confirmed active volcano in South Asia, and the only active volcano along a chain of volcanoes from Sumatra to Myanmar.
- Ghatigaon Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which State?
5) Madhya Pradesh
Answer-5) Madhya Pradesh
Ghatigaon Wildlife Sanctuary is a wildlife sanctuary in India. Ghatigaon covers 511.0 km² in Madhya Pradesh state, west of the city of Gwalior. It extends to Tigra Dam, and includes part of the reservoir. It was established in 1981 to protect habitat of the great Indian bustard (Ardeotis nigriceps).
- Where is Ousteri Lake located in India?
2) Tamil Nadu
5) Uttar Pradesh
The century old man-made Ousteri Lake – also referred to as Osudu Lake – is situated about 10 kms from Puducherry town and has been recognized as one of the important wetlands of Asia by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) and it is the most important freshwater lake in the Pondicherry region. The structure of the lake is complex – consisting of water, wetland/marsh and mudflats; it acts as the single largest catchment of fresh water in Puducherry.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port is located in which state of India?
3) Andhra Pradesh
Jawaharlal Nehru Port, abbreviated as JNPT, also known as Nhava Sheva, is the largest container port in India. Located east of Mumbai in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, this port on the Arabian Sea is accessed via Thane Creek. Its common name derives from the names of Nhava and Sheva villages that were situated here.