AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 17 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Where did Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi virtually laid the foundation stone for First-of-its-kind world’s largest hybrid renewable energy (RE) park on December, 2020?
1) Pavagada, Karnataka
2) Tunda, Gujarat
3) Bhadla, Rajasthan
4) Dhordo, Gujarat
5) Waidhan, Madhya Pradesh
Answer-4) Dhordo, Gujarat
On December 15, 2020, Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi undertook a visit to Dhordo in Kutch, Gujarat where he virtually laid the Foundation Stone of several development projects in the State viz. world’s largest hybrid renewable energy (RE) park, a desalination plant and a fully automated milk processing and packing plant. First-of-its-kind world’s largest hybrid RE park, spanning over 72,600 hectares (ha) of waste land with 30,000 megawatt (MW) capacity at near the India-Pakistan border in Kutch, Gujarat. This park will use both wind and solar energy.
- Which organisation has launched a Scheme for approval of Hygiene Rating Audit Agencies, a certification system for restaurants, hotels and cafeterias?
1) Quality Council of India (QCI)
2) Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
3) Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
4) Food Corporation of India (FCI)
5) Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
Answer-1) Quality Council of India (QCI)
After the launch of Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS) by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), on December 15, 2020, Quality Council of India (QCI) has come out with a Scheme for approval of Hygiene Rating Audit Agencies. Currently, this scheme is applicable for Food service establishments (such as hotels, restaurants, cafeteria, dhabhas, etc), sweet shops, bakeries and meat retail stores. The Scheme will scale up Hygiene Rating by increasing the number of recognised Hygiene Rating Audit Agencies in the country.
- Where is the Losar-a New Year festival celebrated every year?
1) Jammu and Kashmir
2) Himachal Pradesh
3) Arunachal Pradesh
On December 15, 2020, Ladakh Buddhist Association (LBA) celebrated the ‘Losar’ festival to mark the beginning of Ladakhi New Year. ‘Losar’ is celebrated in the 11th month of the Tibetan calendar. ‘Tarchen’ – a religious and traditional flag was hoisted to mark the beginning of the new year. ‘Losar’ started as a tradition during the rule of the 9th King of Tibet, King Jamyang Namgyal in the early 17th century.
- Which state government has launched the ‘YSR Free Crop Insurance Scheme’ for farmers who have lost their crops during Kharif 2019?
1) Tamil Nadu
2) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-2) Andhra Pradesh
On 15th December, 2020, Andhra Pradesh (AP) Chief Minister (CM) Jaganmohan Reddy launched ‘YSR Free Crop Insurance Scheme’ for farmers who have lost their crops during Kharif 2019. An amount of INR 1, 252 Crores was directly credited into the bank account of around 9.48 Lakh farmers. The AP government has paid the entire premium on behalf of the 49.80 Lakh famers covered under the scheme, it has paid around INR 971 crore as premium for the period 2019-20.
- What is the name of the premium brand credit card jointly launched by SBI Cards and Payment Services Limited (SBI Card) and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd(BPCL) on December, 2020?
1) OCTANE 90 Card
2) Yatra SBI Card
3) SBI Petrol Card
4) BPCL SBI Card OCTANE
5) Club BPCL SBI Card PRIME
Answer-4) BPCL SBI Card OCTANE
On December 15, 2020 SBI Cards and Payment Services Limited (SBI Card) and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd(BPCL) jointly launched ‘BPCL SBI Card OCTANE’, a premium co-branded credit card. The card is designed to offer maximum savings to the affluent customer segment that spends a significant amount on fuel. The cardholder can avail the benefit of the card from more than 17,000 BPCL fuel stations across India. For Fuel spends there is no minimum transaction.
- Which Insurance company has partnered with IntrCity RailYatri to provide domestic travel Insurance cover of Rs. 5 Lakhs to bus customers who travel through IntrCity SmartBus?
1) HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Limited
2) SBI General Insurance Company Limited
3) Bharti Axa General Insurance Company Limited
4) United India Insurance Company Limited
5) Life Insurance Corporation of India
Answer-2) SBI General Insurance Company Limited
On December 15, 2020 SBI General Insurance Company Limited has partnered with IntrCity RailYatri to provide domestic travel Insurance to bus customers who travel through IntrCity RailYatri. Under this partnership, the travel premium charges to the domestic bus travellers have been waived off, i.e., every IntrCity SmartBus traveler can avail complementary travel cover of Rs. 5 Lakhs along with the travel ticket.
- Which bank has partnered with National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA) to offer Scholarships for Young Musicians 2020-21(Hindustani Music)’ on December, 2020?
1) State Bank of India
2) Axis Bank
3) HDFC Bank
5) Kotak Mahindra Bank
On December 16, 2020 Citibank and National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA) partnered to offer ‘Citi-NCPA Scholarships for Young Musicians 2020-21(Hindustani Music)’ for vocal – khayal / dhrupad and percussion – tabla / pakhawaj. The scholarship program is for students to get advanced training in the field of Hindustani music (vocal & instrumental). The value of scholarship is Rs 10, 000 for one month for one year (April 2021 to March 2022).
- Which Insurance company has partnered with BSE Ebix Insurance Broking Private Limited to launch the beta version of its term insurance in the on-demand advanced hi-tech platform, on December, 2020?
1) Life Insurance Corporation of India
2) ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
3) Birla Sun Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
4) Max Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
5) Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
Answer-2) ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
On December 15, 2020 BSE Ebix Insurance Broking Private Limited partnered with ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd. for the beta launch of term Insurance of ICICI Prudential on its on-demand advanced hi-tech platform. This launch allows BSE Ebix to handle the insurance sales across the term and endowment lines in the life insurance segment, using its omni-channel digital presence. With this launch, 12 Insurance Companies have been integrated with BSE Ebix platform.
- What is the name of Kotak Life’s 1st health insurance product for which awareness campaigns were organized in 5 cities on December, 2020?
1) Kotak Health Premier
2) Kotak Secure Shield
3) Health Optima Restore Plan
4) Kotak Health Shield
5) Health Suraksha Silver Smart
Answer-4) Kotak Health Shield
On December 14, 2020 Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company (Kotak Life) launched its five-city outdoor campaign to increase awareness about its 1st health insurance product, ‘Kotak Health Shield’. The 5 cities are Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad and Pune.
- Ecowrap report of the State Bank of India (SBI) has estimated that India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) will contract by _____ from the earlier projected (–)10.9% on December, 2020.
1) (-) 8.3%
2) (-) 7.7%
3) (-) 7.4%
4) (-) 9.1%
5) (-) 8.3%
Answer-3) (-) 7.4%
The December 2020 Ecowrap report of the State Bank of India (SBI) has estimated that India’s Gross Domestic Product(GDP) will contract by 7.4%(-7.4%) from -10.9% projected earlier based on the better than expected recovery. It also projected that the GDP growth in FY22 will be at 11% due to base effect.
- Who becomes the President of Ghana on 9th December, 2020?
1) Edward Akufo Addo
2) William Ofori Atta
3) John Kufuor
4) John Atta Mills
5) Nana Akufo-Addo
Answer-5) Nana Akufo-Addo
On 9th December 2020, Incumbent President of Ghana Nana Akufo-Addo (76-year-old) from center-right New Patriotic Party (NPP) won the presidential election with 51.302%(6730587 votes) of the vote. In accordance with the constitution of Ghana, this will be his 2nd and final term as the president of Ghana.
- Which organisation conducted Meghdoot Award Function 2020 virtually, that saw the participation of Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad as Chief Guest?
1) Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC)
2) National Informatics Centre (NIC)
3) Department of Posts (DoP)
4) Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In)
5) Department of Telecommunications (DoT)
Answer-3) Department of Posts (DoP)
On December 15, 2020, Department of Posts (DoP) conducted Meghdoot Award Function 2020 in the Conference Hall of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) in New Delhi. It was attended by Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, MoC, and MeitY, as the Chief Guest and Sanjay Dhotre, Minister of State (MoS) for MeitY as Guest of Honour. The Meghdoot award is an annual award to recognize excellence in postal service and is awarded in 8 categories. The General category for Grameen Daksevak was conferred upon Kirtan Nayak of Odisha Circle.
- Who topped Forbes 2020’s highest-paid celebrity list on December 2020?
1) Kylie Jenner
2) Lionel Messi
3) Dwayne Johnson
4) Kanye West
5) Cristiano Ronaldo
Answer-1) Kylie Jenner
On 15th December, 2020 Famous American Media Personality and founder of Kylie Cosmetics, Kylie Jenner topped the Forbes 2020’s highest paid celebrity list with an earning of USD 590 million in 2020. The 23-year-old topped the list after she sold a 51% stake in Kylie Cosmetics for $600 million to Coty.
Rank Celebrity Earning (USD in million) 1 Kylie Jenner 590 2 Kanye West 170 3 Roger Federer 106.3 4 Cristiano Ronaldo 105 5 Lionel Messi 104
- What is the theme of the 5-day long virtual 5th India Water Impact Summit (IWIS) 2020 that was organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Center for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga)?
1) Ganga Financing Forum – The subject, with showcasing of technological innovations, research, policy frameworks
2) Understanding the River Ganga and Learning from the Laboratory of the River Ganga
3) Arth Ganga – River Conservation Synchronised Development
4) Financing of High Impact Projects in the water sector
5) cGanga- Conservation and Management of River Basin
Answer-3) Arth Ganga – River Conservation Synchronised Development
On December 10-15, 2020, the 5-day long virtual 5th India Water Impact Summit (IWIS) 2020 was organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Center for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga) on the theme “Arth Ganga – River Conservation Synchronised Development”. The summit was inaugurated by Union Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS).
“Project Arth Ganga” aims to energise economic development in the Ganga along the river banks in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal in order to generate economic benefit of more than Rs 1000 crores over the next 5 years
- What is India’s rank in the recently released “Human Development Report 2020 – The next frontier: Human Development and the Anthropocene” by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)?
According to the “Human Development Report 2020 – The next frontier: Human Development and the Anthropocene” released by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), India (score of 0.645) was ranked 131 in the list of 189 countries based on Human Development Index (HDI). Norway topped the list with a score of 0.957, the second place was grabbed by 2 countries – Ireland (0.955) and Switzerland (0.955). The report provides HDI ranks for the year 2019. India slipped two spots to 131, it ranked 129 in 2019 HDI.
- What is the name of the recently commissioned Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS)Interceptor boat was commissioned at Hazira, Surat, Gujarat by Surat Police Commissioner Ajay Tomar, which was built Indigenously by Larsen & Toubro (L&T), on December, 2020?
1) ICGS Sujeet
2) ICGS N C- 445
3) ICGS C- 449
4) ICGS Varad
5) ICGS C- 454
Answer-5) ICGS C- 454
On December 15, 2020, Indigenously built Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) – C-454 Interceptor boat was commissioned at Hazira, Surat, Gujarat by Surat Police Commissioner Ajay Tomar. The ship has been built by Larsen & Toubro (L&T). The ship will be used for tightening security along Gujarat’s 1600 km maritime borders. C-454 Interceptor Boat is the 54th boat built by L&T for ICG. C-454 will operate from Gujarat under the control of Commander Coast Guard Region (North-West) of ICG.
- Which country’s defence organization successfully test fired 3 multi-range missiles “Arrow”, “David’s Sling” & “Iron Dome” along with United States Missile Defense Agency (MDA)?
3) Saudi Arabia
5) United Arab Emirates
On December 15, 2020, Israel Missile Defense Organization (IMDO) together with United States Missile Defense Agency (MDA) successfully test fired a series of Israel’s 3 multi-range missile defence systems namely – “Arrow”, “David’s Sling” & “Iron Dome” over the Mediterranean Sea. The tests are being conducted amidst heightening tensions between Israel & Iran. The drills showcased the capability of the systems to intercept a range of aerial targets from drones to long range ballistic missiles.
- Where was the Indigenously built 5th & Final Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ‘Saksham’ launched into water by Indian Coast Guard (ICG)?
On December 14, 2020, Indian Coast Guard (ICG) launched the 5th & Final Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ‘Saksham’ into water at Vasco da Gama, Goa. The OPV is being built by Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) and is expected to be delivered to the ICG by October 2021. The ship was launched by Jayanthi Natarajan, wife of K Natarajan, Director General (DG) of Indian Coast Guard. OPV ‘Saksham’ is equipped with a Quick Response Boats for rescue and anti-piracy, Gunnery simulators and has been designed fully by professionals of GSL and will be used for protection of Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs) in India.
- Where will be the rescheduled Women’s ODI World Cup 2022 conducted by International Cricket Council (ICC)?
1) South Africa
3) New Zealand
5) England and Wales
Answer-3) New Zealand
India will open their campaign in the rescheduled Women’s ODI World Cup against a qualifier on March 6, 2022 at Tauranga’s Bay Oval in New Zealand, according to the 31-match schedule announced by the International Cricket Council (ICC). The event, which was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic from its original window in February-March 2021.
- Where will be the International Hockey Federation’s (FIH), Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023 conducted?
1) Odisha, India
2) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3) The Hague, Netherlands
4) Sydney, Australia
5) Lahore, Pakistan
Answer-1) Odisha, India
After the stupendous success of Odisha Men’s Hockey World Cup in 2018 and the scale at which it was hosted, International Hockey Federation (FIH), had announced last year that the 2023 FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup will be hosted in Odisha, for a second consecutive time, at two venues, Bhubaneswar and Rourkela.
- Ambrose Mandvulo(M.) Dlamini was the 1st world leader & present PM to die of Covid-19, he is the current Prime Minister of _____ as of December, 2020.
1) Sierra Leone
On December 13, 2020 Ambrose Mandvulo(M.) Dlamini, Prime Minister(PM) of Eswatini passed away at the age of 52 at South African Hospital. He was the 1st World Leader who died of Covid-19 while serving as Prime Minister. He was the youngest PM in the country’s history. He was born on 5th March 1968 in Mbekelweni, Manzini Region, Eswatini.
- Indian Navy’s Senior Most Submariner, Vice Admiral Srikant passed away recently, he is the Director general of _____ as of December, 2020.
1) Project 17-A
3) Project 75 Alpha
4) Project Seabird
5) Project Mahendragiri
Answer-4) Project Seabird
On 15th December, 2020 Indian Navy’s Senior Most Submariner and the current director general of Project Seabird, Vice Admiral Srikant passed away after suffering from COVID-19 infection. Vice Admiral Srikant is the current Director general of Indian government’s largest infrastructure project “Project Seabird”.
- Which country does the late Chuck Yeager, the pilot who broke sound barrier to make aviation available for all, belongs to?
Charles Elwood Yeager was a United States Air Force officer, flying ace, and record-setting test pilot who in 1947 became the first pilot who took aviation to the doorstep of space by becoming the first person to break the sound barrier more than 70 years ago, died on Monday at the age of 97 in history confirmed to have exceeded the speed of sound in level flight.
- When was the 49th Vijay Diwas Celebrated to mark India’s victory over Pakistan in the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War?
1) 15th December
2) 16th December
3) 15th November
4) 16th November
5) 14th December
Answer-2) 16th December
Vijay Diwas is annually celebrated across India on 16th December which marks India’s victory over Pakistan in 1971 which resulted in the liberation of Bangladesh from Pakistan. The 16th December 2020 marks the 49th Vijay Diwas and also marks the beginning of the celebration of “Swarnim Vijay Varsh” – 50th anniversary of India’s victory over Pakistan. The day is observed to pay tribute to the martyrs of both India and Bangladesh who died in the line of duty during the 1971 Liberation War.
- In which district of Bihar was the 3 day long, 1st Migratory Birds Festival organized by Bihar state forestry department on December, 2020?
Bihar’s 1st Migratory Birds Festival was organized for 3 days from 11th to 13th December, 2020 in Bhagalpur, Bihar. The event will Showcase hundreds of Migratory birds yearly visiting the Bhagalpur region during the winter season. Event was jointly organised by Bhagalpur forest division, non-profit Bombay Natural History Society and the Bhagalpur based Mandar Nature Club. Event includes Bird watch at Jagatpur lake, Ganga river course in the Vikramshila Gangetic Dolphin Sanctuary (VGDS), Kadwa Kosi diara, Sundervan region and Jaiprakash Udyan.
- Where did the researchers found a new species of wide-nosed Pygmy Grasshopper, ‘Tettilobus Trishula’, that has resemblance to Lord Shiva’s trishul because of its three-pronged spear?
1) Nagarhole National Park
2) Mukurthi National Park
3) Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary
4) Eravikulam National Park
5) Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary
Answer-4) Eravikulam National Park,Kerala
A new species of wide-nosed Pygmy Grasshopper documented by researchers in Eravikulam National Park (Idukki, Kerala) in January, 2018 has been named ‘Tettilobus Trishula’ (common name Shiva’s pygmy trishula) as its protrusion in pronotum resembles the three-pronged spear ‘Trishul’ used by Lord Shiva. Shiva’s Pygmy Trishula is set to be added in the list of 30 target species under the Red List Assessment of Grasshoppers in India, which is being initiated by the Grasshopper Specialist Group of the IUCN.
- What is the name of Digital Payment app launched by, Department of Posts (DoP) and India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) on December, 2020?
1) Digital Wallet
As part of ongoing efforts to provide Digital Financial inclusion across India, the DoP and India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) have virtually unveiled a new digital payment app DakPay. Its launch was announced by Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad while its logo was launched by IPPB. It allows users to create Unified Payments Interface (UPI) ID and link multiple accounts across banks through Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AEPS).
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Which state annually celebrate Lumbini festival?
1) Andhra Pradesh
2) Madhya Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
4) Himachal Pradesh
Answer-1) Andhra Pradesh
Lumbini festivals, states for the place where GAUTAM BUDDHA was born and is a well-known pilgrimage site for all the Buddha followers. The festival highlights the Buddhist impression of the state and is organized annually at the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, which is located in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
- Who was the current chief of the Army Staffs on December, 2020?
1) Bipin Rawat
2) Manoj Mukund Naravane
3) Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria
4) Birender Singh Dhanoa
5) V.K. Singh
Answer-2) Manoj Mukund Naravane
General Manoj Mukund Naravane PVSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC is a Four Star general of the Indian Army and the 28th Chief of the Army Staff. He took over from General Bipin Rawat on 31 December 2019.
- Where is the headquarters of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) located?
1) New York, USA
2) Rome, Italy
3) Paris, France
4) London, UK
5) Gland, Switzerland
Answer-5) Gland, Switzerland
The headquarters of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) located at Gland, Switzerland.
- Which is the capital city of Ghana?
4) Addis Ababa
Accra is the capital of Ghana, on the Atlantic coast of West Africa.
- When was India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) established?
India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) was launched by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on September 1, 2018.