AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 17 & 18 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- The central government has approved the modification of the Detailed Project Report of the multipurpose Project (at J&K) on the river Ujh. The river Ujh is tributary of which river?
The Centre approved to modification of the Detailed Project Report (DPR) of the Ujh multipurpose Project (MPP) located on the river Ujh, main tributaries of river Ravi in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir at the estimated cost of Rs.9,167 crore.
- As per the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare’s 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2019-20, what is the total food grain production estimate of the country in 2019-20?
1) 251.17 million tonnes
2) 285.21 million tonnes
3) 295.67 million tonnes
4) 297.10 million tonnes
5) 291.10 million tonnes
Answer-3) 295.67 million tonnes
According to Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare’s 3rd Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2019-20, the total foodgrain production in the country is estimated to achieve a record of all-time high 295.67 million tonnes in 2019-20 for the 4th consecutive year since 2016-17 crop year (July-June). This estimated output is up 3.67%(10.46 million tonnes) when compared to the previous record 285.21 million tonne during the 2018-19 crop year and has even crossed its target of 291.10 million tonne, which had been set before the beginning of the 2019-20 sowing season.
- What is the total number of mandis that was integrated with the e-NAM platform of electronic agriculture trading portal (as on May 15, 2020)?
On 15th May 2020, The Ministry of Agriculture announced that the e-NAM reached 1000 mandis across the nation in 18 states and 3 union territories(UTs) with 38 new mandis integrated with the e-NAM platform of electronic agriculture trading portal.
- Indian government has set a renewable energy installation target of _____ by 2022 (FY22).
1) 125 GW
2) 90 GW
3) 50 GW
4) 100 GW
5) 175 GW
Answer-5) 175 GW
In accordance with a report “India’s Utility-Scale Solar Parks—A Global Success Story” by Kashish Shah, a researcher analyst at US-based Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA), the installation of utility-scale solar parks or ultra-mega power plant (UMPP)in India has started the India’s energy sector transition. This approach has attracted global investment. It should be noted that in 2016, the Indian government has set a target of installing 175 gigawatts of renewable energy by the FY2021-22and 275 gigawatts by FY2026-27to transform the country’s power sector from an expensive, unreliable, and polluting fossil fuel‑based system into a low-cost, reliable and low-emission system based on renewable energy.
- The central government has allocated ______ to fund Agriculture Infrastructure Projects at farm-gate & aggregation points.The fundwill be financed and managed by NABARD.
1) 5 Lakh Crore
2) 50,000 Crore
3) 25,000 Crore
4) 1 Lakh Crore
5) 75,000 Crore
Answer-4) 1 Lakh Crore
The Central government has allocated Rs 1 lakh crore to fund Agriculture Infrastructure Projects at farm-gate & aggregation points (Primary Agricultural Cooperative Societies, Farmers Producer Organizations, Agriculture entrepreneurs, Start-ups, etc.). This fund will be financed and managed by National Bank for Agriculture & Rural Development (NABARD). This fund will be used for setting up cold chains and post-harvest management infrastructure.
- The central government has allocated 20,000 cr for development of marine and inland fisheries under which scheme?
1) Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana
2) Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
3) Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana
4) Pradhan Mantri MatsyaSampada Yojana
5) Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
Answer-4) Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
The government has allocated Rs 20,000 crore for fishermen through the Pradhan Mantri MatsyaSampada Yojana (PMMSY) for development of marine and inland fisheries. Of this, Rs 11,000 crore will be allocated for activities in marine, inland fisheries and aquaculture while Rs 9,000 crore for developing infrastructure of fishing harbors, cold chains, markets, etc. The development will lead to additional Fish Production of 70 lakh tones over 5 years, and double the exports to Rs 1,00,000 crore. It also generates employment to over 55 lakh persons and doubles the exports to Rs 1,00,000 crore.
- The central government along with which state government has inked 2 loan agreements of $145 million each with World Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank for irrigation and flood management project worth $413.8 million?
2) Himachal Pradesh
3) West Bengal
Answer-3) West Bengal
The Government of India and West Bengal Government have inked two loan agreements for the “West Bengal Major Irrigation and Flood Management Project” to improve irrigation services and flood management in the Damodar Valley Command Area (DVCA) of West Bengal.One agreement is inked with the World Bank (WB) for a loan of $145 million.The other agreement was inked with Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) for $145million.The Government of West Bengal has infused $123.8 million for this project. The total worth of the project is $413.8 million.
- To which Indian state NABARD has sanctioned Rs. 1500 crores to ensure continuous credit flow to farmers, through state cooperative banks?
The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development(NABARD) has sanctioned Rs 1,500 crores for Punjab to ensure continuous credit flow to farmers, through state cooperative banks, amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Out of the total amount Rs 1,000 crores is sanctioned to Punjab State Cooperative Bank and Rs 500 crores to Punjab Gramin Bank.
- The Rajesh Kumar Chibber is re-appointed as the chairman of J&K bank for 3 years. Name the person who has been appointed as the MD of J&K bank?
1) Rana Kapoor
2) Aditya Puri
3) Shikha Sharma
4) Polali Jayarama Bhat
5) Zubair Iqbal
Answer-5) Zubair Iqbal
The Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) administration approved the appointment of senior vice president (SVP) of HDFC bank Zubair Iqbal as the new Managing Director (MD) of Jammu and Kashmir Bank, for a period of 3 years. In another order, Rajesh Kumar Chibber, who is currently MD and Chairman of J&K bank, has been reappointed as the Chairman for the period of 3 years.
- Name the person who headed the Group of Ministers (GoM) panel which proposes land pooling to corporatize agriculture & merging MGNREGA with skilling programmes.
1) Rao Inderjit Singh
2) Thawar Chand Gehlot
3) Mahendra Nath Pandey
4) Raj Kumar Singh
5) Santosh Kumar Gangwar
Answer-2) Thawar Chand Gehlot
A Group of Ministers(GoM) panel headed by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot on employment and skill development has drafted a set of proposals that includes land pooling to corporatize agriculture, opening up Employees’ Provident Fund(EPF) and Employees State Insurance Corporation(ESIC) for the unorganised sector, merging the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act ,2005(MGNREGA). with skill development programmes to create a wage subsidy programme.
- Name the person who heads the 5-member high powered committee formed by Andhra Pradesh government to investigate leakage of styrene gas from the LG Polymers India Ltd in Visakhapatnam.
1) Neerabh Kumar Prasad
2) Vinay Chand
3) Karikal Valaven
4) RK Meena
5) Vivek Yadav
Answer-1) Neerabh Kumar Prasad
The Andhra Pradesh (AP) government has formed a 5-member high-powered committee led by Neerabh Kumar Prasad to probe into the causes behind the leakage of styrene gas from the LG Polymers India Ltd located at RR Venkatapuram in Visakhapatnam. The panel required to submit its final report within one month.
- Which company has acquired the remaining 25% stake in Kenya-based Canon Chemicals Ltd.
1) Godrej East Africa Holdings
2) Parle Agro holdings
3) ITC Africa holdings
4) Marico India
5) Nestle West Africa Holdings
Answer-1) Godrej East Africa Holdings
Godrej East Africa Holdings Ltd, a subsidiary of FMCG (Fast-moving consumer goods) firm Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (GCPL), has acquired the balance 25% stake in Kenya-based Canon Chemicals Ltd for an undisclosed sum.
- What is the cost of Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme (DTIS) which was approved by Defence minister Rajnath Singh to create testing infrastructure for the defence sector recently?
1) 100 Crore
2) 500 Crore
3) 1000 Crore
4) 400 Crore
5) 700 Crore
Answer-4) 400 Crore
Union Defence minister Rajnath Singh has approved the launch of Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme(DTIS) with a cost of Rs 400 crores to create testing infrastructure for the defence sector so as to boost domestic defence and aerospace manufacturing.
- The 103rd Landing Craft Utility (LCU) MK IV class vessel named ‘INLCU L57’ was commissioned into the Indian Navy at Port Blair recently. Name the company which built ‘INLCU L57’?
1) Mazagon Dock Limited
2) Cochin Shipyard Limited
3) Goa Shipyard Limited
4) Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited
5) Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust Mumbai
Answer-4) Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited
Lt. General PS Rajeshwar PVSM, AVSM, VSM, ADC, Commanding-in-Chief of Andaman & Nicobar Command, has commissioned the 103rd Landing Craft Utility (LCU) MK IV class vessel ‘INLCU L 57’ (Yard no: 2098) into the Indian Navy at Port Blair in a low-profile ceremony. It was the 7th in the series of 8 such vessels being indigenously made by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE) for the Navy.
- CSIR partnered with Intel India and which IIIT to develop a faster and cost efficient COVID-19 diagnostic solution to understand epidemiology?
1) IIIT – Delhi
2) IIIT – Guwahati
3) IIIT – Bengaluru
4) IIIT – Bhopal
5) IIIT – Hyderabad
Answer-5) IIIT – Hyderabad
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) working with Intel India and International Institute of Information Technology(IIIT), Hyderabad in developing a faster and cost efficient COVID-19 diagnostic solution, an IT technology to understand epidemiology and AI based risk stratification for the patients.
- The scientists of which Institute has developed the Silk Fibroin formulated using biocompatible additives and an injectable SF hydrogel to ease the insulin delivery for diabetic patients?
1) S.N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
2) Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology
3) Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
4) Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology
5) Institute for Advanced Studies in Science Technology
Answer-3) Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
The Research team of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) headed by Prof.T.Govindaraju developed the Silk Fibroin (SF) formulated using biocompatible additives and an injectable SF hydrogel (iSFH) to ease the insulin delivery for diabetic patients.
- The researcher at which institute of CSIR has developed lightweight carbon foam that can replace lead batteries?
1) Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
2) Institute of Microbial Technology
3) National Environmental Engineering Research Institute
4) Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology
5) Advanced Materials and Processes Research Institute
Answer-5) Advanced Materials and Processes Research Institute
Dr. Rajeev Kumar of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research -Advanced Materials and Processes Research Institute (CSIR -AMPRI), who received the Inspire Faculty Award, has developed a porous lightweight carbon foam with a density of less than 0.3g/cc that can replace lead-grids in lead acid batteries.
- The University of Hyderabad and CSIR – Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) has partnered with which company to develop antibody- based immunotherapy for immediate treatment for Covid-19 pandemic?
1) Serum Institute of India Pvt
2) Virchow Biotech Private Limited
3) Vins Bioproducts Ltd
4) Premium Serums & Vaccines Ltd
5) Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd
Answer-3) Vins Bioproducts Limited
University of Hyderabad (UoH) and CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research)-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), have tied up with Vins Bioproducts Limited, an antisera manufacturing company incubated at UoH’s BioNEST incubation centre, to develop antibody- based immunotherapy for immediate treatment for Covid-19 pandemic.
- Which IIT along with CSIR – Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB) has teamed up to find a solution to understand Parkinson’s disease?
1) IIT Mandi
2) IIT (ISM) Dhanbad
3) IIT Kanpur
4) IIT Kharagpur
5) IIT Roorkee
Answer-2) IIT (ISM) Dhanbad
Scientists of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) (Indian School of Mines ISM) Dhanbad and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR)-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology(IICB) teamed up to find a solution to understand Parkinson’s disease which is a common neurodegenerative disease with no cure.
- The union HRD minister has launched7 titles on “Psycho-Social Impact of Pandemic & Lockdown and How to Cope With” under corona studies published by National Book Trust. Who is the present HRD minister?
1) Prakash Javadekar
2) Smriti Irani
3) Harsh Vardhan
4) Nirmala Sitharaman
5) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
Answer-5) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
Union HRD (Human Resource Development) Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank e-Launched print as well as e-editions of the set of 7 titles on “Psycho-Social Impact of pandemic & lockdown and how to Cope With” under the corona studies series published by National Book Trust (NBT), India. These books will serve as guides to mental well-being of people at large.
- Name the person who authored the book titled “Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City”.
1) Lu Xun
2) Mo Yan
3) Hua Yu
4) Yiyun Li
5) Fang Fang
Answer-5) Fang Fang
The book titled as “Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City” authored by Chinese literary writer Fang Fang is a compilation of online diary entries and social media posts that document 60 days of lockdown during COVID-19. The book was released in India in an ebook format on May 15, 2020, published by HarperNonFiction, the audio will follow on May 26.
- When was International Day of Light organised by UNESCO observed annually(anniversary of the first successful operation of the laser in 1960 by Theodore Maiman)?
1) May 14
2) May 20
3) May 18
4) May 16
5) May 22
Answer-4) May 16
The International Day of Light (IDL) is celebrated every year on May 16 globally. The day marks the anniversary of the first successful operation of the laser in 1960 by physicist and engineer, Theodore Maiman. The day was organized by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) which celebrates the role light plays in science, culture, art, education and sustainable development as well as in the fields of medicines, communications & energy.
- Which of the following day was observed annually on May 16 in India suggested by the Union Health Ministry?
1) National Dengue Day
2) National Cholera Day
3) National Polio Day
4) National Diabetes Day
5) National TB Day
Answer-1) National Dengue Day
On 16th May Every year India observes National Dengue Day suggested by the Union Health Ministry to create awareness about measures on dengue prevention and to control the spread of the vector-borne disease and preparedness before the transmission season of dengue begins.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- The Brahmaputra river originates in which country?
China on Friday began sharing with India hydrological data for the Brahmaputra river, an annual practice during the monsoon which is crucial for generating information on floods in northeast India, officials said. The data is being shared from three hydrological stations — Nugesha, Yangcun and Nuxia — lying on the mainstream of the Brahmaputra, known as Yarlung Zangbo in China, officials in the Jal Shakti Ministry said.It originates in Himalayan Lake Manasarover in Tibet. The Brahmaputra River System (3848 km) is one of the longest rivers of the world. It is known as the Yarlung Tsangpo River in Tibet, the Brahmaputra, Lohit, Siang, and Dihang in India, and the Jamuna in Bangladesh.
- Bhadla Solar Park is located in which state?
4) Madhya Pradesh
5) Uttar Pradesh
The Bhadla Solar Park in Rajasthan is the world’s largest such installation to date, covering more than 14,000 acres with total capacity of 2,245 megawatts (MW).
- Where is CSIR – Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) located?
The Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology or CCMB is an Indian fundamental life science research establishment located in Hyderabad that operates under the aegis of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
- Papikonda National park is located in which state?
3) Andhra Pradesh
5) Tamil Nadu
Answer-3) Andhra Pradesh
Papikonda National Park is located near Rajamahendravaram in the Papi Hills in East Godavari and West Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh, and covers an area of 1,012.86 km². It is an Important Bird and Biodiversity Area and home to some endangered species of flora and fauna.
- Who is the director general of UNESCO?
1) Anuradha Prasad
3) David Malpass
4) Audrey Azoulay
5) António Guterres
Answer-4) Audrey Azoulay
Audrey Azoulay is a French civil servant and politician who served as France’s Minister of Culture from 2016 to 2017. She is the present director general of UNESCO.