AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 13 & 14 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Where did the chairman and managing director (CMD) of NHPC limited, A.K. Singh laid foundation stone for Indo- Nepal link canal, on December, 2020?
1) Tanakpur Hydro Power Station
2) Sipat Thermal Power Plant
3) Koyna Hydroelectric Project
4) Kakatiya Thermal Power Station
5) Singareni Thermal Power ProjectAnswer-1) Tanakpur Hydro Power Station
On 8th december, 2020 the chairman and managing director (CMD) of NHPC limited, A.K. Singh, has laid foundation stone of head regulator works of indo-nepal link canal at barrage of 94.2 mw tanakpur power station of nhpc at uttarakhand. this project is constructed under the “Mahakali treaty” signed between india and nepal. Hydropower Project constructed on the Sharda River also known as Mahakali River in Nepal.
- Which government body has been appointed as Implementation partner for socio-economic profiling of the beneficiaries of PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi)?
1) Confederation of Indian Industry(CII)
2) Quality Council of India (QCI)
3) Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)
4) Chartered Quality Institute (CQI)
5) Indian Register Quality Systems (IRQS)Answer-2) Quality Council of India (QCI)
On 11th December 2020, the Central Government launched a program for socio-economic profiling of the beneficiaries of PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) scheme, a special micro-credit facility for street vendors, to support them with the benefits of other government schemes based on their eligibility. Quality Council of India (QCI) has been appointed as implementing partner for the programme.
- What is the name of India’s 1st indigenous messenger Ribonucleic acid(mRNA) vaccine candidate that got approval for Phase I/II human clinical trials from Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI)?
5) BNT162b2Answer-4) HGCO19
On December 11, 2020 Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) gave approval for India’s 1st indigenous messenger Ribonucleic acid(mRNA) vaccine candidate, HGCO19 to initiate Phase I/II human clinical trials. It was developed by Gennova Biopharmaceuticals Ltd in collaboration with HDT Biotech Corporation, Seattle, USA.
- Over which river the 1.5 km long Koilwar Bridge was constructed that recently got inaugurated by Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari on December, 2020?
1) Sone river
2) Tapi river
3) Narmada river
4) Koshi river
5) Betwa riverAnswer-1) Sone river
On 10th December, 2020 Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the Rs.266 crores 3 lane 1.5 km long Koilwar Bridge over Sone river in Bihar through video conferencing. Construction of the 6 lane Bridge to connect Bihar and Uttar Pradesh through road. 3 lanes of the total 6 were opened for the public after the inauguration. The bridge is aimed at reducing the traffic on NH-922 and NH-30.
- Which is the most searched word in India as per the Google Trends 2020?
1) Corona virus
4) Narendra Modi
5) Sushant Singh RajputAnswer-3) IPL
As per Google, coronavirus appeared in the top 10 overall list of trending terms this year globally. In India, however, the Indian Premier League (IPL) came out on top, beating even the US Presidential elections 2020.
- Which refugees will be benefited by India’s recent contribution of US$ 2 million on behalf of Government of India to United Nations Relief programme, on December, 2020?
1) Rohingya refugee
2) Palestine refugees
3) Afghan refugees
4) Syrian refugees
5) Venezuelan refugeesAnswer-2) Palestine Refugees
On December 10, 2020, the Representative of India to the State of Palestine, Sunil Kumar, presented a contribution of US$ 2 million on behalf of the Government of India (GoI) to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA). This funding is meant to support the UNRWA programme and services for Palestine refugees which include education, health care, relief and social services. With this contribution, the total funding by India to the agency has reached US$ 5 million in 2020.
- Which disease remained as the Top Cause of death at the Global level over the period 2000-19 in World Health Organization’s (WHO) 2019 Global Health Estimates?
2) Kidney Diseases
4) Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
5) Ischaemic Heart DiseaseAnswer-5) Ischaemic Heart Disease
According to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) 2019 Global Health Estimates, Ischaemic Heart Disease remained the Top Cause of death at the Global level over the period 2000-19, it is responsible for 16% of World’s total deaths. The study has also stated that Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) constitute 7 of the World’s Top 10 causes of death. Based on Total Number of lives lost the global causes are grouped into 3 broad topics – cardiovascular, respiratory and neonatal conditions.
Top 3 diseases- Ischaemic Heart Disease, Stroke, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
- Which country has decided to set up a task force on Energy, to identify specific projects in India’s energy sector for investments on December, 2020?
3) Saudi Arabia
5) TurkeyAnswer-1) Qatar
On December 11, 2020, India and Qatar have decided to set up a task force on Energy, to identify specific projects in India’s energy sector for investments by Qatar. It was informed by Union Minister Dharmendra Debendra Pradhan, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. This decision was taken during a telecall between Dharmendra Pradhan and Sherida Al-Kaabi, Qatar’s Minister of State for Energy Affairs and President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Qatar Petroleum.
- 5th Round of Foreign Office Consultations (FOCs) was held virtually between India and _______.
5) IranAnswer-4) Cyprus
On December 11, 2020, The 5th Round of Foreign Office Consultations (FOCs) was held virtually between India & Cyprus. Neeta Bhushan, Joint Secretary (Central Europe) led the Indian side and Thessalia Salina Shambos, Political Director, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Republic of Cyprus led the Cypriot side. Both Countries reviewed the progress of cooperation in the areas of Politics, Economics, Consular, Culture and agreed to strengthen ties.
- Which country will host the Special Annual Meeting 2021 of World Economic Forum (WEF)?
5) SwitzerlandAnswer-3) Singapore
The Organisers of the World Economic Forum (WEF) have announced that Singapore will host the Special Annual Meeting 2021 of WEF from May 13-16, 2021. This will be the first time that the WEF Special Annual meeting is taking place in Asia and the second time that meeting is being held outside Davos, Switzerland. The first meeting outside Davos, Switzerland being the 2002 edition, when it was held in New York. The Special Annual meeting will return to Davos-Klosters, Switzerland for 2022 Edition.
- Which Bank has partnered with Haqdarshak Empowerment Solutions Private Limited to help Indian MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) to recover from COVID-19 pandemic through Haqdarshak MSME platform?
1) DBS Bank India Ltd
3) OCBC Bank
4) United Overseas Bank
5) Standard CharteredAnswer-1)DBS Bank India Ltd
On December 11, 2020 DBS Bank India Ltd. (DBIL) partnered with Haqdarshak Empowerment Solutions Private Limited to help Indian MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) to recover from COVID-19 pandemic. This aid will happen through the newly launched Haqdarshak MSME platform. It provides information about the government schemes like- Loan schemes of Small Industries Development Bank of India(SIDBI) for MSMEs, Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme Prime Minister(PM) Street vendor’s AtmaNirbhar Nidhi Yojana (PM SVANidhi), etc.,
- Where will the India Ammunition Project start its operation in August, 2021 between Stumpp Schuele & Somappa India (SSS Defence) and Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos (CBC) Brazil?
1) Tamil Nadu
2) Uttar Pradesh
5) Andhra PradeshAnswer-5) Andhra Pradesh
The Production of ammunition under the JV between Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos (CBC) Brazil, the world’s second-largest ammunition manufacturer, and Stumpp Schuele & Somappa India (SSS Defence) will be initiated in August 2021. It was announced by the Fernando Saim of CBC. SS-CBC India Ammunition project will Start Operations in August 2021, in Andhra Pradesh. CBC will follow Brazil’s “Triple-Helix” which focuses on innovation and R&D (Research & Development) for the army, navy and air force.
- What is the targeted defence export amount set by India for the next 5 years?
1) USD 3 Billion
2) USD 10 Billion
3) USD 7 Billion
4) USD 2 Billion
5) USD 5 BillionAnswer-5) USD 5 Billion
India is organizing a series of webinars with friendly foreign countries to boost defence exports and to achieve the defence export target of $5 billion in the next five years. In this regard, on December 8, 2020, the first webinar between India and Brazil was held on the theme “Indian Defence Industry Global Outreach for Collaborative Partnership: Webinar and Expo”.
- Which Country has signed 9 Agreements with India in its first High level bilateral virtual summit that was co-chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to establish close friendship and strong partnership between the Nations in the post COVID-19 world?
5) UzbekistanAnswer-5) Uzbekistan
On December 11, 2020 the first bilateral virtual summit between India and Uzbekistan was co-chaired by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi and President of the Republic of Uzbekistan Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev to discuss the entire gamut of bilateral relationship, including strengthening India-Uzbekistan cooperation in the post-COVID-19 world between both nations. Both sides also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest. Both nations have set a target to boost USD 1 billion for bilateral trade in the next few years. Indian side confirmed the approval of USD 448 million of Line of Credit (LoC) for four developmental projects in Uzbekistan.
Important fields of cooperation- Counter-Terrorism, Uzbek-Indian free pharmaceutical zone, Uzbekistan-India Business Council, International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC).
- What is the name of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between World Health Organization (WHO) & International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) on December, 2020?
1) Red Cross Agreement
2) Bretton Woods Agreement
3) Red Channel Agreement
4) Seville Agreement
5) International Regulation AgreementAnswer-3) Red Channel Agreement
The World Health Organization (WHO) & International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) known as ‘Red Channel Agreement’ for the implementation of Emergency Medical Team (EMT) initiative. EMT initiative will strengthen the delivery of emergency medical and health services during humanitarian crises. The agreement recognizes IFRC’s Emergency Response Units as EMTs.
- Who received the Bharathi Award 2020 on the International Bharathi Festival 2020, to celebrate the 138th birth anniversary of a Tamil Poet ,Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathi?
2) R. P. Sethu Pillai
3) Seeni Viswanathan
5) Bharathi SukumaranAnswer-3) Seeni Viswanathan
On December 11, 2020 Prime Minister(PM) Narendra Modi addressed the International Bharathi Festival 2020 through video conferencing. The festival was organised by the Vanavil Cultural Centre to celebrate the 138th birth anniversary of Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathi, a Tamil writer, poet, journalist, Indian independence activist and social reformer. During the event, Seeni Viswanathan was named as the winner of Bharathi Award 2020.The award is presented since 1994.
- Who became the 1st Non-Indian to win the Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians 2020?
1) Marcelo Viana
2) Yakov “Yasha” Eliashberg
3) Joseph Keller
4) Carolina Araujo
5) Maryam MirzakhaniAnswer-4) Carolina Araujo
On 9th December 2020, Dr. Carolina Araujo, Brazilian Mathematician from the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IMPA), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil was named as the winner of Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians 2020 from developing countries in a virtual ceremony. She is the 1st non-Indian women mathematician to receive this prize. The Prize carries a cash award of USD 15,000. Reason of the Prize She won the prize for her outstanding work in algebraic geometry, especially in bilateral geometry, and in the theory of extremal rays.
- Who led the Indian delegates in the 5th India- Myanmar Bilateral Meeting on Drug Control Cooperation that was held virtually?
1) Alok Verma
2) Ajit Doval
3) Rakesh Asthana
4) Ranjit Sinha
5) Anil SinhaAnswer-3) Rakesh Asthana
On December 11, 2020, the 5th India- Myanmar Bilateral Meeting on Drug Control Cooperation between the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), India and the Central Committee on Drug Abuse Control, Myanmar was held virtually. Indian delegates were led by the Director General (DG) Narcotics Control Bureau, Rakesh Asthana.
The issue of trafficking of Heroin and Amphetamine Type Stimulants (ATS) in India was highlighted during the meet as there is high prevalence of drug abuse in the North Eastern (NE) States bordering Myanmar. Also, the maritime route in Bay of Bengal is being used for drug trafficking. It was also decided that the 6th India – Myanmar Bilateral Meeting on Drug Control Cooperation will be held in India in 2021.
- Between which countries, the 8th meeting of Joint Steering Committee (JSC) on Cooperation in the Power sector took place virtually on December, 2020?
1) India and Bhutan
2) Bhutan and Nepal
3) Nepal and China
4) India and Nepal
5) India and BangladeshAnswer-4) India and Nepal
On December 11, 2020, the 8th meeting of Joint Steering Committee (JSC) on Cooperation in the Power sector was held virtually. The meeting was chaired by Sanjiv Nandan Sahai, Power Secretary, Government of India & Dinesh Kumar Ghimire, Secretary (Energy) of Nepal. JSC is the supreme bilateral mechanism for coordinating Government-to-Government initiatives in the Power Sector.
Discussions regarding cross border trade of electricity, construction of 900 MegaWatt Arun-III Hydro Electric Project in Nepal, Completion of South Asia’s 1st Cross Border 400 KV Transmission line in Muzaffarpur-Dhalkebar took place in the meeting.
- Who represented India in the World Bank Inter Ministerial Meeting on Vaccination of South Asia against COVID-19, on December, 2020?
1) Narendra Modi
2) Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank
3) Nirmala Sitharaman
4) Harsh Vardhan
5) Prakash JavadekarAnswer-4) Harsh Vardhan
On December 10, 2020 Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare virtually addressed the World Bank Inter Ministerial Meeting on Vaccination of South Asia against COVID-19. India has partnered with various international institutions like Oxford University (United Kingdom) & Thomas Jefferson University (United States of America) for vaccine research.
The 3 indigenous vaccine are – Covishield (developed by Serum Institute of India (SII)), Covaxin (developed by Bharat Biotech) & ZyCoV-D (Cadila Healthcare).
- Which organizations conducted India’s 1st LGBT + (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans +) Workplace Equality Index, “India Workplace Equality Index Top Employers 2020 Report” based on the India Workplace Equality Index (IWEI)?
1) Keshav Suri Foundation
2) Pride Circle
3) Stonewall & FICCI
4) only 1 and 3
5) only 1, 2 and 3Answer-5) only 1, 2 and 3
On December 10, 2020, India’s 1st LGBT + (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans +) Workplace Equality Index, “India Workplace Equality Index Top Employers 2020 Report” based on the India Workplace Equality Index (IWEI) Index was launched virtually by KSF (Keshav Suri Foundation), Pride Circle, Stonewall & FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry). Based on the IWEI Index, Employers are given a score and are celebrated as either Gold, Silver or Bronze IWEI Top Employers.
- Which country become the 2nd to plant their National Flag on Moon’s Surface?
5) ChinaAnswer-5) China
China’s Chang’e-5 probe planted the Chinese National Flag on the Moon’s Surface. The United States was the first country to plant its National Flag on the Lunar surface during the manned Apollo 11 mission in 1969. Chang’e-5 planted the flag before starting on its return journey from the moon. It is carrying China’s first Lunar Samples.
- Who claims to have built the fastest quantum computer in the world on December, 2020?
5) MicrosoftAnswer-3) China
Chinese scientists claim to have built a quantum computer that is able to perform certain computations nearly 100 trillion times faster than the world’s most advanced supercomputer, representing the first milestone in the country’s efforts to develop the technology. The researchers have built a quantum computer prototype that is able to detect up to 76 photons through Gaussian boson sampling, a standard simulation algorithm, the state-run Xinhua news agency said, citing research published in Science magazine. Google said last year it has built a computer that could perform a computation in 200 seconds.
- Which organisation released the Book ‘Putting Farmers First’ on December, 2020?
1) Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
2) Ministry of AYUSH
3) Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
4) Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
5) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate ChangeAnswer-3) Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
On December 10, 2020 The Bureau of Outreach and Communication (BOC) of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting(I&B) released a booklet, ‘Putting Farmers First’. It highlights the reforms introduced by the government of India in the agriculture sector through the recent 3 farm laws enacted and also the various steps taken since 2014 for the farmers’ welfare.
- In which sport, the Famous Italian sportsperson Paolo Rossi belongs to?
1) Ice Hockey
4) Beach Volleyball
5) SkiingAnswer-3) Football
On December 10, 2020 Paolo Rossi, Italian footballer, passed away at the age of 64. He became the star of 1982 FIFA World Cup held in Spain by scoring 6 goals, which led Italy to win the 1982 world cup title. He was born on 23rd September 1956 in Prato, Italy. Paolo Rossi received the 1982 World Cup’s Golden Boot and Golden Ball. He scored 20 goals in in 48 senior international caps for Italy.
- When was the United Nations(UN)’s International Day of Neutrality is annually observed?
1) 10th December
2) 12th December
3) 15th December
4) 30th November
5) 29th NovemberAnswer-2) 12th December
The United Nations(UN)’s International Day of Neutrality is annually observed across the globe on 12th December to promote neutrality among countries and to highlight the importance of peace and develop mutually benefiting relationships between countries. UNGA adopted the resolution “Permanent Neutrality of Turkmenistan” on 12th December 1995, it is the only Country in the world, which got the Permanent Neutrality from the United Nations.
- When was the United Nations(UN)’s International Universal Health Coverage Day(UHCDAY) 2020 is observed with the theme Health for All: Protect Everyone?
1) 10th December
2) 12th December
3) 15th December
4) 30th November
5) 29th NovemberAnswer-2) 12th December
The United Nations(UN)’s International Universal Health Coverage Day(UHCDAY) is annually observed across the globe on 12th December to raise awareness about the need for a strong and resilient health system and universal health coverage with multi stakeholder partners.The day also marks the anniversary of the UN’s endorsement of Universal health coverage in 2012.The theme of International UHCDAY 2020 is Health for All: Protect Everyone.
- Which UNESCO World Heritage site got protective ring from Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to avoid damage through public contact?
1) Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi
2) Jain Temples, Khajuraho
3) Mahabodhi Temple, Bodh Gaya
4) Buland Darwaza, Fatehpur Sikri
5) Stone chariot, HampiAnswer-5) Stone chariot, Hampi
Tourists can no longer get too close to the iconic stone chariot in front of the Vijaya Vittala Temple in the UNESCO World Heritage site of Hampi. The architectural marvel has been cordoned off by a protective ring by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). The barrier aimed at preventing people from touching or climbing the monument, causing damage in any way.
- Which is also known as Mini Kaziranga?
1) Hoollongapar Gibbon Sanctuary
2) Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
3) Dibru Saikhowa National Park
4) Bura-Chapori Wildlife Sanctuary
5) Chakrashila Wildlife SanctuaryAnswer-2) Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary is often called ‘Mini Kaziranga’ because of similar landscape and a sizeable population of the one-horned rhino. Orang National Park, Assam is also called ‘Mini Kaziranga’ because of the highly enriched in wildlife which consists of one-horned Rhino, tiger, elephant, leopard, deer, sambar in the region.
- What does ‘A’ stands for in the BEAM electronic spot platform launched by Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) on December, 2020?
5) AgriculturalAnswer-5) Agricultural
On December 11, 2020 BSE (formerly known as Bombay Stock Exchange), through its subsidiary BSE Investments Ltd., launched ‘BSE E-Agricultural Markets Ltd.(BEAM)’, an electronic spot platform for agricultural commodities. The platform will commence beta operations from December 11, 2020. BEAM is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The CEO of BEAM is Rajesh Kumar Sinha.
- What is the name of the software acquired by Maharashtra Police from Interpol to track down online child pornography?
2) INTERPOL Face Recognition System (IFRS)
3) Crime and Criminal Tracking Networks and Systems (CCTNS)
5) LogicAnswer-1) Crawler
The cyber wing of the Maharashtra Police recently acquired a software from Interpol that would help them track down child pornography uploaded online. The Interpol has a software that uses various mechanisms like detecting nudity in images, recognising age of the person through facial structures, among other filters. Based on these filters, the software ‘crawler’ scans the net looking for such images, videos and text.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the current President of the Republic of Uzbekistan on December, 2020?
1) Kassym-Jomart Tokayev
2) Islam Karimov
3) Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev
4) Karim Massimov
5) Nursultan NazarbayevAnswer-3) Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev
Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev is an Uzbek politician who has served as President of Uzbekistan and Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Uzbekistan since 2016.
- What is the currency of Myanmar?
5) KipAnswer-4) Kyat
The kyat is the currency of Myanmar. It is often abbreviated as “K” or “Ks”.
- What is the capital city of Cyprus?
5) MinskAnswer-4) Nicosia
Nicosia, also known as Lefkosia, is the divided capital city of Cyprus.
- Who is the current chairman of World Economic Forum (WEF)?
1) Klaus Schwab
2) Tedros Adhanom
3) António Guterres
4) Ahmed Mohammed Al Saidi
5) Lee Hsien LoongAnswer-1) Klaus Schwab
Klaus Martin Schwab is a German engineer and economist best known as the founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
- Where is the Headquarters of International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) located?
1) Brasilia, Brazil
2) Geneva, Switzerland
3) Vienna, Austria
4) Prague, Czech Republic
5) Budapest, HungaryAnswer-2) Geneva, Switzerland
The Headquarters of International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) located at Geneva, Switzerland.