AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 12 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- What is the name of the mission launched by government of India (Defence and External affairs ministry collab) to send medical aid to five Island nations in the Indian Ocean?
1) Mission Dhanyawad
2) Mission Karwar
3) Mission Dakshin Dhruv
4) Mission Sagar
5) Mission India
Answer-4) Mission Sagar
The government of India (GOI) has initiated a “Mission Sagar” as a part of their efforts to send medical aid to five Island nations in the Indian Ocean amid COVID-19 pandemic. In this regard Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kesari departed for Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros, to provide Food items, COVID related Medicines including Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) Tablets and Special Ayurvedic Medicines with Medical Assistance Teams. This mission is launched in coordination with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), and other agencies of GOI.
- The ministry of petroleum and natural gas has set up a 6-member panel recently to review the existing Production Sharing Contracts (PSCs) due to the fall in crude oil prices. Who is the present Petroleum and Natural gas minister?
1) Thawar Chand Gehlot
2) Dharmendra Pradhan
3) Mahendra Nath Pandey
4) Piyush Goyal
5) Giriraj Singh
Answer-2) Dharmendra Pradhan
The ministry of petroleum and natural gas has set up a 6-member panel to review the existing Production Sharing Contracts (PSCs) due to the fall in crude oil prices and the COVID-19 lockdown. Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas– Dharmendra Pradhan.
- The New Delhi based National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) has launched a virtual program called “NGMA KE SANGRAH SE”. The NGMA functions under which ministry?
1) Minister of Women and Child Development
2) Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
3) Ministry of Culture
4) Minister of External Affairs
5) Minister of Minority Affairs
Answer-3) Ministry of Culture
National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) New Delhi, the premier institute in the country that houses modern and contemporary Indian art, has launched a virtual program called “NGMA KE SANGRAH SE” to showcase an iconic and rare collection of artifacts from its repository. The event is based on various weekly/ daily themes & for the current week, the theme is ‘Artist by Artists’ and dedicated it to Poet Rabindranath Tagore, whose 159th birth anniversary was celebrated on 7th May 2020. The NGMA works under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India (GoI).
- With which organisation the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has partnered to deliver COVID-19 test kits?
1) India Post
2) National Highway Authority of India
3) Indian Patent Office
4) All-India Radio
5) Indian Roads Construction Corporation
Answer-1) India Post
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the apex body in India for the formulation and promotion of biomedical research, has entered in to the partnership with India Post to deliver corona test kits from its 16 regional depots (located in 14 postal circles/states) to the 200 additional labs set by ICMR in the country.
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) signed a MoU with which organisation to collaborate in programmes of each organisation to promote the tribal enterprises?
1) Art of Living
2) Kala Academi
3) Isha Foundation
4) Asiatic Society
5) National Archives of India
Answer-1) Art of Living
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Art of Living (AOL) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU)to collaborate in programmes of each organisation to promote the tribal enterprises.
- Name the Chief Minister of Nagaland who has presented a state budget of Rs. 21049.87 crore for the fiscal 2020-21.
1) Prem Singh Tamang
2) Pema Khandu
3) Hemant Soren
4) Neiphiu Rio
5) Biplab Kumar Deb
Answer-4) Neiphiu Rio
Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, who also holds the charge of the finance portfolio, presented a state budget of Rs. 21049.87 crore for the fiscal 2020-21.
- Name the 1st state in the country which provides the facility of beds with ventilators in hospitals of each and every district of state?
3) Madhya Pradesh
4) Uttar Pradesh
Answer-4) Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh (UP) has become the first state in the country to provide the facility of beds with ventilators in hospitals of all 75 districts of state. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19 in every village through community surveillance, the government has constituted a Village Supervision Committee or Gram Nigrani Samiti.
- Narinder Dhruv Batra to continue as president till May 2021 at international federation of which sports?
The International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced that it has extended the terms of its president Narinder Dhruv Batra & the Executive Board(EB) members which is due to end in October 2020 has been extended until the 47th FIH Congress(initially planned on 28th October- 1st November 2020 in New Delhi in May 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Name the Indian who has been conferred with Deutsche Welle Freedom of Speech Award 2020 among with 17 journalists from 14 countries.
1) Prannoy Roy
2) Shekar Gupta
3) Arnab Goswami
4) Sudhir Chaudry
5) Siddharth Varadarajan
Answer-5) Siddharth Varadarajan
On the occasion of World Press Freedom Day 2020, i.e. on May 3, 2020, 17 journalists from 14 countries have been named for Deutsche Welle Freedom of Speech Award 2020 who have disappeared or been arrested or threatened because of their reporting on the COVID-19 pandemic. Siddharth Varadarajan, one of the founding editors of non-profit online newspage The Wire, was handed a notice for appearance by a police team on April 10, 2020 following a story about a politician violating COVID-19 guidelines by participating in a religious ceremony. The Wire was accused of “causing a riot” and “leading to panic.”
- National Institute of Virology (NIV) has developed the 1st indigenous human test kit named “COVID KAVACH ELISA” for antibody detection of COVID-19. Where is NIV located?
2) New Delhi
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan informed that, Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR)-National Institute of Virology(NIV) has developed the 1st indigenous anti-Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2(SARS-CoV-2) human Immunoglobulin G(IgG) enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test kit, “COVID KAVACH ELISA” for antibody detection of COVID-19. NIV: Headquarters– Pune, Maharashtra.
- Which laboratory of DRDO has handed over the mobile COVID-19 testing lab named “PARAKH” to Mysuru Medical College and Research Institute (MMCRI)?
1) Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC)
2) Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL)
3) Defence Bio-engineering & Electro-medical Laboratory (DEBEL)
4) Centre for Air Borne System (CABS)
5) Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL)
Answer-5) Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL)
Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL), an Indian defence laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has handed over an innovative, state of the art Mobile Microbial Containment (BSL-3) Laboratory ‘PARAKH’ to the Mysuru Medical College and Research Institute (MMCRI) to test samples of coronavirus (Covid-19) at its hi-tech Viral Research and Diagnostic Laboratory (VRDL).
- Name the automated contactless Ultraviolet C (UVC) sanitisation cabinet designed to sanitize Electronic gadgets, currency notes etc, by Hyderabad based Research Centre Imarat (RCI) of DRDO.
Research Centre Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad based Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) premier lab, developed an automated contactless Ultraviolet C (UVC) sanitisation cabinet called Defence Research Ultraviolet Sanitiser (DRUVS). It has been designed to sanitise mobile phones, iPads, laptops, currency notes, cheque leafs, challans, passbooks, paper, envelopes, etc.
- With which company the ICMR ties up to develop 1st fully indigenous COVID-19 vaccine by using the virus strain isolated at the National Institute of Virology (NIV)?
2) Indian Immunologicals Limited
4) Bharat Biotech
Answer-4) Bharat Biotech
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) announced its tie-up with Bharat Biotech International Ltd (BBIL) to develop the 1st fully indigenous COVID-19 vaccine by using the virus strain isolated at the National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune. The strain has been successfully transferred from NIV to BBIL.
- Name the country which has approved a multi institutional project through its NMITLI program to develop human monoclonal antibodies (hmAbs) that can neutralize SARS-CoV-2 in patients.
2) United States
4) United Kingdom
5) South Korea
Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India through its New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative (NMITLI) program has approved a project for the development of human monoclonal antibodies (hmAbs) that can neutralize SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) in patients. It will be implemented through a collaboration of National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS) Pune; Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Indore; PredOmix Technologies Ltd, Gurugram; and Bharat Biotech International Ltd (BBIL), Hyderabad. The project will be led by Vaccines and biotherapeutics maker BBIL.
- The Sports Authority of India (SAI) has formed 6-member committee to prepare SOP for resumption of sports coaching and activities. Name the person who heads the committee.
1) SS Roy
2) BK Nayak
3) Rajesh Rajagopalan
4) Sachin K
5) Rohit Bharadwaj
Answer-5) Rohit Bharadwaj
The Sports Authority of India (SAI) formed a six-member committee to prepare a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for phased resumption of training across sporting disciplines at all the centers once the coronavirus-forced national lockdown is lifted. The six-member panel will be headed by SAI secretary Rohit Bharadwaj and will have CEO (Chief Executive Officer) Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) Rajesh Rajagopalan, Executive Director (Operations) SS Roy, SS Sarla, Col BK Nayak and Assistant Director TOPS Sachin K as its members.
- Name the person who authored the book titled “Fear of God” under pen name Vadhan.
1) Sandhya Ramakrishnan
2) Bomma devara Sai Chandravadhan
3) Raja Gopala Krishnan
4) Sudha Krishnamurthy
5) Uma Balasubramanian
Answer-2) Bomma devara Sai Chandravadhan
Bomma devara Sai Chandravadhan writes under the Pen Name, Vadhan, has authored his third book titled “Fear of God”. The book was published by TreeShade publications.
- Hari Shankar Vasudevan who passed away recently is a renowned _________.
Eminent Historian Hari Shankar Vasudevan passed away at the age of 68 in a private hospital at Kolkata after testing positive for novel coronavirus on May 6th 2020.
- The National Technology day was observed on ________ every year to commemorate the success of the Shakti-I nuclear missile tested in Pokhran.
1) May 11
2) May 17
3) May 6
4) May 31
5) June 6
Answer-1) May 11
On May 11 2020, India celebrated National Technology Day to commemorate the success of the Shakti-I nuclear missile tested in Indian Army’s Pokhran test range, Rajasthan on May 11, 1998, and also to commemorate the flight of the first indigenous aircraft Hansa-3 developed by the National aerospace laboratories. This day has been named by the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Bajpayee and celebrated since 1999. This year, on behalf of the Ministry of Science & Technology, Technology Development Board (TBD) has organised a conference to celebrate the day. The theme of the conference is ‘Rebooting the Economy through Science, Technology and Research Translations’ (RESTART).
- Indian scientists has found 3 new species of fishes under which genus in Western Ghats recently?
Scientists from the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) based in Mumbai (Maharashtra), the Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS) and the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune (Maharashtra), have jointly discovered a three new fish species under the genus ‘Dawkinsia’ namely Dawkinsia apsara, Dawkinsia austellus, Dawkinsia crassa. The discovery has been published in the international journal Vertebrate Zoology.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Netravali wildlife sanctuary which is in news recently is in which state?
Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant recently tweeted a picture of “a Black Panther” from Netravali wildlife sanctuary in South Goa. Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary is located in South-Eastern Goa, India. It constitutes one of the vital corridors of the Western Ghats and covers an area of about 211km². Netravali or Neturli is an important tributary of River Zuari, which originates in the sanctuary.
- Ntangki National Park is located in which state?
5) Arunachal Pradesh
Ntangki National Park is a national park located in Peren district of Nagaland, India.
- Who is the current Director General of Sports Authority of India (SAI)?
1) Rajeev Mehta
2) Dorab Tata
3) Narinder Batra
4) Ishan Kishan
5) Sandip Pradhan
Answer-5) Sandip Pradhan
Sandip Pradhan is the Director General of Sports Authority of India.
- Where is the HQ of International Hockey Federation (FIH) located?
3) New York
The Fédération Internationale de Hockey (English: International Hockey Federation), commonly known by the acronym FIH, is the international governing body of field hockey and indoor field hockey. Its headquarters are in Lausanne, Switzerland and the president is Narinder Batra.
- Who is the present Tribal affairs minister?
1) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
2) Smriti Irani
3) Prakash Javadekar
4) Harsh Vardhan
5) Arjun Munda
Answer-5) Arjun Munda
Arjun Munda is a Cabinet Minister of Government of India. He is the current Minister of Tribal Affairs in the Modi Ministry.