AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs Quiz 12 July 2023 to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2023 updates.
- Name the company that has recently (in July ‘23) signed an ‘Teaming Agreement'(TA) with Spain based shipbuilder Navantia to build 6 advanced diesel-electric submarines for the Indian Navy.
1) Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd
2) Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd
3) Cochin Shipyard Ltd
4) Larsen & Toubro Ltd
5) Goa Shipyard Hindustan Shipyard LtdAnswer-4) Larsen & Toubro Ltd
On 10th July 2023, Spain’s shipbuilder Navantia and engineering major Larsen & Toubro Ltd (L&T), India signed an ‘Teaming Agreement'(TA) in Delhi to jointly bid for a Rs. 43,000-crore (4.8 billion euros) project to build 6 advanced diesel-electric submarines for the Indian Navy.
• The TA was signed for the purpose of submission of a techno-commercial bid for the Indian Navy’s Project 75 (India) or P75 (I), a military acquisition initiative and submarine programme affiliated to India’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) .
• This agreement follows a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between L&T and Navantia on 11th April 2023 in Madrid, Spain to bid for the Indian Navy’s P75 (I).
• Under the agreement, Navantia will design the P75(I) submarines based on its S80 class. The first S80 submarine, launched in 2021, is undergoing sea trials and will be delivered to the Spanish Navy by end 2023.
- . In July 2023, Ahmedabad (Gujarat), the Chair City of Urban 20(U20) 2023 hosted the 2-day U20 Mayoral Summit 2023 in ___________, Gujarat.
5) PorbandarAnswer- 2) Gandhinagar
Ahmedabad (Gujarat), the Chair City of Urban 20(U20) 2023, hosted the 2-day U20 Mayoral Summit 2023 from 7th to 8th July 2023 in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The Summit concluded with the handover of the Communiqué from the Mayors to G20 leaders.
i. Kiritkumar J Parmar, Mayor of Ahmedabad handed over the Communique to Hardeep Singh Puri, Union Minister of Housing & Urban Affairs and Amitabh Kant, G20 (Group of 20) Sherpa.
ii. The handover was moderated by the U20 convenors, C40 Cities and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG).
- In July 2023, the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas announced that the Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) in __________ (state) has been elevated from the ‘Schedule B’ to ‘Schedule A’ category Central Public Sector Enterprises(CPSE) by the Government of India.
5) AssamAnswer-5) Assam
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas in its recent notification announced that the largest refinery in northeast India, The Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) in Assam has been elevated from the ‘Schedule B’ to ‘Schedule A’ category Central Public Sector Enterprises(CPSE) by Government of India.
i. With its new status as a ‘Schedule A’ enterprise, NRL becomes eligible to achieve the coveted Navratna As a Navratna company, NRL will have the freedom to invest up to Rs 1,000 crore without seeking approval from the central government.
ii. NRL will now have the authority to make swift decisions concerning joint ventures, strategic partnerships, and special-purpose vehicles, paving the way for strategic growth.
- Name the company that has recently (in July ‘23) signed a contract with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) for procurement of 2 Dornier Aircraft for Indian Coast Guard (ICG).
1) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
2) Bharat Dynamics Limited
3) Airnetz Aviation Private Limited
4) Aroon Aviation Services Private Limited
5) Bharat Electronics LimitedAnswer-1) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
On 7th July 2023, Ministry of Defence (MoD) signed a contract with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for procurement of 2 Dornier Aircraft for Indian Coast Guard (ICG). The overall cost is Rs 458.87 crore along with associated Engineering Support package.
i. The aircraft will be procured under the Buy (Indian) Category in New Delhi, Delhi in line with the Aatmanirbhar Bharat policy.
Note- The Dornier aircraft are being indigenously manufactured at HAL (Transport Aircraft Division), Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh under “Make in India” initiative.
- In July 2023, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a ‘Draft Circular – Arrangements with Card Networks for issue of Debit, Credit and Prepaid Cards’ empowering the debit, credit, and prepaid card users in India with Card network portability with effect from ____________.
1) 1st December 2023
2) 1st October 2023
3) 1st September 2023
4) 1st November 2023
5) 1st August 2023Answer- 2) 1st October 2023
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a ‘Draft Circular – Arrangements with Card Networks for issue of Debit, Credit and Prepaid Cards’ empowering the debit, credit, and prepaid card users in India with Card network portability w.e.f. October 1st, 2023.
• This means users can port their card network just like one can port switch/port mobile service providers while retaining the same phone number.
• The Card network portability will keep their existing card accounts, balances, and credit history intact.
• The RBI has invited opinions from various stakeholders for the same up to August 4, 2023.
i. This decision by RBI has been taken in exercise of its powers conferred under Section 18 read with Section 10(2) of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007 (Act 51 of 2007), by ensuring the interest of payment system and public interest.
- Which of the following Indian Origin personalities was ‘Not’ featured on Forbes America’s Richest Self-Made Women 2023, released in July 2023?
1) Neerja Sethi
2) Jayshree Ullal
3) Neha Narkhede
4) Leena Nair
5) Indra NooyiAnswer-4) Leena Nair
4 Indian Americans, Jayshree Ullal, President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Arista Networks, Neerja Sethi, co-Founder of Syntel, Neha Narkhede, co-founder of Confluent, and Indra Nooyi, former chair and CEO of PepsiCo, were featured on the 2023 America’s Richest Self-Made Women, 9th edition of Forbes’ annual ranking of the United States of America (USA)’s most successful women entrepreneurs, executives and entertainers.
i. Jayshree Ullal is ranked 15th with net worth of USD 2.2 billion, Neerja Sethi, is ranked 25th with net worth of USD 990 million, Neha Narkhede is ranked 50th with net worth of USD 520 million and Indra Nooyi is ranked 77th with net worth of USD 350 million
• The combined net worth of these 4 women stands at USD 4.06 Billion.
ii. The list is topped by Diane Hendricks, Chairman and founder of ABC Supply Co., Inc. (ABC), for the 6th consecutive year, with a net worth of USD 15 billion.
- Name the company that has recently (in July ‘23) declared the Winner of the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) award for the year 2023 in “Timely Payments (CPSEs)” category.
1) NTPC Limited
2) Power Grid Corporation of India
3) NLC India Limited
4) Coal India Limited
5) Oil India LimitedAnswer-3) NLC India Limited
NLC India Limited (NLCIL), a Navratna company under the Ministry of Coal, as been declared the Winner of the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) award for the year 2023 in “Timely Payments (CPSEs)” category for promoting and encouraging business activities through e-Market.
i. K Mohan Reddy, Director (Planning and Projects), received the award on behalf of NLCIL from Piyush Goyal, Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution & Textiles.
- Who has recently (in July ‘23) re-elected as the President of Uzbekistan for a 7 year term?
1) Shavkat Mirziyoyev
2) Khatamjon Ketmonov
3) Narimon Umarov
4) Abdullah Karimov
5) Sarvar OtamuradovAnswer-1) Shavkat Mirziyoyev
On 9th July 2023, the incumbent Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev was re-elected with 87.1 % of the vote for a 7 years term according to preliminary results released by the Central Election Committee(CEC) of the Republic of Uzbekistan. He is a member of the UzLiDeP (Uzbekistan Liberal Democratic Party).
i. On 30th April 2023, the Uzbek President called for snap election in which Uzbek citizens voted on constitutional amendments through a referendum which reset his term count and extended the presidential term to seven years from five.
- Who has recently (in July ‘23) became the Managing Director (MD) of Microsoft India following the resignation of Anant Maheshwari as Microsoft India President?
1) Aneesh Mehta
2) Deepak Pratinidhi
3) Anand Gupta
4) Ira Gupta
5) Irina GhoseAnswer-5) Irina Ghose
Microsoft India promoted Irina Ghose as its Managing Director (MD), while Anant Maheshwari stepped down from his position as Microsoft India President.
i. As part of the executive reshuffle, Navtez Singh Bal has been appointed as the new Chief Operating Officer (COO). He was earlier heading the Government, Public Sector and Education Business for Microsoft in India which is now taken care of by Venkat Krishnan.
- When was United Nations (UN)’s World Population Day 2023 observed across the globe?
1) 9th July 2023
2) 11th July 2023
3) 8th July 2023
4) 10th July 2023
5) 7th July 2023Answer- 2) 11th July 2023
The United Nations (UN)’s World Population Day 2023 was observed across the globe on 11th July 2023 with the theme of “Unleashing the power of gender equality: Uplifting the voices of women and girls to unlock our world’s infinite possibilities“.
i. World Population Day was first observed on 11th July 1990 across the globe in more than 90 countries.
ii. The UNFPA’s 2023 State of World Populationreport illustrates that, on 15th November 2022, the world’s population surpassed 8 billion people.
• As per the UNFPA report: More than 40% of women around the world cannot make decisions on sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights.
• A woman dies every 2 minutes due to pregnancy or childbirth.