We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 24 February 2022, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2022 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs January 2022 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
We are Hiring – Subject Matter Expert | CA Video Creator | Content Developers(Pondicherry)
Click here for Current Affairs 23 February 2022
Ministry of Education Approves Extension of NMMSS for 5 Years (2021-22 to 2025-26)
The Ministry of Education (MoE) has approved the continuation of the Central Sector National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship (NMMSS) over the 15th Finance Commission cycle for 5 years (2021-22 to 2025-26), intending to provide scholarships to 14.76 lakh students with financial outlay of Rs. 1827.00 crore that holds minor changes in eligibility criteria such as increasing income ceiling.
- Objective – To award economically weaker students who are meritorious inorder to reduce drop-outs at the 8th grade and to encourage them to continue their education at a secondary stage.
- The income ceiling under the eligibility criteria for the scholarship has been changed from Rs.1.5 lakh per annum to Rs.3.5 lakh per annum and the renewal criteria under the scheme were also revised.
- Since its inception in 2008-09, 22.06 lakh scholarships have been sanctioned till 2020-21, at a total cost of Rs 1783.03 crore.
i.The student must have a minimum of 55 % marks or equivalent grade in Class VII examination for appearing in the selection test for award of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC and ST students).
- The National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship (NMMSS) is boarded on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
ii.The student should be studying as a regular student in Government, Government-aided and local body schools.
i.The students are selected for the scholarship through an exam conducted by the state and Union Territory (UT) government.
ii.Every year, 1 lakh fresh scholarships of Rs. 12,000 per annum (Rs.1000 per month) per student will be provided for students in Class 9, with the possibility of continuation/renewal in Classes 10 to 12, for study at state-government, government-aided, and local body institutions.
i.This is the central sector scheme (CSS) with 100% funding by the central government
ii.The students will receive the scholarship directly into their bank account through electronic transfer via the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) in Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
Union Minister – Dharmendra Pradhan (Rajya Sabha Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of state – Annpurna Devi (Kodarma,Jharkhand) ; Dr. Subhas Sarkar (Bankura, West Bengal); Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh (Inner Manipur, Manipur)
MoW&CD extends PM CARES for Children Scheme till February 28 2022
The Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoW&CD) extended the time period PM CARES scheme for Children till 28 February 2022 (earlier, valid till 31 December 2021).
- It covers all children who have not completed 18 years of age at the time of death of their parents, surviving parent, legal guardian, adoptive parents or single adoptive parent due to COVID 19 pandemic. Starting from 11 March 2020 to 28 Feb 2022.
- PM CARES – Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund.
- Applications can be submitted at https://pmcaresforchildren.in.
i.The scheme was launched on May 29, 2021. The MoW&CD is the nodal Ministry entrusted with the responsibility of facilitating the PM CARES for Children scheme, in collaboration with other Ministries, States and District Administration.
ii.It provides support through gap funding for ensuring education, health, monthly stipend from the age of 18 years.
- Around worth Rs 10 lakh of aid assistance will be provided to the beneficiary on attaining 23 years of age.
About Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoW&CD):
Cabinet minister- Smriti Zubin Irani(Constituency- Amethi, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of state-Dr. Munjpara Mahendrabhai (Constituency- Surendranagar, Gujarat)
First batch of 3 MH-60R Multi-Role Helicopters to arrive in mid-July
The first batch of three MH-60R Multi-Role Helicopters are expected to arrive India in the month of July 2022 in Kochi, Kerala. These three helicopters were already handover by the United States(US) in 2021 but Indian pilots were using these helicopters for training purpose in Pensacola, San Diego and Florida of US.
i.The Indian Navy signed a contract agreement for these helicopters with the US.
ii.The MH-60R Multi-Role helicopters will replace Sea King 42/42A helicopters, which were decommissioned in the 1990s.
- They will operate from frontline ships and aircraft carriers and provide better surveillance,crucial traits of flexibility and assault capacity to India.
iii.According to the Defense Acquisition Council (DAC), the Indian Navy will likely purchase six Kamov Ka-31 airborne and early warning helicopters from Russia.
- These helicopters are expected to be deployed on indigenous aircraft carrier INS Vikrant.
- A Contract Negotiation Committee was constituted in November 2020 and the commercial bids opened in September 2021.
Contract agreement for MH-60R helicopters:
In 2020, India signed a USD 2.2 billion deal for MH-60R helicopters built by Lockheed Martin during the visit of former U.S. President Donald Trump.
All deliveries will be completed by 2025.
About Indian Navy:
Founded- 26 January 1950
Chief of Naval Staff (CNS)-Admiral R. Hari Kumar
Motto- शं नो वरुणः (Sanskrit) meaning ‘May the Lord of Water be auspicious unto us’
Centre’s High-Powered Committee Provides National Status to Upper Bhadra Project
Karnataka Chief Minister (CM) Basavaraj Bommai announced the ‘Upper Bhadra Project’ has been given the national project status by the central government’s high-powered committee which becomes the first project in Karnataka to get the status.
- This change in status will enable Karnataka to receive Rs 12,500 crore grant from the centre and could transform central Karnataka from being water-scarce to water-rich.
Former CM BS Yediyurappa had laid the foundation stone for the Upper Bhadra project in 2008 to make Karnataka water-rich by utilising the excess water available in Krishna and Cauvery basins effectively.
- At present, water is flowing to Vani Vilas Sagar Dam, which has made the region water-rich.
About Upper Bhadra Project:
i.Upper Bhadra Project is a major lift irrigation scheme under implementation in the central region of Karnataka State which is being undertaken by ‘Visvesvaraya Jala Nigam Limited’.
- Objective – To provide a sustainable irrigation facility in the Kharif season and to recharge the groundwater table with fewer chemical contaminants like fluoride.
ii.The project received administrative approval in 2003 at an estimated cost of Rs. 2,813 crore.
iii.The project is designed to irrigate 2.25 lakh hectares in Chitradurga, Davangere, Tumakuru, and parts of Chikkamagaluru
- In the 1st stage of the project water will be lifted from Tunga to Bhadra and in the 2nd stage lifting of water will be from Bhadra reservoir, providing it to tunnel near Ajjampura through gravity canal in Tungabhadra sub-basin of Krishna basin
Governor – Thaawar Chand Gehlot
Wildlife sanctuaries – Antelope wildlife Sanctuary, Sharavathi Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary
Airport – Mysore Airport (Mandakalli airport)
6th Anniversary of SPMRM: Rural Development Ministry Approved 296 Clusters Under SPMRM21st February 2022 marked the 6th anniversary of the launch of the Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission(SPMRM), undertaken by the Ministry of Rural Development.
On 21st February 2016, Prime Minister(PM), Narendra Modi launched the SPMRM with an aim to develop 300 Rurban clusters in India by provisioning economic, social and physical infrastructure facilities.
- So far, the Ministry of Rural Development has approved 296 clusters under SPMRM.
About Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM):
Objective: To stimulate local economic development, enhance basic services, and create well planned Rurban clusters.There will be two categories of clusters under SPMRM: Non-Tribal and Tribal
Outcomes: The anticipated outcomes under the mission are,
i.Bridging the rural-urban divide through economic, technological and those related to facilities and services.
ii.Stimulating local economic development with emphasis on reduction of poverty and unemployment in rural areas.
iii.Spreading development in the region.
iv.Attracting investment in rural areas.
What is Rurban Cluster?
Rurban cluster is a cluster of geographically contiguous villages with a population of around 25000 to 50000 in plain and coastal areas and with a population of 5000 to 15000 in desert, hilly or tribal areas.
i.SPMRM focuses on cluster-based integrated development through Spatial Planning.
ii.The Rurban clusters are identified across the rural areas of India which shows the increasing signs of urbanisation.
iii.The signs include an increase in population density, high levels of non-farm employment, the presence of growing economic activities and other socioeconomic parameters.
iv.The mission aims to transform the Rurban clusters by stimulating local economic development, enhancing basic services, and creating well planned Rurban clusters.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank Partnered with ICEPL to Finance Asia’s Largest Bio-CNG Plant ‘Gobar-Dhan’
HDFC Bank has collaborated with Indore Clean Energy Private Limited (ICEPL) to fund the conversion process of 550 tonnes/day of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) into Compressed Biogas (CBG) at the Gobar-Dhan plant , the largest Bio-CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) plant in Asia located in Indore, Madhya Pradesh (MP).
- This is the largest waste to energy project funded by HDFC Bank under its ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) commitments to mitigate the adverse effects of climate change and make the bank carbon neutral by 2031-2032.
- The plant is expected to treat 50% of municipal waste generated in Indore City and convert to 100% green products (biogas and manure).
i.ICEPL is promoted by Green Growth Equity Fund (GGEF), which is the largest climate impact fund in India with investors like NIIF (National Investment and Infrastructure Fund) & Government of UK (United Kingdom).
ii.ICEPL has a 20-year concession agreement with Indore Municipal Corporation (IMC) for procurement of municipal solid waste and converting it to CBG.
iii.On February 19, 2022, Prime Minister (PM) of India Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated Gobar-Dhan plant to treat 550 tonnes/day of wet organic waste and produce 17,000 kg/day of CNG and 100 tonnes/day of organic compost.
About HDFC Bank:
Managing Director & CEO– Sashidhar Jagdishan
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Tagline– We understand your world
Edelweiss General Insurance partners Ashv Finance for MSME loan protection PlansDigital Insurer Edelweiss General Insurance (EGI) has collaborated with Ashv Finance, a tech-led NBFC to provide financial protection to the latter’s loan debtors.
- Under this, EGI will utilize Ashv Finance reach of small business owners across India and offer them easy and friendly, tech powered solutions, coupled with superior customer experience.
i.Ashv will offer timely credit to small businesses and MSMEs (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) while EGI will provide health insurance cover to all the customers of Ashv Finance in all major cities across the country.
ii.The policy will provide security against the business loan taken in case the borrower has an unfortunate incident of accident or critical illness.
- The policy will also provide daily cash benefit in case of any hospitalization.
iii.The health cover offered will depend on the loan amount and loan tenure opted by the customer.
iv.The business loan and the insurance policy will be processed together digitally and with zero paperwork.
About Edelweiss General Insurance (EGI):
Executive Director & CEO– Shanai Ghosh
Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra
About Ashv Finance:
Director & CEO– Nikesh Kumar Sinha
Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra
TripMoney Partners with SBM Bank India to Launch Global Credit CardTripMoney, the fintech arm of MakeMyTrip (MMT), and SBM Bank India have partnered to launch a rupee-denominated secure credit card, ‘TripMoney Global Card’ powered by Visa that can be used across over 150 countries.
- The card offers multiple value-added benefits, including zero forex mark-up, lifetime free validity, and 100 percent digital in-app card management.
- The customers can load money in Indian Rupee (INR) as security and also track balances in INR.
Features of the card:
i.The card has been designed with several built-in advanced security features such as instant lock and unlocks through the Mobile application while travelling.
ii.The card mainly focuses on international travellers, including the student population, who prefer lifestyle benefits with advanced digital money management features.
iii.The card does not carry any hidden charges such as currency exchange conversion across Point of Sale (POS), Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), and e-commerce websites.
iv.Cardholders can avail offers up to Rs 70,000 on MMT and Goibibo on flights, hotels and holidays.
- The cardholders are also entitled to complimentary membership of the invite-only loyalty programs of both the brands, MMT Black and GoTribe.
About SBM Bank (India):
Establishment – 1994
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Managing Director & CEO – Sidharth Rath
SIB Introduces Two New Services for Customers – SIBerNet, SIB ExpressSouth Indian Bank (SIB) has introduced two new services by enabling SIBerNet and SIB Express to enhance both ‘remittances to’ (outward remittances) and ‘remittances from’ (inward remittances).
- The online outward remittances are enabled through Net Banking and inward remittances through National Payments Corporation of India’s (NPCI’s) Unified Payment Interface (UPI) mode.
About Outward Remittances – ‘SIBerNet’
i.Resident Indian customers can initiate Online Foreign Outward Remittances 24×7 online including on holidays in USD currency through internet banking platform ‘SIBerNet’ in more than 100 currencies across the globe.
- The outward remittance request in other currencies can be initiated during market hours.
ii.Under the Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS), Reserve Bank of India (RBI) permits resident individuals to remit up to USD 2,50,000 or equivalent in other currencies in a financial year.
- The remittances could be for the purposes like family maintenance, gift, education, emigration, travel for medical treatment and private visits.
About Inward Remittances – ‘SIB Express’
The bank introduced another new service feature for inward remittances – ‘SIB Express’ which will enable Non-Resident Indian’s (NRIs) to send money to their relatives or their own Non Resident External (NRE) account / Non Resident Ordinary (NRO) account in India instantly through NPCI’s UPI mode.
- This facilitates partner exchange houses with cross border inward remittances under the Rupee Drawing Arrangement.
About South Indian Bank (SIB):
Establishment – 1946 (under the RBI Act)
Headquarters – Thrissur, Kerala
Managing Director (MD) & CEO – Murali Ramakrishnan
JICA approved Rs 1,000-crore river clean-up project in Pune
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) approved the tender for cleaning up rivers Mula, Mutha and Mula-Mutha (confluence of both rivers) of Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) area. The project will cost around Rs 1,000 Crore for pollution abatement of rivers.
To improve the water quality by augmenting sewage collection systems, sewage treatment facilities and improving sanitation in Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) area.
i.The Mula and Mutha are the most polluted city Pune, which later meets Krishna River in Western Ghats and finally empties into the Bay of Bengal.
ii.JICA will provide assistance to mitigate pollution of Mula, Mutha and Mula-Mutha and living conditions of localites.
iii.The funding assistance would be in the form of construction of sewer lines, pumping stations and treatment plants for treatment of the sewage before its discharge into Mula, Mutha and Mula-Mutha rivers.
- The project implemented would involve 55 km of trunk lines and 11 new sewage treatment plants (STP) with capacity of 396 million liters per day (MLD).
- The sewer network of over 113 km, 4 sewage pumping stations and 24 community toilets will be constructed.
Major rivers of Western Ghats:
- Krishna River- it originated from Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra.
- Bhima River- it is the major tributary of the Krishna River, flowing through Maharashtra and Karnataka states, western India.
- Godavari river-it originates from Trimbakeshwar, Nasik in Maharashtra and is the longest river in Southern India and is also known as ‘Dakshina Ganga’.
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
President- Shinichi Kitaoka
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Four Parachute Battalions Received “Presidential Colours” Award from Chief of Army Staff Gen M M NaravaneOn 23 February 2022, the Chief of Army Staff General Manoj Mukund Naravane on behalf of the President of India Ram Nath Kovind, presented “Presidential Colours or Nishan” to four Parachute battalions.
i.The ‘Colour Presentation Parade’ was held at the Parachute Regiment Training Centre (PRTC), Bengaluru, Karnataka.
ii.The four Parachute Regiment battalions that were presented President’s Colours were: 11 PARA (SPECIAL FORCE), 21 PARA (SPECIAL FORCE), 23 PARA and 29 PARA.
Presidential Colours or Nishan:
i.The Presidential Colours or Nishan is one of the greatest honours and meritorious awards presented to Military Unit in recognition of exceptional service rendered to the nation, during war and in peace.
i.The Colour Presentation Parade included the display of ‘combat free fall’ by eight paratroopers.
ii.Due to heavy winds the paramotor flying demonstration event was cancelled.
A paratrooper is a military parachutist who is trained to parachute in a military operation, and function as part of an airborne force.
About Presidential Colours or Nishan:
i.The first Presidential Colours was presented to The Indian Navy during 1951 by Dr Rajendra Prasad, the then President of India.
ii.In September 2021 the Presidential Colours was awarded to Indian Naval Aviation by Ram Nath Kovind – President of India, the event was held at INS Hansa, Goa.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
LIC Increased its Stake in CGCL From 4.959% to 5.044%
Life Insurance Corporation of India(LIC) has acquired 0.085% additional stakes of Capri Global Capital Ltd (CGCL) through market purchase and increased its stake in CGCL from 4.959% to 5.044%.
- CGCL is a Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and National Stock Exchange (NSE).
Details of acquisition:
i.LIC has acquired 150000 shares (0.085%) carrying voting rights.
ii.Following the acquisition, LIC holds an equity share capital of 35,11,96,210.
- The exchange has received the disclosure under Regulation 29(1) of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) (Substantial Acquisition of Shares & Takeovers) Regulations, 2011 for LIC.
About Capri Global Capital Ltd (CGCL):
Managing Director– Rajesh Sharma
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
About Life Insurance Corporation of India(LIC):
Chairperson– M R Kumar
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Union Minister Giriraj Singh launches PMAY Gramin Dashboard i.On February 22, 2022, Union Minister Giriraj Singh, Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) launched the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana Gramin (PMAYG) Dashboard to monitor the implementation of the scheme.
ii.This portal has been developed on the lines of the Government’s policy of Zero tolerance against corruption by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) to provide complete transparency in the implementation of the PMAYG.
iii.The dashboard will be used by the stakeholders including Sarpanchs of villages to the Members of Parliament of constituencies of PMAYG for monitoring and managerial purposes.
About Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD):
Union Minister– Giriraj Singh (Constituency- Begusarai, Bihar)
Ministers of State– Faggan Singh Kulaste (Constituency- Mandla, Madhya Pradesh); Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti (Constituency- Fatehpur, Uttar Pradesh)
>> Read Full News
NIOT: Indigenous Submersible Vehicle Matsya 6000 will be Ready in 2024 for Samudrayaan
The indigenously developed manned underwater submersible vehicle, Matsya 6000 that is capable of taking 3 humans to a depth of 6,000 metres (m), will be ready as for its launch in 2024 for the Samudrayaan Mission.
- MATSYA 6000 is an undersea submersible vehicle designed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and developed by the Ministry of Earth Sciences and NIOT under the aegis of Deep Ocean Mission (DOM).
- In October 2021, Union Minister of State, Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Jitendra Singh launched India’s first and unique manned Ocean Mission Samudrayaan that aims to send humans for deep sea exploration.
About Ministry of Earth Sciences:
Minister of state (independant charges) – Dr. Jitendra Singh (Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir)
>> Read Full News
Researchers discovered Euphlyctis Jaladhara from Western Coastal Plains of India
Researchers have discovered another new frog species named Euphlyctis Jaladhara commonly known as “Jaladhara skittering frog” from the freshwater bodies of the western coastal plains of India.
- The research was published in the international journal Zootaxa, published from New Zealand.
- The discovery was part of the Zoological Survey of India’s (WGRC, Kozhikode) faunal exploratory and documentation programme in the Thattekad Bird Sanctuary, Kerala.
i.The frog was first spotted in fresh water bodies around the Thattekad Bird Sanctuary in Ernakulam, Kerala in 2017. Later, multiple populations were identified all along the western coastal plains from Kerala to Gujarat.
- Its discovery marked “living link between the vertebrate life in water and land”.
- It looks similar to the common skittering frog (Euphlyctis cyanophlyctis), which is predominantly distributed in the eastern coastal plains, Deccan Plateau and Western Ghats.This species was discovered 220 years ago.
Note- Aquatic frog genus ‘Euphlyctis’ are bioindicators for freshwater systems.
ii.It was discovered by collaborative effort of scientists of the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), Mount Carmel College (MCC), Bengaluru, and the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
ii.In 2021, another species of frog, Kerala pond frog (Phrynoderma Kerala), was also discovered in the eastern coastal plains of Cauvery river by the same group of researchers.
Recent flora & fauna discovered in Western region of India:
Fimbristylis Sunilii and Neanotis Prabhuii – plant species discovered in the Western Ghats region in Thiruvananthapuram and Wayanad districts in Kerala.
Minervarya Pentali- frog species, endemic to the southern Western Ghats, was discovered in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Ranji Trophy 2021-22: Sakibul Gani creates World Record & Becomes 1st Cricketer to Score Triple-Century on First-Class Debut
In February 2022, Sakibul Gani, an Indian cricketer hailing from Motihari in Bihar, created a world record by becoming the first cricketer to score a triple century on his debut in a first-class match, 2021–22 Ranji Trophy.
- He scored 341 runs with 405 balls, (56 fours& 2 sixes) representing Bihar in the plate group 2021–22 Ranji Trophy fixture against Mizoram at the Jadavpur University Campus Ground, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- He made his List A debut for Bihar in October 2019.
Previously, the record of highest score on first-class debut was held by Ajay Rothera of Madhya Pradesh (267 runs in December 2018) and Amol Muzumdar of Mumbai (260 runs in 1993-1994).
National Film Awardee & Actress KPAC Lalitha Passed AwayNational Award-winning Veteran Malayalam actress Maheshwari Amma, who is well known as KPAC Lalitha(stage name), has passed away in Thripunithura in Kochi, Kerala. She was born in 1948 in Kayamkulam, Alappuzha, Kerala.
About Maheshwari Amma (KPAC Lalitha):
i.Maheshwari Amma (KPAC Lalitha) started her career as a theatre artist with Kerala People’s Arts Club (KPAC).
ii.She has starred in more than 500 films and she has also acted in Tamil films like Alaipayuthey and Kaatru Veliyidai.
iii.She has also served as the Chairperson of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi.
i.She has won 2 National Film Awards for Best Supporting Actress for Amaram in 1991 and Shantham in 2001.
ii.She has also won 4 Kerala State Film Awards for Second Best Actress.
She won the Cherukad Award in 2013 for her autobiography titled “Katha Thudarum”.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Priyam Gandhi Authored ‘A Nation To Protect’, Book About Leadership of PM Narendra Modi
Priyam Gandhi-Mody authored “A Nation To Protect”, a book about the leadership of Indian Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi tackling the Covid-19 crisis. The book was launched by Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya in presence of health ministry officials on 18 February, 2022.
About ‘A Nation To Protect’:
i.The book speaks about Mansukh Mandaviya’s role of Fertilisers Minister during the second wave of Covid-19 by ensuring proper supplies of essential medicines and Remedisvir.
ii.It also speaks about Modi’s view of India to follow ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ or self-reliance without depending on foreign vaccine manufacturers.
Works Of Priyam Gandhi-Mody
Priyam Gandhi-Mody’s interests on politics made her to write,
i.No Holds Barred: My Years in Politics, in 2019 by Narayan Rane and Priyam Gandhi-Mody.
ii.Trading Power: The Inside Story of How the People’s Mandate was Betrayed in the 2019 Maharashtra Election, 2020 by Priyam Gandhi-Mody.
iii.A Nation To Protect in 2022, published by Rupa Publications.
AEPC celebrates its 44th Foundation Day on Feb 22, 2022
On February 22, 2022, the Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC) observed its 44th Foundation Day which was virtually attended by Upendra Prasad Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Textiles as a Guest of Honour.
- During the event, it was projected that India’s textile exports can increase from the current $40 billion to $100 billion in the next five years.Apparel exports likely to breach $20 billon next fiscal(FY23) or year after that(FY24).
i.The Government is also working towards the Prime Minister Mega Integrated Textile Region and Apparel (PM MITRA) along with the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme to boost sales.
ii.AEPC is the official body of apparel exporters in India, under the aegis of Ministry of Textiles, which provides invaluable assistance to Indian exporters as well as importers/ international buyers.
- AEPC Chairman is Narendra Goenka.
11th World Pangolin Day – 19th February 2022
World Pangolin Day is annually observed across the world on the 3rd Saturday of February. The day aims to create awareness about Pangolins a unique endangered mammal and their plight.
19th February 2022 marks the observance of the 11th World Pangolin Day.
- The 10th World Pangolin day was observed on 20th February 2021.
- The 12th World Pangolin Day will be observed on 18th February 2023.
i.Pangolin comes from ‘penggulung,’ the Malay word for roller, the action a Pangolin takes in self-defence.
ii.Pangolin, covered with the hard plate-like scales made of Keratin, feed on ants and termites.
i.Eight species of pangolins are found in Africa (4) and Asia (4).
- Africa: Black-bellied pangolin (Phataginus tetradactyla); White-bellied pangolin (Phataginus tricuspis); Giant Ground pangolin (Smutsia gigantea); and Temminck’s Ground pangolin (Smutsia temminckii).
- Asia: Indian pangolin (Manis crassicaudata); Philippine pangolin (Manis culionensis); Sunda pangolin (Manis javanica); and the Chinese pangolin (Manis pentadactyla).
i.All eight pangolin species are protected under national and international laws.
Pangolins on the International Union for Conservation of Nature(IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species(2019 assessment).
- Chinese, Sunda and Philippine pangolins are listed as Critically Endangered
- Indian, White Bellied and Giant pangolins are listed as Endangered.
- Black Bellied and Ground Pangolin are listed as Vulnerable.
i.The primary threat to the pangolin species is illegal hunting and poaching for local use and illicit international trade for their scales, skins, and meat.
ii.As of February 2020, More than 895,000 pangolins were trafficked globally between 2000 and 2019.
Assam to Launch 4 Year Mentorship Programme “Project Arohan” to Hone student’s skills
The government of Assam is set to launch a 4-year mentorship programme – “Project Arohan” – to mentor the students of Assam and to hone their skills.
- Himanta Biswa Sarma, Chief Minister(CM) of Assam, met with Anita Rajan, Chief Executive officer CEO) of Tata STRIVE, the skill development initiative of Tata Trusts, to seek cooperation for Project Arohan.
List of Less Important News – Click Here
*****Click Here View – AC Excluded News*****
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 24 February 2022|
|1||Ministry of Education Approves Extension of NMMSS for 5 Years (2021-22 to 2025-26)|
|2||MoW&CD extends PM CARES for Children Scheme till February 28|
|3||First batch of 3 MH-60R Multi-Role Helicopters to arrive in mid-July|
|4||Centre’s High-Powered Committee Provides National Status to Upper Bhadra Project|
|5||6th Anniversary of SPMRM: Rural Development Ministry Approved 296 Clusters Under SPMRM|
|6||HDFC Bank partnered with ICEPL to finance Gobar-Dhan Plant in Indore, MP|
|7||Edelweiss General Insurance partners Ashv Finance for MSME loan protection Plans|
|8||TripMoney Partners with SBM Bank India to Launch Global Credit Card|
|9||SIB Introduces Two New Services for Customers – SiberNet, SIB Express|
|10||JICA approved Rs 1,000-crore river clean-up project in Pune|
|11||Four Parachute Battalions Received “Presidential Colours” Award from Chief of Army Staff Gen M M Naravane|
|12||LIC Increased its Stake in CGCL From 4.959% to 5.044%|
|13||Union Minister Giriraj Singh launches PMAY Gramin Dashboard ‘Rural Diksha’|
|14||NIOT: Indigenous submersible vehicle Matsya 6000 will be ready for Samudrayaan|
|15||Researchers discovered Euphlyctis Jaladhara from Western Coastal Plains of India|
|16||Ranji Trophy 2021-22: Sakibul Gani creates World Record & Becomes 1st Cricketer to Score Triple-Century on First-Class Debut|
|17||Veteran Malayalam Actress Maheshwari Amma aka KPAC Lalitha Passed Away|
|18||Priyam Gandhi Authored ‘A Nation To Protect’, Book About Leadership of PM Narendra Modi|
|19||AEPC celebrates its 44th Foundation Day on Feb 22, 2022|
|20||11th World Pangolin Day – 19th February 2022|
|21||Assam to Launch 4 Year Mentorship Programme “Project Arohan” to Hone student’s skills|