Union Minister of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj Shri Giriraj Singh virtually launched Climate Resilience Information System and Planning (CRISP-M) tool for integration of climate information in Geographic Information System (GIS) based watershed planning under Mahatma Gandhi NREGA Scheme (MGNREGS).
- Giriraj Singh launched this service along with Lord Tariq Ahmad, Minister of State for South Asia and the Commonwealth in the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
- This tool will be implemented in seven districts of states such as Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Rajasthan.
- The Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), Government of UK and Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India are jointly working towards climate resilience.
i.This tool will help to open up new opportunities for rural communities to deal with the issues of climate change.
ii.It will help poor and vulnerable people to cope with climate change and protecting them from weather-related disasters.
Mahatma Gandhi NREGA & Mahatma Gandhi NREGS: –
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (Mahatma Gandhi NREGA/ MGNREGA) was initiated with the objective of enhancing livelihood security in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in a financial year, to every household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.It was launched in 2006.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (Mahatma Gandhi NREGA) is the foundation for the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (Mahatma Gandhi NREGS) and provides guaranteed employment.
- Central Government has powers to make rules and to amend Mahatma Gandhi NREGA.
- State Governments have powers to make rules and amend the concerned State scheme.
Objective of Mahatma Gandhi NREGS :-
i.Social protection for the most vulnerable people living in rural India by guaranteeing wage employment opportunities.
ii.Enhance livelihood security of the rural poor through generation of wage employment opportunities in works leading to creation of durable assets.