India off-spinner Ravichandran was presented with the Arjuna Award, which was conferred on him last year, by the Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal in the nation’s capital.
The off-spinner was unable to make it to the National Sports Awards function on August 29 last year as he was in England playing the One-Day International series.
Ashwin Dressed in the traditional maroon-coloured blazer designed for Arjuna awardees, Ashwin received the award at a special function organised in the chamber of the Sports Minister here. The award includes a bronze statuette, a prize money and Rs. five lakh.
ABOUT RAVICHANDRAN ASHWIN:
- Ashwin born on 17th September 1986 plays for TamilNadu.
- He is all-rounder
- Ashwin, 28, was the 48th cricketer to receive the prestigious award.
- He emerged as a dependable bowler in all formats of the game, capturing 124 wickets in 25 Tests, 139 scalps in 99 ODIs and 25 in 26 T20 Internationals.
- Ashwin, who took 18 matches to complete 100 Test wickets, became the fastest Indian to reach the milestone in November 2013, edging past spin legend Erapalli Prasanna (20 Tests).
- He is the fifth fastest bowler in Test history to bag 100 wickets.
ABOUT ARJUN AWARD:
- The Arjuna Award is given by Ministry of Youth Affairs and sports ,government of India
- Cash prize is Rs 5,00,000.
- Award is first given in 1961