Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Word Usage, which is BASED ON SOME NEW PATTERNS which have been asked in many banking exams recently.
Directions : For each of the words below, a contextual usage is provided. Pick the word/phrase from the alternatives that is most the appropriate substitute in the given context and mark its number as your answer.
- Accumulated : to increase gradually in quantity or number.
- Levied : the imposition or collection of an assessment The government imposed a levy on gasoline.
- Counterproductive : tending to hinder the attainment of a desired goal.
- Upsurge : rapid or sudden rise
- Overhaul : to examine thoroughly
- Enactment : something (such as a law) that has been enacted.
- Detention : he act or fact of detaining or holding back.
- Ordinances : an authoritative decree or direction.
- Obsolete: no longer in use or no longer useful.
- Tedious : tiresome because of length or dullness.