Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Word Usage, which is BASED ON SOME NEW PATTERNS which have been asked in many banking exams recently.
Directions : For each of the words below, a contextual usage is provided. Pick the word/phrase from the alternatives that is most the appropriate substitute in the given context and mark its number as your answer.
- Accumulated : to increase gradually in quantity or number.
Answer : 1.assemble
Accumulated : gather together or acquire an increasing number or quantity of.
- Levied : the imposition or collection of an assessment The government imposed a levy on gasoline.
Answer : 1.impose
Levied : impose (a tax, fee, or fine).
- Counterproductive : tending to hinder the attainment of a desired goal.
Answer : 2.deleterious
Counterproductive : having the opposite of the desired effect.
- Upsurge : rapid or sudden rise
Answer : 2.improvement
Upsurge : an upward surge in the strength or quantity of something; an increase.
- Overhaul : to examine thoroughly
Answer : 1.revamp
Overhaul : take apart (a piece of machinery or equipment) in order to examine it and repair it if necessary.
- Enactment : something (such as a law) that has been enacted.
Answer : 2.ratification
Enactment : the process of passing legislation.
- Detention : he act or fact of detaining or holding back.
Answer : 3.imprisonment
Detention : the action of detaining someone or the state of being detained in official custody.
- Ordinances : an authoritative decree or direction.
Answer : 3.edict
Ordinances : an authoritative order.
- Obsolete: no longer in use or no longer useful.
Answer : 1.outdated
Obsolete : no longer produced or used; out of date.
- Tedious : tiresome because of length or dullness.
Answer : 3.monotonous
Tedious : too long, slow, or dull; tiresome or monotonous.