From 9th July to 15th July 2019, Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships held in Apia, Samoa. The championship were held across three categories — senior, junior and youth.
India topped the medal tally by winning 35 medals across three categories viz 22 golds, 10 silvers and 3 bronze medals in all categories. India also broke a total of 22 records in all 3 age groups in World, Asian, Commonwealth and National level as well as set a new junior record at Commonwealth and National level.
|Gold Medal Winners|
|Name of the winner||Event|
|Jhilli Dalabehra||Women’s 45 kg(Senior)|
|Mirabai Chanu||Women’s 49 kg(Senior)|
|Soroikhaibam Bindyarani Devi||Women’s 55kg(Senior)|
|Davinder Kaur||Women’s 59kg (Senior)|
|Rakhi Halder||Women’s 64kg(Senior)|
|P Anuradha||Women’s 87kg(Senior)|
|Bornali Borah||Women’s 45 kg(Junior)|
|Sukarna Adak||Women’s 59kg(Junior)|
|Seram Nirupama Devi||Women’s 64kg(Junior)|
|Soumya Sunil Dalvi||Women’s 40 kg(Youth)|
|Sukarna Adak||Women’s 59kg(Youth)|
|Achinta Sheuli||Men’s 73 kg(Senior)|
|Ajay Singh||Men’s 81 Kg(Senior)|
|Pardeep Singh||Men’s 102 kg(Senior)|
|Rishikanta Singh||Men’s 55kg(Senior)|
|Gulam Navi||Men’s 67kg(Junior)|
|Jacob Vanlaltluanga||Men’s 61kg(Junior)|
|Achinta Sheuli||Men’s 73kg(Junior)|
|Bhaktaram Desti||Men’s 49kg(Youth)|
|Jacob Vanlaltluanga||Men’s 61kg(Youth)|
|L Sadananda Singh||Men’s 73kg(Youth)|
|A.S.R.K. Yadav||Men’s 81kg(Youth)|
- Indian weightlifter Ajay Singh created a new Commonwealth record in the clean and jerk category by lifting more than double his body weight (190kg).
- Pardeep Singh created a new record in the clean and jerk category by lifting 202kgs. His earlier successful attempt of 148kg took his total to 350kgs.
- Jeremy Lalrinnunga competing in 67 kg male event broke a youth world record with lift of 136 kg in snatch. This same lift also set new youth record at Asian, Commonwealth and National level, as well as set a new junior record at Commonwealth and National level.
- Jhilli Dalabehera won the gold in the women’s 45 kg event, and set 6 records with a clean and jerk lift of 94 kg and a total lift of 164 kg at the Commonwealth (Senior and Junior) and Junior National level.
In the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship 37 Indian players participated.
About Oceania Weightlifting Federation(OWF):
- Established – 1980 in Melbourne, Australia
- First President – Mr. Les Martyn
- First General Secretary – Mr. Bruce Cameron.