For his novel ” The Umbrella Man”,Novelist Siddhartha Gigoo won the short story price in the Asia region for the year 2015.The price amount involved is 2500pounds. With this victory, he will now compete with other four regional winners for the 5000 pounds grand price that would be announced in London September 8th 2015.Most of his stories are based on Kashmir where he was born.
- Gigoo’s story has been published in the book ” A Fistful Of Earth and Other Stories” .
- His book was praised for sensitivity and perception, that made his story stand above the rest.
- His story was chosen from shortlisted 22 stories shortlisted from 4000 entries from different countries like Asia,Africa,Canada,Europe etc.
- The story shows surreal meditation on mental health and meditation .
- For African region, price was won by Lesley Nneka Arimah of Nigeria for the topic Light.
- For Canada and Europe regions, price went to Johnathan Tel of UK for Human Phonograph.
- Kevin Jared Hussain of Trinidad, got price for his book King Of Settlement 4 for the Caribbean.
- Fiji’s Mary Rokonadravu, got price for his Famished Eels for Pacific regions.
ABOUT SIDDHARTHA GIGOO
- Siddhartha Gigoo was born in 1974 in Srinagar,India.
- He did his English Literature at Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- In 2011, his first novel ”The Garden Of Solitude” was published.
- He also produced and directed a short film named The Last Day.
- Gigoo two poetry books are Fall and Other Poems and Reflections.
INFORMATION ON COMMONWEALTH SHORT STORY PRICE
- This price is given annually for the best price of unpublished short fiction[2000 to 5000] words.
- The competition is open to all Commonwealth citizens above 18 years of age.
- It is an initiation by Commonwealth Foundation.
- It seeks to unearth,develop and promote best new fiction from across the Commonwealth countries.