Commonwealth Shooting Championships 2017 was held in Gold Coast, Australia from 28th October, 2017 to 8th November, 2017. This Championship is held among Commonwealth countries and is considered as a test event for the Commonwealth Games. Commonwealth Shooting Championship 2017 was held in conjunction with the 2017 Oceania Shooting Championships.
India finish with 20 medals at Commonwealth Shooting Championships
- The Indian squad won a total of 20 medals which included six gold, seven silver and seven bronze medals.
- 18 medals were won from the Rifle and Pistol discipline, whereas 2 medals (one gold and one silver) were won in shotgun events.
Satyendra Singh wins gold
- Indian shooters Satyendra Singh and Sanjeev Rajput won a gold and a silver respectively in the men’s 50m rifle 3 positions event on the final day of Commonwealth Shooting Championships.
- Another Indian shooter Chain Singh was in third place in the initial stages of the final of men’s 50m rifle 3 positions event. However towards the end, he was overtaken by Australian Dane Sampson who won Bronze.
Heena Sidhu on a roll, wins gold at Commonwealth Shooting C’ships
- On October 31, 2017, Indian shooter Heena Sidhu won Gold Medal in women’s 10m Air Pistol event at Commonwealth Shooting Championships.
- In the finals, Heena outperformed Australia’s Elena Galiabovitch, who had to settle for silver.
- Heena scored 240.8 whereas Galiabovitch could manage only 238.2.
- Another Australian, Kristy Gillman of won bronze medal by scoring 213.7.
Shahzar, Pooja Win Gold At Commonwealth Shooting Championships
- On November 1, 2017, Indian shooters Shahzar Rizvi, Omkar Singh and Jitu Rai won gold, silver and bronze medals respectively in men’s in the 10m air pistol event at the Commonwealth Shooting Championships.
- In the 10m women’s air rifle event, India shooters Pooja Ghatkar bagged a gold while Anjum Moudgil won the silver medal.
Nanjappa, Mittal win gold medals at Commonwealth shooting
- Indian shooters Prakash Nanjappa won Gold, Amanpreet Singh won silver and Jitu Rai won bronze in men’s 50m pistol event at Commonwealth Shooting Championships.
- Double trap shooter Mittal won Gold while Shreyasi Singh bagged silver in the women’s double trap event.
Gagan Narang wins silver medal in 50m rifle prone event
- On November 2, 2017, Olympic bronze-medallist Indian shooter Gagan Narang won a silver medal in the men’s 50m rifle prone event at the Commonwealth Shooting Championships.
- Another Indian shooter, Swapnil Suresh Kusale bagged the bronze in the same event.
- Gold medal for this event was won by Australia’s Dane Sampson.
Anish Bhanwala won a silver,Anjum & Neeraj Kumar bagged a bronze
- Indian shooter Anish Bhanwala won silver in the men’s 25m rapid fire pistol event at the Commonwealth Shooting Championships, while another Indian shooter Neeraj Kumar bagged a bronze in this event.
- Anjum Moudgil won a bronze medal in the women’s 50m Rifle Prone. She shot a total of 616.7 behind Scotland’s Seonaid Mcintosh (619.9) and Jennifer Mcintosh (620.7).