Indian government on Thursday 28th May 2015 appointed S. Christopher who heads the centre for airborne systems , as new Director General of DRDO with the rank of a secretary. This was in line with Defence Minister Manohar Parikkar’s concept of dividing top post into two parts.
- Government also appointed a younger scientist GS Reddy — a missile scientist, as the scientific advisor to the defence minister.
- Mr Reddy would report to Mr Parikkar and will b the pointsman for the minister for defence research projects.
- Term of two years is now available to both the top officials, and Reddy would contend for top job Director General DRDO.
- In January 2015 DRDO Chief Avinash Chander was sacked as government needs new younger leadership for the organisation .
- Among many structural changes that are expected at DRDO in coming months,the splitting of posts was the first .
- There is still no clear information regarding the responsiblities of both the official as the ministry has not come out with the notification yet.
- Delhi would be the base where both the officials would be located.
- Dr Christopher is currently Distinguished Scientist and Programme Director[airborne early warning and control systems] and Director, Center for Airborne systems in Bengaluru and Mr Reddy is currently Distinguished scientist and Director,Research Center Imarat and Programme Director of Medium Range Surface to Air missile MRSAM project.
- Mr Avinash Chanders contract as Secretary DoDRD-cum-DG DRDO and adviser to raksha mantri was terminated with effect from January 2015.
- DoDRD was established i 1980 advises government on scientific aspects of military equipments, logistics and formulation of research.
- Mr Mohan Kumar, was given additional charge of the Secretary DoDRD
- It is an agency of India responsible for development of technology for use by the military.
- Formed in the year 1958.
- Its heaquarters is in New Delhi.
- DRDO projects in various field include aeronautics, armaments, electronics, combat vehicles and engineering, missile systems etc
MRSAM– what it is??
- It refers to medium range surface to air missiles.
- It is a joint venture involving Israel Aerospace Industries and Rafael teaming with DRDO and IAF to produce medium range surface- to- air missiles.
- It is Indias biggest JV with a foreign country with deal worth Rs 10,400 crores.
- DRDO is a partner would get Rs 3000 crores .
- MRSAM will be deployed for the security of National capital region and also for securing nuclear installations across the country