India’s duo Chitra Magimairaj and Varshaa Sanjeev won the seniors and under-21 gold medals respectively at the WLBS World snooker championship in Leeds.
- Veteran Chitra defeated Sandra Bryan, Dannie Findlay and Michelle Brown before advancing over Sharon Kaur 3-0 in the final.
- While Varshaa on the other hand overcame Claire Edgington and Yan Shut before putting it across Jeong Min Park 3-0 in the final.
- The duo, however, earned only a bronze in the team event, falling in the semi-finals.Chitra’s partner Varshaa has bagged the Eden WC Plate event too.
- The Duo earlier in the Ireland team event (2013) had won bronze.
- Bangalore hailed Chitra is a professional player of snooker, English billiards and
- She is a two-timeWorld Ladies Billiards and Snooker Association World Champion (2006, 2007), a two-time national pool champion, and won World Women’s Senior Snooker Championship (2014).
- Beides Snooker she has also been a national-class amateurcricket and field hockey player.
- Chitra has been bestowed by Sports Writers Association Award (SWAA) for Best Sportsperson, in 2008.
Notable Indian Snooker Players:
- Wilson Jones
- Michael Ferreira
- Ashok Sandilya