According to a study titled ‘India’s digital divide: how broadband speed splits the nation’ by Ookla, Chennai has the highest fixed broadband download speed among 20 largest cities of India.
Broadband Speed in India:
In context of this news, it is important to note that for February 2018, with fixed broadband average download speed at 20.72 Mbps, India ranked 67th in the world on Speedtest Global Index.
- Ookla’s study on India is based on February 2018 data from real consumer-initiated tests taken using Speedtest.
- Speedtest by Ookla (Seattle, US-headquartered firm) provides independent insight into the speed and quality of mobile and fixed broadband connections.
Highlights of ‘India’s digital divide: how broadband speed splits the nation’:
With fixed broadband average download speed at 32.67 Megabits per second (Mbps) Chennai has topped the list and has clocked 57.7% faster download speed than the average for the rest of the country.
- Chennai is followed by Bengaluru with average download speed of 31.09 Mbps.
- India’s capital Delhi ranked fifth with average download speed of 23.57 Mbps.
- Among four big metros, Mumbai ranked lowest with download speeds averaging 17.10 Mbps. On the list of 20 large cities Mumbai ranked 8th.
- Among all 20 large cities of India, Patna ranked lowest with average download speed of 7.80 Mbps, which is 62.4% slower than the country’s average.
- On state-wise consideration Karnataka has the fastest broadband in India, with a mean download speed of 28.46 Mbps.
- On regional basis, Southern states in general have fared better than rest of India.
Highest Average Download Speed – Top 5 Cities