The works on ‘Chenab Bridge’ which is set to be the World’s Highest Rail Bridge are expected to be completed by the end of 2021. The bridge is 1.315 Kms long with 17 spans and is being constructed at a height of 359 metres (1, 178 feet) over the River Chenab which is 35 metres higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.
- The bridge will connect Bakkal (katra) and Kauri (Srinagar) in the Reasi district of Jammu & Kashmir UT.
- Upon Completion, the estimated height of the bridge will be ~ 1, 178 feet, which is 53 feet taller than Millau Viaduct in France (At 1, 125 feet it is at present the World’ Highest Bridge)
- It is being built by Konkan Railway Corporation Ltd (KRCL) at a cost of INR 12, 000 Crores.
- The Chenab bridge is part of the 111-Km Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link (USBRL) Project. Arch span of the Bridge is 467 m (1,532 ft) & Arch length is 480 m (1,570 ft).
- The works on Steel Arch of the Bridge are set to be completed by March, 2021.
- It is designed to withstand a speed of 100 Kms per hour and has a lifespan of 120 years
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is working with Indian Railways to make the bridge Blast-proof.
- The Bridge is also capable of withstanding the earthquake of the Magnitude 8 on Richter Scale.
Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link (USBRL) Project
It is 272 Kms long railway link being built at a cost of INR 28, 000 Crore under the Northern Railway Zone.
- It will connect Kashmir to Rest of India and will be completed by 2022.
- The USBRL will also have India’s Longest Railway Tunnel (T-49) at 12.75 kms.
- Pirpanjal tunnel (11.215 kms), the longest rail tunnel as of date, is also part of the USBRL project and has already been commissioned.
- Yet another engineering marvel under construction is the Anji bridge which will be the first cable-stayed bridge of Indian Railways. The bridge is being constructed over Anjikhad, a tributary of Chenab river.
Recent Related News:
i.August 17, 2020, Indian Railways’ North East Frontier Railway zone is constructing the world’s tallest pier bridge, having height of 141 metres, across river Ijai in Manipur with an outlay of Rs 280 crore.
About Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL):
Chairman & Managing Director (CMD)– Sanjay Gupta
Headquarters – Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra