The Government of India has set a target to increase the number of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBJKs) to 10,000 across the country by March 2024.
- Till October 10, 2021, a total of 8,366 Janaushadhi Kendras have been increased across 736 districts in the country.
- Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India(PMBI) is the implementing agency of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana, under the aegis of Department of Pharmaceuticals.
- As many as 1,451 drugs and 240 surgical instruments are under product basket of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
i.To ensure access to quality medicine to all sections especially poor and deprived.
ii.To create awareness about generic medicine to counter the perception that high price of the medicine refers to quality of the medicine
iii.To generate employment by engaging individuals entrepreneurs in setting up PMBJP Kendras
iv.Medicines available under PMBJP are priced around 50 per cent to 90 per cent less than that of branded medicines.
In the 2021-22 financial year, till October 10, 2021, BPPI (Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India) has made sales of Rs 431.65 crore and helped citizens save approximately Rs 2,500 crore.
About Janaushadhi Kendras
i.These are the pharmaceutical stores set up under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana
ii.The objective of these kendras is to generate employment to entrepreneurs and make quality medicine accessible to the deprived and poor.
iii.They sell medicines at the lowest price compared to the other outlets.
- It stands for Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana.
- It was Launched by Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers in 2008.