On May 2, 2018, Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved following initiatives:
Cabinet approves financial assistance to sugar mills for clearing cane dues of farmers
In a bid to help sugar mills to clear cane dues of farmers, CCEA has given its approval to provide financial assistance @ of Rs. 5.50 per quintal of cane crushed in sugar season 2017-18 to sugar mills to offset the cost of cane.
- Financial assistance shall be paid directly to the farmers on behalf of the mills.
- This benefit will be given only to those mills which fulfil the eligibility conditions as decided by the Government.
- On account of high sugar production vis-à-vis consumption, sugar prices have remained depressed since the beginning of current sugar season 2017-18.
- Surplus holdings have negatively affected the liquidity position of sugar mills which has in turn lead to accumulation of cane price dues of farmers.
- Sugar mill dues to farmers currently stands at a staggering Rs.19000 crore.
- Financial assistance along with other measures will thereby provide relief to farmers.
Cabinet approves renaming and restructuring of Multi-sectoral Development Programme
CCEA has approved the proposal for renaming and restructuring of Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) as Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK).
- PMJVK, which has more flexibility as compared to MsDP would provide better socio economic infrastructure facilities to the minority communities particularly in the field of education, health & skill development as compared to the present situation.
- Under PMJVK, criteria for identification of Minority Concentration Towns and Clusters of Villages have been rationalized.
- In addition to restructuring and renaming MsDP, CCEA has also approved its continuation during the remaining period of 14thFinance Commission at the cost of Rs. 3972 crore.
Cabinet approves continuation of Umbrella Scheme ‘Green Revolution — Krishonnati Yojana’ in Agriculture Sector
CCEA has given its approval for the Umbrella Scheme, “Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana” in agriculture sector beyond 12th Five Year Plan for the period from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- “Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana” is geared towards developing the agriculture and allied sector in a holistic and scientific manner to increase the income of farmers by enhancing production, productivity and helping them to get better returns on produce.
- CCEA has approved its continuation for three financial years, i.e., 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 at expenditure of Rs.33269.976 crore.
- 11 schemes that are the constituents of Umbrella Scheme are: Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH), National Food Security Mission (NFSM), National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA), Submission on Agriculture Extension (SMAE), Sub-Mission on Seeds and Planting Material (SMSP), Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanisation (SMAM), Sub Mission on Plant Protection and Plan Quarantine (SMPPQ), Integrated Scheme on Agriculture Census, Economics and Statistics (ISACES), Integrated Scheme on Agricultural Cooperation (ISAC), Integrated Scheme on Agricultural Marketing (ISAM), National e-Governance Plan (NeGP-A).