On March 28, 2018, Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved following bilateral agreements:
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Zambia in the field of Judicial Cooperation
This Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) will strengthen relations between India and Zambia and add new dimensions in the field of judicial reforms.
- It is to be noted that social, cultural and commercial relations between India and Zambia have developed in the positive direction during recent years.
Quick Facts about Zambia:
♦ Capital – Lusaka
♦ Currency – Zambian kwacha
♦ Current President – Edgar Lungu
Cabinet approves MoU between India and United Kingdom and Northern Ireland
This MoU is regarding cooperation and exchange of information for the purposes of combating international criminality and tackling serious organised crime.
- An agreement concerning the investigation and prosecution of crime and the tracing, restraint and confiscation of the proceeds and instruments of crime and terrorist funds, between India and United Kingdom (UK) is already in place since 1995.
- The latest MoU will further strengthen cooperation between India and UK in fighting international criminality and serious organized crime.
Quick Facts about United Kingdom:
♦ Capital – London
♦ Currency – Great British Pound
♦ Current Prime Minister – Theresa May
Cabinet approves MoU between India and South Asia Cooperative Environment Programme
This MoU is regarding cooperation on the response to Oil and Chemical Pollution in the South Asian Seas Region.
- It envisages closer cooperation between India and other maritime nations comprising the South Asian seas region (Bangladesh, Maldives, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) for protection and preservation of marine environment in the region.
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG) will be the Competent National Authority and national operational contact point for implementation of Regional Oil Spill Contingency Plan.
- Regional Oil Spill Contingency Plan was jointly developed by SACEP and International Maritime Organisation (IMO) to facilitate international co-operation and mutual assistance in preparing and responding to a major oil pollution incident in the seas around India, Bangladesh, Maldives, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Quick facts about South Asia Cooperative Environment Programme:
♦ Established in – 1982
♦ Objective – to promote and support protection, management and enhancement of the environment in South Asian Seas region
♦ Secretariat – Colombo, Sri Lanka
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Canada on IPRs
Union Cabinet has given its ex-post approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Canada to establish bilateral cooperation in the field of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs).
- This MoU was signed on February 23, 2018.
- As per the terms of the MoU, a broad and flexible framework will be established through which, both countries can exchange best practices and work together on training programs and technical exchanges to raise awareness and protect IPRs.
- Activities to be conducted under this framework are intended to promote innovation, creativity and economic growth in India and Canada.
Quick Facts about Canada:
♦ Capital – Ottawa
♦ Currency – Canadian Dollar
♦ Current Prime Minister – Justin Trudeau