On March 3, 2021, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi approved the following Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs).
- MoU between India & France in the field of Renewable Energy cooperation
- MoU between India & Fiji for cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sectors.
Cabinet Approval for MoU between India & France
In January 2021, India & French Republic signed an MoU in the field of Renewable Energy cooperation.
- To establish a platform for promotion of bilateral cooperation in the field of new and renewable energy on the basis of mutual benefit, equality and reciprocity.
- It covers renewable energy technologies relating to Solar, Wind, Hydrogen & Biomass energy.
Components of the Agreement
- Exchange & Training of Scientific and Technical personnel
- Exchange of Scientific & technological information and data
- Organization of workshops & seminars; transfer of equipment, know-how & technology
- Development of Joint Research and Technological projects
- It will help in developing the technological know-how in the field of Renewable energy
- Technical knowledge will help India to attain its target of 450 GigaWatts (GW) of installed Renewable Energy Capacity by 2030.
President – Emmanuel Macron
Capital – Paris
Currency – Euro,CFP franc
Cabinet Approval for MoU between India & Fiji
The Union Cabinet also approved the signing of a MoU between the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, India & Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Fiji for cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sectors.
- The MoU will come into effect on the data of its signing and the time period of the agreement is 5 years.
The MoU provides for agreement in the below areas
- Exchange of Research personnel, scientific experts, specialists & Technical trainees
- Enhancement & Transfer of Technology
- Development of infrastructure for agriculture development
- Development of human resources through training of officers & farmers by conducting seminars & workshops
- Promotion of Joint Ventures between private sectors of both countries
- Boosting investment in marketing & value addition of agricultural commodities.
- Capacity development in all areas of agriculture
- Promotion of direct trade of agriculture products through market access
- Joint planning & development of research proposals & execution of research projects & programmes
- Establishment of an Indo-Fiji Working Group for dealing with phytosanitary issues.
- Other forms of cooperation mutually agreed by the parties
Joint Working Group (JWG)
- A JWG is to be constituted for laying down procedures & plans for achieving the aims through Executing agencies of the two countries.
- JWG will hold meetings alternately in India & Fiji once in every 2 years.
Prime Minister – Frank Bainimarama
Capital – Suva
Currency – Fijian Dollar (FJD)
- A small executive body which is the supreme decision-making body in India.
- Only the Prime Minister & Ministers of the rank of Cabinet Minister are members of the Union Cabinet in accordance with Article 75 of the Indian Constitution.
Recent Related News:
i.February 2, 2021, Barbara Pompili, French Minister for Ecological Transition made a 5-day Visit to India from January 28-February 1, 2021.
ii.Fijian Ambassador Nazhat Shameem Khan, the chief diplomat of Fiji in Geneva won the Presidency Election of theUNHRC. Fiji became the first Pacific Island nations to win the presidency election of the UNHRC.