On November 30, 2017, Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved following bilateral agreements and initiatives:
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Italy for cooperation in Agriculture and Phytosanitary issues
This MoU replaces the earlier MoU signed in January, 2008 which will expire in January, 2018.
- The MoU envisages cooperation between India and Italy in the fields of Phytosanitary issues, agricultural production, animal husbandry, food processing and agricultural research.
- As per the terms of this MoU, both the countries will exchange information on the situation of agriculture and rural development. Besides, technical collaboration for agricultural mechanization/farm machinery, agro-industrial infrastructures and removal of technical barriers has also been included in the scope of this MoU.
- A Joint Working Group will be set up to oversee the activities undertaken under the scope of this MoU.
Quick Facts about Italy:
- Capital – Rome
- Currency – Euro
- Current Prime Minister – Paolo Gentiloni
Cabinet approves investment cooperation and facilitation treaty between India and Brazil
Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing and ratification of the Investment Cooperation and Facilitation Treaty (ICFT) between India and Brazil.
- ICFT between India and Brazil will provide facilitation to Brazilian investors in India and Indian investors in the Brazil.
- These facilitation measures will increase the comfort level and thereby provide conducive investment climate to investors.
- This treaty would help project India as a preferred Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) destination among Brazilian investors.
Quick Facts about Brazil:
- Capital – Brasilia
- Currency – Brazilian Real
- Current President – Michel Temer
Cabinet approves transfer of landed assets owned by Hindustan Vegetable Oils Corporation Ltd. to Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
Union Cabinet has given its approval for transfer of all land assets owned by Hindustan Vegetable Oils Corporation Ltd (HVOC) to Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) for appropriate utilization/ disposal.
- HVOC, which was formed in 1984 is currently a sick public sector enterprise under liquidation.
- All liabilities of HVOC towards loans taken from the Government, including interest would be written off in lieu of its land assets.
- HVOC has land assets in seven cities of India. After being transferred to MoHUA, it would be used for public purpose.
Cabinet approves setting up of National Nutrition Mission
On November 30, 2017, Union Cabinet approved setting up of National Nutrition Mission (NNM) with a three year financial outlay of Rs.9046.17 crore commencing from 2017-18.
National Nutrition Mission – Key Facts:
Objective of this mission is to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies.
- NNM, will monitor, supervise, fix targets and guide the nutrition related interventions across all Union Government Ministries.
- The plan is to cover 315 districts in 2017-18, 235 districts in 2018-19 and remaining districts in 2019-20.
- Around 10 crore people will benefit from this programme.