The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on January 18, 2017 gave its ex-post facto approval to Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) signed with various countries in the field of IT & electronics, Cyber security, Youth affairs, outer space, agriculture and allied science among others.
The MoUs approved includes:
MoU between India and Serbia for Cooperation in the field of Information Technology and Electronics
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Serbia for promoting cooperation in the field of Information Technology and Electronics was approved by Prime Minster Shri Narendra Modi on January 18, 2017.
- Aim: The MoU envisages promoting cooperation and exchanges between the private entities, capacity building institutions, the Governments and other public and private organizations of the two countries in IT & Electronics.
MoU between India and Vietnam in the field of cyber security
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between India and Vietnam in the field of Cyber Security on September 3, 2016 at Hanoi. It was signed between Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), India and the Cyber Security Department, Ministry of Public Security, Vietnam.
- Aim: The MoU aims to promote deepen the cooperation among the two countries for exchange of knowledge and experience in detection, resolution and prevention of cyber security-related incidents.
MoU between India and Russia for Cooperation in Youth matters
The MoU signed between India and Russia for cooperation in the field of Youth Affairs was approved by the cabinet on January 18, 2017.
- The approval has opened way for the youths of both the nations to develop international perspective and expand their knowledge and expertise in area of youth matters by establishing people-to-people contacts.
- Besides, it would help in promoting exchange of ideas, values and culture amongst Youth and consolidate friendly relations between the two countries.
MoU between ISRO and JAXA for Cooperation in the Field of Outer Space
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on November 11, 2016 at Tokyo, Japan for cooperation in the field of outer space.
- The MoU aims to promote space exploration activities keeping the laws and regulations of each nation into consideration. It includes cooperation for earth observation, satellite communication and navigation, exploration and space sciences, research and development and space industry promotion.
- ISRO and JAXA will bear the costs of their respective activities under this Memorandum, unless they decide otherwise in writing.
MoU between India and the United Arab Emirates on the Mutual Recognition of Certificates of Competency
The Union Cabinet also approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and the United Arab Emirates on the Mutual Recognition of Certificates of Competency.
- The proposed MoU will enable recognition of maritime education and training, certificates of competency, endorsements, training documentary evidence and medical fitness certificates for seafarers issued by the Government of the other country in accordance with the provisions of Regulation 1/10 of the Convention, and cooperation between the two countries in training and management of seafarers.
MoU between India and United Arab Emirates for cooperation in the field of Small and Medium Enterprises and Innovation
The India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of Small and Medium Enterprises and Innovation.
- Benefit: MoU would enable Indian SME sector to have a mutually beneficial relation with SME sector of the United Arab Emirates and explore their markets leading to inclusive development.
- It would provide an opportunity to Indian SMEs to improve their SME sector and innovate further.
MoU between India and United Arab Emirates in the field of agriculture and allied sectors
India and United Arab Emirates signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the field of agriculture and allied sectors.
- The MoU will promote understanding of best agricultural practices among the two countries and help in better productivity leading to innovative technique for increasing production and productivity leading to strengthening of food security.
MoU between India and United Arab Emirates on Institutional Cooperation in Maritime Transport
The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was also signed between India and the United Arab Emirates for Institutional Cooperation in Maritime Transport for bilateral and multi-lateral benefit in sustainable trading activities.
- The MoU will enable to promote maritime transport, simplify customs and other formalities wherever applicable in Ports and facilitate use of existing installations for the disposal of waste.
Cabinet approves India’s Membership in the International Vaccine Institute (IVI), South Korea
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for India to become the full-fledge member of the International Vaccine Institute (IVI) Governing Council.
- As a part of the membership India will have to contribute an amount of US $ 5,00,00 to the International Vaccine Institute (IVI), Seoul, South Korea.
- International Vaccine Institute (IVI), Seoul, South Korea was established in 1997 on the initiatives of the UNDP. It is an international organization that deals with developing and introducing new and improved vaccines to protect the people, especially children, against deadly infectious diseases.
Cabinet approves the repealing of the obsolete and redundant laws
The Union Cabinet also gave the approval for introduction of the Repealing and Amending Bill, 2017 to repeal 105 Acts.
- A two Member Committee was constituted by the PMO, the Law Commission of India and the Legislative Department. It has identified 1824 redundant and obsolete Central Acts for repeal. After careful examination and consultation with various Ministries/Departments in the Government of India, 4 Acts have been enacted to repeal 1175 Central Acts by Parliament.
Cabinet Approves Rs 200 Cr for Setting Up IARI Jharkhand
The Union Cabinet has approved the 12th Plan Proposal of the DARE/ICAR Plan Scheme for the ‘Establishment of Indian Agricultural Research Institute (lARI)- Jharkhand’.
- The total estimated outlay of the project is Rs. 200.78 crores that will be 100% contributed by ICAR. The project would be bulid on 1,000 acre land provided by the Government of Jharkhand at the Gauria Karma Village in Barhi Block of Hazaribag.
- lARI-Jharkhand would be a unique Institution, which would possess all the hallmark identities as that of IARI at New Delhi including all sectors of agriculture like field crops, horticultural crops, agro-forestry, animal husbandry, fisheries, poultry, piggery, silk and lac rearing, honey production etc.
Cabinet Gives Approval to the Package for Supporting Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs)
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi gave its ex-post facto approval for the Augmentation of the Corpus of Credit Guarantee Trust Fund for Micro and Small Enterprises (CGTMSE), a package set up for supporting Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs).
- The augmentation of the corpus would facilitate larger flow of credit to MSEs and thus enable increased output and employment.
- As the scheme provides credit without collateral and third-party guarantee, the start-ups would be encouraged to set up enterprises based on innovation and new ideas.
Cabinet approves Amendment in Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS)
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved amendment in the Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS) to attract investment in electronics manufacturing.
- The amendment aims to further incentivize investments in Electronic Sector and further move towards the goal of ‘Net Zero imports’ in electronics by 2020.
- Besides, the amendments in M-SIPS are expected to create employment opportunities and reduce dependence on imports.