The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on February 8, 2017, approved certain schemes and agreements in areas such as digital literacy, science and innovation, health & medicine etc.
Cabinet approves Rs. 2,351.38 crore ‘Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan’ for digital literacy
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the ‘Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan’ (PMGDISHA) on February 8, 2017 to make 6 crore rural households digitally literate by March 2019.
- The outlay for PMGDISHA is Rs.2,351.38 crore.The project will be carried out in a phased manner. In the FY 2016-17, 25 lakh candidates will be trained under the programme. Further 275 lakh in the FY 2017-18 and 300 lakh in the FY 2018-19 would be trained.
- The programme would be implemented under the overall supervision of Ministry of Electronics and IT in active collaboration with States/UTs through their designated State Implementing Agencies, District e-Governance Society (DeGS), etc.
- To ensure that the programme covers overall geographical area, each of the 250,000 Gram Panchayats have been directed to register an average of 200-300 candidates.
- The scheme will enable the rural people to operate computers and other digital devices like tablets, smart phones, send and receive emails, browse internet, access Government Services, undertaking cashless transactions, etc.
Union Cabinet apprised of Framework Agreement between India and Vietnam on cooperation in the exploration and uses of outer space for peaceful purposes
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been apprised of the Framework Agreement between India and Vietnam on cooperation in the exploration and uses of outer space for peaceful purposes.
- The Framework Agreement on cooperation in the exploration and usage of outer space for peaceful purposes was signed during the Prime Minister’s visit to Vietnam on September 03, 2016.
- The agreement would enable the two countries to explore the potential interest areas of cooperation in the space science, technology and applications like remote sensing, satellite communication and navigation and other areas.
- Cooperation with Vietnam through this Framework Agreement would lead to the development of joint activity in the field of application of space technologies for the benefit of humanity
- Capital: Hanoi
- Currency: Vietnamese dong
- President: Trần Đại Quang
Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and France in the field of Science, Technology and Innovation
The Union Cabinet was also informed about the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) of Cooperation in the field of science, technology and innovation between India and France to ensure exchange of best practices and technology.
- The agreement would be signed between Technology Development Board (TDB), Department of Science & Technology and Bpifrance, a Public Investment Bank, France.
- The agreement will ensure exchange of best practices and setting up of coordinated measures to foster technological exchanges in the field of Science, Technology and Innovation through collaboration between companies, organizations and institutions of France and India through the TDB and Bpifrance.
- Capital: Paris
- President: François Hollande
- Prime minister: Bernard Cazeneuve
- Currencies: Euro, CFP franc
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Senegal in the field of Health and Medicine
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on February 8, 2017 approved signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Senegal in the field of Health and Medicine.
- As per the decision of the Union cabinet, a working group will be set up to further elaborate the details of cooperation and to oversee the implementation of the pact.
- The main areas of cooperation between the two nations include Integrated Disease Surveillance, medical research, Emergency Relief, hospital management, drugs and pharmaceutical products and hospital equipments, traditional medicine, AIDS Control and other areas of mutual interest.
- Capital: Dakar
- Currency: West African CFA franc