On February 20, 2018, Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved following initiatives and bilateral agreements.
Cabinet approves creation of National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF)
Union Cabinet has given approval for creation of Rs. 60000 crore – National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF) under Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council (BMTPC).
- BMTPC is an autonomous body registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, functioning under Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- NUHF has been created to facilitate flow of central Assistance under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban.
- Under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (launched with a goal to provide Housing for all by 2022), Central Government provides financial assistance through various modes viz. Beneficiary Linked Construction (BLC), In-Situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR), Affordable Housing in Parternership (AHP) and Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS).
Cabinet approves Silkyara Bend-Barkot Tunnel in Uttarkhand
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval for construction of 4.531 km long 2-Lane Bi-Directional Silkyara Bend – Barkot Tunnel in Uttarakhand.
Details about Silkyara Bend-Barkot Tunnel:
Total cost of this project is estimated at Rs. 1383.78 crore. It will be funded by Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and forms part of ambitious Chardham Mahamarg Pariyojana.
- This tunnel falls along NH-134 (old NH-94) in the State of Uttarakhand.
- It will be built under Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) Mode and will be completed in four years.
- Post completion, the tunnel will not only provide all weather connectivity to Yamunotri (one of the dham on Chardham Yatra) but will also reduce the travel distance from Dharasu to Yamunotri by about 20 km and travel time by about an hour.
Cabinet approves setting up tribunal to settle Mahanadi water dispute
Union Cabinet has approved the proposal to set up tribunal for adjudication of dispute on Mahanadi River Waters.
- The Tribunal shall determine water sharing among basin States by taking into consideration various technical parameters.
- The tribunal shall be formed as per provisions of the Inter-State River Water Disputes (ISRWD) Act, 1956.
- The Tribunal shall consist of a Chairman and two other Members nominated by the Chief Justice of India from amongst the Judges of the Supreme Court or High Court.
- Adjudication through tribunal, shall resolve the long-pending dispute between States of Odisha and Chhattisgarh on Mahanadi river.
Cabinet approves Six Laning of Nidagatta – Mysuru Section of NH-275 in Karnataka
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval for six-laning of Nidagatta – Mysuru Section of NH-275 (in Karnataka) from km 74.200 to 135.304 km.
- Total cost for this additional six-laning is estimated at Rs.2919.81 crore.
- This road is a section of NH 275 and connects the two prominent cities of Karnataka i.e. Bengaluru the commercial capital and Mysuru.
- Post completion, it is expected that adjoining areas would experience greater economic growth resulting in higher employment opportunities for locals.
Cabinet approves setting up of bus bay near Indian Defence University land in Gurugram
Union Cabinet has given approval for de-notification of 03 marla (a unit of area) of land overlapping with National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for setting up of bus bay near Indian Defence University Land in Gurugram, Haryana.
- Union Cabinet has also approved refund of Rs. 182719 to be paid by Government of Haryana to Ministry of Defence on account of de-notification.
- Indian Defence University, which is being setup in Gurugram, Haryana on Delhi – Jaipur highway, had proposed construction of Bus Bay along NH-8 for decongestion of heavy traffic.
Cabinet approves India-Morocco Cooperation Agreement in Railway Sector
Union Cabinet has given ex-post facto approval to the Cooperation Agreement between India and the Moroccan National Railways Office (ONCF) to develop long-term cooperation and partnership in different areas of railway sector.
- This Cooperation Agreement was signed on December 14, 2017.
- The agreement envisages cooperation in areas of training and staff development, expert missions, exchange of experience and personnel and mutual technical assistance.
Quick Facts about Morocco:
- Capital – Rabat
- Currency – Moroccan dirham
- Current Prime Minister – Saadeddine Othmani
Cabinet approves Agreement between India and Israel on Film Co-production
This agreement was signed during the visit of Prime Minister of Israel Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu to India, on January 15, 2018.
- Films Co-produced under this agreement will qualify to be national production both in India and Israel.
- It will thereby be eligible for participation as domestic productions in film festivals of both the countries.
- Co-produced films will be eligible to receive any other incentives which are available for carrying out production and post-production work in any of the countries.
- Besides, this agreement will also help in generation of employment among artistic, technical as well as non-technical personnel related to film making.
Quick Facts about Israel:
- Proclaimed Capital – Jerusalem
- Currency – New shekel
- Current Prime Minister – Benjamin Netanyahu