The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 7th March 2019, took some important decisions and gave approvals to several Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)s and Agreements.
MoU between India and UK on Cancer Research Initiative
The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and U.K. on Cancer Research Initiative which was signed on 14th November 2018.
- It will identify a core set of research challenges that address issues of affordability, prevention and care of cancer by bringing together leading Indian and UK experts across clinical research, demographic research, new technologies and physical sciences.
- The initiative will provide funding to develop new research alliances and undertake impactful research to enable significant progress against cancer outcomes.
- Over the period of 5 years, the total research funding for the Initiative shall be £10 million (approx. Rs. 90 crores) in which Cancer Research UK (CRUK)’s will be funding £5 million (approx. Rs. 45 crores) and India’s Department of Biotechnology (DBT) will fund the remaining £5 million.
About the U.K.
♦ Capital – London
♦ Currency – Pound Sterling
♦ Prime Minister – Theresa May
MoU between India and Germany on Cooperation in the field of Occupational Safety and Health
The Union cabinet approved the MoU between India and Germany on Cooperation in the field of Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) which was renewed on 13th November 2018.
- The collaboration has greatly helped in adopting the modern training techniques and tools on various aspects of OSH in different sectors of economic activity.
- Under the MoU, German Social Accident Insurance (DGUV) through the International Social Security Association (ISSA) is bringing in know how to meet the OSH challenges, especially in the construction and manufacturing sector.
- It will benefit the large work force by improving their safety and health, and preventing occupational injuries and diseases.
- The cooperation is expected to result in capacity building of Directorate General Factory Advice Service and Labour Institutes (DGFASLI), the technical arm and attached office of Ministry of Labour, India & Chief Inspector of Factories Officers (CIFs) in the field of OSH, Strengthening of Inspection system for meeting emerging challenges, upgradation of laboratories for carrying out applied research in the area of OSH, Development of OSH Standards and development in Safety Culture for enhancing the well-being of the Indian workforce.
♦ Capital – Berlin
♦ Currency – Euro
♦ Chancellor – Angela Merkel
MoU between India and Austria on Technology Cooperation in the Road Infrastructure Sector
The Union Cabinet approved the signing of the MoU between the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, India and the Federal Ministry of Transport, Innovation and Technology, Austria on Technology Cooperation in the Road Infrastructure Sector.
- It aims to create an effective framework for bilateral cooperation in the field of Road Transportation, Roads/Highways infrastructure development, management and administration, Road safety and Intelligent Transport Systems between both countries.
- It aims to strengthen ties, promote long-standing bilateral relations and enhance trade and regional integration between the Republic of India and the Republic of Austria.
- India has had good diplomatic relations with Austria since the establishment of bilateral ties between the two countries in 1949.
- Austria has state of the art technologies for roads and highways, such as electronic toll systems, intelligent transportation systems, traffic management systems, tunnel monitoring systems, geo-mapping and landslide protection measures.
♦ Capital – Vienna
♦ Currency – Euro
♦ President – Alexander Van der Bellen
♦ Chancellor – Sebastian Kurz
Agreement between India and Belarus on MLAT in Civil and Commercial Matters
The Union Cabinet approved the agreement between India and the Republic of Belarus on Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT) in Civil and Commercial Matters.
- The Agreement will promote Mutual Legal Assistance between the Contracting Parties in Civil and Commercial Matters.
- It to benefit the citizens of the respective Parties seeking Legal Assistance in Civil and Commercial Matters in the requested Party irrespective of any gender, class or income bias.
♦ Capital – Minsk
♦ Currency – Belarusian ruble
♦ President – Alexander Lukashenko
Cabinet approved Amendment to Article 3 of the Agreement between India and Bhutan
The Union Cabinet approved Amendment to the Article 3 of the Agreement between India and Bhutan regarding Mandechhu Hydro Electric Project (MHEP) in order to extend the loan repayment tenure by two years extended by India to Bhutan, for implementation of the said Project in Bhutan from 15 to 17 years.
The proposal aims to secure:
- The First Year Tariff for import of power from the 720 MW MHEP in Bhutan at Indian Rupees 4.12 per unit.
- Certainty of supply of surplus power to India by Bhutan from MHEP.
- Strengthening India-Bhutan economic relations and inter-linkages especially in the field of hydro-power co-operation and overall deepening of India-Bhutan relations.
♦ Capital – Thimphu
♦ Currency – Ngultrum
♦ Prime minister – Lotay Tshering
MoU between UPSC and CSCM to strengthen relations approved by Union Cabinet
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Civil Service Council of Mongolia (CSCM) aimed at strengthening the existing relationship between them.
i. It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
♦ Charman – Arvind Saxena
♦ Headquarters – New Delhi
♦ Capital – Ulaanbaatar
♦ Currency – Mongolian tögrög
♦ President – Khaltmaagiin Battulga