On November 4, 2020, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi has approved the following proposal which was detailed by Union Minister Prakash Keshav Javadekar, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB).
Cabinet approves Rs 1810 crore Investment Proposal of 210 MW Luhri Stage-I Hydro Power Project
On November 4, 2020, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the investment of Rs.1810.56 crore for 210 MW Luhri Stage-I Hydro Electric Project located on river Satluj situated in Shimla & Kullu districts of Himachal Pradesh (HP) . This project, to be commissioned within 62 months, will generate 758.20 million units of electricity annually.
- Notably this project will reduce 6.1 lakh Tons of carbon dioxide from the environment annually and also improve the power supply.
- This project is implemented by Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (SJVNL) on Build-Own-Operate-Maintain (BOOM) basis with active support from Central Government and State Government.
Points to be noted:
-Through this project, HP will get free power worth around Rs. 1140 crore during the Project Life Cycle of 40 years.
-The families affected by this project will be provided with 100 units of free electricity per month for ten years.
– This project will provide direct & indirect employment to around 2000 persons and will contribute to overall socio-economic development of the State.
The MoU of this project was signed between the HP government and SJVN during a Rising Himachal, Global Investor Meet which was inaugurated by Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on 7thNovember 2019.
Recent Related News:
- On September 7, 2020 Himachal Pradesh and World Bank (WB) signed a $82 million (approximately Rs. 600 Crores) loan deal to strengthen its transport and road safety institutions by improving the condition, safety, resilience, and engineering standards of the state’s road network.
- In Young Child Environment Index (YCEI), Kerala, Goa, Sikkim, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh secured top five positions in 2015-16. The index was released as a part of the inaugural issue of the report ‘The State of Young Child in India.
About Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (SJVNL):
SJVN has forayed into the fields of Renewable Energy, Power Transmission and Thermal power generation. It has envisaged Internal Growth Targets of total installed capacity from all sources of 5000 MW by 2023, 12000 MW by 2030 and 25000 MW by year 2040.
- Chairman & Managing Director (CMD)– Nand Lal Sharma
- Headquarter– Shimla, Himachal Pradesh (HP)
About Himachal Pradesh:
Chief Minister (CM) – Jai Ram Thakur
Capital– Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
Governor– Bandaru Dattatreya