On 10th January 2019, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi took a stock of decisions on various proposals. The details of the cabinet approvals are as follows:
Cabinet approves creation of the post of Vice Chancellor for National Rail & Transport Institute (Deemed to be University) set up in Vadodara, Gujarat
On 10th January 2019, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi chaired the Union Cabinet meeting, which gave its approval to the proposal of creation of the post of Vice Chancellor for India’s first rail and Transportation University, National Rail & Transport Institute (NRTI), Vadodara in Gujarat.
- The Vice-Chancellor, who will be the Principal Executive Officer of the institution, shall exercise general supervision and control over the affairs of the institution.
- He shall be mainly responsible for implementation of the decisions of all the authorities of the Institution deemed to be University.
- Besides the institute seeks to forge collaboration with leading international institutions in the areas of faculty and student exchange as well as joint research.
- From 5th September 2018, the institute had started two fully residential undergraduate courses namely, Bachelor of Science in Transportation Technology and DBA in Transportation Management in which as many as 103 students from 20 states of the country took admission.
- The NRTI is the country’s first railway university and only third such university in the world after Russia and China.
About Ministry of Railways:
♦ Minister: Piyush Goyal
♦ Minister of State: Manoj Sinha, Rajen Gohain
♦ Chairman Railway Board: Vinod Kumar Yadav
♦ Headquarters: Rail Bhawan, New Delhi
♦ Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
♦ Governor: Om Prakash Kohli
♦ Capital: Gandhinagar
Cabinet approves setting up of 3 new AIIMS
On 10th January 2019, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, gave its approval for establishment of three more All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) to boost healthcare infrastructure in the country.
- The place of construction along with the cost of setting up of three new AIIMS are:
|Place||Cost (in Rs.)|
|Vijaynagar, Samba, Jammu||1661 crore|
|Awantipura, Pulwama, Kashmir||1828 crore|
|Rajkot, Gujarat||1195 crore|
- Besides the cabinet has also approved the creation of one post of Director for each of the above three AIIMS in the basic pay of Rs 2,25,000/- (fixed) plus Non-Practising Allowance (NPA).
- The establishment of the new institutes involve the creation of hospital, teaching block for medical and nursing courses, residential complex and allied facilities and services.
- Each of the newly established AIIMS will add 100 undergraduate (MBBS) seats and 60 B.Sc. (Nursing) seats and each will have 15-20 Super Specialty Departments besides having 750 hospital beds which will include emergency, trauma Beds, AYUSH Beds, private beds and ICU Speciality and Super Speciality beds.
- Thus the new AIIMS would cater around 1500 OPD patients per day and around 1000 IPD patients per month.
- The objective of the project is to establish the new AIIMS as Institutions of National Importance for providing quality tertiary healthcare, medical education, nursing education and research in the Region.
About Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY):
♦ It is a Central Sector Scheme which aims at correcting the imbalances in the availability of affordable tertiary healthcare facilities in different parts of the country in general, and augmenting facilities for quality medical education in the under-served States in particular. The scheme was announced in 2003 and was launched in March 2006.
♦ PMSSY has two components:
i.Setting up of AIIMS like Institutions
ii.Upgradation of Government Medical College Institutions.
About Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
♦ Minister: Jagat Prakash Nadda
♦ Minister of State: Anupriya Patel, Ashwini Kumar Choubey