In the Senior Asian Wrestling Championship held at Doha on wednesday 6th May 2015, Indian wrestler Geeta Phogat won the Bronze medal in the women freestyle 58kg category . Geeta beat Thi Loan Nyguen of Vietnam by Fall verdict in the Bronze medal play-off. Geeta lost to Japan’s Kaori Icho, the Olympic gold medallist, in the pool fight, en-route to Bronze medal play off.
- In the men’s free style category India’s Hitender made it to Bronze playoff.
- His bout is scheduled later on Wednesday night.
Asian Wrestling Championships
- Its organised by Asian Associated Wrestling Committee or AAWC.
- The men’s tournament started in 1979 and the women’s tournament was first staged in 1996.
- In 1979 Jalandhar, India hosted the first Asian Wrestling Championships.
- Iran with 317 medals leads totally and with 159 gold medals is the topper as from the data got from the 2014 championship.
- AAWC is in Republic of Korea.
- The current President is Prof Chang Kew KIM.
- The present Secretary General is Kim Hae JIN.
About Geeta Phogat
- Geeta Phogat is a female wrestler from India.
- She won India’s first ever Gold medal in 2010 CommonWealth Games.
- She was born on 15th December 1988in Haryana.
- She is the first ever Indian women wrestler to have qualified for Olympics.
- She won Gold medal in Wrestling FILA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament in 2012.
- Her sister Babita Kumari is also a famous women wrestler.
About Babita Kumari
- Babita was born on 20th November 1989 in Haryana.
- She won Silver medal in 2010 CommonWealth Games.
- She won Bronze medal at World Wrestling Championships in 2010 and Gold medal in 2014 CommonWealth Games .
On World Wrestling Championships
It is an Amateur Wrestling World Championships organised by United World Wrestling. Men’s tournament started in the year 1951 and women’s in the year 1987.The first tournament was held in Helsinki,Finland in 1951 and Turkey was the champion in the men’s freestyle category. Women’s freestyle tournament was first held in Norway in 1987 and Norway was the champion in that edition.Men’s Greco-Roman category was first held in 1904 in Vienna,Austria and the combined was first held in 2005 in Hungary.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification