In the Senior Asian Wrestling Championship held at Doha on wednesday 6th May 2015, Indian wrestler Geeta Phogat won the Bronze medal in the women freestyle 58kg category . Geeta beat Thi Loan Nyguen of Vietnam by Fall verdict in the Bronze medal play-off. Geeta lost to Japan’s Kaori Icho, the Olympic gold medallist, in the pool fight, en-route to Bronze medal play off.
- In the men’s free style category India’s Hitender made it to Bronze playoff.
- His bout is scheduled later on Wednesday night.
Asian Wrestling Championships
- Its organised by Asian Associated Wrestling Committee or AAWC.
- The men’s tournament started in 1979 and the women’s tournament was first staged in 1996.
- In 1979 Jalandhar, India hosted the first Asian Wrestling Championships.
- Iran with 317 medals leads totally and with 159 gold medals is the topper as from the data got from the 2014 championship.
- AAWC is in Republic of Korea.
- The current President is Prof Chang Kew KIM.
- The present Secretary General is Kim Hae JIN.
About Geeta Phogat
- Geeta Phogat is a female wrestler from India.
- She won India’s first ever Gold medal in 2010 CommonWealth Games.
- She was born on 15th December 1988in Haryana.
- She is the first ever Indian women wrestler to have qualified for Olympics.
- She won Gold medal in Wrestling FILA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament in 2012.
- Her sister Babita Kumari is also a famous women wrestler.
About Babita Kumari
- Babita was born on 20th November 1989 in Haryana.
- She won Silver medal in 2010 CommonWealth Games.
- She won Bronze medal at World Wrestling Championships in 2010 and Gold medal in 2014 CommonWealth Games .