At the Fort Benning,USA where ISSF world cup is being held, on Friday 15th May 2015, India’s Gagan Narang won the Bronze medal in men’s 50m prone event. After pistol shooter Jitu Rai and rifle shooter Apurvi Chandela, Gagan becomes the third Indian shooter to have won a Rio Olympic berth for the country.
- In the exiting finals, Gagan shot 185.8 for the third place while America’s Micheal Mc Phail won gold and ticket to Rio games
- The American shot 208.8 in the final. With 206.3 the silver medal went to Kristian Ole Bryhn of Norway
- As Kristian had already won quota place in 50mtr .3 position event at Changwon, second available quota went to Gagan Narang.
- Gagan managed to enter the final by ending up at 8th in the qualification rounds.
- With a grand total of 626.3, Gagan made it to the final round.
- Other Indian’s like Surendra Singh Rathore and Chain Singh ended up at 13th and 23rd respectively.
- Indias trio of Anjali Bhagwath, Apurvi chandela and Ayonkia Paul failed to make it to 10mtr rifle.
- Apurvi Chandela could end up with only 415.1 points to finish 14th.
- For Olympic games, each country that is taking part can win a maximum of 30 quota places from 15 shooting disciplines.
Some ISSF World Cup details
- It was started in the year1986 by International Shooting Sport Federation.
- The aim of this is to provide homogeneous system to qualify for Olympic shooting.
- It is still carried out in the Olympic events with 4 competitions per year in each event.
Gagan Narang-who is he??
- Gagan Narang is rifle shooter born in chennai on6th May 1983.
- Gagan was first Indian to get qualified for the Olympics.
- He was awarded Padma Shri award in 2010.
- He got Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2011.
- Gagan Narang was invited by the organizers of Indian Grand Prix to wave the chequered flag in Indian Grand Prix 2012 event.