The Smart City Proposal (SCP) for the metropolis was today approved by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) with worth of 32000 crore rupees.
- The Shiv Sena, ruling party of the 227-member BMC, passed the proposal with a list of 14 amendments attached to it. Out of the fourteen amendments, 12 were made by the Shiv Sena and two by the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
Maharashtra Cities selected for Smart Cities Mission
Amravati, Aurangabad, Mumbai, Kalyan-Dombivli, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Solapur and Thane.
Highlights of the Smart City Proposal
- Navi Mumbai has prepared the most expensive plan with an outlay of 8500 crore rupees, with the aim to project Navi Mumbai as one of the first planned cities of the country.
- Thane Municipal Corporation prepared plan worth 6630 crore rupees followed by Amravati, which has drawn plans amounting to 5000 crore rupees.
- Nagpur and Pune have also submitted ambitious plans of 3400 crore rupees and 2900 crore rupees respectively.
- The plan enlists essentials of a smart city as 24×7 water supply, LED lights on signals, zero-garbage zones and mobile governance.
- 75% of the jobs being generated of the Smart city project should be given out to the sons of the soil (local people).
- The chairman of Special Purpose Vehicle should be the Mumbai Mayor.
- Wi Fi facility should be implemented all over Mumbai rather than at four spots only.
- The Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) be named as Mumbai municipal corporation Smart City company.
- Mechanical sweeping be made a part of the plan along with ducting be done for utilities running through public roads.
- The civic body should be given powers to appoint the Director.
- There should be zero involvement of private companies in the SPV and 50% reservation of public representatives in the SPV.
- Lower Parel, which has been mentioned as an area for local area development, should only be looked upon as an example and the corporation members should have a say on what area would be selected.