The ruling BJP has become the largest political party in the world in the past five months taking its membership to 8.80 crore.
Points to Remember:
- The Communist Party of China was until now considered the largest party with about 8.60 crore members.
- The party hit the 8.80 crore mark on 29th March 2015.
- BJP expects its membership to cross 10 crore by the end of the march.
- Party president Amit Shah will announce the final figure at the national executive to be held in Bangalore on 3-4 April 2015
- Enrollment through missed calls is a huge improvement.
- The membership drive will officially come to an end on March 31 but there are chances that it may be extended in a few states like Maharashtra.
Benefits Of New Scheme:
- The party can scrutinize registrations by calling up numbers from where missed calls originated.
- The phone numbers also provide the party with a way to maintain ‘live’ contact with members to update them on developments and explain decisions as well as the context in which they are taken.
- The party’s ambitious, hi-tech online membership drive was launched by Modi on November 1 last year when he became a member by dialling a telephone number followed by Shah who became the second member.